What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I think Eli Manning just retired (1 Viewer)

Should never get into the HOF based on his stats/play, but will because he played in New York.  It's a ####### travesty.

Sweet. He's not retiring, he's refusing to play the head games his incompetent coach wants to play. Good on him.

He will get into the HOF because he's 7th all time in passing yards and has 2 Rings.
And he was never, once, in all his years of playing, considered an elite QB.

Shouldn't you have to be Top 3 at your position at some point in your career to get into the hall? 

Yeah, he had stiff competition. But he was never in the conversation with Brady, Brees, or his brother. Not even close.

And he was never, once, in all his years of playing, considered an elite QB.

Shouldn't you have to be Top 3 at your position at some point in your career to get into the hall? 

Yeah, he had stiff competition. But he was never in the conversation with Brady, Brees, or his brother. Not even close.
Hell, how many times was he the best QB in his own division?

Also, the Giants become the 32nd and last team to start a black QB. Is that still a thing?
Not any more! So glad we've finally removed the final legacy of discrimination against African Americans. Good work, America! Take the rest of the century off!

Eli refusing to keep his streak alive is the most Eli thing I've ever heard.  "Nah, I think I'll just sit out instead ..."  I can just imagine his face after saying that.

I wonder if he will have to suit up Sunday or if he can finally hang out with Peyton?

Hey Eli, what are you doing Sunday?

Eli refusing to keep his streak alive is the most Eli thing I've ever heard.  "Nah, I think I'll just sit out instead ..."  I can just imagine his face after saying that.
I give him credit for not wanting to keep the streak going under false pretenses. They would have rotated Smith in after a series or two.

I think more of Eli after hearing this decision that before... its the honorable thing to do... much better than artificially keeping the streak alive by playing one snap/series/whatever.

Good on you Eli!

Wow, didn't see a Geno start coming.  Just saw Eli's remarks, which, to me, sounded classy and not bitter. Said starting the game knowing he wouldn't finish would tarnish the streak. (And I always thought he was a baby for getting daddy to get him to the giants; still feel for him now)

ETA quote: “Coach McAdoo told me I could continue to start while Geno and Davis are given an opportunity to play,” Manning said. “My feeling is that if you are going to play the other guys, play them. Starting just to keep the streak going and knowing you won’t finish the game and have a chance to win it is pointless to me, and it tarnishes the streak. Like I always have, I will be ready to play if and when I am needed. I will help Geno and Davis prepare to play as well as they possibly can.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Classic Eli. You think he'd have grown up from his days throwing a tantrum for being drafted by SD and not getting his way. Still throwing tantrums for not being the undisputed starting QB.

Go away Eli. You're an embarrassment. He shouldn't go to the HOF but unfortunately he will. It's a disgrace. 

As a Sterling Shepard owner 1 would before the playoffs start, I'd like to say..%@#$&*✓¥€£¢@#$ !!!!!!!!

Make no mistake, this is all about Davis Webb. I said several weeks ago Webb was going to start some games & I believe that'll be the case despite Geno starting this week.

Lots of people didn't think Eli would get benched, but McAdoo strongly hinted at this very thing several weeks ago.

From an organizational standpoint, it makes total sense.

This is absolutely the right move, but it had to be for Davis Webb, not Geno. Giants needed to see if Webb can play so they can decide if they need to draft a QB with their high pick this year. Playing Smith accomplishes nothing. 

Classic Eli. You think he'd have grown up from his days throwing a tantrum for being drafted by SD and not getting his way. Still throwing tantrums for not being the undisputed starting QB.

Go away Eli. You're an embarrassment. He shouldn't go to the HOF but unfortunately he will. It's a disgrace. 
Dude is so emotional about it that he's crying at his locker. Wtf are you talking about. 

Dude is so emotional about it that he's crying at his locker. Wtf are you talking about. 
Is he crying like he was on draft night? 

He could have started for his streak. If it meant that much to him. 

If it means that much to him to start in the NFL and play an entire game, well he should be better at football. Should have lost his job a long time ago TBH

Writing was on the wall weeks ago. Losing to SF was probably the final nail in the coffin and they probably only kept him in there the last two weeks for the streak so he could get past Peyton.

Interesting to see what happens. No way McAdoo survives this year, so maybe they keep Eli around for next year. He has a no trade clause and its a $12M dead money hit to outright cut him. Maybe he and his agent can engineer a trade he's willing to sign off on to a place like Jacksonville.

Writing was on the wall weeks ago. Losing to SF was probably the final nail in the coffin and they probably only kept him in there the last two weeks for the streak so he could get past Peyton.

Interesting to see what happens. No way McAdoo survives this year, so maybe they keep Eli around for next year. He has a no trade clause and its a $12M dead money hit to outright cut him. Maybe he and his agent can engineer a trade he's willing to sign off on to a place like Jacksonville.
Just what Jacksonville needs, a Jekyll/Hyde QB who throws a lot of INTs, oh wait...

Is he crying like he was on draft night? 

He could have started for his streak. If it meant that much to him. 

If it means that much to him to start in the NFL and play an entire game, well he should be better at football. Should have lost his job a long time ago TBH
He's not crying about the streak, but more about his career in NY being over. 

Some people  :loco:  

He's not crying about the streak, but more about his career in NY being over. 

Some people  :loco:  
That's his decision. I missed the part that said why I need to feel bad for him... 

Again, if he really cared that much, he could be a better QB, make better decisions, try harder. 

That's his decision. I missed the part that said why I need to feel bad for him... 

Again, if he really cared that much, he could be a better QB, make better decisions, try harder. 
I dunno, I'm guessing he's better at his life than you are at yours.

Unless you were the QB of two super bowl winning teams in the best city in the world (spoiler: you weren't). 

Should never get into the HOF based on his stats/play, but will because he played in New York.  It's a ####### travesty.
As a Patriots fan, I disagree.  He's a better post season quarterback than his brother.

As for MacaDooDoo what a disgrace.  Eli should have been shown some #$@ #%$@ respect.  I can understand taking actions which risk alienating you from the players on your roster, but typically this is done when there is some sort of upside in play.  None here afaik.  Offensive.

:confused: At people criticizing Eli for passing on a courtesy start offering for the sake of keeping a games played streak alive.  He's exactly right.  If you're starting him just for the sake of the streak, that's nonsense.  Clearly some people hate Eli.  He's not the most likeable guy and didn't handle the draft very well (though he got what he wanted I suppose).  But to rip on him for this is pretty foolish.   

Users who are viewing this thread