What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Mid-Year Song Draft - Round 9 this AM, Round 10/all owed picks this afternoon. (2 Viewers)

I will dip into the pool from our friends north of the border.  This was the album I was referring to in my last post that hasn't left the top of my year long list since the start of the year.   Hard to choose a song from it, but I will go with the album opener...

Round 3

The Courtneys - Silver Velvet

LINK

The day is getting shady
Playing in the isle
There's nothing in this life to do
But stay here for a while

I hate to double-up on the same album this early, but I strongly considered this song in the first round and it’s by far the biggest hit on my list right now.  One of the best songs from one of the best albums with one of the best videos of 2017.  A fourth round steal, IMO.  

Round 4 - Kendrick Lamar - HUMBLE.

Round 4 - Greta Van Fleet (MI/USA) - Highway Tune from the 2017 EP “From The Fires”

Just realized who this was starting only a month ago.  Great tune that will definitely be in my Top 10 songs this year and given my love for anything Zeppelin-esque (anyone remember Kingdom Come back in the late ‘80’s), this EP would sneak into my Top 10 this year if it qualified.

Last edited by a moderator:
Round 4 - Greta Van Fleet (MI/USA) - Highway Tune from the 2017 EP “From The Fires”

Just realized who this was starting only a month ago.  Great tune that will definitely be in my Top 10 songs this year and given my love for anything Zeppelin-esque (anyone remember Kingdom Come back in the late ‘80’s), this EP would sneak into my Top 10 this year if it qualified.
:shock:

hellz yeah!   so damn refreshing to see some rock n' roll w/brass ####### balllllls    :headbang:

goin' great wif my morning coffee/smokes ... gonna go even better w/the upcoming booze/smokes/debauchery 

ok... first time I heard this is, I thought- yeah, kinda catchy but really minimal and stupid... not sure how it will hold up. months later, I still bop along to the lo-fi production and it's :doh:  improved-sounding lyrics. never expected to, but I can't help ####### love this song... sorry in advance for putting it into your noggin'. and lol- wow- the video is even worse (first time seeing this- lol at telling the story with his hands) and makes me want to punch this guy in the face for making such an ear-worm. gonna have a vodka soda, with a lime. 

4... You Push I'll Go (featuring Alex Sanchez)- Baby Dayliner

ok... first time I heard this is, I thought- yeah, kinda catchy but really minimal and stupid... not sure how it will hold up. months later, I still bop along to the lo-fi production and it's :doh:  improved-sounding lyrics. never expected to, but I can't help ####### love this song... sorry in advance for putting it into your noggin'. and lol- wow- the video is even worse (first time seeing this- lol at telling the story with his hands) and makes me want to punch this guy in the face for making such an ear-worm. gonna have a vodka soda, with a lime. 

4... You Push I'll Go (featuring Alex Sanchez)- Baby Dayliner
Tasker worthy made up band name.

I have given it a few spins, but I have not really gotten into Brutalism that much... that being said my most listened to album this year was actually a 2016 release that I felt the same way about last year at this time :shrug:

I have given it a few spins, but I have not really gotten into Brutalism that much... that being said my most listened to album this year was actually a 2016 release that I felt the same way about last year at this time :shrug:
your face was feeling the same about something or other released last year etc.

dunno- the first chords of well done had me hooked.... the rest of the album made me a giant fan- but definitely not a grower for me... was deep in right away.

dal_boys_phan said:

This, yeah... I like this. Will need o spend some time on it tonight.  I, too, will ensure that whiskey is involved. 

:lmao:  This is straight off every mid-80s movie soundtrack. Nice pick :thumbup:  
Thanks.  I am trying to stay away from songs that could start political sword fights (like Dirty on Hause’s album) and just pick great songs - but this was one case where my song choice wasn’t altered to stay away from the political stuff.

There's a couple albums on my list that came out this year/didn't come out this year that I am not sure what to do with.  

Jaysus said:
Wait, do EPs not count?  Because I currently have a 5-way tie for my #2 album of the year and that would eliminate one of them - lol.
I thought the FFA’s year-end poles did not allow drafting of EPs, but would welcome a flag from @Northern Voice if I am mistaken on that rule.

:penalty:

Will throw the flag (and hat) on myself - see that @Northern Voice corrected me earlier.

Round 5 is a go. 

A reminder that there will be one pick each on Friday/Saturday/Sunday and 2 a days will resume next Monday. If you want to post both your picks at once on the weekend ( @Jaysus :bye: ), obviously that's cool too. 

It’s about time that I take my favorite song from my favorite album of the year, “Run the Jewels 3.”  It was technically released early to Spotify last Christmas Eve, but physical copies of the album weren’t released until January 2017, so it counts as far as I’m concerned.  Killer Mike’s opening verse on this track is one of my favorite verses of the year.  

Round 5:  Run the Jewels ft. Danny Brown - Hey Kids (Bumaye)

I love the Depeche Mode influence here and I sing the chorus of this to our rescue dog all the time  :bag:

How can anybody have you?
How can anybody have you and lose you?
How can anybody have you and lose you
And not lose their minds, too?

Round 5 - St. Vincent - Los Ageless
Pop chorus of the year, IMO.  The stripped-down version that she played on the Daily Show last night was kind of haunting.  

Well if they came out last year, don't draft them. If they came out this year, feel free to draft away.
RtJ was the main one - listed as this year, but they dropped it early at the end of last year.  

There was another that I guess was released as EPs before, but this year came out as an LP that combined them.  Probably just skip over that one.  

RtJ was the main one - listed as this year, but they dropped it early at the end of last year.  

There was another that I guess was released as EPs before, but this year came out as an LP that combined them.  Probably just skip over that one.  
I was just busting your balls 

Yeah, unfortunately, I think RTJ3 has been unjustly excluded from some 2017 best album end-of-year lists based on its Christmas Eve 2016 release, even though it was released too late to make any of the 2016 lists.  Or maybe some people are just still sleeping on them.  But I think it is clearly fair game under the rules here.  

This will be a song draft of any song that was released or peaked in popularity in 2017. I'm not going to be picky about release dates. Anything that was released on a 2017 album is eligible, including live albums. Any single or song released digitally in 2017 is eligible. Anything that charted in 2017 is eligible. Anything that can be reasonably considered a 2017 song is eligible. All genres and styles of music - newcomers to song drafts encouraged. 
This is what I said re: eligibilty. It's pretty clear when albums were released, there is a set date but songs can peak the year after or sometimes the year before the album they're on is released, so if it seems like it was a song that was bigger in 2017 than 2016, even if just to you, then it's fine here. Albums are a bit more tricky...

5... Integration- The Bay Rays

this one reminds me of somebody/some-song... in a good way. walkmen? can't place it, but it scratches my scrotum just right. that said- I get the sense that these guys aren't quite ready for prime time- the little digging I've done, they seem a bit posery. but it's definitely one of the songs that gets me going every time I hear it.

Yeah, unfortunately, I think RTJ3 has been unjustly excluded from some 2017 best album end-of-year lists based on its Christmas Eve 2016 release, even though it was released too late to make any of the 2016 lists.  Or maybe some people are just still sleeping on them.  But I think it is clearly fair game under the rules here.  
I was wondering about this for the year-end poll, as it would be my number two album of the year. 

I was wondering about this for the year-end poll, as it would be my number two album of the year. 
The album was apparently always scheduled for the official release in January 2017, but Killer Mike and El-P blessed us with a Christmas miracle by releasing it to the streaming services early.  I don’t think you can hold them out of the 2017 best album rankings based on that, especially considering that the hard album wasn’t available for purchase until 2017.  

Users who are viewing this thread