What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Elections Thread (1 Viewer)

Obama did - from Jan 2009 to Jan 2017 - looks like gold went from 855 to 1100. So my point was that even the crazy gold people made some money during the Obama term. My co-worker was arguing that his 401K bombed during the Obama years and that it was going wild in Trump years. 
Ahh - I misread. Thought you were saying gold took off when trump took office. Apologies

The GOP ****ting on minorities and women from the highest mountain for two straight years is having a real effect. And dragging the Kavenaugh appointment on and on in the face of mounting evidence will hurt even more. 

Being a graying middle-age white guy who wears New Balance shoes because my feet hurt, I feel I should buy some Donkey shirts or Klobuchar hats or something so I’m not mistaken for a Trumpite.

Seems way high imo.  I think it’s going to be close and Lord Voldemort is getting his seat. 
I agree that seems high, although the fact that Gillum has consistently run ahead of DeSantis in every poll since the primaries is a very good sign for Nelson. I really think this race could end up deciding the Senate.

Last edited by a moderator:
The GOP ****ting on minorities and women from the highest mountain for two straight years is having a real effect. And dragging the Kavenaugh appointment on and on in the face of mounting evidence will hurt even more. 
I generally shy away from thinking that politicians should be looking to take advantage of every situation to maximize political gain. All else being equal, I'd prefer they do the right thing substantively.

But given that I don't see two GOP Senators changing their minds on Kavanaugh, I'm starting to believe that the best thing Dems could do is use the hearings to highlight the GOP's completely offensive, cynical treatment of Blasey Ford, Ramirez and women in general in order to motivate suburban moms to turn out in November.

Meanwhile, in KS-02 (Topeka, Lawrence, east Kansas)

GOP candidate Watkins told voters he owned a company he built from scratch. He didn’t.

Congressional candidate Steve Watkins inflated his role as a defense contractor in the Middle East by telling voters he owned a company he built from scratch.

He didn’t.

“I got out of the military, started a small business and grew it from three people to 470 people. So I know what it’s like to have to sweat it and work to make payroll, to not take any salary so you can make ends meet,” the Kansas Republican told a Miami County GOP 2nd District Candidate Forum in March.

In June, at a Neosho County GOP meeting, Watkins repeated a similar story: “I started an engineering and security company. It was a paramilitary company that did work strictly for the U.S. government. This was in Iraq and Afghanistan. We grew to a number of countries. We grew from three people to 470 with me as the principal during that growth period.”

And on Twitter a month later, Watkins wrote that he “owned an engineering and securities company” when he was in the Middle East. “I grew that outfit from three people to 450 people. There were times when I did not take pay to make sure my employees could make ends meet.”

That company, Watkins’ campaign told The Star, was VIAP Inc. — a wholly owned subsidiary of Versar Inc., a global project management firm based in the Washington, D.C., area.

But records and interviews with company officials show that company existed years before he was hired on as a consultant, a Kansas City Star investigation has found. And Versar’s chief executive officer at the time gives credit for building VIAP to another person.

------

Watkins's opponent is Democrat Paul Davis.  I'll be making a token donation to the Davis campaign over this.  

GOP candidate Watkins told voters he owned a company he built from scratch. He didn’t.

Congressional candidate Steve Watkins inflated his role as a defense contractor in the Middle East by telling voters he owned a company he built from scratch.

He didn’t.

“I got out of the military, started a small business and grew it from three people to 470 people. So I know what it’s like to have to sweat it and work to make payroll, to not take any salary so you can make ends meet,” the Kansas Republican told a Miami County GOP 2nd District Candidate Forum in March.

In June, at a Neosho County GOP meeting, Watkins repeated a similar story: “I started an engineering and security company. It was a paramilitary company that did work strictly for the U.S. government. This was in Iraq and Afghanistan. We grew to a number of countries. We grew from three people to 470 with me as the principal during that growth period.”

And on Twitter a month later, Watkins wrote that he “owned an engineering and securities company” when he was in the Middle East. “I grew that outfit from three people to 450 people. There were times when I did not take pay to make sure my employees could make ends meet.”

That company, Watkins’ campaign told The Star, was VIAP Inc. — a wholly owned subsidiary of Versar Inc., a global project management firm based in the Washington, D.C., area.

But records and interviews with company officials show that company existed years before he was hired on as a consultant, a Kansas City Star investigation has found. And Versar’s chief executive officer at the time gives credit for building VIAP to another person.

------

Watkins's opponent is Democrat Paul Davis.  I'll be making a token donation to the Davis campaign over this.  

His response was great:

Asked by The Star about his involvement last week, Watkins acknowledged he didn’t own VIAP.

“I didn’t own it, no ... when I say I helped start and grow, it was operational,” Watkins said. “There were processes, systems that didn’t exist and I helped to start and create those processes and systems and products and services that we provided clients.”

Bryan Piligra, Watkins’ campaign spokesman, said the candidate has “never intentionally claimed” he owned VIAP.
Lol

He didn’t.

------

Ha! Yeah, I'll help out too.

I've actually worked with Versar on a number of projects. 

538 forecasts out today. Make of them what you will but Nate Silver  been fairly accurate over the last decade, including giving Donald Trump a much higher chance of winning in 2016 than other sources. Anyhow: 

Democrats’ chance of flipping the Senate: 1 in 3. 

Democrats’ chance of flipping the House: 4 in 5. 

This seems reasonable to me. Even with a blue wave, too many things have to happen for the Dems to succeed in the Senate. Still, 33% are reasonable odds. 

Brett will be one of many writing a book about how coming into contact with @realDonaldTrump turned a formerly great life to ####.

538 forecasts out today. Make of them what you will but Nate Silver  been fairly accurate over the last decade, including giving Donald Trump a much higher chance of winning in 2016 than other sources. Anyhow: 

Democrats’ chance of flipping the Senate: 1 in 3. 

Democrats’ chance of flipping the House: 4 in 5. 

This seems reasonable to me. Even with a blue wave, too many things have to happen for the Dems to succeed in the Senate. Still, 33% are reasonable odds. 
There really hasn't been much of a change over the past month in their forecasts, just a couple percent change here and there.

Threats on black Vermont lawmaker were so 'dangerous,' she dropped re-election bid. Now she has resigned.

A black Vermont lawmaker first suspended her re-election campaign before resigning altogether from her post following racist attacks against her and her family. When state Rep. Kiah Morris announced August 24 she was abandoning her bid for a third term in the Vermont House of Representatives, she cited disturbing social media messages. The Bennington Democrat intended to finish her current term, though, she said.
On Tuesday, Morris said she was done with the Legislature. Reached by CNN Friday evening, Morris did not cite the racism she and her family have experienced, saying instead a variety of factors led to her decision, including "the continued harassment, a legal battle to try to find justice and dealing with the investigation." "I needed to focus on (my family) 100% to get us on the next step in our journey," she said.
Lawton has posted screenshots of several online attacks, many of them from the same user, whose Twitter account has been suspended. In one, a user tells Morris, "We will continue to fight against your efforts to make our town/state look more like your ugly mongrel son." On Facebook, the same user accuses Morris of bringing Somalis, "some who also tested positive for active tuberculosis," into Bennington and Vermont. "This area is 96% white and 1% black, though the vast majority of issues she champions are related to Black Lives Matter, illegal immigrants, non-white refugees, etc.," says the post, which employs hashtags decrying migrants, "illegals" and refugees.
In August, Lawton also posted a photo of a swastika on a tree, and said there were five found in the neighborhood around the same time that the family was a victim of a 2016 home invasion.
Good article

This is Bernie Sanders's home.

cosjobs said:
Brett will be one of many writing a book about how coming into contact with @realDonaldTrump turned a formerly great life to ####.
As Rick Wilson’s book says, ETTD

Devin Nunes' Family Farm is Hiding a Politically Explosive Secret

So here’s the secret: The Nunes family dairy of political lore—the one where his brother and parents work—isn’t in California. It’s in Iowa. Devin; his brother, Anthony III; and his parents, Anthony Jr. and Toni Dian, sold their California farmland in 2006. Anthony Jr. and Toni Dian, who has also been the treasurer of every one of Devin’s campaigns since 2001, used their cash from the sale to buy a dairy eighteen hundred miles away in Sibley, a small town in northwest Iowa where they—as well as Anthony III, Devin’s only sibling, and his wife, Lori—have lived since 2007. Devin’s uncle Gerald still owns a dairy back in Tulare, which is presumably where The Wall Street Journal’s reporter talked to Devin, and Devin is an investor in a Napa Valley winery, Alpha Omega, but his immediate family’s farm—as well as his family—is long gone.

There’s nothing particularly strange about a congressman’s family moving. But what is strange is that the family has apparently tried to conceal the move from the public—for more than a decade. As far as I could tell, until late August, neither Nunes nor the local California press that covers him had ever publicly mentioned that his family dairy is no longer in Tulare.  ...

MN Angie Craig looks to be leading US House incumbent Republican Jason Lewis in my district.

New Poll

A new round of polling in Minnesota’s 2nd Congressional District, a battleground in the fight for control of the U.S. House of Representatives in these midterms, shows what most observers of the race already knew: Rep. Jason Lewis is facing a very strong challenge from DFL candidate Angie Craig in what has long been considered a “toss-up” race.

But this week’s poll from the New York Times and Siena College — a live survey that was still under way on Tuesday — suggests this race may no longer be a toss-up: With responses from more than 400 voters in CD2, the poll found Craig with a 14-point advantage over Lewis, 52 percent to 38 percent. Ten percent of voters were undecided.

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1046782141575643137

Control of the Senate could hinge on @CoryBooker and the NJ Democratic machine’s insistence on clearing the field for one of the most obviously corrupt politicians in the United States
They were stupid to run Menendez and deserve to be criticized for it.  But there is zero chance that control of the Senate will come down to the NJ Senate race. 

First, there's very little chance he'll lose. He's up an average of 6.8 points in the polls and 538 has his chances of reelection at 92.8%.

Second, if he does lose that would almost certainly mean that the polls overestimated the Dems more broadly, so there's basically no chance of the split being 50/49 Dems pending a NJ result.

Also describing it as if it was somehow Booker's call is dumb. I googled it and I didn't see any articles suggesting that it was Booker's call.  The most I saw was one citing him as one of many "Democratic power brokers" who discouraged a primary challenge.

Opposing corruption and cronyism is a good thing. People who do it shouldn't muddy their message with weird shots at politicians they don't like, or with doom and gloom declarations about things that aren't gonna happen.

They were stupid to run Menendez and deserve to be criticized for it.  But there is zero chance that control of the Senate will come down to the NJ Senate race. 

First, there's very little chance he'll lose. He's up an average of 6.8 points in the polls and 538 has his chances of reelection at 92.8%.

Second, if he does lose that would almost certainly mean that the polls overestimated the Dems more broadly, so there's basically no chance of the split being 50/49 Dems pending a NJ result.

Also describing it as if it was somehow Booker's call is dumb. I googled it and I didn't see any articles suggesting that it was Booker's call.  The most I saw was one citing him as one of many "Democratic power brokers" who discouraged a primary challenge.

Opposing corruption and cronyism is a good thing. People who do it shouldn't muddy their message with weird shots at politicians they don't like, or with doom and gloom declarations about things that aren't gonna happen.
Yeah, I grew up there, and NJ politics was hopelessly corrupt before Booker got there and will continue to be long after he's gone. Worst part is, you'd think there'd be some incentive for a young reformer to directly take on the power brokers. But it never works out that way. Christie pretended he was doing that, but he really was just taking on one political machine for the benefit of a rival one. Booker was that young reformer 15 years ago when he ran against Sharpe James, but he eventually made his piece with the system. He's basically Tommy Carcetti from "The Wire".

All that said, I agree that Menendez will probably win (if I still lived in NJ, I'd reluctantly vote for him). And I hope to God Dems are able to ease him out in advance of 2024.

The Kavanaugh situation is energizing Republicans. Suddenly Heitkamp is 10 points behind. Manchin is behind as well. The Florida governor’s race is tied. 

Suburban women remain upset at Republicans but fheir influence may have already been factored in as they were already motivated. What Kavanaufh has done is gotten the other side (conservatives) motivated. If this continues the blue wave is in real jeopardy. 

The Kavanaugh situation is energizing Republicans. Suddenly Heitkamp is 10 points behind. Manchin is behind as well. The Florida governor’s race is tied. 

Suburban women remain upset at Republicans but fheir influence may have already been factored in as they were already motivated. What Kavanaufh has done is gotten the other side (conservatives) motivated. If this continues the blue wave is in real jeopardy. 
Tim you generally give good info, but you have this weird blind spot where you do a chicken little routine on any and all polling. I understand why you might have those tendencies after 2016, but it's silly. Every new poll that comes out isn't a new fundamental truth.  They're all data points. Manchin isn't behind- the same poll you're relying on that had Heitkamp down ten had him winning by 8, and I haven't seen a single poll showing him behind. And the polling shows a very narrow but consistent lead for Gillum as well.

A few weeks ago the polls looked incredibly rosy in the wake of the dual Cohen/Manafort convictions (I know it feels like ages ago but it was just five weeks and the polls incorporating that were just a month ago).  As that's fade into the distance the generic approval and other GOP numbers have recovered slightly.  There will be many more bumps along the way for the next five weeks, including inevitably many bad polls for both sides. No need to run around talking about the sky falling every time a negative one for the Dems comes out.

He didn’t.

------

Obama: You didn't build that.

Tim you generally give good info, but you have this weird blind spot where you do a chicken little routine on any and all polling. I understand why you might have those tendencies after 2016, but it's silly. Every new poll that comes out isn't a new fundamental truth.  They're all data points. Manchin isn't behind- the same poll you're relying on that had Heitkamp down ten had him winning by 8, and I haven't seen a single poll showing him behind. And the polling shows a very narrow but consistent lead for Gillum as well.

A few weeks ago the polls looked incredibly rosy in the wake of the dual Cohen/Manafort convictions (I know it feels like ages ago but it was just five weeks and the polls incorporating that were just a month ago).  As that's fade into the distance the generic approval and other GOP numbers have recovered slightly.  There will be many more bumps along the way for the next five weeks, including inevitably many bad polls for both sides. No need to run around talking about the sky falling every time a negative one for the Dems comes out.
But that was the big play on all the cable news outlets this morning so it is easy for people to get convinced.

Wonder how many nonvoters would have turned out for Bernie.  Probably a lot.  
Bravo to you for following up yesterday's "actually it's about ethics in gaming journalism" with a "Bernie would've won."  You should do a whole theme week based on mid-decade internet memes. Work in some Left Shark, some crying Jordan, maybe a bit of Harambe ...

Bravo to you for following up yesterday's "actually it's about ethics in gaming journalism" with a "Bernie would've won."  You should do a whole theme week based on mid-decade internet memes. Work in some Left Shark, some crying Jordan, maybe a bit of Harambe ...
People aren’t going to turn out to vote for garbage.  That’s the problem with nonvoter shaming.  If people would stop apologizing for a rigged system that nominates literal trash heaps that lose to Trump, because it’s supposedly less bad than Trump, perhaps they could.  

People aren’t going to turn out to vote for garbage.  That’s the problem with nonvoter shaming.  If people would stop apologizing for a rigged system that nominates literal trash heaps that lose to Trump, because it’s supposedly less bad than Trump, perhaps they could.  
Say what you will about Hillary, but she's definitely better at absorbing harmless jokes than you are.

Booker testified on Menendez's behalf at his corruption trial.  Here’s Menendez tearfully thanking Booker for backing him since Day One.  

You're probably correct that he will win anyway.  Being staggeringly corrupt didn't stop Cuomo from being backed by top party brass and winning re-election in a landslide $25M advantage, and it certainly won't stop Menendez either.  

Quinnipiac: A Lift From Women Gives Menendez 11-Point Lead in New Jersey, Poll Finds; Voters Oppose #BrettKavanaugh Confirmation by Wide Margin

link

This is no more or less meaningful than the poll showing him with a two-point lead or recent suggestions that the Kavanaugh debate would harm Dems in the midterm. It's just another data point.  Just showing that you can create whatever narrative you want if you only look at some of the data.

But they would have been outnumbered by those who were never vote for avowed Socialist.
I dunno squistion man.  Looking at the Amazon wage hikes and Dems embracing 'Medicare For All,' and, well, Trump, it's pretty clear which way the wind was blowing in 2016.  

Quinnipiac: A Lift From Women Gives Menendez 11-Point Lead in New Jersey, Poll Finds; Voters Oppose #BrettKavanaugh Confirmation by Wide Margin

link

This is no more or less meaningful than the poll showing him with a two-point lead or recent suggestions that the Kavanaugh debate would harm Dems in the midterm. It's just another data point.  Just showing that you can create whatever narrative you want if you only look at some of the data.
And here's a poll showing Manchin leading by 12.

I guess the second lesson here, in addition to "use aggregate data instead of cherry-picking," is "stop watching cable news."

He didn’t.

------

Bruce I'm in KS district 4 south of Wichita. I want to make a donation that makes a difference but wonder how best to spend it as a lonely democrat in KS. I'm not confident at all in Thompson beating Estes. Any thoughts? KS governor race? DNC? Beto? Gillam in Florida? Sharice Davids in KS 3? 

Bruce I'm in KS district 4 south of Wichita. I want to make a donation that makes a difference but wonder how best to spend it as a lonely democrat in KS. I'm not confident at all in Thompson beating Estes. Any thoughts? KS governor race? DNC? Beto? Gillam in Florida? Sharice Davids in KS 3? 
KS Governor Race.  Laura Kelly has all the endorsements from across the spectrum but the campaign doesn’t have deep pockets.  And it’s money betting against Kris Kobach.  That race is gonna be real close and you won’t regret contributing to her and against Kobach.

Love your spirit for Sharice Davids.  She’s a magnet attracting volunteers and donations, Wyandotte and Miami County people picking up phones and knocking on doors, Johnson County people writing checks to pay for ads and support systems.  Keep spreading the good word about Sharice Davids, encourage your friends in KS-03 to vote, but the Kelly campaign needs your money more than the Davids campaign does.

ETA: to acknowledge how highly I think of your character for asking a question like this.  

I've given sizable donations ( for a school teacher anyway) to both Davis and Kelly. 

KS Governor Race.  Laura Kelly has all the endorsements from across the spectrum but the campaign doesn’t have deep pockets.  And it’s money betting against Kris Kobach.  That race is gonna be real close and you won’t regret contributing to her and against Kobach.

Love your spirit for Sharice Davids.  She’s a magnet attracting volunteers and donations, Wyandotte and Miami County people picking up phones and knocking on doors, Johnson County people writing checks to pay for ads and support systems.  Keep spreading the good word about Sharice Davids, encourage your friends in KS-03 to vote, but the Kelly campaign needs your money more than the Davids campaign does.

ETA: to acknowledge how highly I think of your character for asking a question like this.  
:thumbup:   OK gonna peel of a check. Kobach would make Brownback look like a piker. 

Claire McCaskill leads in Missouri after coming out against Kavanaugh

Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., has a slight lead over her Republican challenger Josh Hawley for the first time since May, according to a CNN poll published this week.

The poll shows McCaskill leading Hawley, the state's attorney general, by three points among likely voters, 47 percent to 44 percent. Though that lead is within the poll's 4.3 percent margin of error, it is the first good news the two-term senator has seen in months. No poll has showed McCaskill ahead since early May.

:lmao:

Wish I had posted this.

Booker testified on Menendez's behalf at his corruption trial.  Here’s Menendez tearfully thanking Booker for backing him since Day One.  

You're probably correct that he will win anyway.  Being staggeringly corrupt didn't stop Cuomo from being backed by top party brass and winning re-election in a landslide $25M advantage, and it certainly won't stop Menendez either.  
Lindsey Graham also testified on Menendez' behalf at the same trial.   Shouldn't Graham be getting vilified by this same source?  

Lindsey Graham also testified on Menendez' behalf at the same trial.   Shouldn't Graham be getting vilified by this same source?  
This sort of stuff is the reason they lost to Trump.  Running the country into the ground, flipping the bird at the working class and pretending it didn't pave the road straight to Trump.  If they're corrupt sleazeballs just like the GOP, we can go ahead and stop pretending Dems represent some sort of revival of democratic values.  It's the same thing over and over again.  There's gonna be a lot more Trumps.  

ren hoek said:
I dunno squistion man.  Looking at the Amazon wage hikes and Dems embracing 'Medicare For All,' and, well, Trump, it's pretty clear which way the wind was blowing in 2016.  
Neither of which is actually socialism or being labeled as such

Users who are viewing this thread