What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ben owners starting on the road or not? (1 Viewer)

xenon

Footballguy
He's had two great games in a row (both @ home) but he's on the road and we all know his reputation/recent record on the road.

Is he streaking so much that it doesn't matter that he's on the road?  I guess on some level it depends on your other QB options but I remember some years ago (don't remember the specific year) he was on some fantastic roll and I for one hope that is the case this year (Derek Carr is my other QB)

Food for thought, in 27 career games vs CIN he's 20-7 and with 6 wins in the last 7 games. (pro football reference.com)

Starting or not?  If so over who.  If not, who are you starting and why?

Good Luck to all Big Ben owners.

I’ll give him a +1 for it being a night game, but a -1 for it being on the road.   Startable, but we can’t expect another great outing like the last two. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the road has not been kind to him but the matchup is worse. Cincy pass D is legit.

I will be forced to start him in a lot of places. I picked up Winston in some leagues last week on the hope he'd make it back for this week, and he did, but he made it back without two of his best OL so not sure what I'll do in those leagues.

He will be good, I'm playing against Brown in a win or go home. Brown will go 200/3 so he will be OK. 
I am playing Brown too and was leaning Big Ben either way (other option is Carr and w/out Crab AND Cooper...that's not very promising).  I believe in Big Ben and the trend being our friend

I would definitely play ben over most of the options listed here. But keep expectations in check.  He usually struggles on road and vs cinci.  I could see bell and defense winning this game

Roethlisberger on the road is one of my all-time favorite crutch arguments.

In his first 13 seasons, Big Ben had a higher passer rating @CIN than at home v. the Bengals 9 times - including the last 3, and 4 out of 5 times since 2012.

On the road, against a team he often struggles against with potentially no Brown, I'm not sure Ben is a top-15 QB for me this week. 

I'm going Taylor over him in one league, and would also start Mariota over him if I had him.

For those in the playoffs, are you going to risk starting Ben against Balt on the road in week 14? My options suck so I may be forced to roll him out.  :(

For those in the playoffs, are you going to risk starting Ben against Balt on the road in week 14? My options suck so I may be forced to roll him out.  :(

On the road, against a team he often struggles against with potentially no Brown, I'm not sure Ben is a top-15 QB for me this week. 

I'm going Taylor over him in one league, and would also start Mariota over him if I had him.
Both good points.  I'm screwed.  I was going to roll with Big Ben but w/ this Brown thing, my only other option is Carr w/out Crab and Cooper...

travdogg said:

Exactly why I came here to post to see about Ben vs. Taylor with the Brown news. Some had Taylor ranked over Ben anyways so I guess this solidifies that.

The Captain said:
Undecided. Mariota @Arizona is my other option 

Just happened to see this thread.

I am in a position where in one league I'm starting him, it doesn't matter and already locked into the playoffs.

But in my biggest money league, its win and in, and lose and I'm out.

Not that anyone here cares, but in that league I have BIG BEN + ANTONIO BROWN, and I'm facing LEVEON BELL + TYLER KROFT + AN 8.75 POINT LEAD.

My choices were Ben or Mariota, and Mariota has been awful all season. My thoughts were go down swinging with Ben. If I started Mariota (even though it was a good matchup) if he had another brutal night and cost me a shot at the playoffs, I would have been irate all next offseason.

I do have Brandon LaFell in the event AB doesn't play.

These type scenarios are interesting to me, not from the WDIS aspect, but from a "general strategy"  type angle, which can change quite a bit depending on other factors, league and scoring makeup etc. etc.

It doesn't even have to be me,  or my scenario, but more so why people make the choices they do. 

On that note, Mariota has been bad. Fits in the bust category for me.  He is kind of the worst type of bust in my opinion.  He has showed "just decent enough" in a couple games where some people got sucked into starting him in a some good matchups, and he has really only had 2-3 good games the entire season. 

If I recall correctly, the best game he had all year was against Seattle, in Seattle.   Most owners didn't start him then either, I would guess. I thought he might have been the steal of the drafts this year at QB.   (Targeted him everywhere, and got him in 3/4)  :wall:

TZM

Users who are viewing this thread