Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Northern Voice

2018 Mid-Year Song Draft - Round 9 this AM, Round 10/all owed picks this afternoon.

Recommended Posts

I will dip into the pool from our friends north of the border.  This was the album I was referring to in my last post that hasn't left the top of my year long list since the start of the year.   Hard to choose a song from it, but I will go with the album opener...

Round 3

The Courtneys - Silver Velvet

LINK
 

The day is getting shady
Playing in the isle
There's nothing in this life to do
But stay here for a while

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, D_House said:

Round 3: HAIM - Little of Your Love

Total ear worm, same as The Wire from their last one. TBH never listened to either album but the singles get heavy play on my local college radio station.

I was underwhelmed by the first single from this album (and album as a whole didn't grab me like the first one) but I love this song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2017 at 11:44 AM, The Dreaded Marco said:

I'm way more of an album guy so I'm mostly going to take tracks from my favorite albums but this song had no proper album--was on the T2 soundtrack and was one of my favorites this year:

Round 1 - Young Fathers - Only God Knows

Great tune.  Flew under my (release) radar this year so thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to double-up on the same album this early, but I strongly considered this song in the first round and it’s by far the biggest hit on my list right now.  One of the best songs from one of the best albums with one of the best videos of 2017.  A fourth round steal, IMO.  

Round 4 - Kendrick Lamar - HUMBLE.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Round 4 - Greta Van Fleet (MI/USA) - Highway Tune from the 2017 EP “From The Fires”

Just realized who this was starting only a month ago.  Great tune that will definitely be in my Top 10 songs this year and given my love for anything Zeppelin-esque (anyone remember Kingdom Come back in the late ‘80’s), this EP would sneak into my Top 10 this year if it qualified.

Edited by dal_boys_phan
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dal_boys_phan said:

Round 4 - Greta Van Fleet (MI/USA) - Highway Tune from the 2017 EP “From The Fires”

Just realized who this was starting only a month ago.  Great tune that will definitely be in my Top 10 songs this year and given my love for anything Zeppelin-esque (anyone remember Kingdom Come back in the late ‘80’s), this EP would sneak into my Top 10 this year if it qualified.

:shock:

hellz yeah!   so damn refreshing to see some rock n' roll w/brass ####### balllllls   :headbang:

goin' great wif my morning coffee/smokes ... gonna go even better w/the upcoming booze/smokes/debauchery 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dal_boys_phan said:

this EP would sneak into my Top 10 this year if it qualified.

Wait, do EPs not count?  Because I currently have a 5-way tie for my #2 album of the year and that would eliminate one of them - lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

Wait, do EPs not count?  Because I currently have a 5-way tie for my #2 album of the year and that would eliminate one of them - lol.

EP's are cool.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Buckfast 1 said:

I hate to double-up on the same album this early, but I strongly considered this song in the first round and it’s by far the biggest hit on my list right now.  One of the best songs from one of the best albums with one of the best videos of 2017.  A fourth round steal, IMO.  

Round 4 - Kendrick Lamar - HUMBLE.

Jim Bob version is good too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing these guys Saturday and this has been at the top of my 2017 playlist all year long.

I thought that this would all work out after a while
Now you’re saying that I’m asking for too much attention
Also no other faith is light enough for this place
We said we’d only die of lonely secrets

Round 4 - The National - The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok... first time I heard this is, I thought- yeah, kinda catchy but really minimal and stupid... not sure how it will hold up. months later, I still bop along to the lo-fi production and it's :doh: improved-sounding lyrics. never expected to, but I can't help ####### love this song... sorry in advance for putting it into your noggin'. and lol- wow- the video is even worse (first time seeing this- lol at telling the story with his hands) and makes me want to punch this guy in the face for making such an ear-worm. gonna have a vodka soda, with a lime. 

4... You Push I'll Go (featuring Alex Sanchez)- Baby Dayliner

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

ok... first time I heard this is, I thought- yeah, kinda catchy but really minimal and stupid... not sure how it will hold up. months later, I still bop along to the lo-fi production and it's :doh: improved-sounding lyrics. never expected to, but I can't help ####### love this song... sorry in advance for putting it into your noggin'. and lol- wow- the video is even worse (first time seeing this- lol at telling the story with his hands) and makes me want to punch this guy in the face for making such an ear-worm. gonna have a vodka soda, with a lime. 

4... You Push I'll Go (featuring Alex Sanchez)- Baby Dayliner

Tasker worthy made up band name.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Northern Voice said:

 

5 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I can't tell if I like this because of or in spite of that video.

 

HELLOEXACTLY

 

ok... time for an IDLES interlude. they're new to me this year, but this tune is from a couple years' back. they changed their style up a little bit for Brutalism, but I love this one as much as their new stuff. also dig their aesthetics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have given it a few spins, but I have not really gotten into Brutalism that much... that being said my most listened to album this year was actually a 2016 release that I felt the same way about last year at this time :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

I have given it a few spins, but I have not really gotten into Brutalism that much... that being said my most listened to album this year was actually a 2016 release that I felt the same way about last year at this time :shrug:

your face was feeling the same about something or other released last year etc.

dunno- the first chords of well done had me hooked.... the rest of the album made me a giant fan- but definitely not a grower for me... was deep in right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dal_boys_phan said:

Round 3 - Dave Hause - The Flinch from the album “Bury Me In Philly”

Just a nice slick pop-punk song from this Philly native, evoking some Bryan Adams aspects.  My #3 song of the year can just as easily be #13, that’s how close they are.

:lmao: This is straight off every mid-80s movie soundtrack. Nice pick :thumbup: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dal_boys_phan said:

Round 4 - Greta Van Fleet (MI/USA) - Highway Tune from the 2017 EP “From The Fires”

Just realized who this was starting only a month ago.  Great tune that will definitely be in my Top 10 songs this year and given my love for anything Zeppelin-esque (anyone remember Kingdom Come back in the late ‘80’s), this EP would sneak into my Top 10 this year if it qualified.

This, yeah... I like this. Will need o spend some time on it tonight.  I, too, will ensure that whiskey is involved. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

:lmao: This is straight off every mid-80s movie soundtrack. Nice pick :thumbup: 

Thanks.  I am trying to stay away from songs that could start political sword fights (like Dirty on Hause’s album) and just pick great songs - but this was one case where my song choice wasn’t altered to stay away from the political stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jaysus said:

Wait, do EPs not count?  Because I currently have a 5-way tie for my #2 album of the year and that would eliminate one of them - lol.

I thought the FFA’s year-end poles did not allow drafting of EPs, but would welcome a flag from @Northern Voice if I am mistaken on that rule.

:penalty:

Will throw the flag (and hat) on myself - see that @Northern Voice corrected me earlier.

Edited by dal_boys_phan
Added flag for “Illegal Rulemaking” - 5 yard penalty, automatic first down
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Round 5 is a go. 

A reminder that there will be one pick each on Friday/Saturday/Sunday and 2 a days will resume next Monday. If you want to post both your picks at once on the weekend ( @Jaysus :bye:), obviously that's cool too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s about time that I take my favorite song from my favorite album of the year, “Run the Jewels 3.”  It was technically released early to Spotify last Christmas Eve, but physical copies of the album weren’t released until January 2017, so it counts as far as I’m concerned.  Killer Mike’s opening verse on this track is one of my favorite verses of the year.  

Round 5:  Run the Jewels ft. Danny Brown - Hey Kids (Bumaye)

Edited by Buckfast 1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the Depeche Mode influence here and I sing the chorus of this to our rescue dog all the time :bag:

How can anybody have you?
How can anybody have you and lose you?
How can anybody have you and lose you
And not lose their minds, too?

Round 5 - St. Vincent - Los Ageless

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I love the Depeche Mode influence here and I sing the chorus of this to our rescue dog all the time :bag:

How can anybody have you?
How can anybody have you and lose you?
How can anybody have you and lose you
And not lose their minds, too?

Round 5 - St. Vincent - Los Ageless

Pop chorus of the year, IMO.  The stripped-down version that she played on the Daily Show last night was kind of haunting.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

There's a couple albums on my list that came out this year/didn't come out this year that I am not sure what to do with.  

Well if they came out last year, don't draft them. If they came out this year, feel free to draft away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Well if they came out last year, don't draft them. If they came out this year, feel free to draft away.

RtJ was the main one - listed as this year, but they dropped it early at the end of last year.  

There was another that I guess was released as EPs before, but this year came out as an LP that combined them.  Probably just skip over that one.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

RtJ was the main one - listed as this year, but they dropped it early at the end of last year.  

There was another that I guess was released as EPs before, but this year came out as an LP that combined them.  Probably just skip over that one.  

I was just busting your balls 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Rd 5 The Bus Song by Jay Som

 

Why don't we take the bus?
You say you don't like the smell
But I like the bus
I can be whoever I want to be

I am planning on doing Women's Weekend (and dropping 3 songs tomorrow :oldunsure:) Jay Som was in contention as my Sunday pick - different song though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

RtJ was the main one - listed as this year, but they dropped it early at the end of last year.  

There was another that I guess was released as EPs before, but this year came out as an LP that combined them.  Probably just skip over that one.  

Yeah, unfortunately, I think RTJ3 has been unjustly excluded from some 2017 best album end-of-year lists based on its Christmas Eve 2016 release, even though it was released too late to make any of the 2016 lists.  Or maybe some people are just still sleeping on them.  But I think it is clearly fair game under the rules here.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Round 4:  Mourning Sound - Grizzly Bear

Quote

Let love age
And watch it burn out and die

Round 5:  Song - Sylvan Esso

Quote

Yes, I'm the song that you can't get out of your head

(will add Spotify links later...)

 

Edited by kupcho1
add links
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2017 at 11:07 AM, Northern Voice said:

This will be a song draft of any song that was released or peaked in popularity in 2017. I'm not going to be picky about release dates. Anything that was released on a 2017 album is eligible, including live albums. Any single or song released digitally in 2017 is eligible. Anything that charted in 2017 is eligible. Anything that can be reasonably considered a 2017 song is eligible. All genres and styles of music - newcomers to song drafts encouraged. 

This is what I said re: eligibilty. It's pretty clear when albums were released, there is a set date but songs can peak the year after or sometimes the year before the album they're on is released, so if it seems like it was a song that was bigger in 2017 than 2016, even if just to you, then it's fine here. Albums are a bit more tricky...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Round 4

Slowdive - Sugar for the Pill

LINK

There's a buzzard of gulls
They're drumming in the wind
Only lovers alive
Running in the dark

I listened to this album when it came out, liked it and then completely forgot about it somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, kupcho1 said:

Round 4:  Mourning Sound - Grizzly Bear

Round 5:  Song - Sylvan Esso

(will add Spotify links later...)

 

grizzly bear's album this year is super consistent... hard to pick just one winner from it- all really good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5... Integration- The Bay Rays

this one reminds me of somebody/some-song... in a good way. walkmen? can't place it, but it scratches my scrotum just right. that said- I get the sense that these guys aren't quite ready for prime time- the little digging I've done, they seem a bit posery. but it's definitely one of the songs that gets me going every time I hear it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buckfast 1 said:

Yeah, unfortunately, I think RTJ3 has been unjustly excluded from some 2017 best album end-of-year lists based on its Christmas Eve 2016 release, even though it was released too late to make any of the 2016 lists.  Or maybe some people are just still sleeping on them.  But I think it is clearly fair game under the rules here.  

 

I was wondering about this for the year-end poll, as it would be my number two album of the year. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A slow jam for Round 4: H.E.R. - Changes

That’s just how the game goes

When you’re feeling alone

Everybody’s got somebody that they mess with on the low

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I was wondering about this for the year-end poll, as it would be my number two album of the year. 

 

The album was apparently always scheduled for the official release in January 2017, but Killer Mike and El-P blessed us with a Christmas miracle by releasing it to the streaming services early.  I don’t think you can hold them out of the 2017 best album rankings based on that, especially considering that the hard album wasn’t available for purchase until 2017.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.