What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HDHP and HSA (1 Viewer)

rascal

Footballguy
It's open season and I think I'll be switching from my current BCBS to an alternative provider.  One option is a HDHP with a HSA.

I have a family of 5.  Except for some asthma medication for my wife we are pretty healthy (I have three herniated discs and a bad knee) with the kids only going when sick.

Anyone else use one?  How does it work and what's the benefit?

The benefits are that you can add Pre-tax funds, invest these funds, and its portable if you leave your job.  Your deductible is going to be higher, though.

Everyone is going to have an HSA in a decade. 

I have an HDHP with HSA through my employer. It is one of two options offered to us, with the other being a PPO with FSA. The premiums are much lower with the HDHP and my company contributes $1,000 toward the $4,000 deductible. There is no contribution for the PPO plan, which has a $1,500 deductible. When I ran the numbers (factoring in the premiums plus the minimum I would need to contribute to the HSA/FSA to meet the respective deductibles), the HDHP was a no-brainer for us. I'm pretty sure the numbers still would have come out ahead for the HDHP even without the employer contribution.

The downside of an HDHP is that you pay full price for doctor visits, prescriptions, etc. until the deductible is met. However, the upside is that once your deductible has been met, you don't pay for anything (not even co-pays). We met our deductible halfway through the year. My wife has since had gallbladder surgery and a broken wrist plus various prescriptions for her and our kids, and we haven't had to pay a dime for any of that. 

One of the main benefits of having an HSA is that there is no "use or lose" aspect like there is with an FSA. Also, if you are funding the account through payroll deductions, dollars going to your HSA aren't taxed and you're not locked into the amount you selected during open enrollment with an HSA like you are with an FSA. 

The words "high deductible" can seem kind of scary, but there are definitely benefits to going that route. The important thing is to run the numbers for your various insurance options and figure in your anticipated medical expenses and see if that clears things up. Of course, one emergency can throw a wrench into all that planning, but it's the best you can do.

I have an HDHP with HSA through my employer. It is one of two options offered to us, with the other being a PPO with FSA. The premiums are much lower with the HDHP and my company contributes $1,000 toward the $4,000 deductible. There is no contribution for the PPO plan, which has a $1,500 deductible. When I ran the numbers (factoring in the premiums plus the minimum I would need to contribute to the HSA/FSA to meet the respective deductibles), the HDHP was a no-brainer for us. I'm pretty sure the numbers still would have come out ahead for the HDHP even without the employer contribution.

The downside of an HDHP is that you pay full price for doctor visits, prescriptions, etc. until the deductible is met. However, the upside is that once your deductible has been met, you don't pay for anything (not even co-pays). We met our deductible halfway through the year. My wife has since had gallbladder surgery and a broken wrist plus various prescriptions for her and our kids, and we haven't had to pay a dime for any of that. 

One of the main benefits of having an HSA is that there is no "use or lose" aspect like there is with an FSA. Also, if you are funding the account through payroll deductions, dollars going to your HSA aren't taxed and you're not locked into the amount you selected during open enrollment with an HSA like you are with an FSA. 

The words "high deductible" can seem kind of scary, but there are definitely benefits to going that route. The important thing is to run the numbers for your various insurance options and figure in your anticipated medical expenses and see if that clears things up. Of course, one emergency can throw a wrench into all that planning, but it's the best you can do.
You don't pay for anything once you meet the deductible?  How does that work with a maximum out of pocket limit?

I think he mixed the terms up.  He likely met his OOP Max. 
In some cases the OOP Max and the deductible are one and the same when talking HDHP. My health insurance deductible is $3500 but it's also the max out of pocket. 

HSA's are AWESOME! One of my favorite financial tools now.

Tax advantaged account that you can use to pay for medical expenses. You can build it up and at retirement it can be withdrawn for any reason with just taxes and unlike an IRA there is no RMD on it. Best of all worlds.

If you do it, I would max it out before you max out your 401k, IRA, etc options.

My employer also does an $800/year contribution if you contribute a minimum amount to your HSA. Free money.

Any federal government employees doing this? What plans look good?

I obviously missed that last open season, but will be looking to do this next year.

Users who are viewing this thread