What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kerryon Johnson, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah called Auburn junior RB Kerryon Johnson a "stud."

"Love his lateral quickness and burst... big time talent," Jeremiah posted. Auburn's offense frequently forces a front seven defender to make a decision on the quarterback/running back relationship, and then tackle the ball carrier in space. Johnson is amazing at making the first defender miss, so he thrives in this environment.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Instagram

MTS Notes: Biggest NFL draft risers; Scouting Lamar Jackson

Excerpts:

Kerryon Johnson: Auburn's star rusher has quickly emerged as one of the most impressive backs in the country. He has exploded down the stretch for the Tigers and a big game against Alabama on Saturday would look great on his resume. He's generating a lot of buzz in scouting circles.

PLAYER TO WATCH IN THE IRON BOWL

The Iron Bowl is clearly the game of the week in college football. Alabama and Auburn are both ranked in the top 6 in the College Football Playoff rankings and a berth in the SEC Championship Game is on the line.

As is the case every year, Alabama is loaded with NFL talent. However, Auburn has one of the best rosters in the country as well. After studying Auburn's offense this week, one player jumped off the screen: RB Kerryon Johnson.

Johnson is listed at 6-foot and 212 pounds, and as I mentioned above, he's one of this season's biggest risers. I came away very impressed with his combination of vision, lateral quickness and burst after I watched his tape. He has a running style that's reminiscent of Le'Veon Bell. He's patient and incorporates a slight skip before finding a crease and exploding through the line of scrimmage. He also shows the ability to drop his shoulder and power through contact. He's been reliable as a pass-catcher out of the backfield, including on an impressive one-handed snag against Georgia. I was pleasantly surprised at how well he held up in pass protection. He has displayed awareness to identify blitzing linebackers and he does a nice job staying square and settling down vs. power rushers.

Johnson is one of the most complete backs in the country and he could be set up for a big day against an Alabama defense that's been decimated by injuries. -- Daniel Jeremiah

Auburn junior RB Kerryon Johnson (shoulder) rushed for 104 yards and a touchdown on 30 carries in Saturday's 26-14 win over Alabama.

Johnson put in one of the grittiest, hard-nosed performances by any player we've seen this season. He was able to grind out plenty of short-to-medium gains throughout and his one-yard touchdown run in the closing minutes of the third quarter boosted Auburn to a 20-14 lead which they would not relinquish through to the end of the game. He also had a short touchdown pass out of the Wildcat. The 6-foot, 195-pounder's showing was made all the more impressive by the fact that he played through a shoulder injury sustained in that third quarter, one which had him in visible pain after it was initially suffered. He would ultimately leave the contest with time winding down in the fourth quarter due to a second injury concern. With the win, Auburn has now booked their ticket to the SEC Championship Game against Georgia next weekend. Johnson's availability for that contest will be determined over the course of the upcoming practice week.

My wife had never heard of him until I watched the Iron Bowl yesterday.  She asked if he was named after luggage.  I scored big when I married her.

Has too much happy feet in a running back from what I saw last night. 
Couldn’t disagree more. That’s called running with patience, a lot like Leveon Bell. Gets tough yards, always falling forward, excellent size and speed, good hands, can catch. Gonna be a really solid player at the next level. 

As an Auburn fan, KJ has really transformed himself in terms of running style from 2016 to 2017.  If you remember, coming into this year, Kamryn Pettway was the AU RB coming off a big year and seen as the physical component to Johnson’s more dynamic style.  Quite frankly, at best, Johnson was seen as option 1b.

But Johnson has been a much more physical runner this year and I wouldn’t be surprised if he did put on 10-15 pounds in the past year.  While his patience has been mentioned, I think that may be as much a function of the longer developing read option AU runs.  But it is an element of his game.  And Johnson’s gait reminds me more of McFadden than LeVeon.  

He’d be wise to declare this year as Malzahn really ran him into the ground this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Auburn junior RB Kerryon Johnson (shoulder) says that he's doing "everything he can" to play against Georgia in the SEC Championship game on Saturday against Georgia.

Johnson (6'0/212) picked up the shoulder injury the play before rushing for a touchdown, and while he was able to reenter -- and didn't leave the field after the hit that caused it while rushing for a touchdown on the next snap -- it was clear he wasn't close to 100 percent and ended up leaving late in the game. Pay close attention to how much he's able to practice. If he's unable to go, Kam Martin will likely serve as the starting tailback for the Tigers.

Source: Josh Vitale on Twitter 

Nov 27 - 3:31 P

Auburn junior RB Kerryon Johnson (shoulder) rushed for 44 yards on 13 carries in Saturday's 28-7 loss to Georgia in the SEC Championship Game.

Johnson did his best to fight through the shoulder injury he sustained in the Iron Bowl last weekend, but he was clearly not at 100-percent health during Saturday's contest. Not only did he finish with a season-low 44 yards, he also lost a pivotal fumble at the beginning of the fourth quarter which eventually led to a Georgia touchdown to give the Bulldogs a 21-7 lead (following a successful two-point conversion). Despite the bitter end to the pre-bowl season for the Tigers, Johnson's year as a whole has largely been a fantastic one. He's rushed for 1,320 yards and 17 touchdowns over the course of 11 games played, with eight efforts of at least 100 yards.

Dec 2 - 7:40 PM

An NFL executive told NFL.com that Auburn junior RB Kerryon Johnson "stood out" during the Iron Bowl two weeks ago.

"When I watched Auburn and Alabama, that Auburn running back stood out," he said of Johnson. "He's kind of upright as a runner but, man, was he physical against that front." NFL Media's Lance Zierlein added this: "Johnson is a tall, angular runner who is more of a banger than a slasher, but he has the short-area foot quickness to elude tacklers and create for himself." Johnson has rushed for 1,320 yards and 17 touchdowns over 11 games played heading into bowl season. He's added a 20-152-0 receiving line. Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom sees Johnson as a "souped-up Wayne Gallman", a tall, upright runner who seeks out contact and adds value as a receiver. NFLDraftScout's Dane Brugler agrees with the assessment and sees Johnson as a top-three back in the upcoming class. At the moment, most analysts are lower on Johnson than Nystrom and Brugler.

Source: NFL.com

Following Monday's Peach Bowl loss to UCF, Auburn junior RB Kerryon Johnson said that he has no timetable for making his decision as to an NFL Draft declaration.

Johnson (6'0/195) posted 71 yards and a touchdown rushing during Monday's loss. He'll discuss the NFL Draft with friends, family and coaches before he makes a decision. NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah has comped the junior to Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell, noting that the two backs share a similar patience in waiting for their blocks to line up before making their moves downfield. He could see interest as early as the second round of the draft should he declare.

Source: Christina Chambers on Twitter 

Jan 1 - 6:28 PM

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 prospects for 2018 NFL Draft

Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn

Johnson is a very productive back. He has outstanding patience, vision and stop/start quickness. He lets his blocks develop before using a very slick jump-cut and bursting through the line of scrimmage. His running style is very reminiscent of Le'Veon Bell's. He doesn't have elite top speed, but he's plenty fast enough. He does a nice job of lowering his shoulder and powering through tacklers at the second and third levels of the defense. He's very effective in the screen game. He's very aware and stays square in pass protection. Johnson was injured down the stretch this past season, but he fought through it. Overall, I love Johnson's natural running ability and I think he'll make an immediate impact for his drafting team.

As of this moment I've watched 12 RB's on my list, Kerryon being one of them, and he checks in at RB11 among that list.  He does not impress me at all.  

So I decided to watch this guy today. Went to draftbreakdown and they only have two games of his posted right now, which seems a bit odd to me as I have read from some folks that they really like this player. Why is DB asleep at the wheel?

If anyone could post some links to games to watch of Johnson in this thread, that would be helpful.

I decided that I will just watch all of the plays in these cut ups and count the number of plays, some general impressions from watching full speed, then watch the plays half speed and note the traits demonstrated on those plays.

In the first game of these clips against Missouri I noticed he is running out of the QB position a lot taking direct snaps. At full speed his plays were not very impressive to me in this game. He does a good job of tunneling low that I like and he seems to have some good burst but not much else to really talk about.

Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom referred to Auburn RB Kerryon Johnson as a "'souped-up,' rich man's version of Wayne Gallman."

"What jumped out when watching Johnson at Auburn was his Zen master-level patience. When he gets the ball, he doesn’t blindly charge ahead," Nystrom writes, adding that the 6-foot, 195-pound Johnson is "very quick" and "trusts his eyes." The analyst ranks the Auburn standout as the No. 5 running back in this draft class. He figures to be off the board by the end of Round 2 come festivities in Dallas this spring.

Source: Rotoworld

Feb 17 - 3:01 PM

So I decided to watch this guy today. Went to draftbreakdown and they only have two games of his posted right now, which seems a bit odd to me as I have read from some folks that they really like this player. Why is DB asleep at the wheel?

If anyone could post some links to games to watch of Johnson in this thread, that would be helpful.

I decided that I will just watch all of the plays in these cut ups and count the number of plays, some general impressions from watching full speed, then watch the plays half speed and note the traits demonstrated on those plays.

In the first game of these clips against Missouri I noticed he is running out of the QB position a lot taking direct snaps. At full speed his plays were not very impressive to me in this game. He does a good job of tunneling low that I like and he seems to have some good burst but not much else to really talk about.
I've found DraftBreakdown to be pretty slow when it comes to game uploads.  Just go to youtube and search "kerryon Johnson vs" and it'll show you a lot of the 2017 games right away.  That goes for any player.  There are 4 of his 2017 games on youtube right now.  Even more of his 2016 

Zyphros said:
I've found DraftBreakdown to be pretty slow when it comes to game uploads.  Just go to youtube and search "kerryon Johnson vs" and it'll show you a lot of the 2017 games right away.  That goes for any player.  There are 4 of his 2017 games on youtube right now.  Even more of his 2016 
I like draft breakdown because of having all the videos in one place.

Searching youtube I see the two games DB had. The game against Alabama vs Mississippi State vs UCF thats 4 games all I could find for cut ups. Everything else is highlights or just one play. Not sure where you are seeing games from 2016? The Texas A&M game is the only one from 2016 that I found.

I like draft breakdown because of having all the videos in one place.

Searching youtube I see the two games DB had. The game against Alabama vs Mississippi State vs UCF thats 4 games all I could find for cut ups. Everything else is highlights or just one play. Not sure where you are seeing games from 2016? The Texas A&M game is the only one from 2016 that I found.
Yeah my bad, just spoke without actually looking deeper into the page.  I just saw the initial results and assumed there were more from 2016.  Either way that youtube search will usually net you a few more games that DB doesn't have up yet.  Hard to weed out the highlight videos though.  

Yeah my bad, just spoke without actually looking deeper into the page.  I just saw the initial results and assumed there were more from 2016.  Either way that youtube search will usually net you a few more games that DB doesn't have up yet.  Hard to weed out the highlight videos though.  
Its 5 games at least. I was only able to find 5 games for Sony Michel so far also.

Auburn RB Kerryon Johnson measured 5-foot-11 4/8 inches and 213 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Johnson was given a little lift on the height front by Auburn, who listed him at an even six feet. No dice in reality, though. He weighed in one pound heavier than his listed 212 pounds. Rounding out the back's physical profile, Johnson measured with hands of 9 6/8 inches, arms of 32 4/8 inches and a wingspan of 77 5/8 inches. All three of those marks are among the best at his position. Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom is high on his pro upside, thanks in part to what he refers to as "his Zen master-level patience." We're keen to see his 40-yard dash time, as we're already sold on his toughness and vision.

Source: Charles Robinson on Twitter 

Feb 28 - 3:17 PM

hile Auburn RB Kerryon Johnson opted not to run the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine, he did register jumps of 40 inches (vertical) and 126 inches (broad).

We'll have to wait until Auburn's pro day to see Johnson run the 40-yard dash, but outside of his sitting out that run on Friday, he's impressed in his combine work. Both his vertical and broad jumps were among the best for a running back in Indianapolis. Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom -- one of Johnson's biggest backers -- has referred to him as a "rich man's version of (former Clemson RB) Wayne Gallman" and ranks him as his fifth running back in the class. Depending on Johnson's eventual 40 time, we are not ruling out the possibility that the 5-foot-11, 213-pounder could sneak into the draft fray near the end of Day 1. More realistically, he's a likely Day 2 selection.

Source: Chase Goodbread on Twitter 

Mar 2 - 6:35 PM

Biabreakable said:
In my view it is damning with faint praise. But some think more highly of Gallman than I do.
I really liked Gallman coming out, but I don't see it as a comparison.  I don't like Kerryon's game and see very little of Gallman in him.  

Vertical Jump - 2nd overall RB (40")

Broad Jump - 3rd overall RB (10'6")

3 Cone - 8th overall RB (7.07)

20 yard shuttle - 11th overall RB (4.29)

He was very solid overall in his drills.  Odd that he didn't run the 40.

Another back I like at the end of the 1st. Seems there are a ton of backs that could at the very least have a nice role on an nfl team. 

I really don't see the Bell comp at all. He looks like a 1st and 2nd down back that can pound tough yards. 

Users who are viewing this thread