What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone else disappointed? (1 Viewer)

sandlotshrink

Footballguy
Any other long time subscribers feel disappointed in the content being provided the last couple years?  I used to be able to come here and get informative information out of the Shark Pool.  Now, I get similar, often out dated,  info that I can get from CBS or other common sites.  I also find myself having to sort through multiple ego battles on several links just to get to something meaningful about the original topic posted.  If it's just me, that's fine but this site seems to becoming obsolete.  Please make no mistake this post has any bearing on the fact that my Buckeyes are losing to TTUN.  #Football is good, be thankful for what you have.  

Pretty sure you’re supposed to pm Shuke with these kind of complaints. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Any other long time subscribers feel disappointed in the content being provided the last couple years?  I used to be able to come here and get informative information out of the Shark Pool.  Now, I get similar, often out dated,  info that I can get from CBS or other common sites.  I also find myself having to sort through multiple ego battles on several links just to get to something meaningful about the original topic posted.  If it's just me, that's fine but this site seems to becoming obsolete.  Please make no mistake this post has any bearing on the fact that my Buckeyes are losing to TTUN.  #Football is good, be thankful for what you have.  
Just embrace DFS and you'll see the light.

I thought this was going to be about a lack of Black Friday riots.  I'm disappointed that it isn't.

What's your point? If everyone that replied to you also agreed with you, what would you do? You can always go to "CBS and other common sites for the similar often out dated info". Make no mistake, this has no bearing on Minnesota losing to Wisconsin. Cheer up and enjoy!

#thankfulforwhatIhave

AC forum - Shark Pool - FFA

Nothing's wrong with the site, you're just evolving.

Picked up some tidbits on Tatum Bell and Ontario Smith this week.  And quite frankly sir, I don't think you'll find this information on any other site.

I apologize, I'll try and post more often.

I remember the first time I read this thread 12 years ago.
There's some truth there. But there's also truth we can make the board better.

What kind of things would you guys like to see more of? What would you like to see changed?

Not to kiss ### but...

after a few years of long time members complaining about the degradation of the paid services, especially dynasty content, I have to say that I think FBG has really turned it around this year and are back to delivering timely content, and I like the weekly dynasty articles  being consistently posted, along with regular updates to dynasty rankings by key staff. 

Kudos to FBG for listening to their subscribers and delivering a top notch service and info. 

[/kiss ###]

What kind of things would you guys like to see more of? What would you like to see changed?

Pictures and a clear set of rules that make it so that NSFW stuff is avoided. Pictures add raise the fun a notch. Imagine Fred's thread and the traffic it would generate without all the redirects to imgur.

I’m heavily into devy leagues, so I’d love to see more discussion on incoming college players. 

I don’t think the information has slipped, but rather that some really good posters have moved on and the replacement level talent in some cases has been more destructive than constructive.

I think part of the problem with the shark pool anymore is the fact that threads on a particular player are packed into one long thread.  Example, if you want an injury update on Keenen Allen or thoughts on his matchup for this week, you have to go into a 48 page thread that was started 4 years ago.  I understand wanting to keep the board and the front page clean, but it sometimes makes a mess out of things if I am looking for one bit of information.   

I remember the first time I read this thread 12 years ago.
15 years ago!

I realized a long time ago that people have a thought in mind about a player..then they want to come here and have that thought reinforced by others comments or by the site.

Joe...

I find myself spending less and less time here. I personally believe you need to do the following:

-Create a way to track your own and staff's projections/rankings and how accurate they are on a weekly and YTD basis. Some staff are less accurate then others.

-Create opportunities for the shark pool posters to have the same opportunity to be able to demonstrate their abilities. Create a tool that lets us create and submit projections that get tracked, graded and ranked. Post rankings and allow all posters to view the other posters projections.

Might even be a good way to find new talent for staff. I won’t name names, but some of the staff are terrible with rankings and projections. 

There is no buzz in the SP aside from petty pissing matches and very basic posting that 95% of us already know. 

At present...I won’t be renewing my subscription, but will likely pop in still. 

Joe...

I find myself spending less and less time here. I personally believe you need to do the following:

-Create a way to track your own and staff's projections/rankings and how accurate they are on a weekly and YTD basis. Some staff are less accurate then others.

-Create opportunities for the shark pool posters to have the same opportunity to be able to demonstrate their abilities. Create a tool that lets us create and submit projections that get tracked, graded and ranked. Post rankings and allow all posters to view the other posters projections.

Might even be a good way to find new talent for staff. I won’t name names, but some of the staff are terrible with rankings and projections. 

There is no buzz in the SP aside from petty pissing matches and very basic posting that 95% of us already know. 

At present...I won’t be renewing my subscription, but will likely pop in still. 
Thanks for the feedback. 

Sounds like the ranking / scoring system is the primary thing. That's always been interesting and something we've looked at. Scoring it becomes a challenge as you have to figure out if you're rewarding or punishing aggressiveness or conservative play. I can't promise anything but we'll look there. The scoring system is the primary reason not to subscribe?

I don’t think the information has slipped, but rather that some really good posters have moved on and the replacement level talent in some cases has been more destructive than constructive.
I agree with this and the fact that everyone is watching fantasy football now, there are no sleepers anymore, there is very little insider information unless you are getting leaks from people that work directly with the team.

I agree with this and the fact that everyone is watching fantasy football now, there are no sleepers anymore, there is very little insider information unless you are getting leaks from people that work directly with the team.
Definitely some truth there. Information has become way more available. It's now more a thing of what one does with the info. But I agree with you for sure here. 

So true.   In the old days were used to have to buy magazines and the USA today to see who was hurt and actually put effort into preparing for the draft.  Now players can win their leagues just showing up on draft day and googling a couple of cheat sheets and depth charts.

Definitely some truth there. Information has become way more available. It's now more a thing of what one does with the info. But I agree with you for sure here. 
Which is why I gravitate toward guys who study film over box score analytics. Waldman is great at this.

... buy ... USA today ...
TLDR:  God, I'm old. 

My first ever league was TD only in like 1990, I was the commish, and the official scoring came from the USA today box scores :lol:   Every Sunday night I would watch the ESPN highlight show with Chris Burman and Tom Jackson (NFL Primetime?) trying to determine if I had won my game before I got the USA Today the next morning.  Each Sunday, I would account for as many of the TDs as I could in games where my players and my opponent's players had participated - it's crazy to think back on it now, but they didn't show every TD of every game.  Anyway, one Sunday I had accounted for every TD in my fantasy match-up except for one.  Minnesota scored 5 or 6 TDs and one was unaccounted for.  My fantasy game was particularly high scoring for a TD only league and I trailed something like 42 - 40 after watching that show (accounting for FG and XPs and all that).  Fortunately, I started a MIN WR in that game and if he scored that unknown TD I would obviously win my contest.  I got up early that day filled with anticipation, giddy with excitement that I had one final sliver of hope to win the game!  I couldn't wait to get to the 7-11 to get my coffee and my USA Today, I make my purchases and move quickly to my car so I could open the sports section to verify if I had won or lost. 

Sure enough, HASSAN FREAKIN' JONES had scored the unknown TD and I won my high scoring game!  :excited: :pickle: :headbang: :lmao:   I was a magical moment I'll never forget.

Now I get mad if CBS/ESPN/Fan Duel/Draft Kings/etc. doesn't update within 3 seconds of something I see on the RZ channel.

You can still get info from the board. It's all about what you do with it.

Yes, it was much easier back in the day to acquire sleepers, etc.

The hobby is evolving in all aspects. The key is to move with the times & be progressive.

TLDR:  God, I'm old. 

My first ever league was TD only in like 1990, I was the commish, and the official scoring came from the USA today box scores :lol:   Every Sunday night I would watch the ESPN highlight show with Chris Burman and Tom Jackson (NFL Primetime?) trying to determine if I had won my game before I got the USA Today the next morning.  Each Sunday, I would account for as many of the TDs as I could in games where my players and my opponent's players had participated - it's crazy to think back on it now, but they didn't show every TD of every game.  Anyway, one Sunday I had accounted for every TD in my fantasy match-up except for one.  Minnesota scored 5 or 6 TDs and one was unaccounted for.  My fantasy game was particularly high scoring for a TD only league and I trailed something like 42 - 40 after watching that show (accounting for FG and XPs and all that).  Fortunately, I started a MIN WR in that game and if he scored that unknown TD I would obviously win my contest.  I got up early that day filled with anticipation, giddy with excitement that I wasn't dead yet!  I couldn't wait to get to the 7-11 to get my coffee and my USA Today, I make my purchases and move quickly to my car so I could open the sports section to verify if I had won or lost. 

Sure enough, HASSAN FREAKIN' JONES had scored the unknown TD and I won my high scoring game!  :excited: :pickle: :headbang: :lmao:   I was a magical moment I'll never forget.

Now I get mad if CBS/ESPN/Fan Duel/Draft Kings/etc. doesn't update within 3 seconds of something I see on the RZ channel.
1989 for me.  My very first..first round pick was Icky Woods after his great rookie season.  First game had 90 yards and 2 TDs.  First quarter of his second game he blew his knee out and done for the season.

Thanks for the feedback. 

Sounds like the ranking / scoring system is the primary thing. That's always been interesting and something we've looked at. Scoring it becomes a challenge as you have to figure out if you're rewarding or punishing aggressiveness or conservative play. I can't promise anything but we'll look there. The scoring system is the primary reason not to subscribe?
Well Joe,

The great thing is that you can decide that! Perfection is noy expected (at least from me)...similar to the 35k contest, it'd not perfect, but it kept me coming back for a couple of years.  If you are indeed serious. Make a call, explain your rationale and try it out and tweak each year :shrug:  

Thanks for the feedback. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

Users who are viewing this thread