What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your Thoughts - League Agrees To Social Justice Plan (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
What do you guys think?

I posted in FFA too but wanted to get Shark Pool thoughts.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21614673/nfl-agrees-commit-nearly-100m-seven-years-charities-important-african-american-communities

The NFL and a group of players reached an agreement in principle late Wednesday night to partner on a plan to address social justice issues considered important to African-American communities, sources told ESPN.

The unprecedented agreement calls for the league to contribute $89 million over seven years to projects dealing with criminal justice reform, law enforcement/community relations and education.

During a conference call Wednesday night, Malcolm Jenkins and Anquan Boldin, who lead roughly 40 players who have negotiated with the league office about demonstrations during the national anthem, guided the group through the highlights of the package, which represents the NFL's largest contribution to a social issue, surpassing that of Salute to Service or Breast Cancer Awareness/Crucial Catch.

The partnership came a day after some players broke away from the Players Coalition because of their dissatisfaction with how Jenkins and Boldin have handled negotiations. Commissioner Roger Goodell, believing that an agreement was at hand, was furious when ESPN reported that players were breaking off, according to one source. But during an afternoon call, Jenkins asked that the commissioner and the owners continue to stand with the players and allow them to do important work in the community.

The agreement does not include language calling for players to end protests during the national anthem in exchange for funds; there's no implicit quid pro quo. But the NFL hopes this effort will effectively end the peaceful yet controversial movement that former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick started in 2016, when he refused to stand for the anthem.

Under the league's proposal, the $89 million has been earmarked over a seven-year period for both national and local projects. On the national level, owners this year will allocate $5 million, with their commitment growing annually and maxing out at $12 million per year from 2021 through 2023.

At the local level, owners would put up $250,000 annually and expect players to match that amount, totaling $500,000 for each team. Players and owners can exceed that amount if they choose, with no matching requirement. In addition, there would be other fundraising opportunities, including telethons and auctions of jerseys worn in games.

The $73 million in national funding has been vetted and approved, a league source said. However, the owners must vote on the matching-funds component on the local level and will do so at their March meetings.

For months, Goodell and Troy Vincent, the league's executive vice president of football operations, strived to find common ground with players who took a knee and raised fists in an effort to shine a light on racial injustice. The owners whom Goodell and Vincent serve could have attempted to push through new rules regarding the anthem in the NFL game-operations manual during offseason committee meetings. However, for Goodell and Vincent, trying to force players to stand for the anthem -- which would have undoubtedly triggered a fierce battle with the NFL Players Association -- wasn't a fight worth having. League sources also said Goodell, in particular, believes that fighting for social justice is the right thing to do, which factored into the decision to place no anthem attachments on the partnership.

Players came to the table in a rare position of power for them, because many fans have cited protests as the main reason they've tuned out the NFL over the past two seasons. Concerned about ongoing fan backlash and the angst of the league's corporate partners, Goodell pushed hard to establish the framework of a deal before next week's league meeting in Dallas.

Getting the ball across the goal line would put the NFL way ahead of the NBA, NHL and MLB in providing resources to address social justice issues.

The agreement calls for national funds to be allocated accordingly: 25 percent to the United Negro College Fund; 25 percent to Dream Corps; and 50 percent to the Players Coalition, which has filed 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) paperwork for nonprofit status as a fiscally sponsored project. This week, the coalition hired The Hopewell Fund to oversee and advise the group, which hopes to work with grass-roots and nonprofit organizations.

Money at both the national and local level would provide grants for nonprofit organizations focused on law enforcement and community relations, criminal justice reform and education reform. A working group of five players, five owners (or owners' representatives) and two NFL staff members would help identify future initiatives to pursue.

Last edited by a moderator:
The league throwing money at a problem, hoping it goes away. It's great that organizations are going to get the money they need to fight for social justice, but this is just because the NFL is trying to repair their image, I have 0 confidence that they're just doing this out of the goodness of their heart.

First, I don't really believe a large number of fans turned the channel because a few players did not stand for the Anthem. If they did, they are small minded, petty, and have a lack of empathy towards a large number of Americans. History shows that it's best not to cater to or cave to the demands of those types of people anyway. A lot of factors can contribute to a decline in viewership or attendance; aging/dying demographic of baby boomers and high ticket price come to mind very quickly. If there is a temp downswing in ratings, deal with it. They aren't the only sport that needs to relook incentives to attend games. 

Second, I believe the vast majority of the blame that this has become a hot button issue lies with our so-called POTUS trying to divide Americans against themselves to cover for his own failures as a person, candidate, and leader.  He is an absolutely horrible person and terrible example for all of our youth and seems to enjoy trying to destroy the brand of NFL for some reason. (maybe because of his  failure to compete with them with the USFL back in the 80s)  Allowing him to have a say in anything regarding the league should never be an option.  He has had many opportunities to bring this country together to heal and has chosen the exact opposite path. *insert swear word here* him.

Third, Good for the league that they are investing in less fortunate communities when our so-called POTUS is turning his back on and openly hostile towards them. The league is in a powerful position to affect positive change in this country and can leverage those assets to do as much good as possible if they see fit.

4th, The 1st Amendment of the Constitution protects our rights to peacefully protest.  Speaking as retired Army, I fully support players' right to kneel during the Anthem. I am not offended. It has elevated discussion on the unequal treatment of POC by law enforcement.  There are much more damaging ways to get that point across than a peaceful protest. My hope is they will stop when they see that their voices are heard and issues are being addressed appropriately.

The league throwing money at a problem, hoping it goes away. It's great that organizations are going to get the money they need to fight for social justice, but this is just because the NFL is trying to repair their image, I have 0 confidence that they're just doing this out of the goodness of their heart.
Feel the same way, but then again, what else were they going to do? This is about the best that can be expected, and maybe some good comes out of it despite what may be completely cynical motivations.

I don't see it solving anything until everyone on said issues gets together. League is trying to look progressive without actually doing too much outside of chucking money at it.

It's especially telling that they key members of the Players Union resigned because they weren't informed about the proposal, not to mention the internal issues (Colin Kaepernick not being invited to the meetings by the Head rep, then when questioned about it was like "Oh I dunno if he even wanted to go").

A couple of interesting statistics...

AA males make up 6 percent of the U.S. population, and 70% of the NFL rosters.

There are 122 owners in the four major team sports of North America. One (1) of them - Michael Jordan - is a black American.

@Rookie_Whisperer - it's not just a perception. The NFL lost one million viewers last year (about 6%) and three million viewers this year over 2013-2014 levels.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/briangoff/2017/10/23/nfl-losing-viewers-at-alarming-rate-but-faces-limits-on-its-response/#4ab5f4024212

A couple of interesting statistics...

AA males make up 6 percent of the U.S. population, and 70% of the NFL rosters.

There are 122 owners in the four major team sports of North America. One (1) of them - Michael Jordan - is a black American.

@Rookie_Whisperer - it's not just a perception. The NFL lost one million viewers last year (about 6%) and three million viewers this year over 2013-2014 levels.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/briangoff/2017/10/23/nfl-losing-viewers-at-alarming-rate-but-faces-limits-on-its-response/#4ab5f4024212
The cause-effect doesn't makes sense though; you can't correlate it directly to protests than happen before a game starts and are seen for like 10 seconds. You can attribute it to other longstanding issues like too many commercials, decline of product (*cough*NOOLINES*COUGH), long Instant Replay times, etc. Also... other sports get popular too.

The NFL has done a poor job marketing in the past couple years. Compared to the NBA which is growing here and abroad, the NFL is so focused on policing their players that they don't seem to care about the consequences. Fining and suspending people for getting caught committing crimes, or for domestic violence, alright. Throwing a hissy fit over a phone or some pot, and let it drag on for months, or years, and have it result in Stars being suspended. How can you be confused by a drop in ratings when you suspend the top QB in the NFL, or a top 3 RB. Of course the ratings fall.

Did the protests help? No. And that is mostly Trump's fault, but it's not the sole reason for the drop in ratings.
Also, Thursday night football. I like having more nights a week with football, but for many fans it's oversaturation. They can get behind 1-2 days with games, but 3 is too much.

The NFL has done a poor job marketing in the past couple years. Compared to the NBA which is growing here and abroad, the NFL is so focused on policing their players that they don't seem to care about the consequences. Fining and suspending people for getting caught committing crimes, or for domestic violence, alright. Throwing a hissy fit over a phone or some pot, and let it drag on for months, or years, and have it result in Stars being suspended. How can you be confused by a drop in ratings when you suspend the top QB in the NFL, or a top 3 RB. Of course the ratings fall.

Did the protests help? No. And that is mostly Trump's fault, but it's not the sole reason for the drop in ratings.
Also, Thursday night football. I like having more nights a week with football, but for many fans it's oversaturation. They can get behind 1-2 days with games, but 3 is too much.
NBA TV ratings were down 6% in 2016-2017 from the previous year; same with MLB in 2017.

This. Trying to buy this problem away to win viewers back. Unfortunately for Goodell he's trying to play both sides and it won't bring back all of those viewers who left. It's not just the "protests" but that may be what pushed many people over the edge; the NFL has had a flailing product for years. There's multiple factors here and the fact that the NFL thinks it's just the "protests" means they just don't get it. I really do think the "protests" were just the final straw for many people; 

The cause-effect doesn't makes sense though; you can't correlate it directly to protests than happen before a game starts and are seen for like 10 seconds. You can attribute it to other longstanding issues like too many commercials, decline of product (*cough*NOOLINES*COUGH), long Instant Replay times, etc. Also... other sports get popular too.
Where is your proof to match your argument then?

Where is your proof to match your argument then?
These are issues that viewers have railed about watching NFL games for years, some of them a decade. They are ongoing. I can link you a couple articles discussing the different factors that come into the discussion.

This. Trying to buy this problem away to win viewers back. Unfortunately for Goodell he's trying to play both sides and it won't bring back all of those viewers who left. It's not just the "protests" but that may be what pushed many people over the edge; the NFL has had a flailing product for years. There's multiple factors here and the fact that the NFL thinks it's just the "protests" means they just don't get it. I really do think the "protests" were just the final straw for many people; 
I could care less about whether it brings viewers back. I'm not losing any sleep over how much cash flow billionaire owners are throwing off while their underlying assets increase exponentially

The question is, will it do any good for the causes they're claiming to support? And the answer is, maybe! So I offer them one cheer for now. If it turns out to be pure PR that doesn't actually make a difference, I reserve the right to rescind that cheer.

These are issues that viewers have railed about watching NFL games for years, some of them a decade. They are ongoing. I can link you a couple articles discussing the different factors that come into the discussion.
I'm aware, but you are saying the protest is not why viewing declined this year & it's the other things. So I was asking for the proof. I don't care which side caused it.

I'm aware, but you are saying the protest is not why viewing declined this year & it's the other things. So I was asking for the proof. I don't care which side caused it.
I'm saying it's not the main reason, and there are tons of other issues that existed LONG before the protests that go into it. Without derailing the thread, these two articles here and here cover the situation pretty well and cover ways to better address it.

Also, which side caused what? I have no idea what you meant by that. 

I could care less about whether it brings viewers back. I'm not losing any sleep over how much cash flow billionaire owners are throwing off while their underlying assets increase exponentially

The question is, will it do any good for the causes they're claiming to support? And the answer is, maybe! So I offer them one cheer for now. If it turns out to be pure PR that doesn't actually make a difference, I reserve the right to rescind that cheer.
Don't you mean you "couldn't care less"?  You are saying that you could care less :)

Don't you mean you "couldn't care less"?  You are saying that you could care less :)
No, I meant what I said, and everyone who read it understood exactly what I was saying.

For the record, "could care less" is No. 2 on my Pedant Pet Peeve Index, ahead of the Oxford comma but a distant second to the people who spent all of 1999 reminding us that the new millennium didn't actually start until Jan. 1, 2001. Yes, you're technically right, but I could care less.

I would agree with you on this. I'm sure some people stopped watching because of the protests. If the NFL thinks this is going to fix their TV ratings issue, they're dead wrong.

The commercials certainly are annoying. It sucks standing in the stadium for several minutes while the NFL players are also waiting on the field for the commercial break to end. It's gotten out of control and there were supposed to be changes this year, but they don't seem any different.

The biggest issue in my eyes is the quality of the product. I'm a huge Buffalo Bills fan, but I'm also a fan of football. I like watching games even when the Bills aren't on and none of my fantasy guys are involved. I can probably count on one hand how many primetime matchups were of interest to me though. Those are the games that I always watched. It used to be that every franchise got a  TNF game which was a mistake because you're exposing a bad product to a national audience. They apparently did away with that but primetime matchups just aren't good. A couple of years ago I wouldn't miss a single nationally televised game. Now I find myself only watching a couple each SEASON. That's got nothing to do with protests. The commercials are annoying, but that isn't it either. It's that the good games everybody wants to see aren't the nationally broadcasted games. If the NFL wants to fix their ratings, they need to change the way they select their nationally televised games. And when injuries/unpredictable seasons happen, they need to be able to swap those games out much sooner in the year. How many people are going to be interested in watching the Packers without Rodgers? I wouldn't. 

Also, there is another area that impacts the ratings that doesn't get much discussion: cord cutting. I'm one of them. My cable and internet bill was over $180/month and finally decided to get rid of cable TV altogether this summer. Cable companies are pricing their product beyond the affordability of their consumers. The trend is not going to stop, it's going to continue. And when you have a lot of people without cable, the ratings are going to continue to drop, even if the product improves.

Sounds a lot like players taking a knee had positive and tangible results if they pried open the purse strings of billionaire NFL franchise owners. 

The pessimist in me says it sounds like the NFL is paying to make a problem go away.  And maybe from the owners perspective, that’s exactly what they’re doing. 

If this succeeds in helping just one person who is disenfranchised get some measure of justice in society, that overall it was a positive result. 

It is in someways shameful that it had to come to this .  As a society we should be seeking justice for everyone regardless - It shouldn’t take extended public protests to ensure that people of color are treated equally under the law.

First, I don't really believe a large number of fans turned the channel because a few players did not stand for the Anthem. If they did, they are small minded, petty, and have a lack of empathy towards a large number of Americans. History shows that it's best not to cater to or cave to the demands of those types of people anyway. A lot of factors can contribute to a decline in viewership or attendance; aging/dying demographic of baby boomers and high ticket price come to mind very quickly. If there is a temp downswing in ratings, deal with it. They aren't the only sport that needs to relook incentives to attend games. 

Second, I believe the vast majority of the blame that this has become a hot button issue lies with our so-called POTUS trying to divide Americans against themselves to cover for his own failures as a person, candidate, and leader.  He is an absolutely horrible person and terrible example for all of our youth and seems to enjoy trying to destroy the brand of NFL for some reason. (maybe because of his  failure to compete with them with the USFL back in the 80s)  Allowing him to have a say in anything regarding the league should never be an option.  He has had many opportunities to bring this country together to heal and has chosen the exact opposite path. *insert swear word here* him.

Third, Good for the league that they are investing in less fortunate communities when our so-called POTUS is turning his back on and openly hostile towards them. The league is in a powerful position to affect positive change in this country and can leverage those assets to do as much good as possible if they see fit.

4th, The 1st Amendment of the Constitution protects our rights to peacefully protest.  Speaking as retired Army, I fully support players' right to kneel during the Anthem. I am not offended. It has elevated discussion on the unequal treatment of POC by law enforcement.  There are much more damaging ways to get that point across than a peaceful protest. My hope is they will stop when they see that their voices are heard and issues are being addressed appropriately.

Wow.  Take a civics class and then seek some therapy.  Alternatively, stick to the political FFA and keep this kind of stuff over there.

The NFL has enough problems of its own without wading into the social justice spectrum.  IMO they need to stick to what they are - entertainment.

This puts a bandaid on a symptom. One day, when honesty prevails, maybe we as a people will start discussing the disease.  Until that time, the problem just goes on.

I definitely agree with the bolded.  Most people wouldn't even know players were kneeling if not for the multiple twitter storms.  And I believe they had the desired effect.

The NFL has enough problems of its own without wading into the social justice spectrum.  IMO they need to stick to what they are - entertainment.

This puts a bandaid on a symptom. One day, when honesty prevails, maybe we as a people will start discussing the disease.  Until that time, the problem just goes on.
The disease being cops unfairly targeting and executing people of color?  Or is there another "disease" you are referring to?  Care to explain?

Don’t speak to other posters in this manner please. You’re bringing the board to gutter levels. Thanks. 
And him telling me to seek therapy is cool with you?  How does that elevate anything?  Or maybe you should just not chime in at all. Thanks

So ignore the wound and let the nation bleed to death from 1000 cuts? 

Its a start. It achieves something. Maybe something others will build on. Maybe not. 

But better a little of something than a lot of nothing, but I respect your right to your opinion. 

I definitely agree with the bolded.  Most people wouldn't even know players were kneeling if not for the multiple twitter storms.  And I believe they had the desired effect.
To lay this at the feet of the current POTUS without reagard to the former POTUS is shortsighted. One could make this argument against Obama.

To lay this at the feet of the current POTUS without reagard to the former POTUS is shortsighted. One could make this argument against Obama.
The tweet storms ignited the issues.  Like I said, most people would have never known nor cared if players were taking a knee.  Not to mention many more players started kneeling after the first tweet storm. A small number of players had been taking a knee for a year before it blew up.

So ignore the wound and let the nation bleed to death from 1000 cuts? 

Its a start. It achieves something. Maybe something others will build on. Maybe not. 

But better a little of something than a lot of nothing, but I respect your right to your opinion. 

It does nothing but draw attention away from the real problem.  It solves nothing.

We’ve got an entire political body and other national “leaders” that sustains their power in part by constantly reinforcing that a race of people are victims, but do little to nothing about permanently changing the conditions that they live in.  They’ve done this for decades and have provided no solutions or relief.  Why would they when solving the problem would not benefit them in the least?

No meaningful discussion about the complete disintegration of the family unit, about unwed teenage pregnancies, about schools that don’t even protect kids much less educate them, about fundamental disrespect for societal norms, about the dire dangers that certain elements in their own communities pose to them.

Cops aren’t the greatest killers of young black men - other young black men are.  By far.  Cops profile young black men because the facts show that young black men commit a vastly disproportionate amount of the violent crime in this country.  It doesn’t make it right, but it makes it understandable if we expect the cops to be proactive instead of reactive in regard to violent crime.  Are there bad cops?  Sure.  And they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.  But the black urban communities as a whole should welcome a police presence - the predators in that community aren’t the cops and people need and deserve protection from the predators.  Instead the black urban communities are told the cops are the enemy, and the national media just thrives on playing out the race drama despite often knowing next to nothing about the facts of situations they love to splash so quickly all over the air.  And that’s just scratching the surface of this problem.  

And here’s another little tidbit for you - Trump didn’t cause any of this.  It was well established and deeply rooted well before he ever thought about running for President.  Blaming him for any of this is just ludicrous, but he does seem to make some people completely unhinged.  I’m no Trump fan by any means, but for Pete’s sake let’s get a little perspective on reality.

The tweet storms ignited the issues.  Like I said, most people would have never known nor cared if players were taking a knee.  Not to mention many more players started kneeling after the first tweet storm. A small number of players had been taking a knee for a year before it blew up.
Ya possibly, but I never saw a tweet from him on this until the media reported it. I know it bothered me long before I heard about his tweet. 

Ya possibly, but I never saw a tweet from him on this until the media reported it. I know it bothered me long before I heard about his tweet. 
His tweets are official statements from the WH.  The press will report on them. They couldn't have reported on them if the president didn't issue an official statement.

His tweets are official statements from the WH.  The press will report on them. They couldn't have reported on them if the president didn't issue an official statement.
Of course they are official statements. Not sure why you are posting this in regards to my post.

Of course they are official statements. Not sure why you are posting this in regards to my post.
I think he's still trying to pretend that the media never reported on any players kneeling and that this wasn't a huge controversy before Trump tweeted about it.  

Well this will be incredibly unpopular, but here goes...

It doesn't take any money at all to STOP using the term African-Americans. WE ARE ALL AMERICAN'S... PERIOD!

I am a frequent world traveler and don't ever hear that term used in other countries to describe their citizens.

One example - recent auto racing news - Lewis Hamilton again won the Formula 1 championship... Lewis is a British driver, not African-British, just British.

Flip side in 'Murica - Bubba Wallace signs on to drive for Richard Petty Motorsports... headline, "Bubba Wallace becomes first African-American driver to sign a full time NASCAR contract."

I can't imagine what the outcome would have been growing up if I referred to some of my friends as African-Americans.

It's a ####ing PC term that all sides of racism benefit from - those supporting it, and those fighting it. Get rid of it. Our country is obsessed with labeling groups of people.

It doesn't take any money at all to STOP using the term African-Americans. WE ARE ALL AMERICAN'S... PERIOD!

I am a frequent world traveler and don't ever hear that term used in other countries to describe their citizens.

One example - recent auto racing news - Lewis Hamilton again won the Formula 1 championship... Lewis is a British driver, not African-British, just British.

Flip side in 'Murica - Bubba Wallace signs on to drive for Richard Petty Motorsports... headline, "Bubba Wallace becomes first African-American driver to sign a full time NASCAR contract."

I can't imagine what the outcome would have been growing up if I referred to some of my friends as African-Americans.

It's a ####ing PC term that all sides of racism benefit from - those supporting it, and those fighting it. Get rid of it. Our country is obsessed with labeling groups of people.
It's an interesting point when you think of it. It was actually brought up once in a conversation I had with friend of mine who happens to be black. He thinks it's idiotic. 

I hadn't realized African-Americans invented the concept of hyphenated identities. You should probably head down to your local Italian-American Club and let them know. Maybe take out a float in next year's St. Patrick's Day parade to clue the Irish in, too.

While you're at it, you should probably track down some French-Canadians and Afro-Caribbeans and make sure they understand that if they want to keep using those names, they'll have to move to America, since we're the only country that allows it. 

The NFL is trying to solve a problem and they didnt resolve it at all.  How does the NFL decide to throw close to $100 million at the problem and not get any concession?  Why didnt the NFL at least say - here's the money, but from now on stand for the national anthem.  

The NFL has lost fans over this and many will never go back.  People pretend like this has a minimal impact, but just look at all the empty stadiums every week... there is a reason the camera angles never show the crowds.  If the game isnt in New England, Seattle or a few select others then the seats are empty.  The politicizatoin of the NFL is killing it and this wont help.

The NFL is trying to solve a problem and they didnt resolve it at all.  How does the NFL decide to throw close to $100 million at the problem and not get any concession?  Why didnt the NFL at least say - here's the money, but from now on stand for the national anthem.  

The NFL has lost fans over this and many will never go back.  People pretend like this has a minimal impact, but just look at all the empty stadiums every week... there is a reason the camera angles never show the crowds.  If the game isnt in New England, Seattle or a few select others then the seats are empty.  The politicizatoin of the NFL is killing it and this wont help.
Well then maybe they should go back to having the players in the locker room for the anthem, the way it was before the NFL decided to politicize it. Or even better, not playing the anthem before games.

Well then maybe they should go back to having the players in the locker room for the anthem, the way it was before the NFL decided to politicize it. Or even better, not playing the anthem before games.
Or the NFL should step up and tell the players to show some respect and stand for the national anthem.  

Users who are viewing this thread