What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2018: Semifinalists (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
Well, the list of 27 semifinalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2018 just came out last night.  Here it is:

Steve Atwater

Ronde Barber

Tony Boselli

Isaac Bruce

LeRoy Butler

Don Coryell

Roger Craig

Brian Dawkins

Alan Faneca

Torry Holt

Steve Hutchinson

Joe Jacoby

Edgerrin James

Jimmy W. Johnson

Ty Law

Ray Lewis

John Lynch

Kevin Mawae

Karl Mecklenburg

Randy Moss

Leslie O'Neal

Terrell Owens

Simeon Rice

Richard Seymour

Brian Urlacher

Everson Walls

Hines Ward

Now, keep in mind that Robert Brazile and Jerry Kramer are the Senior Nominees and Bobby Beathard is the Contributor Nominee.  The only two names that stand out on this list are Ray Lewis and Randy Moss.  But, who do you think will have the best chance of getting into Canton in 2018?

Ronde Barber

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ronde Barber

Barber in the 2012 NFL season.

No. 20

Position:Cornerback

Personal information

Born:April 7, 1975 (age 42)
Roanoke, Virginia

Height:5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)

Weight:184 lb (83 kg)

Career information

High school:Roanoke (VA) Cave Spring

College:Virginia

NFL Draft:1997 / Round: 3 / Pick: 66

Career history

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1997–2012)

Career highlights and awards

Super Bowl champion (XXXVII)

5× Pro Bowl (2001, 2004–2006, 2008)

3× First-team All-Pro (2001, 2004, 2005)

2× Second-team All-Pro (2002, 2006)

NFL interceptions leader (2001)

NFL 2000s All-Decade Team

Career NFL statistics

Tackles:1,231

Quarterback sacks:28.0

Pass deflections:166

Interceptions:47

Forced fumbles:15

Touchdowns:14

Player stats at NFL.com

Jamael Orondé "Rondé" Barber (born April 7, 1975) is a former American football cornerback and safety who spent his entire 16-year career playing for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the National Football League (NFL). He is the twin brother of Tiki Barber, a former running back for the New York Giants. Barber grew up in Roanoke, Virginia and played college football for the University of Virginia.

In the 1997 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers selected Ronde Barber in the third round as the 66th overall pick. Over the course of his career, Barber was selected to five Pro Bowls, accumulated three first team All-Pro selections, two second team All-Pro selections, and was selected to the National Football League 2000s All-Decade Team. Additionally, he led all NFL players in interceptions in 2001, is the Buccaneers all-time interceptions leader, and is one of the two members of the 40/20 club (40+ interceptions, 20+ quarterback sacks) alongside Charles Woodson. After the 2002 season, Barber won Super Bowl XXXVIIagainst the Oakland Raiders. He also holds the record for most consecutive starts by a defensive back. Barber was inducted into the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame in 2014.

Ronde Barber

Brian Dawkins

Alan Faneca

Torry Holt

Steve Hutchinson

Edgerrin James

Ty Law

Ray Lewis

Kevin Mawae

Randy Moss

Terrell Owens

Richard Seymour

Brian Urlacher

13 on the list (if I counted right) are on the all decade team for the 2000s.  The 9 in bold were first team.

More interesting group than usual this year, and much tougher to choose IMO.

IMO Moss, Lewis, and Kramer are locks. I think Beathard is worthy, but I don't see anything compelling about Brazile. The other 3 spots for the non-senior and non-contributor nominees are a tough call, so I used process of elimination.

I don't think these players are HOF worthy:

• Roger Craig
  • Joe Jacoby
  • Edgerrin James
  • John Lynch
  • Kevin Mawae
  • Leslie O'Neal
  • Simeon Rice
  • Richard Seymour
  • Hines Ward
IMO these players are worthy but will have to make it as senior candidates, as they just are not likely to ever be one of the top 5 non-senior candidates in a given class:

• Steve Atwater
  • LeRoy Butler
  • Karl Mecklenburg
  • Everson Walls
IMO there should be a separation of coaches and players, like there is for contributors. But, since there isn't, no way Jimmy Johnson should make it before Coryell.

IMO these players are borderline may eventually make it, but not in a class this strong:

• Steve Hutchinson
  • Ty Law
Given Moss is a lock, I'm comfortable pushing off the these HOF worthy WRs:

• Isaac Bruce
  • Torry Holt
IMO these players are worthy and are in my next group that just miss the cut:

• Tony Boselli
  • Alan Faneca
  • Terrell Owens
  • Brian Urlacher
That leaves me with this class:

• Ronde Barber
  • Don Coryell
  • Brian Dawkins
  • Ray Lewis
  • Randy Moss
  • Bobby Beathard - contributor
  • Jerry Kramer - senior nominee
:football:  

13 on the list (if I counted right) are on the all decade team for the 2000s.  The 9 in bold were first team.
All decade teams are somewhat arbitrary, since a great career could run from mid-decade to mid-decade and not be fully recognized in such teams.

It is also true that it is necessary to pick someone to be first team at each position, which could allow for a player to make first team from a weak group as much as on his own merit. (Also true of All Pro and Pro Bowl selections.) I am open to someone convincing me otherwise on Mawae, but I think he might be an example of this.

IMO Moss, Lewis, and Kramer are locks. I think Beathard is worthy, but I don't see anything compelling about Brazile. The other 3 spots for the non-senior and non-contributor nominees are a tough call, so I used process of elimination.

• Roger Craig
  • Joe Jacoby
  • Edgerrin James
  • John Lynch
  • Kevin Mawae
  • Leslie O'Neal
  • Simeon Rice
  • Richard Seymour
  • Hines Ward
IMO these players are worthy but will have to make it as senior candidates, as they just are not likely to ever be one of the top 5 non-senior candidates in a given class:

• Steve Atwater
  • LeRoy Butler
  • Karl Mecklenburg
  • Everson Walls
IMO there should be a separation of coaches and players, like there is for contributors. But, since there isn't, no way Jimmy Johnson should make it before Coryell.

IMO these players are borderline may eventually make it, but not in a class this strong:

• Steve Hutchinson
  • Ty Law

• Isaac Bruce
  • Torry Holt

• Tony Boselli
  • Alan Faneca
  • Terrell Owens
  • Brian Urlacher

• Ronde Barber
  • Don Coryell
  • Brian Dawkins
  • Ray Lewis
  • Randy Moss
Great analysis...only counter-point and it is general one and not a specific player one...as far as players go I only see Moss and Lewis as definites...due to that while this is a strong class Do you tthink since it is not top-heavy (I.e. 100% definites) it is could be the type of class a Law or Hutchinson type of player have a chance to sneak into...

i know he can be unbearable at times but Simmons is dead-on with how to do a Hall-of-Fame...it is described in-depth in his Book of Basketball...there are certain levels so you separate the truly elite with great with guys that were great but had shortended careers and other categories...great way to honor the history of the game without watering it down or saying a Reggie Miller or Tracey McGrady is the same type Hall-of-Farmer as a Jordan or Russell...

Locks - Moss, Ray

Should - Dawkins, Barber, urlacher

I'd like to see hutch and faneca make it but probably not this year. 

TO deserves it but I just don't care if he makes it.

Im bummed that Zach Thomas cant even make the semifinalist list for the HOF. Always thought he was the better player between he and Jason Taylor (who made it in his first year of eligibility last year). One of the best MLBs Ive ever seen. 

• Roger Craig
  • Joe Jacoby
  • Edgerrin James
  • John Lynch
  • Kevin Mawae
  • Leslie O'Neal
  • Simeon Rice
  • Richard Seymour
  • Hines Ward

• Steve Atwater
  • LeRoy Butler
  • Karl Mecklenburg
  • Everson Walls

• Steve Hutchinson
  • Ty Law

• Isaac Bruce
  • Torry Holt

• Tony Boselli
  • Alan Faneca
  • Terrell Owens
  • Brian Urlacher

• Ronde Barber
  • Don Coryell
  • Brian Dawkins
  • Ray Lewis
  • Randy Moss
Nice work, brother man.  :thumbup:

Great analysis...only counter-point and it is general one and not a specific player one...as far as players go I only see Moss and Lewis as definites...due to that while this is a strong class Do you tthink since it is not top-heavy (I.e. 100% definites) it is could be the type of class a Law or Hutchinson type of player have a chance to sneak into...
I actually think the class is very top heavy. Moss and Lewis are the only locks and are in the top tier, but I think the second tier of players (Barber, Dawkins, Owens, Urlacher, Boselli, Faneca) is large and very clearly better than the next group. I don't see a good case for Law over Barber or Dawkins, and I don't see a good case for Hutchinson over Boselli or Faneca... not to mention Owens and Urlacher.

And IMO Coryell is long overdue. Given they group coaches with players, I have to put him in with that second tier of players and include him in my class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ronde Barber

Brian Dawkins

Alan Faneca

Torry Holt

Steve Hutchinson

Edgerrin James

Ty Law

Ray Lewis

Kevin Mawae

Randy Moss

Terrell Owens

Richard Seymour

Brian Urlacher

Yeah I can't argue with any of these.  Except for Ray Lewis-- great football player but should be in jail.

I actually think the class is very top heavy. Moss and Lewis are the only locks and are in the top tier, but I think the second tier of players (Barber, Dawkins, Owens, Urlacher, Boselli, Faneca) is large and very clearly better than the next group. I don't see a good case for Law over Barber or Dawkins, and I don't see a good case for Hutchinson over Boselli or Faneca... not to mention Owens and Urlacher.

And IMO Coryell is long overdue. Given they group coaches with players, I have to put him in with that second tier of players and include him in my class.
I agree with the premise that it is top-heavy but more in that second-tier of stars (I absolutely do not mean that in a negative way)...guys that are very worthy but not slam dunks like a Moss or Lewis or a Manning or Brady...I guess where we would quibble is something like a Law over Barber...I think Law was better but I have zero issues with someone who thinks otherwise because Barber is legit as well and a good case for it is not difficult...there are a lot of guys in this group who are really close to each other...there are even guys like Roger Craig who is not gonna make it but he was as good as you get for a period of time...the more you look at this list the more impressive it gets...will be real interesting to see what the votes look like...

All decade teams are somewhat arbitrary, since a great career could run from mid-decade to mid-decade and not be fully recognized in such teams.

It is also true that it is necessary to pick someone to be first team at each position, which could allow for a player to make first team from a weak group as much as on his own merit. (Also true of All Pro and Pro Bowl selections.) I am open to someone convincing me otherwise on Mawae, but I think he might be an example of this.
All decade team times well with this class. 2-3 years of backend of career post decade and the 5 year waiting period. The prime years don't span decade periods. 

Moss, Owens, Lewis. Dawkins next year. They’ll put in a couple non deserving candidates to extend the weekend and the TV coverage of poor speeches. 

IMO Moss, Lewis, and Kramer are locks.
After seeing how the voters are making Terrell Owens wait, which I predicted years ago, there is no way that Moss is a lock.  Maybe the voters will give Moss more leeway than Owens, but I'd be surprised. 

As for everyone else, I think this is the year that Jimmy Johnson makes it. 

After seeing how the voters are making Terrell Owens wait, which I predicted years ago, there is no way that Moss is a lock.  Maybe the voters will give Moss more leeway than Owens, but I'd be surprised.
Disagree on Moss vs. Owens. Their numbers are very similar, although IMO Moss had 2 peak seasons (2003 and 2007) better than any season Owens had.

More importantly, while Moss was admittedly lazy and had some diva qualities, Owens was a downright disruptive teammate. Moss wasn't known as a bad locker room player; Owens was. That is enough to make the difference in first vs. later ballot.

That said, I could see the voters bundling Owens into this class with Moss, given their numbers are so similar. I would choose the class I posted earlier, but Owens would be my first out.

Nobody is mentioning Lynch but I've read like 3 articles this week that think he will be in. He was semi close in 2016 and I think was one of the final two cuts in 2017. He's a good chance to be in. 

I also think Ronde and Simeon were better players.  

Nobody is mentioning Lynch but I've read like 3 articles this week that think he will be in. He was semi close in 2016 and I think was one of the final two cuts in 2017. He's a good chance to be in. 

I also think Ronde and Simeon were better players.  
It seems inevitable that Lynch will make because of his inflated reputation. I would vote all of these safeties in before him: Reed, Polamalu, Dawkins, Butler, Harrison, and Atwater.

Butler, Harrison, and Atwater are criminally underrated in these discussions, and it feels like all of them may have to make it as senior nominees if at all.

Meanwhile, Lynch was the 4th or 5th best player on those Buc defenses in his prime, behind Brooks, Sapp, Ronde, and maybe Rice. Were those defenses really good enough to warrant 5 HOFers? I don't think so.

Disagree on Moss vs. Owens. Their numbers are very similar, although IMO Moss had 2 peak seasons (2003 and 2007) better than any season Owens had.

More importantly, while Moss was admittedly lazy and had some diva qualities, Owens was a downright disruptive teammate. Moss wasn't known as a bad locker room player; Owens was. That is enough to make the difference in first vs. later ballot.

That said, I could see the voters bundling Owens into this class with Moss, given their numbers are so similar. I would choose the class I posted earlier, but Owens would be my first out.
That could all very well be true.  The baggage they had was very different.  I still think voters will hold the "I play when I want to play" comment, as well as his rep for being a quitter, against Moss for at least one year. 

It's absurd that TO isn't in.
Owens has no one to blame but himself. 

Just read his wiki and did realize he won 4 Super Bowls total. I only knew of his 2 as head coach of the Raiders. 
Only person to win as a player, an assistant coach, and a head coach. Definitely a pioneer (though that may be as attributable to Al Davis), overall pretty impressive career, and has been up for induction many times before only to be left behind.

Not to mention continuous snubs of Cliff Branch, Todd Christensen, Lester Hayes, Terry McDaniel, Plunkett, Jack Tatum, and a few other Raider greats.

The whiny voters who didn't like his personality are to blame. This is the football Hall of Fame, not some pedestrian popularity contest about someone's poor feelings.
I agree for the most part, but character and those kinds of things do matter.  All I have heard for years now is that Jason Witten's status as a team leader and his professional and classy attitude is partially a reason why he will be a HOFer, so if being a great team guy and having class works in the favor for one guy, it goes without saying that being a terrible teammate should work against another, right? And this is not me saying Owens should not be in the Hall; I think he should be.  But it's clear that his baggage is THE main reason why he is being made to wait, and I am okay with that.  You reap what you sow. 

Ghost Rider said:
I agree for the most part, but character and those kinds of things do matter.  All I have heard for years now is that Jason Witten's status as a team leader and his professional and classy attitude is partially a reason why he will be a HOFer, so if being a great team guy and having class works in the favor for one guy, it goes without saying that being a terrible teammate should work against another, right? And this is not me saying Owens should not be in the Hall; I think he should be.  But it's clear that his baggage is THE main reason why he is being made to wait, and I am okay with that.  You reap what you sow. 
I personally am disgusted he would be made to wait. Sure he has some baggage. No drugs, women beating or anything like that. This is ust some pompous assess abusing their power because they didn't like his personality. 

I personally am disgusted he would be made to wait. Sure he has some baggage. No drugs, women beating or anything like that. This is ust some pompous assess abusing their power because they didn't like his personality. 
And he was a pompous ### as well. Good for the goose but not the gander?

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Only person to win as a player, an assistant coach, and a head coach. Definitely a pioneer (though that may be as attributable to Al Davis), overall pretty impressive career, and has been up for induction many times before only to be left behind.

Not to mention continuous snubs of Cliff Branch, Todd Christensen, Lester Hayes, Terry McDaniel, Plunkett, Jack Tatum, and a few other Raider greats.
Flores was terrible as Seahawks head coach. He inherited a mediocre team and drove it into the ground. Plunkett is not even close to being a Hall of Famer. There are good arguments for Branch and Hayes. 

I agree, the media is truly awful, even the sports media, but again, it is Owens own fault for the way he acted during his playing days and since. Going around and basically crying about it all winter earlier this year on TV everywhere likely didn't help his cause.  Is it unfair to have to suck up the media to get in? Absolutely, but it's part of the game, and the fact that Owens still hasn't figured it out shows how clueless and me first he still is.  He took attention away from all of the guys that got in last year thanks to his non-stop cryfest. I have zero sympathy for him. 

I agree, the media is truly awful, even the sports media, but again, it is Owens own fault for the way he acted during his playing days and since. Going around and basically crying about it all winter earlier this year on TV everywhere likely didn't help his cause.  Is it unfair to have to suck up the media to get in? Absolutely, but it's part of the game, and the fact that Owens still hasn't figured it out shows how clueless and me first he still is.  He took attention away from all of the guys that got in last year thanks to his non-stop cryfest. I have zero sympathy for him. 
I can see this. It's just a slippery slope when they don't allow him in. Now every writer's personal vendetta can take precedence over a player's ability. 

If Favre sent those **** picks this year I guess he wouldn't be getting in either. 

That's ridiculous. He also played excellent football. They wrote for a newspaper.
He played very well on the field, nobody can argue against that fact. But he didn't help his team "enough more" than he caused disruption. His team never won more than one playoff game, he played for more teams than playoff games won. Maybe that shouldn't be how we judge a wide receiver, or any player, but when your reputation is for being a crappy teammate, your team's success seems relevant. 

If TO were just a loudmouth I'd think he'd be in already (there certainly are enough others in) but the guy has a reputation for being toxic.  I don't fault a voter for taking that into consideration, how much weight you give it is up for debate.

Personally I'd vote him in. 

I can see this. It's just a slippery slope when they don't allow him in. Now every writer's personal vendetta can take precedence over a player's ability. 

If Favre sent those **** picks this year I guess he wouldn't be getting in either. 
IMO that's the difference here. Favre might have made mistakes, he might have even been a bit of a ####.  But he seems to have been a good teammate and leader for the Packers. 

I know you're not being serious, but favre was arguably the most valuable player, most important to his team for almost two decades. You can't say that about TO.

I know you're not being serious, but favre was arguably the most valuable player, most important to his team for almost two decades. You can't say that about TO.
As a football player I think TO was as good of a WR as Favre was a QB. Maybe better.

Users who are viewing this thread