Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Northern Voice

2018 Mid-Year Song Draft - Round 9 this AM, Round 10/all owed picks this afternoon.

741 posts in this topic

I will get a spreadsheet and spotify playlist going this evening.

2 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I mentioned these guys a few times in the 2017 albums thread.  Don't know where I stumbled across it for a recommendation, but it quickly became my most listened album this year.  I guess they are from Greece and this was their debut.  IMO they made a better QotSA album than QotSA did this year, and this album scratched the itch I was hoping that QotSA was going to.  

Round 1

Deaf Radio - Backseats

LINK

cool... never heard or heard of this one. 

On 12/4/2017 at 11:13 AM, kupcho1 said:

I can't participate but anxious to see the final product on Spotify

I'd probably just draw from my 'cheatsheet'; @rockaction, help yourself :D

2017 - Pure facets and features 

Appreciate the shout, fine sir. Listening to the playlist as I type. Loving song number four -- as predictable as predictable is.  

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, rockaction said:

On 12/4/2017 at 2:13 PM, kupcho1 said:

I can't participate but anxious to see the final product on Spotify

I'd probably just draw from my 'cheatsheet'; @rockaction, help yourself :D

2017 - Pure facets and features 

Appreciate the shout, fine sir. Listening to the playlist as I type. Loving song number four -- as predictable as predictable is.  

huh... I have the exact same song number four as song number four on my 2017 playlist, and a lot of other same songs too.

Edited by El Floppo
2 people like this

6 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I mentioned these guys a few times in the 2017 albums thread.  Don't know where I stumbled across it for a recommendation, but it quickly became my most listened album this year.  I guess they are from Greece and this was their debut.  IMO they made a better QotSA album than QotSA did this year, and this album scratched the itch I was hoping that QotSA was going to.  

Round 1

Deaf Radio - Backseats

LINK

This is a very good song.

5 hours ago, El Floppo said:

cool... never heard or heard of this one. 

1 hour ago, Northern Voice said:

This is a very good song.

It's representative of the rest of the album, so if you guys liked the tune, the rest is worth a spin.  It will probably end up in my top 5 for the year on our upcoming countdown.  

Here is my #1 song for 2017 from one of my top three albums of the year.  I will promise that all 15 of my selections won't be just in the Country/Americana genres, but we will start that way initially.  First, a song that I just took in Generpalooza II that I spotlighted as one of my favorites from this year.

Round 1 - Chris Stapleton - “Second One To Know” from the album “From A Room, Vol. 1”

While another song became the lead single from the follow-up to Stapleton’s 2015 breakthrough album “Traveller”, this track is the barn burner of the few new tracks that make their way into the nightly setlist.  The song features Chris’ unique vocal cadence with some fine electric gee-tar shredding towards the end.  When this song cranks up on the album, Stapleton is able to take these sections to another level playing live which will make this track a mainstay and highlight of his sets for decades to come.

The album title "From A Room" is not a tongue-in-cheek reference to any ol' room.  It's a reference to the Stapleton's two new 2017 releases as the songs on both of his 2017 projects were recorded in historic RCA Studio A -- hence the albums' titles "From A Room, Vol.1" and "From A Room, Vol. 2".  The producer on both discs was Americana hot-shot producer Dave Cobb, who is RCA Studio A's producer-in-residence and previously produced Stapleton's stellar debut solo disk "Traveller".

4 people like this

Pretty nice mix of pop/indie/rock/hip hop/r&b/country in round one.

1 person likes this

you weren't supposed to read the second one yet :shrug:

3 people like this

RIP Charles Bradley, like that Mr. Jukes song a lot, thanks for sharing it. Also really like this most recent (illegitimate) Ron Gallo pick, never heard of him before. 

1 person likes this

2... These New South Whales- Space In Hell

aussies seem to be on to something lately. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Jaysus said:

Round 2 - The Menzingers - After the Party

I like this album a lot, I've gone back and forth between three songs, including this one for what my favourite song is on it. I may end up taking one from it before the end of this draft. 

9 minutes ago, Buckfast 1 said:

Round 2 - LCD Soundsystem - i used to

Wouldn't have expected this to be the first song picked from this album but it is a great song/album.

1 person likes this

Through 14 picks, we've managed to hit Greece, Sweden, Scotland, Australia, England (x2) and USA (x8) already... and that's without any obscure Norwegian or other bands from Eephus and no Canadian bands from me (yet).

Edited by Northern Voice

3 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Wouldn't have expected this to be the first song picked from this album but it is a great song/album.

Yeah, I was debating between a couple other songs on the album, but I just really like something about the dreamy slow build to the climactic guitar solo in “i used to.”  

1 person likes this

36 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Round 2 - Fever Ray - To The Moon and Back

had a couple tunes this year I listened to... but forgot until now that they did "when I grow up", one of my favorite tunes from that previous year.

Through 14 picks, we've managed to hit Greece, Sweden, Scotland, Australia, England (x2) and USA (x8) already... and that's without any obscure Norwegian or other bands from Eephus and no Canadian bands from me (yet).

...and with no JML.  

1 person likes this

I like this album a lot, I've gone back and forth between three songs, including this one for what my favourite song is on it. I may end up taking one from it before the end of this draft. 

Eephus would be so disappointed.  We aren't going only 1 song/artist? ;)

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Eephus would be so disappointed.  We aren't going only 1 song/artist? ;)

If we're looking at this draft as a primer for the album poll, multiple songs from an album would be a good indicator of a truly great album. 

2 people like this

I won't dip into NV's Canadian pool yet - in the next couple picks though with something from an album that has been near the top of my list for most of the year.  For the am pick I will go with a more recent obsession.  Instantly fell in love with this album, but fair warning that a lot of the rest of it is more morose than this song, but it hits a spot for those kind of days too.   This song is one that I find hitting the replay button on a lot.  Lyrically it's still not an cheery, but the music is more so than the other songs.  Also, since this is an @Northern Voice draft, I should have remembered for the first pick, but I think the draft picks should go with a few italicized lyrics too...

Round 2:

Phoebe Bridgers - Motion Sickness

LINK

I have emotional motion sickness
Somebody roll the windows down
There are no words in the English language
I could scream to drown you out

4 people like this

15 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

If we're looking at this draft as a primer for the album poll, multiple songs from an album would be a good indicator of a truly great album. 

Fair point. 

2 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

Was on my short list as well for drafting a song.

23 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

This premise could lead to most of my draft being country + western

2 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

I am not sure it my favorite either (it is a favorite though) but I am an album guy so I kinda went with one I dig that also has a cool video ;)  

Tellin' Lies is the one that made my Spotify Wrap up top-5

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

I won't dip into NV's Canadian pool yet - in the next couple picks though with something from an album that has been near the top of my list for most of the year.  For the am pick I will go with a more recent obsession.  Instantly fell in love with this album, but fair warning that a lot of the rest of it is more morose than this song, but it hits a spot for those kind of days too.   This song is one that I find hitting the replay button on a lot.  Lyrically it's still not an cheery, but the music is more so than the other songs.  Also, since this is an @Northern Voice draft, I should have remembered for the first pick, but I think the draft picks should go with a few italicized lyrics too...

Round 2:

Phoebe Bridgers - Motion Sickness

LINK

I have emotional motion sickness
Somebody roll the windows down
There are no words in the English language
I could scream to drown you out

Just heard part of this album for the first time last weekend---really good.  But, yeah, pretty morose.

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

Just heard part of this album for the first time last weekend---really good.  But, yeah, pretty morose.

The transition from the song I took to the next song Funeral is pretty jarring, and that song sets up the tone for the rest of the album.  Really great, emotional album, but nobody is going to be bringing it to a party any time soon.