What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

War Criminal Commits Suicide In Court (1 Viewer)

Bummer :kicksrock:

I saw last week they finally convicted Ratko Mladic. My question, why so ####### long? I realize it took a while to catch these guys but damn, surprised any of them are still alive.

20 years for war crimes and crimes against humanity. huh.

here in America you can get 20 for calling someone on the phone too many times.

What exactly was he alleged to have done? War Crimes prosecution seems to be the preferred means of the victors to continue to go after the defeated.

What exactly was he alleged to have done? War Crimes prosecution seems to be the preferred means of the victors to continue to go after the defeated.
It does give this info in the article that was linked in OP.

It does give this info in the article that was linked in OP.
This?

Informed that soldiers were rounding up Muslims in Prozor in the summer of 1993, he had failed to make any serious efforts to stop the action, the UN war crimes tribunal found.

Praljak had also failed to act on information that murders were being planned, as well as attacks on members of international organisations and the destruction of the city's historic Old Bridge and mosques.
I'm not much of a Bosnian War buff, but these allegations sound like crap that happens in wartime, not crimes against humanity.
How is this different than what is going on in Syria?

It merely feels like a case of the victor writing history and defining "War Crimes"

This?

I'm not much of a Bosnian War buff, but these allegations sound like crap that happens in wartime, not crimes against humanity.

It merely feels like a case of the victor writing history and defining "War Crimes"
I think you should read up more on the Bosnian war.  It was pretty bad.

I think you should read up more on the Bosnian war.  It was pretty bad.
Do you have any sources you'd suggest? On a sliding scale of Syrian treatment of the Kurds-->Turkish treatment of the Armenians-->German treatment of the Jews, where would the Bosnian war slot in?

I look at a guy like Kambanda who was convicted of:

Genocide, and Agreement to commit genocide

Public and direct incitation to commit genocide

Aiding and abetting genocide

Failing in his duty to prevent the genocide which occurred while he was prime minister
And see War Crimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
This?

:mellow:  

In 2001, the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) judged that the 1995 Srebrenica massacre was genocide.[21] In the unanimous ruling "Prosecutor v. Krstić", the Appeals Chamber of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY), located in The Hague, reaffirmed that the Srebrenica massacre was genocide,[22] the Presiding Judge Theodor Meron stating:

By seeking to eliminate a part of the Bosnian Muslims, the Bosnian Serb forces committed genocide. They targeted for extinction the forty thousand Bosnian Muslims living in Srebrenica, a group which was emblematic of the Bosnian Muslims in general. They stripped all the male Muslim prisoners, military and civilian, elderly and young, of their personal belongings and identification, and deliberately and methodically killed them solely on the basis of their identity.[23]
The name of one of the charges he was found guilty of is literally ""wanton destruction of cities, towns or villages, or destruction not justified by military necessity".

The name of one of the charges he was found guilty of is literally ""wanton destruction of cities, towns or villages, or destruction not justified by military necessity".
Which seemed to stem from blowing up the Old Bridge.

Military necessity is too vague for me to even have an opinion on, therefore I would defer to the decisions made at the moment.

Edit/delete: It’s not worth arguing about I suppose.  

It’s a very important cultural touchstone and I’m glad it’s been rebuilt. 

Gawain said:
Sure, lets set Polpot free while youre at it.   :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread