What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kerryon Johnson, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

I wouldn't expect them to shut players down to tank.

They are bad enough to hang on to a top 10 pick regardless.

Really? He’s looked good to me. They traded up in the 2nd to take him. I don’t see anyway they look to replace him next year with a marquee FA or high draft pick. That is crazy imo.
Maybe not trade up but if one falls to their pick, are they comfortable passing? I don’t think they should be yet. 

Maybe not trade up but if one falls to their pick, are they comfortable passing? I don’t think they should be yet. 
I would hope they would pass. This team has way too many holes to trade up in the 2nd for a RB and then draft a big name RB the next season. It’s fine if they take a late round RB but spending a pick in rounds 1-4 would be awful imo. 

By any metric or eye test, Kerryon has looked good. I’m not a YPC guy but he’s at 5.4 and has shown nice chops as a pass catcher. I don’t think the Lions should give him the ball 350 times due to his size but that doesn’t mean we need to outright replace him. Sign a cheap FA like Yeldon or target an Ito Smith or Justin Jackson or Chris Carson type late in the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not like I’m saying he’s not good. I’m just saying it’s not a lot of tape and there are definitely better RBs out there. 
Football Outsiders DYAR - RB6

PFF Grade - RB9

Given the plethora of other needs the team has going into 2019, it would make no sense whatsoever to spend another Day 2 draft pick on RB.

It’s not like I’m saying he’s not good. I’m just saying it’s not a lot of tape and there are definitely better RBs out there. 
I just find this a weird thing to bring up.  The kid has been a stud and everything if not more than the team hoped for.

Like who?  Who are the better RBs out there?  Bell?

I trade for this guy in keeper this morning and the talk in here is of Detroit drafting another RB with a high pick?!?

BLASPHEMY!!!

I just find this a weird thing to bring up.  The kid has been a stud and everything if not more than the team hoped for.

Like who?  Who are the better RBs out there?  Bell? 
This.

Kerryon has been a game changer for Detroit and provided them with a run game for the first time in what seems like over a decade.

He's a 3 down back and looks like a stud out there.

ty247 said:
This.

Kerryon has been a game changer for Detroit and provided them with a run game for the first time in what seems like over a decade.

He's a 3 down back and looks like a stud out there.
I'm just saying I don't see them shutting him down as if he's an established veteran (like MJJ). He's not exempt from continuing to compete in a quote-unquote "lost season."

Having watched him in a few college games,  my opinion is that he is a measured asset. In other words, not someone you want to run into the ground. Shut him down till the games start counting again. Blount is a good stopgap for the rest of this year.

Having watched him in a few college games,  my opinion is that he is a measured asset. In other words, not someone you want to run into the ground. Shut him down till the games start counting again. Blount is a good stopgap for the rest of this year.
If he's that fragile, is he really a bankable star?

Yes, like most modern teams lions just got to pair him up with a good change of pace back.
Or hedge their bets on another RB if one falls to them. There is no predicting how a draft will shakeout and you need to know what you have before that day comes. If Kerryon might be too fragile to carry the load they need him to, they need to consider taking another RB. 

Or hedge their bets on another RB if one falls to them. There is no predicting how a draft will shakeout and you need to know what you have before that day comes. If Kerryon might be too fragile to carry the load they need him to, they need to consider taking another RB. 
Dude are you a troll or are you just obsessed with this subject?

• Thinking
Reactions: ATB
Name the RB on the planet you think isn't an injury risk.  I would again ask why you single out KJ - who of ll the RBs in ths draft has outperformed expectations?

You just keep repeating yourself without filling out the thought process behind drafting another Rb when they nailed their RB pick last year.  You chose to skip the request for which RBs "out there" are better.

In fact, above you appear to back off this stance when challenged... but then you post this again.  Back to where you started as if the discussion above never happened.

Name the RB on the planet you think isn't an injury risk.  I would again ask why you single out KJ - who of ll the RBs in ths draft has outperformed expectations?

You just keep repeating yourself without filling out the thought process behind drafting another Rb when they nailed their RB pick last year.  You chose to skip the request for which RBs "out there" are better.

In fact, above you appear to back off this stance when challenged... but then you post this again.  Back to where you started as if the discussion above never happened.
It’s almost as if... I’m leaving and coming back to this conversation over the course of days. 

How strange that it would be incongruous at times 🤔 

Do think he’s better than Bell or Yeldon or Howard or any other potential RB on the market this off season? Or the top college prospects for that matter?

Maybe you do but he has a serious injury history. Idk how you can overlook that.

Any info?  Sounding like this may be the Blount show again... which worked out pretty well actually...
Looking that way. Although as a fantasy owner I’m encouraged Agnew practiced today. Seems unrelated but I think it indicates when he’s ready, Kerryon will practice & play - hopefully Week 14.

It’s almost as if... I’m leaving and coming back to this conversation over the course of days. 
19 hours ago, ATB said:

11 hours ago, ATB said:

5 hours ago, ATB said:

4 hours ago, ATB said:

Huh.  Could have sworn we have had this back and forth today, all on this page.

19 hours ago, ATB said:

11 hours ago, ATB said:

5 hours ago, ATB said:

4 hours ago, ATB said:

I think its pretty clear ATB has Johnson on his Fantasy team and is trying to come up with reasons why the Lions should run him out there.. Lol   I am in a similar position in one league :)

19 hours ago, ATB said:

11 hours ago, ATB said:

5 hours ago, ATB said:

4 hours ago, ATB said:

Maybe we have had a back and forth today, but I’ve been on this topic for multiple days. You can also go #### yourself, to be quite honest, if you wanna be a complete ####### about this. 

Maybe we have had a back and forth today, but I’ve been on this topic for multiple days. You can also go #### yourself, to be quite honest, if you wanna be a complete ####### about this. 
Well.  That is one way to handle it.  

You came in dropped your posts, left, came back without addressing responses to your posts... while quoting those responses.  Relying on vague and incorrect statements to handle your argument from the start.  It is hard to communicate that way.

Hope you feel better moving forward.. just a fantasy football message board.  Always weird to watch people get upset/personal over this stuff.

How strange that it would be incongruous at times 🤔 

Do think he’s better than Bell or Yeldon or Howard or any other potential RB on the market this off season? Or the top college prospects for that matter?

Maybe you do but he has a serious injury history. Idk how you can overlook that.
I'm not sure if you've watched a single Lions game this year, but if you did and have witnessed how Johnson runs and think that a running back is something the Lions should be looking at, then you have a whole lot to learn about the game.

As for your list, he is better than Yeldon and Howard already, and Bell would be a total waste of a lot of money they could use to build around their exceptional young talent (Johnson and Galladay, specifically).

Wed, Nov 28

Kerryon Johnson (knee) remained sidelined at Wednesday's practice.

Advice: Johnson missed last week against the Bears and is said to be dealing with a multi-game issue. Expect Johnson to be out against the Rams, with LeGarrette Blount getting the first crack at carries after his 19-88-2 day in Week 12.

(Rotoworld.com)

I already have this guy on my do not draft list for next season. He is definitely a competitor and plays tough, no question. But yes he is more injury prone than other top RBs. He has a laundry list of injuries and surgeries from high school to college and barely made it through half a pro season before getting hurt and missing multiple games.

• Thanks
Reactions: -X-
Wed, Nov 28

Kerryon Johnson (knee) remained sidelined at Wednesday's practice.

Advice: Johnson missed last week against the Bears and is said to be dealing with a multi-game issue. Expect Johnson to be out against the Rams, with LeGarrette Blount getting the first crack at carries after his 19-88-2 day in Week 12.

(Rotoworld.com)
fingers crossed they are letting him rest up for week 14. Would like him to get a partial practice or something this week

fingers crossed they are letting him rest up for week 14. Would like him to get a partial practice or something this week
The later in the year it gets the easier it is to let him rest up for next year. I wouldn't want to start him the first week he's back either. Pretty risky.

The later in the year it gets the easier it is to let him rest up for next year. I wouldn't want to start him the first week he's back either. Pretty risky.
yeah that is what I was thinking they may do too. which will be crappy galore from a fantasy football perspective.

@ttwentyman

No Kerryon Johnson, Nick Bellore or Brandon Powell at the open portion of Lion practice Friday. Jamal Agnew also didn’t practice for a second straight day. Game designations out later today.

How did this thread not have a single post for December, January, February or most of March?  Solid RB2 production from this guy this year. 

No idea. 

The potential is there for big big year with Bevell installed as the OC, the line has talent, if he can get them blocking better than Cooter did, Kerryon will get a lot of touches. There won’t be any talent coming in to displace him as the top dog.  Will be interesting to see where his ADP goes as we get closer to the season starting. 

No idea. 

The potential is there for big big year with Bevell installed as the OC, the line has talent, if he can get them blocking better than Cooter did, Kerryon will get a lot of touches. There won’t be any talent coming in to displace him as the top dog.  Will be interesting to see where his ADP goes as we get closer to the season starting. 
Plus I see them drafting another OL well before another RB.

Plus I see them drafting another OL well before another RB.
If he’s somehow sitting around round 3 or 4 in re-draft I think that will be very good value. Always seems to be a handful of RBs round about there that end up busting. Alex Collins was one I stupidly took at the back of the 3rd last year. If Kerryon stays fit he will provide good returns equated to that value I think 

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news/headlines/8936936

KERRYON JOHNSON RB, DETROIT LIONS

Lions coach Matt Patricia suggested the Lions will limit Kerryon Johnson's workload.

"I think it’s a position-specific thing where those guys, they take a lot of hits," Patricia said. "They’re in those situations a lot where their bodies are taking some pounding so you want to be conscious of how many plays they’re getting, especially early on in the year." It is not a surprising comment after the Lions signed Malcolm Brown to an offer sheet earlier this month -- the Rams matched -- and it is likely they will add some more help in the backfield in the coming months. That said, no running back this side of Christian McCaffrey plays every snap, and Johnson projects as the clear lead back in Detroit. Coming off a knee injury, Johnson is expected to be a full-go for OTAs.

SOURCE: Detroit Free Press

Mar 28, 2019, 6:51 AM

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news/headlines/8936936

Lions coach Matt Patricia suggested the Lions will limit Kerryon Johnson's workload.

"I think it’s a position-specific thing where those guys, they take a lot of hits," Patricia said. "They’re in those situations a lot where their bodies are taking some pounding so you want to be conscious of how many plays they’re getting, especially early on in the year." It is not a surprising comment after the Lions signed Malcolm Brown to an offer sheet earlier this month -- the Rams matched -- and it is likely they will add some more help in the backfield in the coming months. That said, no running back this side of Christian McCaffrey plays every snap, and Johnson projects as the clear lead back in Detroit. Coming off a knee injury, Johnson is expected to be a full-go for OTAs.

Mar 28, 2019, 6:51 AM
Speaking of which.... CJ Anderson signed a 1-year deal with Detroit today. 

Speaking Tuesday, new Lions OC Darrell Bevell affirmed his commitment to the run.

What Matt Patricia made plain last season, Bevell put into words. "We’ll always be about running the football," Bevell said. "We want to be a tough, hard-nosed, physical football team. We want to be able to exert our will on our opponents." As the rest of the league settles into passing theatrics, the Lions are attempting to go against the grain with fire and brimstone. Everyone is passing because that is the most efficient, effective way to generate offense. It may not be the best approach for the Lions, but it has Kerryon Johnson's sophomore fantasy arrow screaming upward. Free agent addition C.J. Anderson, who is better than LeGarrette Blount, looms as a nuisance.

May 28, 2019, 4:24 PM ET

I'm not big on the lion offense as a whole, but the runners have to start being considered. Everything points to them committing to the run and KJ figures to be the main recipient.

The Detroit Free Press predicts Kerryon Johnson will catch at least 60 passes in 2019.

It's not as outlandish as it might sound at first blush, as Johnson entered the league with real pass-catching chops and caught 32 balls in just 10 games as a rookie. Hitting the over on 60 would likely require a de-emphasized Theo Riddick, but reporter Dave Birkett isn't even sure if Riddick will make the team. All the ingredients are in place for Johnson to take a massive sophomore leap.

Jun 13, 2019, 2:09 PM ET

The Athletic's Chris Burke believes Kerryon Johnson could catch "50-plus" passes.

Burke's prediction comes one month after the Detroit Free Press guessed he could catch 60. It could come down to third-down back Theo Riddick's status, but the long-underwhelming playmaker's 53-man roster spot appears to be in grave danger. 50 receptions would have Johnson flirting with RB1 returns in fantasy leagues.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 23, 2019, 2:46 PM ET

Of course he’s going to catch a lot of passes. He’s the most slept on RB right now. He looked fantastic last year- go look at a cut up of his touches last year, he was picking up chunks regularly and was often just one broken tackle away from a huge play. He’s one of the youngest RBs in the league, he can catch just fine. He has it all and is playing for a run first team that has one of the most stable, high capital OLs in the NFL with a solid QB under the helm. Kerryon (if he stays healthy) will be getting picked next year where Joe Mixon is this year. 

Of course he’s going to catch a lot of passes. He’s the most slept on RB right now. He looked fantastic last year- go look at a cut up of his touches last year, he was picking up chunks regularly and was often just one broken tackle away from a huge play. He’s one of the youngest RBs in the league, he can catch just fine. He has it all and is playing for a run first team that has one of the most stable, high capital OLs in the NFL with a solid QB under the helm. Kerryon (if he stays healthy) will be getting picked next year where Joe Mixon is this year. 
I'm targeting Kerryon and Kenny this year. Again. 

Users who are viewing this thread