What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** 2018 World Cup thread (and Drinking Guide) (1 Viewer)

I found a FM18 database that has the World Cup groups/schedules already set up (only real quirk I have seen is that apparently Leon Bailey is eligible for Belgium (in addition to Jamaica and England, and he chooses Belgium in this set-up).  I am going to try to get through 100+ simulations of the WC using their updated winter database.

This is a summary of the first 5 runs:

Group A

Team    Total Points (5 trials)
Uruguay  29
Egypt   23
Russia  22
Saudi Arabia 10

Times Advancing: Uruguay 5, Russia 3, Egypt 2, Saudi 0

Group B

Spain  37
Portugal 32
Morocco  9
Iran 6

Advancing: Spain 5, Portugal 5

Group C

France    39
Denmark  28
Peru  12
Australia  6

Advancing: France 5, Denmark 4, Australia 1

Group D 

Argentina    39
Croatia    25
Nigeria   12
Iceland   6

Advancing: Argentina 5, Croatia 3, Nigeria 2

Group E

Brazil   39
Costa Rica  17
Serbia  16
Switzerland 10

Advancing: Brazil 5, Costa Rica 2, Serbia 2, Switzerland 1

Group F

Germany   36
Sweden   28
Mexico    19
South Korea 2

Advancing: Germany 5, Sweden 3, Mexico 2

Group G

Belgium     39
England   36
Tunisia     11
Panama    2

Advancing: Belgium 5, England 5

Group H

Colombia    33
Senegal     28
Poland     22
Japan     5

Advancing: Colombia 5, Senegal 3, Poland 2

Summary:

Winners:  France 2, Brazil 2, Spain 1
Times in Final 4:

3 - Brazil, Belgium, Spain
2 - England, Argentina, France, Uruguay
1 - Croatia, Germany, Serbia

Most Exciting game: Trial 4 Semi-Finals - Belgium defeated Argentina 6-6p (4-1); 4 goals were scored in extra-time.  Belgium leveled the match at both 90+2, and at 120.

Considering how tight Comnebol qualifying was, it seems weird to treat four Comnebol teams as prohibitive favorites while Peru does so poorly relative to Denmark.  Same with Mexico/Sweden.  Limited sample, of course.

Considering how tight Comnebol qualifying was, it seems weird to treat four Comnebol teams as prohibitive favorites while Peru does so poorly relative to Denmark.  Same with Mexico/Sweden.  Limited sample, of course.
Yeah, limited sample, plus I assume that European-based players are given higher ratings in general by FM - as much based on proximity and popularity.  Peru is probably the one Conmebol team without a big contingent playing in Europe, though Colombia probably only have a handful.

Summary:

Winners:  France 2, Brazil 2, Spain 1
Times in Final 4:

3 - Brazil, Belgium, Spain
2 - England, Argentina, France, Uruguay
1 - Croatia, Germany, Serbia

Most Exciting game: Trial 4 Semi-Finals - Belgium defeated Argentina 6-6p (4-1); 4 goals were scored in extra-time.  Belgium leveled the match at both 90+2, and at 120.
Are you tracking the Golden Boot?

Best Player   GK

A. Zivkovic    Ederson

Neymar         Ederson

Hazard         Ederson

Sterling         Lloris

Hazard          Rulli

Yes

5 different winners so far:

Golden BootGoals

Mandzukic 8

Firmino  7

Kane  12

Sterling  7

Hazard  7
He would officially become 'Sir Harold of Kane' with 12 WC goals.  Hell the royal family may even throw a few wombs his way to get Kane blood officially into the royal family.

Switzerland was one of the bottom feeders in my 5-trial simulation - pasting Panama 5-0 right now, with 40 minutes remaining.

In the runs, England and Belgium routed both Panama and Tunisia in almost every match.

Henry Bushnell watched tons of this past week's friendlies (I skipped them) and said that Belgium will be "the most entertaining team at the Cup." Vulnerable defensively (Martinez has told Toby that he needs minutes at Tot to make the team, amazing) but Lukaku, Mertens and Hazard up front with DeBruyne running behind them make every game an adventure.

Been thinking about England and their chances.  I really think they should bring back Milner for the WC.  His high energy is definitely needed.  For that matter, why not start the midfield that has served Liverpool so well?  Surely if Liverpool can advance to the semi-finals, Milner/Henderson/Ox are good enough to get through Panama and Tunisia.

Kane

Alli/Sterling

Milner/Ox

Hendo

Not bad....

Not to steal your thunder but top of head I go (for England)

Pickford

Walker      Stones     Cahill       Rose?

Dier            Henderson

Sterling           Alli                     Rashford

Kane

As always, I like the lineup but they'll disappoint.
So Southgate is committed to three at the back (and probably a 3-5-2).   Who knows if it's motivation, but he's benched Alli in favor of Lingard (maybe Gareth's a big Milly Rock fan).  He's played Walker as part of the 3 CBs at times, which seems odd until you remember that Stones and Harry Maguire appear to be locks right now and he's looking at guys like Alfie Mawson and Joe Gomez in that slot.  He appears to want a technical player as one of the three in that Azpilicueta/Monreal way that's kind of en vogue now.   Going two up top leaves two out of Sterling, Varney, and Rashford out in the cold.  Which seems odd when each of them can play on the wing.  Rose still seems to be set at LWB despite not doing anything for his club this year.  So maybe something like this.  

Pickford

Walker              Stones          Maguire

Trippier                               Dier                                Rose

Ox                 Lingard

Sterling

Kane

That back seven ... does not inspire confidence.  I don't think it's anything close to what the favorites will be rolling out, so once again pound the opposite and get your bets in.  Alli, Cahill, Ryan Bertrand or even Ashley Young wouldn't shock me.  

Germany and France are both spoiled for choice, but while I feel that Germany would be fine going a number of different ways (play Werner up top?  Muller?  Sandro Wagner as the Teutonic Andy Carrol?), I think France has super complicated balance issues.  No idea whether they'll play a true #9 or try to use Griezemann or M'Bappe in that role.  No idea how to set up the midfield to allow Pogba to do what he does best or whether they can afford a Payet or Lemar in the lineup or need more ball winners.  And the backline feels very much in transition.  Can't remember the last time they didn't play Koscielny, but Umtiti/Varane seem the most intuitive partnership.  Loris and Mandanda are also both past their Sold By dates.  

I'd probably move France out of my big favorites category and put Spain in right now.  Even if Spain has their own questions at striker.  

If Fox is going to have a ####show, they might as well bring back Gus Johnson for the full effect.

PORTUGAL PRELIMINARY SQUAD 

Goalkeepers: Anthony Lopes (Lyon), Beto (Goztepe), Rui PatrIcio (Sporting)

Defenders: Antunes (Getafe), Bruno Alves (Rangers), Cedric Soares (Southampton), Joao Cancelo (Inter), Jose Fonte (Dalian Yifang), Luis Neto (Fenerbahce), Mario Rui (Napoles), Nelson Semedo (Barcelona), Pepe (Besiktas), Raphael Guerreiro (Dortmund), Ricardo Pereira (Porto), Rolando (Marselha), Ruben Dias (Benfica)

Midfielders: Adrien Silva (Leicester), Andre Gomes (Barcelona), Bruno Fernandes (Sporting), Joao Mario (West Ham), Joao Moutinho (Monaco), Manuel Fernandes (Lokomotiv Moscow), Ruben Neves (Wolves), Sergio Oliveira (Porto), William Carvalho (Sporting)

Forwards: Andre Silva (AC Milan), Bernardo Silva (Manchester City), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Eder (Lokomotiv Moscow), Gelson Martins (Sporting), Goncalo Guedes (Valencia), Nani (Lazio), Paulinho (Braga), Ricardo Quaresma (Besiktas), Ronny Lopes (Monaco)

If the defense holds up again(soooo old), they could make another run as there's a good combo of veterans and youth. 

Wait, I totally missed the Jose Fonte to China news. It apparently doesn't take much for something to slip past me these days.

To Russia. with Löw (stolen from the second article linked)
Germany's provisional squad:
Goalkeepers: Bernd Leno (Bayer Leverkusen), Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Barcelona), Kevin Trapp (Paris Saint-Germain)

Defenders: Jerome Boateng (Bayern), Jonas Hector (Cologne), Matthias Ginter (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Mats Hummels (Bayern), Joshua Kimmich (Bayern), Marvin Plattenhardt (Hertha Berlin), Antonio Rüdiger (Chelsea), Niklas Süle (Bayern), Jonathan Tah (Bayer Leverkusen)

Midfielders: Julian Brandt (Leverkusen), Julian Draxler (PSG), Leon Goretzka (Schalke), Ilkay Gündogan (Manchester City), Sami Khedira (Juventus), Toni Kroos (Real Madrid), Mesut Özil (Arsenal), Sebastian Rudy (Bayern)

Forwards: Mario Gomez (VfB Stuttgart), Thomas Müller (Bayern), Nils Petersen (Freiburg) Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Leroy Sane (Man City), Timo Werner (RB Leipzig)
From this bundelsiga.com article

A look at possible German lineups

Löw signs on through 2022

To Russia. with Löw (stolen from the second article linked)
Germany's provisional squad:
Goalkeepers: Bernd Leno (Bayer Leverkusen), Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Barcelona), Kevin Trapp (Paris Saint-Germain)

Defenders: Jerome Boateng (Bayern), Jonas Hector (Cologne), Matthias Ginter (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Mats Hummels (Bayern), Joshua Kimmich (Bayern), Marvin Plattenhardt (Hertha Berlin), Antonio Rüdiger (Chelsea), Niklas Süle (Bayern), Jonathan Tah (Bayer Leverkusen)

Midfielders: Julian Brandt (Leverkusen), Julian Draxler (PSG), Leon Goretzka (Schalke), Ilkay Gündogan (Manchester City), Sami Khedira (Juventus), Toni Kroos (Real Madrid), Mesut Özil (Arsenal), Sebastian Rudy (Bayern)

Forwards: Mario Gomez (VfB Stuttgart), Thomas Müller (Bayern), Nils Petersen (Freiburg) Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Leroy Sane (Man City), Timo Werner (RB Leipzig)
From this bundelsiga.com article

A look at possible German lineups

Löw signs on through 2022
I like the lineup they have in that link.  Crazy that Sane and Draxler will be benched though.

PORTUGAL PRELIMINARY SQUAD 

Goalkeepers: Anthony Lopes (Lyon), Beto (Goztepe), Rui PatrIcio (Sporting)

Defenders: Antunes (Getafe), Bruno Alves (Rangers), Cedric Soares (Southampton), Joao Cancelo (Inter), Jose Fonte (Dalian Yifang), Luis Neto (Fenerbahce), Mario Rui (Napoles), Nelson Semedo (Barcelona), Pepe (Besiktas), Raphael Guerreiro (Dortmund), Ricardo Pereira (Porto), Rolando (Marselha), Ruben Dias (Benfica)

Midfielders: Adrien Silva (Leicester), Andre Gomes (Barcelona), Bruno Fernandes (Sporting), Joao Mario (West Ham), Joao Moutinho (Monaco), Manuel Fernandes (Lokomotiv Moscow), Ruben Neves (Wolves), Sergio Oliveira (Porto), William Carvalho (Sporting)

Forwards: Andre Silva (AC Milan), Bernardo Silva (Manchester City), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Eder (Lokomotiv Moscow), Gelson Martins (Sporting), Goncalo Guedes (Valencia), Nani (Lazio), Paulinho (Braga), Ricardo Quaresma (Besiktas), Ronny Lopes (Monaco)

If the defense holds up again(soooo old), they could make another run as there's a good combo of veterans and youth. 
Nice that we legalized sports betting just in time for me to lay some action on Pepe for first red card of the competition. 

Delph in at LFB over Bertrand for England. I don't actually think that's a bad decision, just that there wasn't much talk about it before.

CletiusMaximus said:
Odd that the world champions might start a LB who plays in the 2nd Bundesliga. 
Hector has been fine for Germany and I’m sure he’ll move this summer, but yeah 

Even more amusing is that England is bringing a guy who was relegated this year, a guy who was relegated last year, and a guy who has never played in the top level at GK.  The days of Banks, Shelton, and Seamon are long gone. 

Hector has been fine for Germany and I’m sure he’ll move this summer, but yeah 

Even more amusing is that England is bringing a guy who was relegated this year, a guy who was relegated last year, and a guy who has never played in the top level at GK.  The days of Banks, Shelton, and Seamon are long gone. 
Shilton. And you left out my favorite--Ray Clemence.

Users who are viewing this thread