What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MoviePass - Random number of random movies for random amounts on random days! (1 Viewer)

People have been complaining that they haven't gotten their movie cards from the last round of deals.

I can see where it wouldn't work for some and definitely wouldn't be useful for opening weekend. But as one who doesn't mind waiting, sometimes goes to movies alone, goes later at night, and goes to special screenings (like re-releases of older movies) this seems right up my alley.

It's actually been around for three years, but when it first started it was like $20-$30/month.

I have the movie pass.  It is a big tricky having to sign in 100 feet from the theater.  Alot of time, the app locks up when you are trying to sign in and often time movies times are blocked for popular movies.  Also seems like AMC is using them less and less.  But for 90 bucks, that is a pretty good deal.

I have the movie pass.  It is a big tricky having to sign in 100 feet from the theater.  Alot of time, the app locks up when you are trying to sign in and often time movies times are blocked for popular movies.  Also seems like AMC is using them less and less.  But for 90 bucks, that is a pretty good deal.
Yeah I've read AMC hates the idea. I don't know why - they're still getting the full price of the ticket.

Their site has a search by zip code that shows all available theaters. Not many excluded in my area.

15 years ago I would have been all over this.  I was partially employed and watching a ton of matinees. It's a good idea for theaters.  Any price they can get for empty seats is a bonus.  

Yeah I've read AMC hates the idea. I don't know why - they're still getting the full price of the ticket.

Their site has a search by zip code that shows all available theaters. Not many excluded in my area.
When I first heard about the new deal, and this part of it specifically, my gut feeling was that the company was about to go belly up and was trying to bring in as much cash as quickly as possible. 

When I first heard about the new deal, and this part of it specifically, my gut feeling was that the company was about to go belly up and was trying to bring in as much cash as quickly as possible. 
Yeah, it seems like the SNL skit for the First Citiwide Change Bank II 

Paul McElroy: A lot of people don't realize that change is a two-way street. You can come in with sixteen quarters, eight dimes, and four nickels - we can give you a five-dollar bill. Or we can give you five singles. Or two singles, eight quarters, and ten dimes. You'd be amazed at the variety of the options you have.

Customer #3: I was driving through Pennsylvania on the tollway, and to save time I was using the exact-change lanes. I had just run out of quarters, and I was getting a bit nervous when I spotted a sign for a Citiwide branch at the next exit. Let me tell you, it was a pretty good feeling.

Paul McElroy: I have had people come in with wrinkled ten-dollar bills to exchange for new crisp bills to put in birthday cards. We can handle special requests like that, usually in the same day.

Customer #4: I'd just returned from a business trip to London, and all the cash I had was a five-pound note. Citiwide wasn't able to convert it to dollars, but they did give me four guineas, two crowns, four shillings, and ten pence.

Paul McElroy: All the time, our customers ask us, "How do you make money doing this?" The answer is simple: Volume. That's what we do. 

I was going to do this when it was $10 a month a few weeks ago, but the reviews were so, so, so terrible it wasn't even worth the energy to see.  If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is... that's where I'm filing this until people are raving about it.

It’s only a matter of time until this goes away. Unsustainable business model. 

Virtually all movie theatres are listed as participating because they accept credit cards. Theatres do not have an agreement with mp. 

I suspect the “paying in advance” is another way for them to get cash up front, cuts down on cancellation losses and they hope people forget that they’re paying for yet another monthly subscription. 

I don't really see the negative to this...

My friend (Lombardi) has been using this for years...when it was $30/month.

I couldn't justify it because I just don't go that often.

But when it dropped to $10/month...I went for it.

It took a while to get here but it doesn't activate and charge you until you actually put your card number in the app.

After one movie...it's worth it for the month.

It's absolutely fantastic...I've had absolutely no issues at all using it.

And I use the movie incentive card along with it.

I log in...select the theater when I get out of my car...select the movie and time and it immediately saying "ticket reserved".

I go to the window...hand them my moviepass card and my theater incentive card...tell them the movie and time and bam!

I get my ticket and points...no cost.

Now it's $7/month...How could you possibly complain about this?

It took a while to get here but it doesn't activate and charge you until you actually put your card number in the app.

I log in...select the theater when I get out of my car...select the movie and time and it immediately saying "ticket reserved".

I go to the window...hand them my moviepass card and my theater incentive card...tell them the movie and time and bam!

As long as you can pay as you go, I don't see a reason to complain*. I just wouldn't hand them any money upfront beyond a month's cost. 

*- edit: Actually, can I complain about your rampant disregard for paragraph structure?  :P

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I could find one movie every month that I would be willing to go see let alone one per day.
Definitely not one per day, but Marvel is putting out 6 movies next year, add 2 star wars, a couple Disney movies, and whatever else is out, I'd have no problem finding 12 movies to see.

I might do this for a couple of my kids and me for Christmas. Only 2 really like going to movies in the theater.

Of course movie theaters hate the idea even though they're getting full price. Someone is trying to disrupt their entire industry. Moviepass is just trying to prove concept while losing buckets of money. 

Personally, I think it fails, but time will tell. 

Places like AMC don't need Moviepass anyways, they could simply offer this service directly to their consumer, if they wanted to.

This post got new to take the plunge.   I ordered in Tues... I'll let you know when I get the card. 

This could be awesome but I foresee being involved in a class action suit by Summer.  I'm sure in the Terms and Agreements they cover their ###, but you can't just come with an unsustainable business model, collect a bunch of money and then tell your customers SORRY! WERE GOING BYEBYE.  

figure I need to see about 16 movies to get my money's worth.  I probably blew it 

This post got new to take the plunge.   I ordered in Tues... I'll let you know when I get the card. 

This could be awesome but I foresee being involved in a class action suit by Summer.  I'm sure in the Terms and Agreements they cover their ###, but you can't just come with an unsustainable business model, collect a bunch of money and then tell your customers SORRY! WERE GOING BYEBYE.  

figure I need to see about 16 movies to get my money's worth.  I probably blew it 
Good luck, we're all counting on you.

:popcorn: to see how it turns out - I hope you get your money's worth.

I love going to the movies but the cost is out of control....for my family of 5 it is seriously $100 to see a movie when you add up snacks and tix.....I have gotten used to waiting for the DVD at this point but would love to see a Netflix/Napster like revolution as the current model is outdated and needs a shake up.  Thought I heard they were looking at new release movies to your home the day it opens for a $30 per viewing fee....love to see that happen!  

Anyway - havent seen this where I live but hope it starts changing this awful model....

cockroach said:

Not sure I understand the math?

It's like $85 for the year...

Movies cost about $11-$12 per movie...but let's say $10 for easy math...that's 8-9 movies to get your money's worth.

cockroach said:

From the first few parts of the terms of service, it seems more likely that they're planning on getting as many subscribers as possible with this plan in place and then implementing tiered plans with different limits on the number of movies you can see per month, hoping inertia keeps a lot of subscribers who wouldn't have signed up under those terms. 

Not sure I understand the math?

It's like $85 for the year...

Movies cost about $11-$12 per movie...but let's say $10 for easy math...that's 8-9 movies to get your money's worth.
I have two "dollar" theatres by my house that show new movies at matenee hrs for 5 bucks. 

Why would theaters be against this?  I'd wager that at least 50% of the people using this would be net new to buying tickets and they get to make bank on concessions. 

Hmmmm... I think I just got a msg saying I'll get my card tomorrow from UPS (can't recall ordering anything else)... if so, good start

I thought we had a thread on this but I can't find it. Anyway, if you prepay for a year's subscription, you could see one movie per day every day of the year...

For just $90 total.

MoviePass homepage
This idea is intriguing and I might subscribe to its newsletter.  

A lot of my moviegoing these days is buying in advance.  A few local AMCs sell reserved seats and I like to pick my seat ahead of time.  But we go so often, we are capable of coming out ahead on that subscription price.  Thanks for posting this!

Why would theaters be against this?  I'd wager that at least 50% of the people using this would be net new to buying tickets and they get to make bank on concessions. 
I was thinking the same thing.  The sweetest plumb for the theaters is selling 22 cents worth of Popcorn and Soda for $15.  They should champion nearly anything that provides movie goers with an incentive to go to the theater rather than "netflix and chill"

I love going to the movies but the cost is out of control....for my family of 5 it is seriously $100 to see a movie when you add up snacks and tix.....I have gotten used to waiting for the DVD at this point but would love to see a Netflix/Napster like revolution as the current model is outdated and needs a shake up.  Thought I heard they were looking at new release movies to your home the day it opens for a $30 per viewing fee....love to see that happen!  

Anyway - havent seen this where I live but hope it starts changing this awful model....
Be smart & do what my Grandparents & I did when I was a kid. Grandmother put the sodas/snacks in her purse and/or in my pockets if it fit. Win. Hell, I will still bring my own food/drink as an adult.

Be smart & do what my Grandparents & did when I was a kid. Grandmother pit the sodas/snacks in her purse and/or in my pockets if it fit. Win. Hell, I will still bring my own food/drink as an adult.
There is likely a correlation between people who believe that a new release movie in a leather recliner auditorium is worth $2 and those who virtually never buy concessions. 

There is likely a correlation between people who believe that a new release movie in a leather recliner auditorium is worth $2 and those who virtually never buy concessions. 
Not sure where I said anything about leather chairs or $2, but cool beans.

I was speaking to everyone who wants something for free. Heck, we all do! The $2 was just a number representing a low ticket price if you use mp and go to a few movies.
I also didn't say I wanted anything for free. We always paid for the movie tickets & the food/drink we brought. Just didn't buy it at the theater all the time. Not my fault we didn't have $ to waste.

Got my card in the 10 day window and am about to see my first movie.  Checking in and getting a ticket and crediting my newly acquired rewards card was a snap.  5 min max.  Should pay itself off within the month.  

Got our cards last week and saw movies Friday and Saturday evenings with no problems.  I then went by myself Sunday afternoon and saw "Three Billboards" (wife had no desire and had to study).  Almost feel like I'm stealing.

Btw, we (4 of us) only did the $10 monthly cards.  This can't last, can it?

You actually have to go to a theater to see the movie?   :kicksrock:  

Was hoping this was some new streaming service.  Maybe once a year we actually bother to go to a theater and are usually disappointed.  

After 1 week I've seen 6 movies and have 10,085 Regal Crown Club points (I guess 1,290 of that is from a ticket we actually paid for).  I think you get a free ticket at 14 or 15k.  7k for a free small popcorn or drink.  I guess technically it's already paid itself off.  Not regretting the purchase at all. 

Told ya...it's an incredible deal.

Lock in the year rate...you'll see $80 in movies in a month or two easily.

My son and I go at least twice a week now.

Users who are viewing this thread