What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ju Ju Shuster suspended for cheap shot. (2 Viewers)

Not to defend the NFL here, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to apply a different standard to Juju in this case than in the Green, Gronk or other cases. Not because of the hit or the taunting, or the combination, but because this Steelers Bengals thing is out of control. And it's absolutely ok to factor that into the discipline. It's defendable and fair.

Agree that the NFL doesn't have any clear or sensible way they hand out these punishments; but you have to admit that the optics of a hit that did involve head contact (& I agree it wasn't the original point of contact) followed by a player standing over him, flexing, followed by that player having to be carted off the field would contribute to the resulting suspension, no?
No. Optics and the the "temperature in the room" should not have one single thing to do with meting out fair punishment.

Please stop all of you who want to even remotely thing that JuJu standing over someone, taunting if you will, is a reason for a suspension. Stop that nonsense this second for your sake as well as ours.

Not to defend the NFL here, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to apply a different standard to Juju in this case than in the Green, Gronk or other cases. Not because of the hit or the taunting, or the combination, but because this Steelers Bengals thing is out of control. And it's absolutely ok to factor that into the discipline. It's defendable and fair.
To the bolded let me say, no, no, no and hell no.

Absolutely ridiculous. Both Gronkowski and Iloka's plays were much more egregious. JuJu blocked Burfict square in the chest. His helmet slid up under Vontaze's helmet. You want to throw the crackback block flag, OK. I'm not even sure if it was a blindside block since he was squared to Vontaze, but OK. The taunting was unnecessary. Throw a flag there too. Fine. A suspension for that is absurd. He did not target the player's head and/or neck. The major impact was shoulder to chest, the rest was incidental. I'm not sorry that Burfict was the one de-cleated, but the defender blocked isn't the issue, the hit is. I agree with those that feel that this is a message to the teams to "knock it off." A suspension was not warranted based solely on the play. 

Iloka launched himself and intentionally blasted Brown in the head with the crown of his helmet. Iloka is also a known head-hunter and Bengals fans know it. That was much worse. If there was any single play in the game that deserved a suspension in a vacuum, this is the one. 

Gronkowski gave a guy a forearm shiver to the back of the head after the play was whistled dead and concussed him. That was the worst offense of the three. It wasn't even in the run of play and effectively was tantamount to assault. 

The fact that all 3 players received the same penalty just once again shows how capriciously the NFL metes out "justice."
Iloka should not have been suspended either.

Anyone that thinks that Schuster wasn't specifically trying to get payback for the Burfict/Brown hit in 2015 isn't paying attention.

And since the NFL has apparently decided it's up to the teams to police this kind of thing amongst themselves, no whining when JJS gets his somewhere down the line.

We're from different schools of thought on this I guess. Repeat offenders don't get leniency. The Bengals Steelers are way past first level disciplines. All of their players should know this. 
If you want to invoke repeat offender into the equation you are talking "team" because you surely can't be talking about JuJu or Iloka, neither of whom have had a prior offense.

So now that we've established you are talking about team, if you feel repeat offenders don't get leniency, then you fine the "team".

JuJu and Iloka do not deserve to be classified as repeat offenders and not getting suspended does not count as being lenient.

The school of thought I come form is consistency. If you are going to suspend players for what JuJu and Iloka did then every single week of every single season multiple players will be subject to suspension.

Anyone that thinks that Schuster wasn't specifically trying to get payback for the Burfict/Brown hit in 2015 isn't paying attention.

And since the NFL has apparently decided it's up to the teams to police this kind of thing amongst themselves, no whining when JJS gets his somewhere down the line.
Except JuJu shouldn't "get his". 

Much like baseball, when something happens, then a player gets plunked as retaliation and it should end there. The pitcher shouldn't be next. That's how it works 99% of the time and the guy who gets plunked knows what it was for and takes it.

Even if it was payback for the Brown hit (I'm not convinced it was but won't argue it couldn't be), then it should be that and it should end there. If the Bengals decide to now retaliate against the retaliation, then there should be complaining as that's not how it should work. You commit a dirty play and it gets reciprocated, then you take it and that should be it. 

Sorry, GB, don't agree at all. And I'm not a Pittsburgh fan at all. 

They absolutely haven't decided it's up to the teams to police themselves. They've done the opposite.  If this exact play took place last week against the Packers, he gets flagged and probably fined. No suspension. The NFL is sending a message. 

Although I'm sure when Burfict doles out his next in a long line of cheap shots and dirty plays, it'll be justified by his fans as "payback." As if he did nothing to precipitate this in the first place. Last time around, it was "someone needed to show the Steelers that [we] weren't going to roll over anymore."  Sure. The guy's a white knight. 

Except JuJu shouldn't "get his". 

Much like baseball, when something happens, then a player gets plunked as retaliation and it should end there. The pitcher shouldn't be next. That's how it works 99% of the time and the guy who gets plunked knows what it was for and takes it.

Even if it was payback for the Brown hit (I'm not convinced it was but won't argue it couldn't be), then it should be that and it should end there. If the Bengals decide to now retaliate against the retaliation, then there should be complaining as that's not how it should work. You commit a dirty play and it gets reciprocated, then you take it and that should be it. 

Sorry, GB, don't agree at all. And I'm not a Pittsburgh fan at all. 
They already did that. If someone is going to characterize JuJu's hit as retribution, then clearly Iloka's was payback for the payback. As long as the Bengals see themselves as the aggrieved party, they're liable to keep lashing out. They ought to try doing it on the scoreboard instead for a change. 

They already did that. If someone is going to characterize JuJu's hit as retribution, then clearly Iloka's was payback for the payback. As long as the Bengals see themselves as the aggrieved party, they're liable to keep lashing out. They ought to try doing it on the scoreboard instead for a change. 
That’s the thing with the Bengals. They’d rather lose the game and come out ahead on the hit meter.

They absolutely haven't decided it's up to the teams to police themselves. They've done the opposite.  If this exact play took place last week against the Packers, he gets flagged and probably fined. No suspension. The NFL is sending a message. 

Although I'm sure when Burfict doles out his next in a long line of cheap shots and dirty plays, it'll be justified by his fans as "payback." As if he did nothing to precipitate this in the first place. Last time around, it was "someone needed to show the Steelers that [we] weren't going to roll over anymore."  Sure. The guy's a white knight. 
Serious Q... what's the worst pre-Burfict cheap shot from a Bengal on a Steeler?  Like the the first couple you remember.  

Serious Q... what's the worst pre-Burfict cheap shot from a Bengal on a Steeler?  Like the the first couple you remember.  
I know where this is headed. I'm not interested in going through Kimo von Oelhoffen and Hines Ward for the 600th time. If you want to make the claim that Burfict is within his rights to clobber people in the head, twist ankles, or whatever else he does because he's avenging years of abuse suffered by the Bengals, go for it. 

I know where this is headed. I'm not interested in going through Kimo von Oelhoffen and Hines Ward for the 600th time. If you want to make the claim that Burfict is within his rights to clobber people in the head, twist ankles, or whatever else he does because he's avenging years of abuse suffered by the Bengals, go for it. 
I'm not arguing he's right or good.  I'm arguing that in the NFC North that's the price of doing business.  And Burfict is the only Bengal I can recall who understands that if you're not giving those back you've lost the game before it starts.  And that the only difference between Burfict and all those guys you love is the rings and the brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. Optics and the the "temperature in the room" should not have one single thing to do with meting out fair punishment.

Please stop all of you who want to even remotely thing that JuJu standing over someone, taunting if you will, is a reason for a suspension. Stop that nonsense this second for your sake as well as ours.
You do realize that in the letter the NFL sent to JuJu where they suspended him, they said the taunting was part of the reason for the suspension?  So please stop you who want to remotely think that JuJu standing over someone, definitely taunting, is NOT a reason for suspension; because the NFL has already said it is.  Stop that nonsense this second, for your sake, as well as, well er, just for your sake.

I'm not arguing he's right or good.  I'm arguing that in the NFC North that's the price of doing business.  And Burfict is the only Bengal I can recall who understands that if you're not giving those back you've lost the game before it starts.  And that the only difference between Burfict and all those guys you love is the rings and the brand.
Please. Take this noise to Jungle Fever or whatever the Bengals message board is. Burfict has been a dirty player his whole life. There's a reason he went undrafted.  Ask Matt Barkley what he thought about Burfict in high school if you want to hop in the Wayback Machine. 

Also, it's the AFC North. 

You do realize that in the letter the NFL sent to JuJu where they suspended him, they said the taunting was part of the reason for the suspension?  So please stop you who want to remotely think that JuJu standing over someone, definitely taunting, is NOT a reason for suspension; because the NFL has already said it is.  Stop that nonsense this second, for your sake, as well as, well er, just for your sake.
You missed the point

Absolutely ridiculous. Both Gronkowski and Iloka's plays were much more egregious. JuJu blocked Burfict square in the chest. His helmet slid up under Vontaze's helmet. You want to throw the crackback block flag, OK. I'm not even sure if it was a blindside block since he was squared to Vontaze, but OK. The taunting was unnecessary. Throw a flag there too. Fine. A suspension for that is absurd. He did not target the player's head and/or neck. The major impact was shoulder to chest, the rest was incidental.
Oh please.  JuJu and Iloka hits were both dirty as ####.  Stop being a homer.  1 game sounds right.

Gronk deserves at least 3.

Burfict is a bad man - as AB pronounced this was karma.  Still deserved a suspension - but IMO that suspension was worth it.  In many ways it is similar to the pitcher that retaliates AFTER the warning.  He knows he is getting tossed, but takes it for the team.  Juju took one for the team.  Burfict now will be even crazier and he is a multiple offender - so when (not if) he retaliates - it could be a forever ban.  

Oh please.  JuJu and Iloka hits were both dirty as ####.  Stop being a homer.  1 game sounds right.

Gronk deserves at least 3.
Not being a homer. I don't think JuJu or Iloka should have been suspended, I think they each "took one for the team" here. I do, however, think Iloka's hit was worse than JSS. He clearly targeted the head intentionally while Burfict got hit in the chest initially before JuJu's helmet came up under his chin. If you want to start suspending people for taunting, that's a different discussion. 

Agreed that Gronk should have been suspended multiple games. 10 times worse than either of the plays that resulted in suspensions last night. 

Please. Take this noise to Jungle Fever or whatever the Bengals message board is. Burfict has been a dirty player his whole life. There's a reason he went undrafted.  Ask Matt Barkley what he thought about Burfict in high school if you want to hop in the Wayback Machine. 

Also, it's the AFC North. 
Or James Harrison's girlfriend.  She's got some good stories too I hear.

You really believe those guys, Ward, Harrison, etc, are somehow better people than Burfict.  But they aren't.  If it wasn't for the Super Bowls they'd all be remembered for being despicable players.  Just like Burfict!  Players who didn't think twice about putting a helmet through a guy's chin even after we knew what that did to a guy's brain.

And for the record, I'd love for the NFL to throw the book at ALL of them and wipe this stuff out.

This isn’t baseball. 1 game is a huge deal whether it’s for reasons like Gronk or JuJu. Imagine how the Cowboys feel losing their best player for 6 games for trivial reasons at best.

Not being a homer. I don't think JuJu or Iloka should have been suspended, I think they each "took one for the team" here. I do, however, think Iloka's hit was worse than JSS. He clearly targeted the head intentionally while Burfict got hit in the chest initially before JuJu's helmet came up under his chin. If you want to start suspending people for taunting, that's a different discussion. 

Agreed that Gronk should have been suspended multiple games. 10 times worse than either of the plays that resulted in suspensions last night. 
So your stance is that Juju did not intend to hit Burfict in the head?

Or James Harrison's girlfriend.  She's got some good stories too I hear.

You really believe those guys, Ward, Harrison, etc, are somehow better people than Burfict.  But they aren't.  If it wasn't for the Super Bowls they'd all be remembered for being despicable players.  Just like Burfict!  Players who didn't think twice about putting a helmet through a guy's chin even after we knew what that did to a guy's brain.

And for the record, I'd love for the NFL to throw the book at ALL of them and wipe this stuff out.
Ward was never suspended or even ejected that I can recall. 

Harrison faced the wrath of Goodell for head shots when all this concussion concern was in its embryonic stage. I'm not defending him nor saying he's a "great guy." It's neither here nor there for the purposes of this discussion. Neither player is or was as cheap as Burfict. Burfict will go at the knees, the groin, the ankles, the head. He's a dirty player, everyone knows it, and his disciplinary record reflects it. 

If you believe that those guys are just as bad but have had their characters laundered by winning, that's your prerogative. Not sure what that's supposed to prove vis-a-vis Burfict or how its germane to this discussion though. 

So your stance is that Juju did not intend to hit Burfict in the head?
Yes. He led with his shoulder and hit him square in the chest. Iloka launched as well, but led with his head and targeted AB's helmet. If Burfict had popped right up after that block and Antonio had been carted off on that hit, it would be a very different narrative today. VERY different. 

The results shouldn't matter though, it's about intent. 

Traveled a little further down this road than I meant to, so will leave off by finding some common ground that Burfict is dirty.  Wasn't trying to suggest otherwise.

Juju deserved the suspension.

Lots of homers doing spin control.  LOL at the "intent" commentary.   Look at the way Juju acted after the play was over.

You guys need a reality check.

I agree with this, and I am a Chargers fan, so not a homer.

Juju deserved the suspension.

Lots of homers doing spin control.  LOL at the "intent" commentary.   Look at the way Juju acted after the play was over.

You guys need a reality check.
The intent commentary revolved around whether or not he meant to hit Burfict in the head. I don't believe he did. He was wrong to stand over him like he did and he deserved to be penalized. I just don't think it warranted a suspension equivalent to Gronkowski's. 

I don't think "intent" carries a lot of weight these days. It's the "look into his heart" argument. 

If there is a specific rule stating that what either (any, really) player is doing isn't ok, then crack down and stamp that behaviour out (as they did with the horsecollar).

In any case ejections are a judgement call n the heat of the moment, the suspensions come after a lot of film study.

Yes. He led with his shoulder and hit him square in the chest. Iloka launched as well, but led with his head and targeted AB's helmet. If Burfict had popped right up after that block and Antonio had been carted off on that hit, it would be a very different narrative today. VERY different. 

The results shouldn't matter though, it's about intent. 
JuJu may have gotten away with the hit had he not acted like an asswipe and stood over him like he did. He didn't even try to pass it off as anything other than revenge.  Seriously dumb move by the kid.  Like the Hines Ward mentality with the blocking. He should study Ward on tape and learn how to make it look like he's just a hard-nosed player. 

JuJu may have gotten away with the hit had he not acted like an asswipe and stood over him like he did. He didn't even try to pass it off as anything other than revenge.  Seriously dumb move by the kid.  Like the Hines Ward mentality with the blocking. He should study Ward on tape and learn how to make it look like he's just a hard-nosed player. 
He's only 21 and he's already an advanced blocker, route runner and doesn't really have a history of being an asswipe.  He'll learn from this.  Dude is going to be a stud.

If he didn't have helmet to helmet contact, Burfict wouldn't have been concussed, most likely. Schuster's helmet hits Burfict right in the face mask, with Schuster leaning in with his foot planted for leverage. 

Here's a similar play with Thomas Decoud blindside blocking on a Desean Jackson punt return at Cal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo9e2Jf7R0o

It wasn't flagged (the rules were different then), but both players were concussed. And, like Schuster's block, it wasn't necessary for it to be so violent; all either blocker needed to do was redirect the defender to spring their teammate; they already had the position they needed. If you're at all serious about protecting players, that kind of play should be illegal, should be fined, should result in suspension. 

(Trivia: The UCLA player was Korey Bosworth, nephew of The Boz).
I was 100% with you until the bolded. If a hit is legal it doesn't matter how violent it looks. Some of the worst looking hits (when not helmet to helmet) are typically not that big of a deal for the players. 

You may have seen Hines on the sideline Monday night.  Teachable moment.

You know that Schuster wasn't on the team in 2015, right?

The only problems here are consistency and equivalency.

Having Juju get suspended for 1 game while AJ Green wasn't suspended, and Crabtree and Talib were suspended for 1 game each, is just ridiculous. He performed a really hard block during the course of a play. He lead with his shoulder, and did end up making contact with Burfict's head. And he taunted after the play. But he didn't start a fight or hurt someone after the play had been over for several seconds (Gronk).

It just doesn't make sense that people fighting after a play is over get the same suspension as someone who blocked someone really hard. The NFL just needs to apply punishments that are appropriate for the deed. If Juju is suspended for 1 game for what he did, then Gronk should be out at least 2, and AJ, Crabtree, and Talib should be out at least 3. What they did is several levels of magnitude worse.  If the NFL was just consistent in its punishment, then we wouldn't have any argument about the suspension, it's the haphazard way that the NFL decides who to punish that vexes fans week after week.

Yeah, beating the snot out of a woman is trivial. LOL
Guessing you haven't read any articles about the situation. The NFL investigator found the victim to be untrustworthy and found correspondence between her and a friend with her saying she'd get back at him for dumping her and blackmail him. Prior to that she had no injuries, and after that she did. This lead the investigator to recommend no suspension because she didn't believe her version of events.

Could Zeke have beaten her? Yes, it's possible. But it wasn't proven and he wasn't charged.

The only problems here are consistency and equivalency.

Having Juju get suspended for 1 game while AJ Green wasn't suspended, and Crabtree and Talib were suspended for 1 game each, is just ridiculous. He performed a really hard block during the course of a play. He lead with his shoulder, and did end up making contact with Burfict's head. And he taunted after the play. But he didn't start a fight or hurt someone after the play had been over for several seconds (Gronk).

It just doesn't make sense that people fighting after a play is over get the same suspension as someone who blocked someone really hard. The NFL just needs to apply punishments that are appropriate for the deed. If Juju is suspended for 1 game for what he did, then Gronk should be out at least 2, and AJ, Crabtree, and Talib should be out at least 3. What they did is several levels of magnitude worse.  If the NFL was just consistent in its punishment, then we wouldn't have any argument about the suspension, it's the haphazard way that the NFL decides who to punish that vexes fans week after week.
People are trying to look at this in a vacuum. If JuJu did the same thing in a game against the Bears he might not even have gotten fined. But taken in the context of the war waging between the Bengals and Steelers, who received the hit, and the taunting escalates the situation. As I posted earlier, the league and the refs need to reign in the cheap shots, dirty plays, and violent hits between these teams before someone suffers a career ending injury. That's why he got suspended . . . and why actions by other players where there is no long standing feud got only one game (or fined) even if what they did might be viewed as a greater infraction.

If a Dodgers pitcher hits a Rays player in the head out of the blue, it might be a basic hit by pitch or a warning. If a Dodgers pitcher hits a Giants player in the head after three games with multiple cases of head hunting, brawls, and ejections . . . that's different. Very similar situation here.

I am fine with all the suspensions. The players need to learn not to try and hurt each other. It's just the direciton the game has to go. Of course 10 years ago, Hines Ward makes that same block and everyone praises him for it. The game needs to change though. As for Gronk, he should get more than a game though. At least what Juju and Iloka hit were during the play. Gronk attacked that guy totally outside of the play. It's no different if a boxer hit a guy in between rounds- he should be disqualified, suspended and I'm even ok with criminal charges/lawsuit if the injury caused is significant. 

He got the suspension because the hit was close enough, he stood over him, the imagery of Burfict being carried off, the nature of the rivalry that the players on those 2 teams have created.

Guarantee JuJu who was already one of the more popular guys from an outsiders view is a legend in the locker room now. 

Guessing you haven't read any articles about the situation. The NFL investigator found the victim to be untrustworthy and found correspondence between her and a friend with her saying she'd get back at him for dumping her and blackmail him. Prior to that she had no injuries, and after that she did. This lead the investigator to recommend no suspension because she didn't believe her version of events.

Could Zeke have beaten her? Yes, it's possible. But it wasn't proven and he wasn't charged.
The CBA does not set the trigger for discipline at "charged" or "proven". HTH

I am fine with all the suspensions. The players need to learn not to try and hurt each other. It's just the direciton the game has to go. Of course 10 years ago, Hines Ward makes that same block and everyone praises him for it. The game needs to change though. As for Gronk, he should get more than a game though. At least what Juju and Iloka hit were during the play. Gronk attacked that guy totally outside of the play. It's no different if a boxer hit a guy in between rounds- he should be disqualified, suspended and I'm even ok with criminal charges/lawsuit if the injury caused is significant. 
AJ Green attacked a player and threw him down and started punching him. In reality though he only did what is done on almost every play when he threw him down..then the punches were to his helmet and had zero impact. The player was still ready to fight Green after it was over and was good to go. Still should have been gone one game though.

What Gronk did was just plain stupid and he deserved a game.  With what was going on in that game Monday Night made Shusters hit look worse.  Plus the fact that he had so much time to line him up and then launch himself at the head of a defenseless  opposing player made the suspension easy. "According to the NFL Network"  If a DB or LB did the exact same thing to a WR away from the play the result would have been a suspension.  The NFL is not going to tolerate this anymore and you heard John Gruden on the replay say "This is ridiculous with all the education that players are still doing this" 

You know that Schuster wasn't on the team in 2015, right?
I honestly think the only ones talking/thinking about "revenge" and being all  :tinfoilhat: about these types of plays are people in online message boards. I think the player's couldn't care less. 

Revenge? Please. This is a job. Most of these guys don't even like playing football
People talking revenge as if this is a television show or something along those lines. I know sometimes the media builds these rivalries to be something of the equivalent of a man's soap opera, but realistically I think most players are just trying to put on a show and/or get their game check and move on. 

I honestly think the only ones talking/thinking about "revenge" and being all  :tinfoilhat: about these types of plays are people in online message boards. I think the player's couldn't care less. 

Revenge? Please. This is a job. Most of these guys don't even like playing football
People talking revenge as if this is a television show or something along those lines. I know sometimes the media builds these rivalries to be something of the equivalent of a man's soap opera, but realistically I think most players are just trying to put on a show and/or get their game check and move on. 
I think that statement it totally incorrect.  I played college hockey and even at that level revenge was talked about and was sweet however long it took.  Players never forget. You see it all the time in MLB as well.  Stuff carried over from the previous seasons.

Antonio Brown said "Karma" about the hit which is basically revenge and he had it coming. Bell probably took Shuster out to dinner. 

Users who are viewing this thread