What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Archery Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I don't see an archery thread, so it may be gone. If anyone else can find it and link to it, I'll un-archive it if that's the issue.

Been shooting every day since I got my bow back from getting tuned. Shooting form 10-15 yards and just trying to repeat the same motions. I can stick a pretty good grouping from that distance without a sight. :hifive:
Awesome!  Do you have a local shop close by that did the tune for you?  Do they have a coach?  I’d strongly recommend a coach.  It’s very similar to golf - gotta get a good foundation in your mechanics.  It’ll go a long way...

Awesome!  Do you have a local shop close by that did the tune for you?  Do they have a coach?  I’d strongly recommend a coach.  It’s very similar to golf - gotta get a good foundation in your mechanics.  It’ll go a long way...
Yeah, got it tuned and back. Also got a sight, I picked up an IQ Micro. It had really good reviews and got recommended by the guy I bought the bow from. Their retina lock is really good for beginners because it helps prevent you from torquing the bow.

It was really easy to dial in, by the end I was hitting really good shots from 40yards. 

I do have a guy lined up for coaching, but I need to finish my soccer season first. I've read/watched a lot of videos for the basics. Really like listening to John Dudley, dude is awesome. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Yeah, got it tuned and back. Also got a sight, I picked up an IQ Micro. It had really good reviews and got recommended by the guy I bought the bow from. Their retina lock is really good for beginners because it helps prevent you from torquing the bow.

It was really easy to dial in, by the end I was hitting really good shots from 40yards. 

I do have a guy lined up for coaching, but I need to finish my soccer season first. I've read/watched a lot of videos for the basics. Really like listening to John Dudley, dude is awesome. 
:thumbup:   Shooting far is so much fun.  It'll show you all the warts in your shot really quick...

Duds is a good dude and explains things well, especially for always being half in the bag.  Some of his videos he doesn't even hide that he's drinking during the video.   :lol:  

What's nerdy about archery?  It's very far from nerdy.

I have a bow but rarely use it.  Main reason I got it is because my in-laws own an archery store.  It's pretty sweet.  Really enjoy shooting the Techno Hunt.

What's nerdy about archery?  It's very far from nerdy.

I have a bow but rarely use it.  Main reason I got it is because my in-laws own an archery store.  It's pretty sweet.  Really enjoy shooting the Techno Hunt.
That's very cool!  How long have they been in business?  It's a very tough biz to be successful at over a long period of time.  My first real job as a teen was in our local archery shop fletching arrows for $4.25/hr.  

Techno Hunt is a lot of fun.  That's a $10K investment, IRRC.  

That's very cool!  How long have they been in business?  It's a very tough biz to be successful at over a long period of time.  My first real job as a teen was in our local archery shop fletching arrows for $4.25/hr.  

Techno Hunt is a lot of fun.  That's a $10K investment, IRRC.  
I think they've been in business for about 6 years.  They've been doing well and moved to a larger building on main street a couple years ago.  They're one of the only good archery stores in about 60 miles so they draw customers from a good distance.  They sell bows and accessories.  They are certified to work on equipment and teach lessons.  Along with Techno Hunt they have three different ranges indoors to shoot.  I think the longest is 40 yards.  They have JOAD classes every week to teach young kids how to shoot and my son has been going to it.  My sister-in-law is one of the instructors and she's shot in some tournaments.

The archery is their second job which helps them financially.  They're only open after 5pm.

I think they've been in business for about 6 years.  They've been doing well and moved to a larger building on main street a couple years ago.  They're one of the only good archery stores in about 60 miles so they draw customers from a good distance.  They sell bows and accessories.  They are certified to work on equipment and teach lessons.  Along with Techno Hunt they have three different ranges indoors to shoot.  I think the longest is 40 yards.  They have JOAD classes every week to teach young kids how to shoot and my son has been going to it.  My sister-in-law is one of the instructors and she's shot in some tournaments.

The archery is their second job which helps them financially.  They're only open after 5pm.
Sounds like they're doing it right.  Congrats to them!

How's your son liking JOAD?  I love seeing the kids getting into the sport.  Our archery club runs a nice JOAD program that's grown a lot - they now have a wait list just to get added to the team.  

My oldest son is a good shot, but his interest comes and goes.  He's won NJ indoor state champs twice and shot at indoor NFAA nationals twice, but last year didn't care to shoot at all.  :loco: This year he seems more interested, I'm hoping it sticks!  This is his last year in the cub division (similar to Bowman in JOAD) before he has to jump to 20yds. 

Sounds like they're doing it right.  Congrats to them!

How's your son liking JOAD?  I love seeing the kids getting into the sport.  Our archery club runs a nice JOAD program that's grown a lot - they now have a wait list just to get added to the team.  

My oldest son is a good shot, but his interest comes and goes.  He's won NJ indoor state champs twice and shot at indoor NFAA nationals twice, but last year didn't care to shoot at all.  :loco: This year he seems more interested, I'm hoping it sticks!  This is his last year in the cub division (similar to Bowman in JOAD) before he has to jump to 20yds. 
He enjoys it while he's there but never seems to want to go ahead of time.  I think he just prefers staying at home sometimes.  It helps that his grandpa and aunt are there to teach him.  He's 8 right now and sticks to the 25 yard target.

Got in about 200 shots today .... Man the shoulders are sore. Finally picked up a stabilizer, too. That helped just enough to tighten up my grouping. 

• Smile
The Gator said:
Got in about 200 shots today .... Man the shoulders are sore. Finally picked up a stabilizer, too. That helped just enough to tighten up my grouping. 
:hifive:  

I’ve been shooting a ton getting ready for indoor tournament season. Things are coming together well - just gotta work on my mental game :loco:  

shot this today - both 9s were total brain farts. It’s incredible how the moment you let up your focus the arrow goes wandering. 

I’ve been shooting a ton getting ready for indoor tournament season. Things are coming together well - just gotta work on my mental game :loco:  

shot this today - both 9s were total brain farts. It’s incredible how the moment you let up your focus the arrow goes wandering. 
Nice, how far is that from? 

This is what a pro’s target looks like at an indoor tournament. That’s 59 out of 60 arrows inside the X ring without touching the ring itself (called inside-out).  I can’t explain how superhuman that is :loco:  

This  was my second set after warming up yesterday from 20y. 

I don’t move onto 40y until I put three in there. This was the quickest I’ve done it yet.

So me and my 10 year old son are doing a beginning archery class through a local club. We both really like it and I anticipate that we would both get bows after the class is done, and join a club. I will be throwing questions in here as I figure this out as I know nothing. Looks like it could be an expensive hobby, but a fun one. Not sure if I will hunt, but my brother does and has land. Looks like a good sport to male bond. 

Last edited by a moderator:
7)  Susan Pevensie (Anna Popplewell)

6)  Speedy / Thea Queen (Willa Holland)

5)  Shado (Celina Jade) - 

4)  Talia al Ghul (Lexa Doig) 

3)  Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) - Surprise upset, Katniss not even #2 let alone #1. But I'd take two other archers ahead of her.

2)  Cupid / Carrie Cutter (Amy Gumenick) -  Bonus pic

1)  Nyssa al Ghul, and Mira from Spartacus (Katrina Law) - Not only does Katrina Law make the hottest archer, she does it as two different characters. Add the Nyssa accent on top of the drop dead looks and she can have my arrow in her quiver anytime.  Bonus pic.   Bonus pic.  Bonus pic

Last edited by a moderator:
Last group from 60y.

couldn't really get it completely dialed in yet from 60 as I only putting in 1 of 3 for about ten rounds. Just before this I put two in it two rounds in a row and then I got all three finally. I like ending positively so that was it. Last three rounds all felt really good.

@Ned , I went shooting on Saturday and there was a group of kids at the range warming up for a state tournament for Olympic recurve bows. It was pretty cool watching them for about 30min and listening to their coach. They were hopeful to do well and make it nationals in Vegas.

• Smile
Last group from 60y.

couldn't really get it completely dialed in yet from 60 as I only putting in 1 of 3 for about ten rounds. Just before this I put two in it two rounds in a row and then I got all three finally. I like ending positively so that was it. Last three rounds all felt really good.

@Ned , I went shooting on Saturday and there was a group of kids at the range warming up for a state tournament for Olympic recurve bows. It was pretty cool watching them for about 30min and listening to their coach. They were hopeful to do well and make it nationals in Vegas.
You're catching on quick!  Most beginners would be happy to keep it on the bale at 60yds.  No shtick.  :thumbup:  

I have the utmost respect for the recurve (and even moreso the barebow) shooters.  You have to have pristine form to be able to compete with that equipment.  Compounds hide a lot of warts.  

I just held a big (for us) tournament this weekend at our club.  The Lancaster Classic is a national event, so I've been running a warm-up tournament for this event for 5 years now.  We had 60 shooters and it went perfectly.  The owner of Lancaster has been bringing his kids down to shoot in our event, which is super cool of him to do.  The stuff he does for our sport is incredible; he's a rare role model.  We were talking about saving up to buy tablets for scoring (instead of paper), and he didn't even blink an eye - "just let me know and you can borrow ours whenever you need it".  The fact he'd give us 15-20 tablets without even thinking...

I shot a 626 with 34 X's (perfect is 660 - that's 60 arrows in that little dime sized X).  That's about my average right now, but I'd like to get that up higher if I want to make the shootoffs at Lancaster (like NCAA brackets).  You need to be in low 630's to make the field of 64.

I'll try to snap some pics at Lancaster so you can see what a big national tournament looks like.  It's pretty cool seeing/hearing 500 shooters all going at the same time.  The shootoffs is a head 2 head format where they put you up on stage under lights.

The Lancaster tournament is this weekend; qualification rounds are tomorrow.  My wife is shooting also - she's shooting with Mackenzie Brown, who's the #1 US Olympic archer.  This is event us pretty cool how they mix the amateurs with the pros.  

The Lancaster tournament is this weekend; qualification rounds are tomorrow.  My wife is shooting also - she's shooting with Mackenzie Brown, who's the #1 US Olympic archer.  This is event us pretty cool how they mix the amateurs with the pros.  
:pics:

• Smile
I'll give a brief update. My 10 year old and I are going down the rabbit hole. We're still in a beginner class at a local club (which coincidentally also hosts a class for our state's hunter's safety and bow hunting requirement), but in the last two weeks I've bought us used bows (a Diamond Infinite Edge Pro for him that was target shot by a youth and a Mathews Chill R for me) and got them set up at a local shop, along with all the fixin's (sights, release, arrows, etc.). We joined a different bow club ($50 for the year, with 20 yard indoor range, plus outdoor out to 80, plus 3D course) and shot our bows for the first time on Tuesday. My son's draw weight is only 16 pounds (he weighs maybe 60 lbs) and we still need to get his sight dialed in, but it should be a bow that grows with him. I got my sight dialed in a bit, and had a nice grouping around the bullseye at 20 yards by the end (furthest I've shot, since our class is only 10 yards). The pin meandered around the bullseye a bit as I was aiming and waiting to steady in for my shot, and I'm not sure if that is normal or if I am doing something wrong or need to stabilize the bow arm more (I'm shooting at about 56#, but the letoff is 85% so it is pretty easy to hold until ready to shoot). So new I don't even know what I'm doing right/wrong. Class tomorrow will be good to get more pointers.

I'm not sure if people bow hunt here. It's unlikely I'll go this year (my family has land to hunt on and more experienced hunters to lean on), but would like to learn. Been listening to Nock On podcast and watching videos on Youtube. I know nothing about hunting and seems like a steep learning curve for everything (would likely focus on white tail and maybe turkeys). I'm 41 years old and it has been a while since I've been as excited to start a new 'hobby' (or obsession, if you will). 

I'll give a brief update. My 10 year old and I are going down the rabbit hole. We're still in a beginner class at a local club (which coincidentally also hosts a class for our state's hunter's safety and bow hunting requirement), but in the last two weeks I've bought us used bows (a Diamond Infinite Edge Pro for him that was target shot by a youth and a Mathews Chill R for me) and got them set up at a local shop, along with all the fixin's (sights, release, arrows, etc.). We joined a different bow club ($50 for the year, with 20 yard indoor range, plus outdoor out to 80, plus 3D course) and shot our bows for the first time on Tuesday. My son's draw weight is only 16 pounds (he weighs maybe 60 lbs) and we still need to get his sight dialed in, but it should be a bow that grows with him. I got my sight dialed in a bit, and had a nice grouping around the bullseye at 20 yards by the end (furthest I've shot, since our class is only 10 yards). The pin meandered around the bullseye a bit as I was aiming and waiting to steady in for my shot, and I'm not sure if that is normal or if I am doing something wrong or need to stabilize the bow arm more (I'm shooting at about 56#, but the letoff is 85% so it is pretty easy to hold until ready to shoot). So new I don't even know what I'm doing right/wrong. Class tomorrow will be good to get more pointers.

I'm not sure if people bow hunt here. It's unlikely I'll go this year (my family has land to hunt on and more experienced hunters to lean on), but would like to learn. Been listening to Nock On podcast and watching videos on Youtube. I know nothing about hunting and seems like a steep learning curve for everything (would likely focus on white tail and maybe turkeys). I'm 41 years old and it has been a while since I've been as excited to start a new 'hobby' (or obsession, if you will). 
That......is......awesome!

Yes, the infinite edge is perfect for young kids since it'll grow with them.  :thumbup:

I'm the 3D chairman at our club - very cool you picked a club that has 3D.  That's a totally different ball game there.   Feel free to ask questions.

On the bolded - The biggest thing you'll benefit from is how to get bone on bone on bone with your wrist, elbow, and shoulder on your bow arm side.  The muscles in that arm should be relatively relaxed - the more muscle tension you introduce into the shot, the more that pin is going to bounce.  Yes, draw length, holding weight (let off), and stabilization will help minimize that, but it will all be torched if you're too tense in your shot.

Equally as important is being relaxed on the release side.  What kind of release are you shooting?  A hand held or wrist strap?  Here's a great video from one of the best archers in the world on this subject.  https://youtu.be/Tqj6qIcTHdc

I am an avid bow hunter for whitetails only.  Been hunting for 24 years now and still love it.  I take roughly half of my vacation time around the rut to chase the big boys around.

What kind of release are you shooting?  A hand held or wrist strap?
I got a cheap wrist strap from a name company that seems to work well, but just today bought a used Stan SX2 three finger handheld thumb release off ArcheryTalk forum classifieds (the :nerd: s of the archery world) to dip my toe in the water for a reasonable price (Damn, new ones are expensive!). Probably won't see it until next week. Will pop in here when I have more to share, but watching the club guys shoot was impressive. 

just getting into this mainly for hunting. 

went out out last weekend for a hog but didn’t even see anything. hoping to get back out next weekend.

• Smile
I got a cheap wrist strap from a name company that seems to work well, but just today bought a used Stan SX2 three finger handheld thumb release off ArcheryTalk forum classifieds (the :nerd: s of the archery world) to dip my toe in the water for a reasonable price (Damn, new ones are expensive!). Probably won't see it until next week. Will pop in here when I have more to share, but watching the club guys shoot was impressive. 
I'm a huge nerd on AT - Ned250 over there.

I am shooting the SX3; Stans are the best in the biz, IMO.  Do yourself a favor and watch this video for setting it up.  Set it up with no travel and set the tension pretty heavy.  A hair trigger is a death sentence to most archers.

Then rewatch video I posted earlier from Jesse Broadwater.

Yesterday was a good learning experience at the club for both me and my son. Was trying out my new (used) Stan SX2 handheld thumb release for the first time. Second pull I had my thumb on the trigger and I punched myself in the face ala Tyler Durden in Fight Club. The arrow had just enough speed to hit the wall below the target about 3 inches off the floor. My jaw was sore as I was left figuring out what happened. My son saw part of this and smiled at my dilemma. I didn't make that mistake again, but had a few other misfires. I'm hoping I figure this thumb release out and still need to watch Ned's videos.

Now my boy has had his own issues. He has a modified whisker biscuit sort of rest where three brush rests are on 120 degree angles and the bristles are stiffer. Well up until I watched him at the end of last night's shoot, he had the arrows upside down with the fletches lined up with the bristles, instead of shooting through the gaps thus his arrows were all over the place. Once he made that change things were shooting better for him. We'll be signing up for hunter/bow safety classes in March and have no idea what to expect, but should be fun.  

Yesterday was a good learning experience at the club for both me and my son. Was trying out my new (used) Stan SX2 handheld thumb release for the first time. Second pull I had my thumb on the trigger and I punched myself in the face ala Tyler Durden in Fight Club. The arrow had just enough speed to hit the wall below the target about 3 inches off the floor. My jaw was sore as I was left figuring out what happened. My son saw part of this and smiled at my dilemma. I didn't make that mistake again, but had a few other misfires. I'm hoping I figure this thumb release out and still need to watch Ned's videos.

Now my boy has had his own issues. He has a modified whisker biscuit sort of rest where three brush rests are on 120 degree angles and the bristles are stiffer. Well up until I watched him at the end of last night's shoot, he had the arrows upside down with the fletches lined up with the bristles, instead of shooting through the gaps thus his arrows were all over the place. Once he made that change things were shooting better for him. We'll be signing up for hunter/bow safety classes in March and have no idea what to expect, but should be fun.  
I've bowhunted for 30 yrs. There's nothing like it. 6 wk season here in Pa

Actually it's 3 more weeks after Christmas too but I'm flintlock hunting then :)

Sounds like you and your boy are going about everything the right way. Have fun !

maxed out my draw weight to 70, picked some real arrows(350g carbon express) instead of the generic big box brand. Also got a few different broad heads to try out. 

Should have sore shoulders by sunday :thumbup:

:lol:  don't sweat the face-punch, happens to the best of'em.  Just draw with your thumb down behind the button.  When you get to full draw and anchor, wrap your thumb around the button.  Make sure to watch the setup video I posted - it'll go a long way to getting a good shot execution process down (having no trigger travel is the key).

Me and the family are heading to Cincy this weekend for Indoor national championships.  My shooting has been a mess lately, so not sure what to expect.  My wife and oldest son are competing - I really hope they do well. Both shot personal bests this past weekend at the regionals.  My wife in particular can really make some noise if she keeps this up.

Me and the family are heading to Cincy this weekend for Indoor national championships.  My shooting has been a mess lately, so not sure what to expect.  My wife and oldest son are competing - I really hope they do well. Both shot personal bests this past weekend at the regionals.  My wife in particular can really make some noise if she keeps this up.
What kind of bows is your family shooting for these comps? 

Users who are viewing this thread