What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lena Dunham accused of hipster racism (1 Viewer)

You can't even satirize this; this is so awesome to watch the left eat its own these days. 

Oh yeah, you see the larvae, I see the larvae...

go for it!  

You can't even satirize this; this is so awesome to watch the left eat its own these days. 

go for it!  
On the other hand, the source is Fox so 98% chance it's not even worth the click. I hate Dunham though, so whatever. 

No, that would be regular racism. 

Did you read the article or just the headline?
Did you? The woman talked about how one of Lena's friends used the N-word repeatedly and would say it was a joke any time she was called on it. She provided this example when defining hipster racism

:shrug:

Why not link to the writer's (Zinzi Clemmons) own post - you know, the source material?

The accusation seems to be that some of Dunham's friends/circle engaged in racism. I don't see anything indicating Dunham was engaging in the racism herself, except by associating with these people. The takeaway from me was that Clemmons left her job with Lenny Letter because of Dunham's comments about Murray, but decided to throw this out there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hipster racism sound like regular racism, but minus the guts to own your true feelings.
Hipster racism sounds like made up click-bait to me for an audience desperate to change the subject because they don't have the guts to own the actions of the person they voted for.

BTW, I can't stand Dunham and is the most overrated "voice of her generation" I can ever remember. If she's the voice of any generation it's the biggest indictment of that  generation I can think of. Still, well..... she had a friend that used N-word back in college? I guess the bar for "news" just got lowered. Again.

go for it!  
Well, yeah "the left" is going to actually vilify it's people who did bad things, where the right has no problem electing pedos.. It's beyond stupid that racism and pedophilia are apparently left/right issues and not just basic human decency but I guess congrats to the right for not eating their own?

Hipster racism sound like regular racism, but minus the guts to own your true feelings.
Most regular racists don't own their own feelings either. What's being described here is no different than Trumpian racism which repeats "I'm not a racist" over and over again while repeatedly showing through words and actions that they very clearly are. In this case, the shield is an educated sort of self-awareness/irony (hipster) instead of stupidity (Trumpian) but it's all the same "I'm not racist, but..." BS.

Hipster racism? Is that when you're racist, but you do it ironically?
There are definitely people who do this and it's probably a good thing to call it out. In terms of Dunham herself, this article is a whole lot of "in her circle of friends" and sort of racism by proxy with not a lot of real indication that she herself has done anything racist but there are lots of other reasons to dislike her, including her defense of Murray Miller.

@Northern Voice, that's a good point -- we should start to hold people accountable to their own religious impulses. If the right doesn't do it, I'm no longer a member of the right. If Alabama elects Roy Moore even though the allegations are true, I don't support it. 

I think people that tell anybody how to live should probably not be hypocrites, which it seems like hipster racism is. If Moore's allegations turn out to be true, you can bet I won't support him -- he'll be telling me to live a certain way I can't live, and that he can't live.  

There is a problem to this, though -- a lot of our modern laws and executive enforcements come from the late teens and twenties in the twentieth century, where a confluence of racism, draconian feminism, and reformism met and decided our fates.  

There is a problem to this, though -- a lot of our modern laws and executive enforcements come from the late teens and twenties in the twentieth century, where a confluence of racism, draconian feminism, and reformism met and decided our fates.  
Yeah, the country built by slaveholders on the basis of everyone being equal :lmao: ...  That said, laws can be changed, enforcements can be amended but you need the will of the people to change them and it's too divided right now for you guys. 

Yeah, the country built by slaveholders on the basis of everyone being equal :lmao: ...  That said, laws can be changed, enforcements can be amended but you need the will of the people to change them and it's too divided right now for you guys. 
Our national embarrassment will always be slavery. That the right aligns itself with the South these days gives me major pause, always. I don't know what else to say. I'm a free market, equality-loving, son of a gun. I'm just not liberal (in the modern sense). That's how I view things. 

I think laughing at our country is an impulse that should probably be restrained. I love Canada. But that liberty, fraternity, and equality was also the catch phrase of the French Revolution, doomed as it was, cannot be an idea that should be ignored. Life, liberty, property. Liberte, fraternite, egalite.

Ideas are bulletproof and slave-proof. You can take that to the bank, bromigo.  

I do have a legitimate question - 

so this woman that claims she was raped by whoever this guy is we're talking about.  

Let's assume its all true.  

It happened in 2012 - why is she now reporting it?  Can anything really be done now?

NO rape is not ok but i's almost 6 years later.  It just becomes a big HE said/she said at this point no?  What if she is lying? :shrug:

Hipsta please.  
I've been wondering, is there a consensus on the whether the use of the word "Negro" is OK?
Like, is it wrong if I call my white wife "negro" when she beats a tough Candy Crush level?

No shtick, I'll err toward not saying it until I get the FFA's blessing.

I've been wondering, is there a consensus on the whether the use of the word "Negro" is OK?
Like, is it wrong if I call my white wife "negro" when she beats a tough Candy Crush level?

You have Crayola's blessing.  

Was at a sports bar watching the Lion game yesterday.  A group of 4-5 20 somethings were at the table next to us.  A buddy of theirs walks in and one of the young guys stands up and in louder than a talking voice says hey "My Negro" is here as he is getting up to greet the guy.  Neither were black.  Seemed so weird to hear that blurted out.

When she molested her sister was that hipster rape or just the regular kind? 
seriously. how does this woman continue to exist in the public eye.

she molested her sister, went public defending it as women flocked to defend her.

she's a disgusting person

Was at a sports bar watching the Lion game yesterday.  A group of 4-5 20 somethings were at the table next to us.  A buddy of theirs walks in and one of the young guys stands up and in louder than a talking voice says hey "My Negro" is here as he is getting up to greet the guy.  Neither were black.  Seemed so weird to hear that blurted out.
hat was backwards I am imagining.

Users who are viewing this thread