What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OU Coach Chokes Up Talking Baker Mayfield Punishment Of Not Starting (1 Viewer)

That long of a very close coaching relationship they get....close.  Don't know another word.  He watched a kid he loves get disrespected and cheap-shotted, for lack of a better phrase. He doesn't want to punish the kid but the kid made dumb decisions in the heat of the moment and needs to be disciplined.  Makes me more of a Sooner fan, not less.

And yes, he's a "kid".  There's a reason you can't rent a car until 25 years old.  These guys are still kids.  Young and dumb.  I did was dumber stuff than grabbing my cronch and swearing at people with I was in my early 20s.

He got mad because a couple cute kids did something cute. He made a rude gesture. He's being punished for it. 

Seems to me that everything is at it should be. He'll probably not play the first series, then play the rest of the game. A symbolic gesture as punishment for a symbolic gesture. 

I have no problem with it. Had the punishment been more severe, I would have a problem with it. And I'm a Buckeye fan, so I have reason to be biased against Mayfield specifically and OU in general. 

I think Lincoln is emotional over standing up for a player's character that he knows is good, but also having to punish that player because of the mistake he made. Lincoln was groomed under Ruffin McNeill, and Ruffin always said he works his players hard, and he loves his players hard. He treats his players like sons, and I think his philosophy has rubbed off on Lincoln. Lincoln was the OC at my alma mater (ECU) for five years under Ruffin. Now Ruffin works under Lincoln. Those players are lucky to be playing for two great men. Lincoln is only 34. This is his first gig as a HC, and I imagine his first time having to make this type of punishment. He will probably be able to keep his emotions more in check as he gets more seasoned, but he may always wear his heart on his sleeve.

really?  I could see choking up because a kid had a career ending injury or something of that magnitude but a suspension for being an idiot.  I just am not seeing it.

Coach is a wuss. I would have promoted Mayfield to offensive coordinator in addition to "starter for life"

Maybe I'm getting a little too old school but I really don't see the need to cry in front of cameras because your star QB grabbed his crotch trying to tell people to screw in a blow-out win...nothing innocent about that especially from a 22 year-old who has done a few other immature things...punish the kid, hope he learns from it and benefits from the lesson in the future but save the public tears for something more deserving...

My take is that this caused the line to open low because he'll sit for maybe a series so I jumped on -19.5.  big thanks to the coach for helping me feed my family.

That long of a very close coaching relationship they get....close.  Don't know another word.  He watched a kid he loves get disrespected and cheap-shotted, for lack of a better phrase. He doesn't want to punish the kid but the kid made dumb decisions in the heat of the moment and needs to be disciplined.  Makes me more of a Sooner fan, not less.

And yes, he's a "kid".  There's a reason you can't rent a car until 25 years old.  These guys are still kids.  Young and dumb.  I did was dumber stuff than grabbing my cronch and swearing at people with I was in my early 20s.
Rental car companies were just trying to protect their business. But a 21 year old can now rent a car.

Acting mature and responsible is not something that is dictated by age. We have a ton of 40, 50, and 60 year olds making stupid decisions every day. 

And an 18 year old can serve in our military. I think Baker can be held responsible for grabbing his crotch.

Two thoughts.  Those have to be fake tears fromRiley. And I don’t care if Kansas started it between this and his summer arrest would you want to invest in mayfield as your face of the franchise if you ran an nfl team?  Guy needs to grow up. 

If everyone in a football game that used the F word got suspended, you would have a tough time finding enough players, coaches and referees to play the next game.

I do think some perspective on both coach and player's part is warranted here. This is a game. In a free country. People should be crying over other stuff, though I get that notions of masculinity and other things are implicated here. 

Bottom line: I have no problem with it; it just seems like we should cry when young men are addicted, commit suicide, are tragically killed, et. al. That's when water works are appropriate; not necessarily over a suspension for a football start. But I don't know the dynamics. I know I was benched once by a coach and he took it harder than I did. I'd switched positions senior year, made a bunch of sacrifices for a lousy team, done a bunch of stuff, but missed a practice. He was more upset than I was that I had to sit a game. 

So nobody really knows the internal dynamic of what's going on, nor the external demands placed upon the coach. 

Maybe I'm getting a little too old school but I really don't see the need to cry in front of cameras because your star QB grabbed his crotch trying to tell people to screw in a blow-out win...
I don't think he felt the need to cry in front of cameras. He was trying to hold back his emotions, which was the reason for the long pause. 

Sorry if honda. Didn't see it here.

What's your take on the coach here? http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/11/20/oklahoma-head-coach-cried-when-he-announced-baker-mayfields-punishment-for-grabbing-his-junk-video/

I'm discussing with some friends and we have different opinions on it. Wondered what you guys thought.
Football is very physical, emotional game.   What is more disrespectful? A crotch grab or   Or team captains refusing to shake hands before the opening kickoff?

To me..you let both go and move on.

Coach seems like a good dude who loves his players. His emotions got the best of him when he mentioned the special relationship he has with this player - not necessarily the suspension. This is just a guy being real. I don’t see why this is even a discussion.

Rental car companies were just trying to protect their business. But a 21 year old can now rent a car.

Acting mature and responsible is not something that is dictated by age. We have a ton of 40, 50, and 60 year olds making stupid decisions every day. 

And an 18 year old can serve in our military. I think Baker can be held responsible for grabbing his crotch.
Don't disagree with any of this. But also am never surprised when a young person does a dumb thing. It isn't excused, it's just normal.

I would have gave him the game ball and told the rest of the locker room, this is the kind of energy I want to see on the field and directed at opposing teams.  This is football, not badminton.  

Sooner homer but I think it was all heart felt both sides.   Hopefully this rubs off on some recruit or family and gets them to thinking "I want to play for a coach like that!"  

Read a good line the other day about Mayfield, coming from an unnamed NFL scout:  "Baker Mayfield is what everybody wanted Johnny Manziel to be".

I think Mayfield is going to be a very good pro-QB and some team is going to get a bargain on him.  Let him mature from this and move on.

Users who are viewing this thread