What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** 2018 World Cup thread (and Drinking Guide) (3 Viewers)

Final goal count - 169 total.  None by 2014's club leader, Bayern Munich.  thanks to everyone for humoring me with this

Goals By Club

Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) - 12

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - 12

Barcelona (ESP) - 11

Real Madrid (ESP) - 10

Atlético Madrid (ESP) - 8

Manchester United (ENG) - 8

Manchester City (ENG) - 5

Villarreal (ESP) - 5

Chelsea (ENG) - 4

CSKA Moscow (RUS) - 4

Juventus (ITA) - 4

Liverpool (ENG) - 4

Arsenal Tula (RUS) - 3

Beşiktaş (TUR) - 3

Borussia Dortmund (GER) - 3

Internazionale (ITA) - 3

Krasnodar (RUS) - 3

Aston Villa (ENG 2) - 2

Eibar (ESP) - 2

Hoffenheim (GER) - 2

RB Leipzig (GER) - 2

Stade Rennais (FRA) - 2

West Bromwich Albion (ENG) - 2

Al-Ettifaq (KSA) - 1

Al-Hilal (KSA) - 1

Al-Nassr (KSA) - 1

Arsenal (ENG) - 1

Augsburg (GER) - 1

Beijing Sinobo Guoan (CHN) - 1

Bologna (ITA) - 1

Borussia Mönchengladbach (GER) - 1

Celta Vigo (ESP) - 1

Eintracht Frankfurt (GER) - 1

Eupen (BEL) - 1

Everton (ENG) - 1

FC Köln (GER) - 1

Fiorentina (ITA) - 1

Flamengo (BRA) - 1

Fortuna Düsseldorf (GER 2) - 1

Fulham (ENG 2) - 1

Gent (BEL) - 1

Guangzhou Evergrande (CHN) - 1

Huddersfield Town (ENG) - 1

Leicester City (ENG) - 1

Los Angeles FC (USA) - 1

Málaga (ESP) - 1

Monaco (FRA) - 1

Municipal (GUA) - 1

Napoli (ITA) - 1

Olympiacos (GRE) - 1

Pachuca (MEX) - 1

PSV Eindhoven (NED) - 1

Real Sociedad (ESP) - 1

River Plate (ARG) - 1

Roma (ITA) - 1

Sevilla (ESP) - 1

Southampton (ENG) - 1

Stoke City (ENG) - 1

Stuttgart (GER) - 1

Torino (ITA) - 1

Toulouse (FRA) - 1

Vancouver Whitecaps (CAN) - 1

Watford (ENG) - 1

Werder Bremen (GER) - 1

West Ham United (ENG) - 1

Yeni Malatyaspor (TUR) - 1

(OG) Al Ahly (EGY) - 1

(OG) Borussia Mönchengladbach (GER) - 1

(OG) Bursaspor (TUR) - 1

(OG) Club América (MEX) - 1

(OG) CS Sfaxien (TUN) - 1

(OG) CSKA Moscow (RUS) - 1

(OG) Juventus (ITA) - 1

(OG) Las Palmas (ESP) - 1

(OG) Manchester City (ENG) - 1

(OG) S.P.A.L. (ITA) - 1

(OG) St. Pauli (GER 2) - 1

(OG) Villarreal (ESP) - 1

Goals By League

Premier League - 43

La Liga - 40

Ligue 1 - 16

Bundesliga - 13

Serie A - 12

Russian Premier League - 10

Turkish Süper Lig - 4

English Championship - 3

Saudi Professional League - 3

Belgian Pro League - 2

Chinese Super League - 2

Major League Soccer - 2

2. Bundesliga - 1

Argentine Primera División - 1

Campeonato Brasileiro Série A - 1

Eredivisie - 1

Liga Nacional de Fútbol de Guatemala - 1

LigaMX - 1

Super League Greece - 1

(OG) La Liga - 2

(OG) Serie A - 2

(OG) 2. Bundesliga - 1

(OG) Bundesliga - 1

(OG) Egyptian Premier League - 1

(OG) LigaMX - 1

(OG) Premier League - 1

(OG) Russian Premier League - 1

(OG) Tunisian Ligue Professionnelle 1 - 1

(OG) Turkish Süper Lig - 1
FYP...

ETA - thanks for keeping up with this  :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting really rowdy especially where large crowds can gather.   Almost turned over a taxi cab trying to drive thru.   Most places seem to be fun and cheerful, but where there are mobs of people it is out of control.  Can hear police sirens going all over the place 

:goodposting:

I think there are a number of posts before the tournament talking about the depth of the squad, and the quality of the players who did not even make the squad.  Insane amount of talent in France right now.

I think the question was always whether they could put it all together and play a coherent match. 

In retrospect, I think the combination of Kante/Pogba and Mbappe/Griezmann with a little Giroud thrown in, was enough to win by themselves.

I've not always appreciated Giroud the way @Ramsay Hunt Experience does, but watching him today, and how he dominated his position in winning the balls in the air, and his ability to hold up play to bring Griezmann and Mbappe in was as big a part of the winning combo as any.
Again, for me I don't even think France came close to putting it all together. Croatia played better/more clearly as a team through tourney, but enough moment and pockets of it working carried them through. And the back line with Kante and Pogba in front of them playing incredibly consistently and lights out. Umtiti was a monster. Even lloris played at the top of his game. They shut everybody down...and even though they were on their heels today, held it together ling enough to wear Croatia down and get their breaks.

Once they get the MF linked with the  forwards as well as they linked with the back line...whoa. This France team is going to be scary for another 2wc cycles.

I think Moscow and Qatar are similar time zones (UTC+3) so the games will likely be similar to the Moscow games.
They are in the time zone so mostly like the Matches will be at the same time. It might vary because even during Winter temps are still ridiculously hot during the day. I could maybe see matches earlier in the day or having them at the typical 2 slot at what would be their 7 or leaving it to 3-4PM here and 8-9 there. All depends on the temps and what UEFA feels is reasonable safe for the players and fans. 

Bet everything you own that this will never happen.
Like I said unconfirmed. I'd be shocked if it did. Those leagues might have to go to an MLS schedule for that season at least or the next two like the 21-22 season wouldn't be over till late may June. So They'd probably have to have some sort of daily. Or maybe they do what Russian League and some of the leagues with harsher winters do and have a huge winter break don't play games until Mid-Late Jan start of Feb

1. I've only been watching since '06, but this is probably the best WC that I've seen.

2. I've already said this a couple times here, but I don't know how I'll handle it when the USMNT are back in it.

3. This thread definitely enhance my enjoyment of the tournament.

4. Important question: how many of you are going to switch back to your previous avatars now that it's over?  For some reason, I've felt more confident and powerful since changing mine, so I'm not sure I want to change it anymore, ever.

Did anyone else notice through out the tournament a slow but steady reluctance of the players feeling forced to kick it out of bounds every time the opponent went down?

I hope this continues into the club season as this is one piece of etiquette I would like see be removed from the game entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I've only been watching since '06, but this is probably the best WC that I've seen.

2. I've already said this a couple times here, but I don't know how I'll handle it when the USMNT are back in it.

3. This thread definitely enhance my enjoyment of the tournament.

4. Important question: how many of you are going to switch back to your previous avatars now that it's over?  For some reason, I've felt more confident and powerful since changing mine, so I'm not sure I want to change it anymore, ever.
It's the Zlatan effect. DOnt worry about it as it's completely natural. Once you Zlatan you never go back. 

Again, for me I don't even think France came close to putting it all together. Croatia played better/more clearly as a team through tourney, but enough moment and pockets of it working carried them through. And the back line with Kante and Pogba in front of them playing incredibly consistently and lights out. Umtiti was a monster. Even lloris played at the top of his game. They shut everybody down...and even though they were on their heels today, held it together ling enough to wear Croatia down and get their breaks.

Once they get the MF linked with the  forwards as well as they linked with the back line...whoa. This France team is going to be scary for another 2wc cycles.
Meh...i think they'll have run their course by Oct '22...

Giroud played his part for the team but I still think they would have been even more dangerous with Big Benz up there :shrug:  then again I had to watch the last 2 games sober on the boat and France won so wtf do I know

First day after the World Cup and definitely felt symptoms of withdrawal this morning.  Had to drive children to camps in the mountains last weekend, so I ended up watching the final on a tv in a restaurant with less than optimal reception.  Still, at least they had the good sense to play music over it instead of the Fox commentary.  Some of my belated observations:

• In reading some of your comments, I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who came away more impressed with Croatia than France.  I felt that Croatia passed the ball really well and played positive football from the get-go.  Had a bad break on the first goal (which I thought was set up with a weak foul call), and got unlucky on the pk.  Perisic just spazzed at the wrong time.  If he lets it go through, it goes to a teammate ready to clear it.  That said, France is a deserving champion who had a higher ceiling than just about every other team in the tournament.  Part of me feels a little cheated we fans didn't get to see more of it from them.
  • Croatia's keeper was not very good.  He looked screened on Pogba's goal, but I felt he was caught way too flat-footed on Mbappe's goal.  Perhaps he doesn't get there, but he should have been able to at least muster a dive for it.
  • Apart from the soft foul call that set up the first goal, I didn't have any big problems with the officiating.  I thought it was good to see a ref give a card for persistent fouling in the first half to Kante, as it was deserved.  I guess I'm used to CONCACAF's general philosophy of letting players kick each other to death before considering a card.
  • No idea what Lloris was thinking, unless he was trying to agitate for a transfer to Liverpool.
  • The red and white checkerboard jerseys are great.  Glad we finally got to see them this tournament.
  • Mbappe must be terrifying to defend.  That acceleration is such a devastating weapon.
  • Saw a clip of Infantino autographing a ball during the match and I was wondering, who the hell is asking him for an autograph?  The only thing I'd want a FIFA official to sign is a confession.
  • This was such an enjoyable World Cup.  This board helped make the experience more fun as well.  Looking forward to the next one in 2026  ;)

First day after the World Cup and definitely felt symptoms of withdrawal this morning.  Had to drive children to camps in the mountains last weekend, so I ended up watching the final on a tv in a restaurant with less than optimal reception.  Still, at least they had the good sense to play music over it instead of the Fox commentary.  Some of my belated observations:

• In reading some of your comments, I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who came away more impressed with Croatia than France.  I felt that Croatia passed the ball really well and played positive football from the get-go.  Had a bad break on the first goal (which I thought was set up with a weak foul call), and got unlucky on the pk.  Perisic just spazzed at the wrong time.  If he lets it go through, it goes to a teammate ready to clear it.  That said, France is a deserving champion who had a higher ceiling than just about every other team in the tournament.  Part of me feels a little cheated we fans didn't get to see more of it from them.
  • Croatia's keeper was not very good.  He looked screened on Pogba's goal, but I felt he was caught way too flat-footed on Mbappe's goal.  Perhaps he doesn't get there, but he should have been able to at least muster a dive for it.
  • Apart from the soft foul call that set up the first goal, I didn't have any big problems with the officiating.  I thought it was good to see a ref give a card for persistent fouling in the first half to Kante, as it was deserved.  I guess I'm used to CONCACAF's general philosophy of letting players kick each other to death before considering a card.
  • No idea what Lloris was thinking, unless he was trying to agitate for a transfer to Liverpool.
  • The red and white checkerboard jerseys are great.  Glad we finally got to see them this tournament.
  • Mbappe must be terrifying to defend.  That acceleration is such a devastating weapon.
  • Saw a clip of Infantino autographing a ball during the match and I was wondering, who the hell is asking him for an autograph?  The only thing I'd want a FIFA official to sign is a confession.
  • This was such an enjoyable World Cup.  This board helped make the experience more fun as well.  Looking forward to the next one in 2026  ;)
I agree with the Subasic comments only in reference to yesterday's game.  He was massive in the other knockout rounds.

https://twitter.com/GregFarrimond/status/1016729311032889347

"to stop a Belgium side packed with some of the Premier League's finest talent, and Fellaini"

:lmao: :fro: :lmao:
guys, didnt see if it was posted earlier but this gets better!!!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/13/fox-sports-world-cup-coverage-soccer-criticism

The Stone-Lalas dumbumvirate sums up Fox's botched World Cup coverage

The broadcaster’s efforts at Russia 2018 were the TV equivalent of Marouane Fellaini, a player who tries to do everything and succeeds at almost nothing

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/13/fox-sports-world-cup-coverage-soccer-criticism

The broadcaster’s efforts at Russia 2018 were the TV equivalent of Marouane Fellaini, a player who tries to do everything and succeeds at almost nothing

Stu Holden has been among the best of the commentators, despite having a voice with all the command of an out-of-his-depth instructor at summer camp

:lmao:

Get on those cigs, Stu

Stu Holden has been among the best of the commentators, despite having a voice with all the command of an out-of-his-depth instructor at summer camp

:lmao:

Get on those cigs, Stu
I’ve even grown to like Tony Meola, whose every lachrymose regular-shmo sentence sounds like it should end with him inviting you round to his place for burgers and Buds

And the longer version for  :fro:  at the end:

Instead its coverage has ended up as the broadcasting equivalent of Marouane Fellaini: neither attacking nor defending, stuck in transition, a player that tries to do everything and succeeds at almost nothing.

I agree with the others who said Giroud did a lot of work in the WC that won't show up in the stats sheet but there is one stat I just can't ignore.

He played 560 minutes, which does not include injury time, and managed exactly 0 shots on net.

They did not keep shot records in the past but it would not shock me if this is the first time ever a striker from a good team has played any where near that amount of time with no shots on net in WC history.

I agree with the others who said Giroud did a lot of work in the WC that won't show up in the stats sheet but there is one stat I just can't ignore.

He played 560 minutes, which does not include injury time, and managed exactly 0 shots on net.

They did not keep shot records in the past but it would not shock me if this is the first time ever a striker from a good team has played any where near that amount of time with no shots on net in WC history.
Surely, me picking him as my Golden Boot winner had a hand in this. My predictions have been the kiss of death from day one in this tournament. Not just wrong, but in many cases my foresight turned out to be the exact opposite of how things played out.

Regarding the Lloris mistake, I expect some folks pointed out that Mandzukic was making those runs to harass Lloris on back passes from the first minute. It was really impressive from the old man and the goal was 100% earned for that reason. Maybe Lloris was being a bit arrogant, not wanting to show any concern for Mandzukic's constant pressure.

Croatia needed penalties to beat Denmark and Russia and ET to eliminate England.  France beat Argentina, Uruguay and Belgium and then beat Croatia 4-2.  This idea from some people that Croatia was better is kind of ludicrous.  
If Denmark had tried harder in their last group game perhaps Croatia would have been eliminated in the Round of 16.   (Fun woulda coulda shoulda rabbit hole to go down given the way the bracket gets put together). 

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread