What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Russell Wilson week 14 - Jacksonville (1 Viewer)

Weeks ago I traded for Dak @ NYG knowing this matchup for Russell. I thought it was slick at the time when he was playing well but regardless, I don't see how you bench him for anyone. Jax is no joke but Russell is just too multifaceted right now to be stopped entirely. Most of his best plays are just unconventional backyard plays that are indefensible if he prolongs the play long enough.

Definitely benching Baldwin (if I make the play-offs), and have been considering benching Wilson in favor of Tyrod. Undecided at the moment.

Not a great matchup first week of playoffs. But you don’t bench studs. Right ?
REALLY terrible offensive line, going against the best pash rush in the league, best pass defense, no run game....on the road, across the country....

Hmmmmm  

This thread is going to be funny when people are ready to jump of the GW Bridge after benching him in week 14. 

A few years ago I started Wilson the first 15 weeks and then benched him for matchups in my week 16 championship.  He scored 36 points and would have won me the title if I'd left him in.

Weeks ago I traded for Dak @ NYG knowing this matchup for Russell. I thought it was slick at the time when he was playing well but regardless, I don't see how you bench him for anyone. Jax is no joke but Russell is just too multifaceted right now to be stopped entirely. Most of his best plays are just unconventional backyard plays that are indefensible if he prolongs the play long enough.
This reminds me of the first year of my only current dynasty league. 2005. I'm kicking ###. I start looking ahead and I see Vick plays the killer league winning Bears D in the playoffs. In the snow. So I have the brilliant foresight to trade for Mark Brunell who has a cake matchup that week. BUT. When it comes time to sub in the middling Brunell over my stud, Michael Vick, I hear "don't bench your studs echoing in my head. I start Vick. Bears shut him down. Brunell kills it. I lost because of it. Then the following weeks I outscore everyone meaning I'd be the inaugural champ to this day and all the days to come. Instead I'm sitting here still never having won that league. Yes, it still bothers me.  :ptts:

Moral of the story: sometimes you bench your studs.

Prologue: I lost the Super Bowl in that league last year and am locked in to the #1 seed right now, so redemption is nigh.

"Never Bench Your Studs" has likely cost me more than it's ever helped. You have to use your eyes and ears and make a judgment and be prepared to live with it. The hard part is that if you bench your stud and you lose, it's a tougher pill to swallow. I had Tomlinson for a few years. The year before  he shattered the TD record, he had a cracked rib but kept saying he was "good to go." I couldn't stomach sitting my best guy and played him while I kept a red hot Willie Parker on the bench. 8 for LT, 22 for Parker and I lost by 2. Don't trust rankings, don't trust fanatsy bromides. Use your eyes and ears and your gut and make a decision and be prepared to live with it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.  Brees still carries a ton of name value but he's barely been a low-end QB1 for the last season and a half.
Sure. But he's still a safer play in Atlanta than Russ against the jags.  You can almost put Drew down for over 250 and a couple TDs in that game. Russ is the play if you're the underdog, but I don't think I will be. I just don't expect the huge days from Drew any more.

Sure. But he's still a safer play in Atlanta than Russ against the jags.  You can almost put Drew down for over 250 and a couple TDs in that game. Russ is the play if you're the underdog, but I don't think I will be. I just don't expect the huge days from Drew any more.
Let's remember that Gabbert just threw for 250 and 2 against this vaunted D. The way I see it, I can live with starting Wilson and losing, but would be pissed beyond belief if I sat him and he had a big game. As for Brees, I can't even begin to count how many times that guy has let people down in the fantasy playoffs, and often against mediocre Falcon D's 

Let's remember that Gabbert just threw for 250 and 2 against this vaunted D. The way I see it, I can live with starting Wilson and losing, but would be pissed beyond belief if I sat him and he had a big game. As for Brees, I can't even begin to count how many times that guy has let people down in the fantasy playoffs, and often against mediocre Falcon D's 
Great minds and all...and us too...

Let's remember that Gabbert just threw for 250 and 2 against this vaunted D. 
That's a really interesting league setup, where you can use Gabbert's points in week 14 ;)

At this point, I'm planning to bench Wilson for Cam, although Cam plays MIN which isn't great either.  I am also considering looking for a streaming option for that week and sitting both of them - but will probably just roll with Cam.

Planning to bench him for Wentz at LAR in our playoff opening round.  
Crazy to have those two, and plain bad luck to have two tough matchups. It's almost enough to make one wish he had Stafford. 

Fair point. I might reconsider but it's far from a lock. 

This reminds me of the first year of my only current dynasty league. 2005. I'm kicking ###. I start looking ahead and I see Vick plays the killer league winning Bears D in the playoffs. In the snow. So I have the brilliant foresight to trade for Mark Brunell who has a cake matchup that week. BUT. When it comes time to sub in the middling Brunell over my stud, Michael Vick, I hear "don't bench your studs echoing in my head. I start Vick. Bears shut him down. Brunell kills it. I lost because of it. Then the following weeks I outscore everyone meaning I'd be the inaugural champ to this day and all the days to come. Instead I'm sitting here still never having won that league. Yes, it still bothers me.  :ptts:

Moral of the story: sometimes you bench your studs.

Prologue: I lost the Super Bowl in that league last year and am locked in to the #1 seed right now, so redemption is nigh.
Good story and I've been there but you make incorrect lineup choices all year long. It didn't make them the wrong decision though. As others have pointed out, I can live with playing my "stud" and losing. I can't live with losing because I veered off the path due to a matchup. There are just as many examples that can be made of the stud you sat and still put up their studly numbers and the second guessing owner is left to ask why they got cute.

There are people in this thread saying well I'm benching him for another stud (I.E. Wentz). That's not even a decision really. We are talking about much lesser players in good matchups over him and I doubt I can do that.

Are we benching Russell against the the 6th ranked Rams pass D the following week too? It's not apples to apples but it's close enough.

Have been riding Wilson all year, but picked up T. Taylor who faces Indy at home week 14.

Leaning Tyrod.

I've never paid attention to never sit your studs. I use the same logic on a weekly basis to sit and start based on matchups and projections data. Period. If that logic fails, it fails. 

I have Alex Smith as my backup who plays at home vs Oakland. Looked like a pretty solid alternative until he started playing like the Alex Smith of old..

Marriotta is my backup, so needless to say I'm rolling Rusty out there next week. Jax on the road is obviously a brutal matchup, but I'm hoping he can net two TD's...you can run on them, so maybe they have some designed plays for him...with way, it will be tough sledding. 

You cannot bench this guy right now. Seattle is playing great football, and Wilson is doing what Wilson does, which is run around all day like he's at the end of a video game controller.  

I changed my mind. Well, Russell changed it for me. He starts, period. 

Alright let's huddle up here. Game on.

Dak@ NYG 

or my main man @ JAX.

Let's talk subs if we can even do it.

Drop back, run around in circles. Doesn't matter how good your D is, that is hard to stop. If the DBs can stick to the SEA WRs then it can be contained.

Benching him, but only because I have Wentz on the bench. 

Can't see benching him for a "normal" backup

Benching him, but only because I have Wentz on the bench. 

Can't see benching him for a "normal" backup
Some folks said earlier in this thread that that decision is a no brainer. I have the same situation and I don’t see it as a foregone conclusion.  Wentz is in the road at LAR and they are the 3rd ranked pass defense.  Wilson has been pretty much indefensible and his rushing yards and TDs help as well.  

Still leaning toward Wentz though as I think the game will be very high scoring and Wentz will need to throw to keep up with Goff.

But I still think Wilson has the highest ceiling this week.  

Eagles have a legit defense and Wilson did just fine against them. I'm going to start him. I think he has a very high floor against any defense. 

Some folks said earlier in this thread that that decision is a no brainer. I have the same situation and I don’t see it as a foregone conclusion.  Wentz is in the road at LAR and they are the 3rd ranked pass defense.  Wilson has been pretty much indefensible and his rushing yards and TDs help as well.  

Still leaning toward Wentz though as I think the game will be very high scoring and Wentz will need to throw to keep up with Goff.

But I still think Wilson has the highest ceiling this week.  
It's not a no-brainer, since as you said LAR has a top pass D too.  Other people say that because Wentz is a top-performing QB, most don't have two options like that.  

What scares me the most about Wilson this week is the Jax pass rush against that terrible Seattle line.  Yes Wilson can scramble and run in circles and all that but he's going to be doing that the entire freaking game.  It'll only take 2 or 3 plays where he breaks a tackle and gains a huge run, or buys just enough time to hit a receiver and boom your score is made, but I think Wentz has the safer floor this week, which is what I need in my matchup. 

It's not a no-brainer, since as you said LAR has a top pass D too.  Other people say that because Wentz is a top-performing QB, most don't have two options like that.  

What scares me the most about Wilson this week is the Jax pass rush against that terrible Seattle line.  Yes Wilson can scramble and run in circles and all that but he's going to be doing that the entire freaking game.  It'll only take 2 or 3 plays where he breaks a tackle and gains a huge run, or buys just enough time to hit a receiver and boom your score is made, but I think Wentz has the safer floor this week, which is what I need in my matchup. 
Right now Wilson's floor is pretty high and people seem to be missing one positive effect of his scrambling--he's known for coming on strong in the 2nd half of games this season and I think much of that has to do with the fact that the defensive front seven is exhausted by the 4th quarter. You often see defensive lapses because rushers don't stay in their lanes and lose contain. I fully expect Jax to bottle him up in the 1st half, but only to see Wilson make some plays in the 2nd half. It certainly won't be easy and people need to temper their expectations, but 2 TD's (maybe one rushing) and say 200 yards passing should be attainable. Those numbers will point to you needing a decent supporting cast if you want to advance in your fantasy playoffs. 

Eagles have a legit defense and Wilson did just fine against them. I'm going to start him. I think he has a very high floor against any defense. 
The difference is in the secondary. Philly's weakness is covering WRs downfield. That is Jax D's strength. Both teams will make Wilson have to run and escape pressure because they're two the best pass-rushing D's in the league but only one of them is the best at covering WRs in the secondary while their D-line puts on the pressure: that's Jax. 

Wilson is gonna be on his ### all day long. 

The difference is in the secondary. Philly's weakness is covering WRs downfield. That is Jax D's strength. Both teams will make Wilson have to run and escape pressure because they're two the best pass-rushing D's in the league but only one of them is the best at covering WRs in the secondary while their D-line puts on the pressure: that's Jax. 

Wilson is gonna be on his ### all day long. 
He will get pressured and sacked more then usual, but "on his ### all day." 0.0% chance that happens. He's too elusive. Again, I'm not expecting big #'s, but an average Wilson game is very possible. In case your memory is hazy, Gabbert threw for 250 and 2 TD's against this vaunted D. Yes, Blaine Gabbert. Zona' Aline isn't great either.   

I expect an bunch of sacks and a bunch of Russell Wilson scrambling highlights. He's too elusive to bottle up.

Super pumped to watch a meaningful late season Jags game. It's been a long time.

I think you have to start him
He is the Seattle offense. If you own him, don’t get cute & bench him. That’s the FF equivalent of running a direct snap jet sweep when it’s 3rd & a foot.

Users who are viewing this thread