What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wentz vs Dak (1 Viewer)

You're a GM and you get to pick one of these 2 QBs to lead your franchise for the next 10 years. Wh

• Wentz

Votes: 108 90.0%
  • Dak

Votes: 12 10.0%

• Total voters
From that class

1 Wentz

2a Dak

2b Goff

Gap

4 brissett (could start for a while or be a valued backup for almost any team)

Gap (might fill in as backup, needs the right circumstances to be successful)

5a Kessler

5b Lynch

I honestly don't understand how this is even a conversation.  

ETA:  Judging by the poll results so far, I'm not alone in that sentiment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don't understand how this is even a conversation.  

ETA:  Judging by the poll results so far, I'm not alone in that sentiment.
:lol: 26-0

Dak is and should continue to be a good franchise QB. Wentz could be the best in the league.

28-0.  

The sharp minds on this messageboard are what keeps me coming back.   :thumbup:

I agree with what the poster above said. This could end up being the best QB draft since the Eli/Rivers/Big Ben year. 

28-0.  

The sharp minds on this messageboard are what keeps me coming back.   :thumbup:

I agree with what the poster above said. This could end up being the best QB draft since the Eli/Rivers/Big Ben year. 
I don’t know. That year Locker, Gabbert and Ponder all went top 12 (omg) was pretty impressive. 

:X

I'd like to evaluate this when both teams are at full health. JUST a little biased putting this up now.
Of course there is a recency bias.  I'm also neither an Eagles fan or Cowboys fan.  I only put it up because of the debate going on in the game thread.  But the results so far are still overwhelming.  We've done quite a few similar Brady/Manning threads immediately after one of their big matchups and the results were never quite this lopsided.

I'd like to evaluate this when both teams are at full health. JUST a little biased putting this up now.
Dallas has only been shorthanded the past two weeks.  And Wentz has been playing MVP-level football all season and that's without his third down back (Sproles) and his 10 time pro bowler Jason Peters.  I don't feel that Wentz is head and shoulders better like he appeared to be last night. That was a rare terrible game for Prescott. But the separation in talent/skills has been evident all year.  Including when Dallas was at full strength.  

I don't know what team you like, I'm just saying this in general...... Does any team's fan base cry about injuries more than Dallas fans? Two years ago, Romo got hurt early on and all we heard was how it was a lost season.  This year, they were making excuses about the Eagles game a week before the game was to be played.  So many teams are dealing with injuries this year. And other than Green Bay (which is understandable), I don't hear one teams' fans constantly using it as an excuse. Hell, Minnesota lost its starting quarterback and its stud running back.  They are currently 8-2.  

would be a fun poll if we did all starting QBs in the league. my guess is Wentz and Dak would be top 5 (if we are talking about more then just this year, which we should)

Dak has looked a lot more average without Tyron Smith at LT. Cowboys kept running vs. PHI because they didn't trust Dak to make throws with pressure. Not sure about the gameplan, it's like they were still shell shocked from the ATL game.

would be a fun poll if we did all starting QBs in the league. my guess is Wentz and Dak would be top 5 (if we are talking about more then just this year, which we should)
Would be interesting. I think the consensus top 3 for the last five years has been Brady, Rodgers, Brees.  But with all of them being older, I wonder who teams would pick if they could have any QB in the league right now to go forward with.  I'm thinking probably Rodgers. Because he's still great and also should have 5 more peak years left. After that, I'd say Wentz. Then who?  Watson? Prescott? Derek Carr? Goff? Cousins?  Interesting question.

Ed Werder ✔@EdwerderRFA

I polled 8 NFL GMs asking whether they preferred @dak or @cj_wentz Results: Seven took Wentz, each citing his superior skills as pocket passer. The other GM took Dak to prevent it from being unanimous.

9:35 AM - Nov 19, 2017

I'm far from a cowboys fan, and I voted for Dak.  Ask this question last year.
I'm more interested in improvement and where they seem headed.  Last year, Jameis Winston may have been in the conversation. And look how badly he regressed. 2016 Prescott had the absolute ideal situation. Best running back in the league and best line in the league. All staying healthy. It would have been hard not to succeed. 

Ed Werder ✔@EdwerderRFA

I polled 8 NFL GMs asking whether they preferred @dak or @cj_wentz Results: Seven took Wentz, each citing his superior skills as pocket passer. The other GM took Dak to prevent it from being unanimous.

9:35 AM - Nov 19, 2017
Pretty much parallels our poll,.

I'm more interested in improvement and where they seem headed.  Last year, Jameis Winston may have been in the conversation. And look how badly he regressed. 2016 Prescott had the absolute ideal situation. Best running back in the league and best line in the league. All staying healthy. It would have been hard not to succeed. 
I agree.  But the absence of Zeke and Smith definitely plays a part.  Injuries on defense also play a part.  Dak just doesn't have the consistency this year.

I agree.  But the absence of Zeke and Smith definitely plays a part.  Injuries on defense also play a part.  Dak just doesn't have the consistency this year.
Dallas had a strong running game last night.  Maybe not Zeke-strong, but certainly as respectable as 90% of the league's QBs have to play with every week. Most quarterbacks don't have Elliott.   I agree that losing a pro bowl left tackle hurts, but there was another quarterback on the field who also lost his.  One of the reasons that Brady and Rodgers are the best two QBs in the year is the fact that they play great regardless of who is on the field with them. Jordy goes down, ands Rodgers makes a star out of Davante Adams. Brady was without Gronk most of last year. And Edelman. They don't need perfect conditions to be great. They're just great. 

I'm a die-hard Cowboys fan and I think Wentz is the more talented football player.

That said, I'm absolutely thrilled to have Dak. I've tried to watch and listen to his every move available on the internet over the past two years, and there isn't one thing I don't love about the kid. The dude is a warrior and has the heart of a lion. I'll take these lumps and growing pains. Twenty-something games into his career, he will only get better. 

Other than Wentz, there isn't another young gun out there that most every NFL GM would want as the cornerstone of their franchise. 

If we were just talking about this week sure. But Zeke has been there most of the year.

I'm a die-hard Cowboys fan and I think Wentz is the more talented football player.

That said, I'm absolutely thrilled to have Dak. I've tried to watch and listen to his every move available on the internet over the past two years, and there isn't one thing I don't love about the kid. The dude is a warrior and has the heart of a lion. I'll take these lumps and growing pains. Twenty-something games into his career, he will only get better. 

Other than Wentz, there isn't another young gun out there that most every NFL GM would want as the cornerstone of their franchise. 

Plus the fact that you guys got him in the fourth round.  He's a great find.  Wentz, Prescott, and Cousins (if Wash. is smart) is going to be an awesome division for quarterback play for the next decade. 

I'm far from a cowboys fan, and I voted for Dak.  Ask this question last year.
I would have said Wentz. Dak without Elliott is a ham and egger. It's easy to look good behind the best OL in the game and having a good RB running behind that line.

I would have said Wentz. Dak without Elliott is a ham and egger. It's easy to look good behind the best OL in the game and having a good RB running behind that line.
You say a great deal of stupid stuff.  That one is up there.  Everyone know you don't think black men can play QB.  It's well documented.

Not a homer for either team, but I think it's silly to have this discussion right now. Think back over the past 15 years and imagine how many twists and turns the Brady vs. Manning debate has had. Sure, looking back on it now, it would be hard to argue that Brady didn't ultimately "win", but you might have gotten different answers in 2004, 2006 and 2013.

The fact that Wentz is so far ahead in the voting is largely a function of the Eagles being 9-1 and having just destroyed Dallas last night. We have no idea where the two of these guys will be two, five or ten years from now.

Not a homer for either team, but I think it's silly to have this discussion right now. Think back over the past 15 years and imagine how many twists and turns the Brady vs. Manning debate has had. Sure, looking back on it now, it would be hard to argue that Brady didn't ultimately "win", but you might have gotten different answers in 2004, 2006 and 2013.
Yeah but the question as asked.....

The fact that Wentz is so far ahead in the voting is largely a function of the Eagles being 9-1 and having just destroyed Dallas last night. We have no idea where the two of these guys will be two, five or ten years from now.
Excellent point.

Wentz is the correct answer, but I hop[e you're just trolling with the ham and egger comment about Prescott. Otherwise, nothing else you ever post can be read with any credibility. 

I disagree that this mirrors those debates.  Very, very early in their careers they were both labeled great/ elite.  That's what made the debate fun because of the constant back and forth.  Right now neither Wentz or Dak are elite QB's, however, Wentz appears to be on the doorstep.  

Wentz is the correct answer, but I hop[e you're just trolling with the ham and egger comment about Prescott. Otherwise, nothing else you ever post can be read with any credibility. 
On 11/20/17 he's right.  Ive mentioned it in other threads but through a very small sample size of 2 games without Zeke, Dak has been atrocious.  There's no other way to put it.  In a few weeks or years his statement can be wrong but today it's 100% accurate. He's even looked terrible in garbage time...that kind of bad.

I disagree that this mirrors those debates.  Very, very early in their careers they were both labeled great/ elite.  That's what made the debate fun because of the constant back and forth.  Right now neither Wentz or Dak are elite QB's, however, Wentz appears to be on the doorstep.  
In 2002, Brady had already won a Super Bowl, but no one was viewing him as elite. If you had asked this question, the vote would have been as heavily in favor of Manning as this one is in favor of Wentz.

On 11/20/17 he's right.  Ive mentioned it in other threads but through a very small sample size of 2 games without Zeke, Dak has been atrocious.  There's no other way to put it.  In a few weeks or years his statement can be wrong but today it's 100% accurate. He's even looked terrible in garbage time...that kind of bad.
I think this is less a matter of 2 games without zeke and more a matter of 2 games without Tyron smith

In 2002, Brady had already won a Super Bowl, but no one was viewing him as elite. If you had asked this question, the vote would have been as heavily in favor of Manning as this one is in favor of Wentz.
He started with 2004, that's why I responded the way I did.  Pretty sure at that time both were considered elite, or maybe I'm misremembering

I think this is less a matter of 2 games without zeke and more a matter of 2 games without Tyron smith
Very well could be

EthnicFury said:
There are a lot of teams in the league with a lot worse offensive lines than Dallas currently has without Smith. 

Pip's Invitation said:
You're right. It's not really fair to judge Wentz when Jason Peters and Darren Sproles are missing. 
Sproles doesn't really apply to the situation as much as Zeke.  But the tackle situation comes down to who has the better backup.  I don't know the answer to that question.

It's not even a question between these two right now, but you have to acknowledge that a QB couldn't have a better supporting cast to succeed than Wentz does. From the coaching to the o-line, backs, receivers, tight ends and defense, it's what any QB dreams of. He's obviously extremely talented as well, in seemingly new ways every week, and seems to have the character you want in a QB. I'm not taking anything away from him in that respect. The more interesting question might be, where would these two be if they switched teams?

I can't wait to see how Wentz responds to playoff pressure. I'm definitely rooting for him but nervous at the same time.

CentralPA said:
@Sigmund Bloom and Waldman a few weeks back said Dak on the Thursday night hang out I believe.  Wonder if they still think that.
Seriously? I like these guys but man, the ranks this year make me scratch my head and wonder if these guys actually WATCH and digest entire games. 

Users who are viewing this thread