What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Visiting Pittsburgh - Local Flavor Must Do Stuff (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Ok Pittsburgh Folks. Let's hear it. 

Going to be visiting family and may have some time to get out. What are the must do things in Pittsburgh? Especially focused on local / cultural food / drink / places to see?

Strip District - shop, graze, drink beer.  I used to live there but its been over 20 years. There was a couple of great little Italian shops - cheeses, wall of baked breads, homemade deli stuff, pastries. Also a great French pastry shop. 

Definitely hit the Warhol museum.  

Be nice to have a townie friend and hit a couple of real hometown bars too.  

Take the Dusquene Incline up and have a nice dinner ...used to be Christopher's Place, now I think the place to go might be Vue 412.  

agree - go for the experience, but it's a lot of food ...don't want to get filled up at one place.  Wholey's Fish Market is pretty damn good too.  Their fish sandwiches used to be about the size of a volleyball. 
Yeah, just going down to the strip district for an afternoon probably has the best "Pittsburgh" feel to it. You've got Primanti's, Wholey's, the ethnic food grocers, and all the yinzer black and gold stands all lined up one after the other. It is Pittsburgh in a nutshell IMHO.

Breweries and distilleries are popping up everywhere if you're into that scene.

Lots of parks to cruise around - Schenley, Frick, stuff like that. Also, plenty of river walking trails that navigate in and around the city. Great views!

Pitt/CMU campus has tons to see and good happy hour spots. Also in that area: Carnegie Museum, Phipps Conservatory, Soliders & Sailors, Forbes Field remnants. 

Go check out the Bicycle Heaven (bike museum) kinda fun.

National Aviary is for the bird-ers. Good times there. 

Be patient driving around town - lots of traffic, crazies and old small roads; add lots of older folks still driving their big old cars doesn't help, too. 

Have fun!

The Summit on Mt Washington is a nice chill spot to have some drinks and small bites to eat. We had the Spinach Feta dip and Steamed Pork Dumplings. Both were pretty tasty. Full bar with a decent beer list.

Metallirgist hit a lot of the good sights.

Everyone mentions the incline...imo be sure to be up at the top at night if possible.  The lighted skyline is by far the best view.

Phipps Conservatory is a personal favorite if you are at all into such things.  

If history/international culture is your thing, check out the nationality rooms in Pitt's Cathedral of Learning.  Over a dozen decorated to a noteworthy period in the history of a variety of mostly European countries.  Get the self-guided brochure or audio tour.

Binky The Doormat said:
Strip District - shop, graze, drink beer.  I used to live there but its been over 20 years. There was a couple of great little Italian shops - cheeses, wall of baked breads, homemade deli stuff, pastries. Also a great French pastry shop. 
I second a trip to the strip.  

I’d probably give different recommendations depending where exactly you will be. Do you know the town or neighborhood where you will be staying? The last thing you want to do is sit in traffic because you’re coming from the wrong side of town. Although, no matter where your home base is, there is no way I’d recommend Tarentum. That’s a hard avoid. 

Mount Washington for sure, you get a good view of the whole city and it's pretty amazing how pretty the valley is. 

Hit up The Good Time bar in Millvale.  Even money if the Pens are off that night that at some point Mike Lange is going to show up chain smoking and drunk as hell.   Start yelling all his old catch phrases at him and enjoy the evening (Oh, and don't worry about the aroma.  That's how it always smells).

On a more serious note.... Hard to really recommend a ton not knowing what part of town you'll be in.  Pittsburgh really is a "city of neighborhoods" and each one of them has stuff worth your time.  But if you're on the West End it's going to be a real pain in the ### getting to the other side of town, or if you're going to mostly be in the North Hills the trek to the South Side it going to feel like you're traveling to the other side of the moon.  And don't even get me started on the South Hills.  Hope you enjoy tunnel traffic.

As for restaurants other than those already mentioned, Burgatory is worth checking out if you're into hipster burger stuff(they are quite good, even if you'd prefer to have your burger without a waxed mustache and fat guy hat).  There's two or three of them, but may not necessarily be handy to where you'll be. 

Tessaro's in Bloomfield is a place I usually try to hit when I get back home.  Bar/grill type place. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Now THAT would be fun. 

BTW ...in most neighborhood bars, the wings come undetached, so don't order a dozen unless you really want to eat 24 wings.
No you will just learn that 12 wings in other places are really just 6 whole wings.  And the wing tip has goodness too.

Oh come on guys. It’s a must try and novel, but heaping fries on a sandwich does not make it great. I wouldn’t rush to go back. It wouldn’t rank in my top 25
He wanted something "Pittsburgh." I'm not a native, but it is that. I also really like the sandwiches. 

If a sandwich doesn't grab you, I had a good meal at Meat and Potatoes last time I was out there. Don't know that there is anything about it that screams local, but it was good. Bone marrow, crispy pig ear, and a pappardelle that was made fresh in a pork ragout that was delicious. Great drinks and music too. 

Hit up The Good Time bar in Millvale.  Even money if the Pens are off that night that at some point Mike Lange is going to show up chain smoking and drunk as hell.   Start yelling all his old catch phrases at him and enjoy the evening (Oh, and don't worry about the aroma.  That's how it always smells).
Ool.

I'm heading there this morning for work and have dinner with a client at Butcher and the Rye, how is that place?

Any good spots to hit after dinner in that area? 

Any good gentleman's club in the area?

Joe Bryant said:
Ok Pittsburgh Folks. Let's hear it. 

Going to be visiting family and may have some time to get out. What are the must do things in Pittsburgh? Especially focused on local / cultural food / drink / places to see?
Joe - when and where will you be staying?  As others have mentioned, Pittsburgh is a city of neighborhoods.  With the rivers and hills, it can be tricky getting around.  

Primanti's is a staple of Pittsburgh-ness.  The original restaurant is in the Strip District but there are others in the region.  

Restaurants:

The Church Brew Works - This is a former Catholic church turned into a restaurant and brewery in the Lawrenceville area.  The food is very good as are the beers.  They repurposed the pews into seating and brewing kettle on the altar.  

Penn Brewery - is a brewery and restaurant founded in 1986 in the Troy Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh, on the site of the former Eberhardt and Ober Brewery (founded in 1848).

Fat Head's is a bar in the Southside of Pittsburgh that servers regular pub fare and craft beer as well as brewing their own.  Know for the Headwich.

Guy Fieri has featured a few local restaurants on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.  The Dor Stop in Dormont, Big Jim's in Greenfield area known as "The Run", Nadine'sin the Southside, Kelly O's in the Strip District. 

Other places would be would be DeLuca's and Pamela's in the Strip - these would be breakfast stops, especially if you go to the Strip on a Saturday.

Tessaro's was already mentioned, it is in Bloomfield

Someone else mentioned The Nationality Rooms in the Cathedral of Learning which you can then hit The "O" The Original Hot Dog Shoppe, ie The "O" 

You also have Station Square which, if you were going to ride the Mon Incline, you would be here. The Duquesne Incline is a little further west of Station Square.  Duquesne Incline or Mon Incline  

On the North Side, not far from Heinz Field and PNC Park is The Mexican War Streets and Randyland - this would be for culture and architecture plus The Andy Warhol Museum 

Downtown you have Market Square, which through the winter will have an outdoor ice skating rink.  Also, in one of the buildings around Market Square, there is a display of Santa Clauses from different areas of the world.

I know the Carnegie Science Center was mentioned, but at this time of year, they have the Miniature Railroad display

The Squirrel Hill area has a ton of international cuisine restaurants.  This trip advisor page has a good list of them.  https://www.tripadvisor.com/RestaurantsNear-g53449-d272388-oa30-Squirrel_Hill-Pittsburgh_Pennsylvania.html  Also, if you are into Vinyl albums, I would highly recommend stopping into Jerry's Records. Unfortunately Jerry retired this year, but sold the store to a longtime employee. 

Here is a good site for The Strip District.  Maggie's Farm Rum Distillery and Wigle Whiskey Distillery are both in the Strip District

I'm heading there this morning for work and have dinner with a client at Butcher and the Rye, how is that place?

I have not been there but have heard very good things about it.  It is located in the Cultural District of Downtown, right across from Heinz Hall.  You will probably see more upscale style bars than local watering holes.  About 2-3 blocks away on 9th and Penn is Blush for your gentleman's club pleasure.

With the popularity of Primanti's and how it has somewhat become known nationwide, I think people expect it to be wonderful food.  iI is not.  That is not why they are famous.  I mean, the food/sandwiches are good, don't get me wrong, but no one ever claimed they were this awesome sandwich and nothing beats it.  They are famous because of how and why the sandwiches began the way they did, and that it is a "Burgh Thing".  Think Pittsburgh-History.  That is why they are well known.

http://www.primantibros.com/story/

Butcher and the Rye is a good place. Went there once last year with the wife and enjoyed it. Pretty trendy and hipster-ish. Good food. Whiskey is their drink offering of choice.

Someone already mentioned its location smack dab in the middle of the cultural district.

On a more serious note.... Hard to really recommend a ton not knowing what part of town you'll be in.  Pittsburgh really is a "city of neighborhoods" and each one of them has stuff worth your time.  But if you're on the West End it's going to be a real pain in the ### getting to the other side of town, or if you're going to mostly be in the North Hills the trek to the South Side it going to feel like you're traveling to the other side of the moon.  And don't even get me started on the South Hills.  Hope you enjoy tunnel traffic.

As for restaurants other than those already mentioned, Burgatory is worth checking out if you're into hipster burger stuff(they are quite good, even if you'd prefer to have your burger without a waxed mustache and fat guy hat).  There's two or three of them, but may not necessarily be handy to where you'll be. 

Tessaro's in Bloomfield is a place I usually try to hit when I get back home.  Bar/grill type place. 
On the flip side, if you are going to come into town through a tunnel, come through the Ft Pitt tunnels from the West headed East (on highway 376). You can't see the city as you approach, but the tunnel dumps you out right on top of it. It is a pretty unique experience.

On the flip side, if you are going to come into town through a tunnel, come through the Ft Pitt tunnels from the West headed East (on highway 376). You can't see the city as you approach, but the tunnel dumps you out right on top of it. It is a pretty unique experience.
Just be prepared, you have that one bridge to make a decision on which way you want to go on the other side while also having traffic merging onto the bridge as soon as you exit the tunnel

This is very true

With the popularity of Primanti's and how it has somewhat become known nationwide, I think people expect it to be wonderful food.  iI is not.  That is not why they are famous.  I mean, the food/sandwiches are good, don't get me wrong, but no one ever claimed they were this awesome sandwich and nothing beats it.  They are famous because of how and why the sandwiches began the way they did, and that it is a "Burgh Thing".  Think Pittsburgh-History.  That is why they are well known.

http://www.primantibros.com/story/
Exactly.  Personally, I love the sandwiches too.  Double meat with the hot fries and the cold slaw (not standard mayo based slaw for anyone wondering) provides a great temperature/textural melange that I find quite pleasing.  If you're looking for "local flavor" as Joe mentioned, it's at or near the top of the list - and it's a way to have an inexpensive meal if you're dropping $$$ on dinners otherwise.  Iron City is a long way from my favorite beer, but I always get one with the sandwich because Pittsburgh.

Also, Joe - if you're not going to a game and/or won't be there when a home game is played, look into a stadium tour.  I'm sure they offer them - the Great Hall is worth the visit alone if you're a football fan in general, and they just opened the Hall of Honor last week.

Exactly.  Personally, I love the sandwiches too.  Double meat with the hot fries and the cold slaw (not standard mayo based slaw for anyone wondering) provides a great temperature/textural melange that I find quite pleasing.  If you're looking for "local flavor" as Joe mentioned, it's at or near the top of the list - and it's a way to have an inexpensive meal if you're dropping $$$ on dinners otherwise.  Iron City is a long way from my favorite beer, but I always get one with the sandwich because Pittsburgh.

Also, Joe - if you're not going to a game and/or won't be there when a home game is played, look into a stadium tour.  I'm sure they offer them - the Great Hall is worth the visit alone if you're a football fan in general, and they just opened the Hall of Honor last week.
oh god, how can you choke down an 'arhn?  

I think someone also mentioned the Heinz History Center.  They also have the Western PA Sports Museum there as well.

:lmao:

Honestly, I think Primanti is the only place I've ever ordered one.  I get one when I go to the locations in Ft. Lauderdale as well.  I just feel the need to.
It has been a long time since I last had one, but if memory serves me correctly, I could actually feel my headache starting as the liquid was still sliding down my throat.  

Just be prepared, you have that one bridge to make a decision on which way you want to go on the other side while also having traffic merging onto the bridge as soon as you exit the tunnel

This is very true
the first time I ever went to a game at Heinz we had a parking pass with my tickets.   I visited Pitt a handful of time before that - was |this close| to going to Univ of Pitt.  Anyway this was the first time I drove out there for a actual game.

My GPS went ape #### in the strip district area as I was attempting to head over to the stadium.  

Luckily I picked correctly :lmao:     I was in such a panic that I was heading the wrong way/wrong bridge etc

:lmao:

Honestly, I think Primanti is the only place I've ever ordered one.  I get one when I go to the locations in Ft. Lauderdale as well.  I just feel the need to.
I love me a cappy from Primanti's as much as any person living....but there is no way in this or any of the 9 hells that I'm willingly drinking an Iron.  Ever.  Period.   More Panther Pi$$ for you, brother.

I love me a cappy from Primanti's as much as any person living....but there is no way in this or any of the 9 hells that I'm willingly drinking an Iron.  Ever.  Period.   More Panther Pi$$ for you, brother.
I've had maybe 12 total in my lifetime.  That's roughly .0000000000000000000000000000000001% of my beer intake.  I think there's plenty to go around.  :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread