What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Elections Thread (1 Viewer)

California allows political operatives to knock on doors, collect ballots, and turn them in for people.  That’s a recipe for elderly fraud.

Every system has its pluses and minuses.
Is your argument here that the minuses are OK because there's also some pluses?

Call me an unhinged leftist radical if you want, but personally I think we should try to get rid of as many bad election-related things as possible, and also make the good election-related things as widespread as possible. 

Is your argument here that the minuses are OK because there's also some pluses?

Call me an unhinged leftist radical if you want, but personally I think we should try to get rid of as many bad election-related things as possible, and also make the good election-related things as widespread as possible. 
No.  I’m saying everybody has a different perspective.  What I’m indifferent to or see as a plus or minus someone else might see completely differently.  We are likely going to disagree on what the best methods are.  That doesn’t mean we are pro voter suppression or pro voter fraud.

Hilts just pointed out how great California’s system is and I mentioned how they intentionally opened up a clear channel for fraud to get more votes in.  You can end up going too far.

Last edited by a moderator:
California requires ballots to be postmarked by election day. That tends to work out well enough. But I guess you guys are right - more states should handle elections like Florida. 
California allows political operatives to knock on doors, collect ballots, and turn them in for people.  That’s a recipe for elderly fraud.

Every system has its pluses and minuses.
Most states allow volunteers to pick up ballots. And yes I agree it's a recipe for fraud.

Hilts just pointed out how great California’s system is and I mentioned how they intentionally opened up a clear channel for fraud to get more votes in.
Obviously you're trying to pick on California here, but virtually every state allows ballots to be collected. The great red state of North Carolina just had an election canceled because a Republican operative collected thousands of votes which never got turned in.

ilts just pointed out how great California’s system is and I mentioned how they intentionally opened up a clear channel for fraud to get more votes in.  You can end up going too far.
I said "California requires ballots to be postmarked by election day. That tends to work out well enough. But I guess you guys are right - more states should handle elections like Florida."

The postmarked ballots by election day has little to do with the volunteer picking them up aspect. You can have one without the other. Ideally they should be postmarked by the date of the election but you still need to put them in the mailbox (though no additional postage should be required). 

Obviously you're trying to pick on California here, but virtually every state allows this. The great red state of North Carolina just had an election canceled because a Republican operative collected thousands of votes which never got turned in.
I just know about it because this was the first election where California used it.  It’s a completely non-sensical way of trying to count more ballots and those doing it (in CA it was mostly Democrats) were pretty frank about not collecting ballots from Republicans even if they were asked by the same household.

I just know about it because this was the first election where California used it.  It’s a completely non-sensical way of trying to count more ballots and those doing it (in CA it was mostly Democrats) were pretty frank about not collecting ballots from Republicans even if they were asked by the same household.
Do you have a link to any articles covering this story? That seems big. 

Obviously you're trying to pick on California here, but virtually every state allows this. The great red state of North Carolina just had an election canceled because a Republican operative collected thousands of votes which never got turned in.
Not many states allow third parties to collect ballots.  That’s very different than allowing family members to turn in ballots.

Democrats refusing to take ballots for Republicans when they're already on site taking other ballots.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfchronicle.com/politics/amp/California-s-late-votes-broke-big-for-13432727.php

“We beat Republicans on the ground, fair and square,” said Katie Merrill, a Democratic consultant deeply involved in November campaigns. “Many of the field plans included (ballot harvesting) as an option to deliver voters or their ballots” to the polls.

Those efforts involved identifying voters who might support Democratic candidates and ignoring those who wouldn’t.

In one Orange County household, for example, both the husband and wife were longtime Republicans, said Dale Neugebauer, a veteran Republican consultant. Democratic volunteers came by the house four times, each time asking to speak only with their 18-year-old daughter, a no-party-preference voter, and asking if she wanted them to pick up her signed and completed ballot.

Wait, you're upset because private citizens weren't forced to transport ballots against their will? You sound like HellToupee when he complained that the volunteer voting buses didn't drive by the Republican neighborhoods.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfchronicle.com/politics/amp/California-s-late-votes-broke-big-for-13432727.php

“We beat Republicans on the ground, fair and square,” said Katie Merrill, a Democratic consultant deeply involved in November campaigns. “Many of the field plans included (ballot harvesting) as an option to deliver voters or their ballots” to the polls.

Those efforts involved identifying voters who might support Democratic candidates and ignoring those who wouldn’t.

In one Orange County household, for example, both the husband and wife were longtime Republicans, said Dale Neugebauer, a veteran Republican consultant. Democratic volunteers came by the house four times, each time asking to speak only with their 18-year-old daughter, a no-party-preference voter, and asking if she wanted them to pick up her signed and completed ballot.
This article doesn't discuss - or even mention - Democrats refusing to pick up ballots from voters with different ideologies. Instead it has Paul Ryan whining and the person you've quoted here as grumbling because they wanted to speak to his daughter. If he had asked them to drop off his ballot and they refused it might back up your claim. But he clearly does not say that. 

Democrats refusing to take ballots for Republicans when they're already on site taking other ballots.

You are a guy who once said that you wanted to see increased voter turnout, and now you're suddenly complaining about increased voter turnout? Wow.

Democrats should be lauded for this work. They followed the law and they got more people to vote. The fact that Republicans somehow expected Democrats to do their work for them is a sign of abject failure of Republican ideology.

Not many states allow third parties to collect ballots.  That’s very different than allowing family members to turn in ballots.
34 states allow third parties to collect ballots.

Come on, man.

Wait, you're upset because private citizens weren't forced to transport ballots against their will? You sound like HellToupee when he complained that the volunteer voting buses didn't drive by the Republican neighborhoods.
Im not understanding where you are coming from.  I think having a family or household member drop off a ballot is a lot different than allowing third party political operatives to collect and drop off ballots.

This article doesn't discuss - or even mention - Democrats refusing to pick up ballots from voters with different ideologies. Instead it has Paul Ryan whining and the person you've quoted here as grumbling because they wanted to speak to his daughter. If he had asked them to drop off his ballot and they refused it might back up your claim. But he clearly does not say that. 
:shrug:

The consultant was pretty clear that they solicit Democratic voters and avoid Republican voters even if they are in the same household.  They then give an example.

There’s nothing innately fraudulent in operating like this if the law allows it.  I just think it’s ripe for elderly fraud and exploitation.  It’s not designed to increase voter turnout.  It’s designed to be partisan.  This goes for every state that allows it.

jonessed said:
:shrug:

The consultant was pretty clear that they solicit Democratic voters and avoid Republican voters even if they are in the same household.  They then give an example.

There’s nothing innately fraudulent in operating like this if the law allows it.  I just think it’s ripe for elderly fraud and exploitation.  It’s not designed to increase voter turnout.  It’s designed to be partisan.  This goes for every state that allows it.
You wrote "...It’s a completely non-sensical way of trying to count more ballots and those doing it (in CA it was mostly Democrats) were pretty frank about not collecting ballots from Republicans even if they were asked by the same household." I asked for an example. The very example you gave offers no support for your claim. He complains Democrats wanted to talk to his daughter and offered to mail in her ballot. There's zero claims by the accuser (Republicans) that they asked the Democrats but were refused. Do you have another example showing Democrats being asked by Republicans to collect their ballots at the same household but refusing? I don't see an issue with Democrats declining to go to Republican's houses to encourage them to vote for Democrats.

Heck, the voter they were trying to talk to isn't even registered as a Democrat, according to the very article you posted. Doesn't that conflict with your implied claim of Democrats only collecting votes from registered Democrats?

jonessed said:
It’s not designed to increase voter turnout.  It’s designed to be partisan.
How is it designed to be partisan if all parties are allowed equal opportunity to participate?

I mean, in what specific way does this law show bias to a specific party? Does it somehow prevent Republicans from going door-to-door and collecting ballots? If so, how?

Also, what is your evidence that the law wasn't designed to increase voter turnout? Because it's pretty obvious that the law does increase turnout. (Maybe that's by design, maybe it's not. Just trying to figure out how you were able to conclude that the lawmakers did not design the law with the intent to increase turnout.)

You wrote "...It’s a completely non-sensical way of trying to count more ballots and those doing it (in CA it was mostly Democrats) were pretty frank about not collecting ballots from Republicans even if they were asked by the same household." I asked for an example. The very example you gave offers no support for your claim. He complains Democrats wanted to talk to his daughter and offered to mail in her ballot. There's zero claims by the accuser (Republicans) that they asked the Democrats but were refused. Do you have another example showing Democrats being asked by Republicans to collect their ballots at the same household but refusing? I don't see an issue with Democrats declining to go to Republican's houses to encourage them to vote for Democrats.

Heck, the voter they were trying to talk to isn't even registered as a Democrat, according to the very article you posted. Doesn't that conflict with your implied claim of Democrats only collecting votes from registered Democrats?
The consultant came right out and said they were targeting only targeting Democratic voters.  They gave an example of a political operative coming out to a house and trying to collect ballots from some family members and not others in the same household.  It’s not illegal, it’s just a law designed to be partisan in nature.

My biggest complaint is that it’s ripe for fraud.

If you dont see it that way that’s fine by me. I don’t really care :shrug:  .  I’m not going to waste my time continuing to go around in circles with you.

It’s not illegal, it’s just a law designed to be partisan in nature.
See, I think that's where you're wrong. There's nothing partisan about it, either in design or implementation.

It may not be a good law for other reasons, but being unfair to certain political parties is not one.

The American Prospect reported a few weeks back that 35% of the ballots submitted by independents (defined as not voting for either the Dem or Repub candidates) in Maine's 2nd District failed to select a second choice. They call those "exhausted" ballots and I wonder why someone would submit one like that in an RCV system.

Election systems are still really interesting to me and FPTP seems to really suck eggs.

The American Prospect reported a few weeks back that 35% of the ballots submitted by independents (defined as not voting for either the Dem or Repub candidates) in Maine's 2nd District failed to select a second choice. They call those "exhausted" ballots and I wonder why someone would submit one like that in an RCV system.

Election systems are still really interesting to me and FPTP seems to really suck eggs.
There's something to be said for a protest vote, even in an RCV system.  If you really think that both parties are corrupt, self-dealing leeches, then why not have only a first choice, non-traditional vote and no secondary or tertiary vote?

Maybe both the r and d candidate were terrible...

There's something to be said for a protest vote, even in an RCV system.  If you really think that both parties are corrupt, self-dealing leeches, then why not have only a first choice, non-traditional vote and no secondary or tertiary vote?

Maybe both the r and d candidate were terrible...
Yeah, these points were made to me at another board, too. I didn't think that one through too well.

On another issue, I think I'm slowly converting to a demarchist.

Hobbs could still lose but I doubt it.
I love that this board got invested in the AZ SOS race like they did. And Ducey appointed McSally today, which makes nobody happy. There's a non-zero chance Hobbs getting elected stopped Ducey from appointing himself. 

:lmao:

God bless Republicans:

(CNN)Gov. Paul LePage certified the election results for Maine's 2nd Congressional District after a recount and legal battle dragged out the final result in the race for almost two months, cementing a Democratic victory.

But, LePage -- a Republican firebrand -- made one last jab at the drawn-out process when certifying the election, writing the words "stolen election" next to his signature.

:lmao:

God bless Republicans:

(CNN)Gov. Paul LePage certified the election results for Maine's 2nd Congressional District after a recount and legal battle dragged out the final result in the race for almost two months, cementing a Democratic victory.

But, LePage -- a Republican firebrand -- made one last jab at the drawn-out process when certifying the election, writing the words "stolen election" next to his signature.
that guy is special

An argument against ranked choice voting was made at another board that RCV would work against minority candidates in conservative states where the third party candidate is sometimes a right winger. I think that's probably an accurate assessment but misses the larger point of overall representation of the voters'preferences.

An argument against ranked choice voting was made at another board that RCV would work against minority candidates in conservative states where the third party candidate is sometimes a right winger. I think that's probably an accurate assessment but misses the larger point of overall representation of the voters'preferences.
To me the only drawback to RCV is experience - voters not actually using the ranking system.

It should save time and money on those elections where a run-off would otherwise be required.  A run-off is expensive for the state, the candidates, and always has a lower turnout.  RCV lets more people participate in the election process - so long as they actually complete the ranking.

Initially, I liked McSally.  She a veteran, seemed relatively moderate, etc.  Her opponents - Ward and Arpaio (both of whom I've had professional interactions with) - may have made her appear far more likable to me because I would have voted for a mossy stump before either of those two.  
The AZ GOP just elected Kelli Ward as their State party chairperson yesterday. I was at the AZ Dem reorg and the crowd burst out laughing when this was announced. They basically took all of the bad parts of their party that helped them lose 4 state-wide seats and a majority of Congressional reps and said, "Let's crank this up to 11."

It's time for a 2020 elections thread.

Both Democrats (Shalala & Murcacel-Powell) who narrowly flipped the Curbelo and retiring Ros-Lehtinen seats in the Miami area will face tough challengers.

But Shalala's challenger, former Spanish-language broadcast journalist Maria Elvira Salazar, got off to a rough start by (1) rolling out a mis-spelled version of her web-site ("elvria" instead of "elvira"), which was hijacked by a local democratic strategist who noticed the error, registered the domain and redirected it to Shalala's web-site and (2) initially registered  to run in the Muracel-Powell district instead of the Shalala district.   

Salazar: “We made a mistake. Mistakes happen and now we’re fixing it."

last African American Republican in the house, Will Hurd, retiring.  That’s surprising.

last African American Republican in the house, Will Hurd, retiring.  That’s surprising.
It is surprising and sad.  I like him.

Down to one African-American Republican in all of the House, Senate, and governorships.  Out of 277 people.

A vet, Gina Ortiz Jones, could make that district blue. She lost to Hurd by 0.5% in 2018 and is running again. She checks a lot of boxes: Philippina, LGBTQ, Iraq war, defense intelligence, trade. Hillary won the district by 3.6% in 2016.

It's time for a 2020 elections thread.

Both Democrats (Shalala & Murcacel-Powell) who narrowly flipped the Curbelo and retiring Ros-Lehtinen seats in the Miami area will face tough challengers.

But Shalala's challenger, former Spanish-language broadcast journalist Maria Elvira Salazar, got off to a rough start by (1) rolling out a mis-spelled version of her web-site ("elvria" instead of "elvira"), which was hijacked by a local democratic strategist who noticed the error, registered the domain and redirected it to Shalala's web-site and (2) initially registered  to run in the Muracel-Powell district instead of the Shalala district.   

Salazar: “We made a mistake. Mistakes happen and now we’re fixing it."
There is one if you had bothered to use the search function:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/773246-2020-elections-thread-senate-house-state-local-races/

Users who are viewing this thread