What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ju Ju Shuster suspended for cheap shot. (1 Viewer)

Da Guru

Fair & Balanced
 Shuster should get at least 1 and maybe more.   Planting, then launching and targeting a defenseless players head is inexcusable in todays NFL.  Shuster had plenty of time to target the chest area. Given the time Shuster had this was one of the dirtiest hits I have seen in a long time.

We will see if the NFL is concerned about player safety with the length of suspension given.

Last edited by a moderator:
This topic is being debated in the JuJu thread, but he should get zero games.  If Gronk got one game for losing his cool and jumping on a guys head after the play was over for 3 seconds, JuJu should get fined and a zero game suspension for hitting a guy during the play.  "One of the dirtiest hits in a long time" - lol - no.

This topic is being debated in the JuJu thread, but he should get zero games.  If Gronk got one game for losing his cool and jumping on a guys head after the play was over for 3 seconds, JuJu should get fined and a zero game suspension for hitting a guy during the play.  "One of the dirtiest hits in a long time" - lol - no.
Well..not if you have been listening to pundits. 

Receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster‘s devastating blindside helmet-to-jaw hit on Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict puts Smith-Schuster in line to be the next NFL player suspended in a season that has featured more than a few of them. From Bears linebacker Danny Trevathan to Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch to Buccaneers receiver Mike Evans to Raiders receiver Michael Crabtree and Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib to Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski to probably another one or two that I’m forgetting because there have been so many of them this year, Smith-Schuster will be the next name added to the list.

I'm simply not seeing the outrage on this one.  He actually looks to be leading with his shoulder.  It's also not a peel-back block as I understand as he didn't go below the waist.  And I usually side with the idea that dirty hits should be penalized but not seeing it on this one. 

The taunting afterward was a bigger deal, IMO.

Schuster's was a certainly a violent crackback.. his first time and can be said in part that it was a part of a football play.. so a game maybe if any at all... Gronk's penalty (1 game) however is a total NFL sham IMO.. it was against a totally defenseless player on the ground "after the play" and a play like that can't even be considered as any sort of game action.. that goes way beyond what team or who the player is and if for no other reason than that it should have been considerably more.. I say this as a neutral fan, but I have to believe however stated that it (the penalty) was related to the game vs Pitt coming in 2 weeks and the league wanting to do their best to not give one team or the other any advantage.. I really believe from a football perspective Gronk's move crossed a much worse line. let me add though Schuster's actions of standing over Burfict like he did could and probably should warrant additional discipline.

If Gronk got one game Shuster should get at least 2 and maybe more.   Planting, then launching and targeting a defenseless players head is inexcusable in todays NFL.  Shuster had plenty of time to target the chest area. Given the time Shuster had this was one of the dirtiest hits I have seen in a long time.

We will see if the NFL is concerned about player safety with the length of suspension given.
You must be a pats fan. Gronks play was much dirtier. After the play, he's twice as big as the other guy and it wasn't against Burfict.

You must be a pats fan. Gronks play was much dirtier. After the play, he's twice as big as the other guy and it wasn't against Burfict.
Not only that but Gronk's ire was more with the refs not with the player.  The player wasn't trying to injure him.  THAT's the part that bothers me the most about Gronk's play. 

I just don't understand why every Patriots fan has to act this way.
It's a classic move that little kids will play; trying to play the victim card. "Well if I got _____ then they should get ____." It's a lot of behavior like this that gives Patriot fans a bad name. 

This play and Gronk's play is like comparing apples to giraffes. Not even close. 

Not only that but Gronk's ire was more with the refs not with the player.  The player wasn't trying to injure him.  THAT's the part that bothers me the most about Gronk's play. 
Correct. You can argue that Gronk was intentionally trying to injure White. I mean, he took several steps, eyed him down the whole time and lunged at him with all of his weight, hitting him in the back of the head. If you can't see that as intentionally trying to injure someone, there's a problem.

Juju on the other hand is a rookie with no history of this type of behavior. It was a block on a football play. Was the block illegal? That seems to be debatable. But the taunting after the fact was the most concerning issue. But I even understand that. A WR of Juju's size lays out the enforcer on the opposing defense who has had a long history of dirty plays. I completely understand him being amped up and doing what he did after. Is it okay? No. But can you relate to it? Sure. He was taken away from the play by his teammate pretty quickly and without incident and appeared to realize he screwed up. I don't see this as a suspension by any means.

The OP seems to be one of the numerous Patriots fans that somehow believe that Gronk shouldn't be suspended. I've seen dozens of people saying that what he did was justifiable because he was being held and interfered with. Hell, even one of the Patriots own broadcasters said so ON THE AIR. There is no class in New England. Never has been, never will be. 

If Gronk got one game Shuster should get at least 2 and maybe more.   Planting, then launching and targeting a defenseless players head is inexcusable in todays NFL.  Shuster had plenty of time to target the chest area. Given the time Shuster had this was one of the dirtiest hits I have seen in a long time.

There was a football play to be made, the play was not done and over as in Gronk's case. Also, arguably, Burfict could have potentially seen it coming as the play was in front of him, while Gronk's hit was from behind.  Given those matters I would in no way equate the two, or argue that Ju Ju's was worse, and frankly I suspect, or hope that this is just stinky bait, for if not, you have lost it.  That said one game, see Trevathan hit on Adams.

at least 2 and maybe more? :lol:

I could see 1 game but probably will be a fine only.

It's a classic move that little kids will play; trying to play the victim card. "Well if I got _____ then they should get ____." It's a lot of behavior like this that gives Patriot fans a bad name. 

This play and Gronk's play is like comparing apples to giraffes. Not even close. 
we've got to keep that in perspective.. every fan base has it's ignorance.. that's just how it works.. much of thier's IMO stemns from the success of a generation.. a historically bad franchise that for years historically won absolutely nothing then suddenly lots of success leading to the "we're the greatest and most intelligent fans that exist" - "my guys do no wrong" syndrome.. to some level though there is this a percentage of fan that handle themselves this way for most every team in sport. Either way the fact remains that anyone, in any way shape or form, that tries to defend Gronk's actions Sunday seriously bumped their head and doesn't understand what he could have done to that player doing what he did. As someone who's played and coached the game it was wrong at every level.

Should get a game at least. Wonder what would have happened had he not stood over Burfict afterwards. 

Maybe I'll get flamed for this, but watching the hit, seemed ok to me -- like a shoulder-to-upper-chest hit to me, and JuJu seemed to be coming from a line of sight (as opposed to from behind or another position where Burfict may not have seen him).. Burfict wasn't defenseless, he just wasn't looking to his left.

Well..not if you have been listening to pundits. 

Receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster‘s devastating blindside helmet-to-jaw hit on Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict puts Smith-Schuster in line to be the next NFL player suspended in a season that has featured more than a few of them. From Bears linebacker Danny Trevathan to Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch to Buccaneers receiver Mike Evans to Raiders receiver Michael Crabtree and Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib to Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski to probably another one or two that I’m forgetting because there have been so many of them this year, Smith-Schuster will be the next name added to the list.
All but Trevathan were flagrant non-football plays.  Trevathan got screwed, if that wasn't the Packers on prime time it would never have happened.  If Alonso didn't get suspended neither will JJSS

The reason I posted this is that the last 30 minute segment  on The Ticket in Detroit (Not Cinci or Pitt) was on Shuster and NFL player safety and how many games should he get.

1 game suspension for the hit and taunting. 
I'm not sure I agree. He didn't seem to lead with his head, and I don't think he was aware the guy was hurt as he was taunting. 

Does the hit itself constitute a suspension? I don't think so, but that's my opinion. 

Should taunting be a suspension in itself? No. Does the fact that he taunting over a hurt player make it worse? Maybe. But good luck proving JuJu knew he was hurt.

It was on national television so it looks worse than if it was just a Sunday noon game, so he will probably get a game. 

I do not believe that hit was malicious/intentional. He should just get a fine. 

JuJu should get 3 games PLUS take's Gronk's suspension cause Gronk was only frustrated.  Everyone knows it is okay to hit a defenseless player laying on the ground out of bounds after the play when you are frustrated.

One game, but the rest of the league will probably donate money to him to make up for his game check. That thug has spent his entire career trying to injure opponents. I wish Shuster was 50 pounds heavier. 

I think it will be one game and I think Iloka will get one game too. After witnessing the Gronk thread it’s what the fans want. The NFL has created a culture where the viewership expects suspensions and not the talent they actually watch the sport for on the field. Considering Burfict still tried to get out of the locker room to go play this whole mentallity of “well players should police themselves”,  “the game needs to be made safer” or “you can’t do that in today’s game”... players are still going to do it, the game didn’t stop when Shazier looked like he tackled himself in half and any #####ing that was done at the end of the game was more a consequence of winning/losing than the destructive hits that were taking place. Like I said though, let’s all root for suspensions every time a pin drops. It’ll increase player safety. :not:

I think the league needs to start making a concerted effort to better control the CIN / PIT games. The last few years have seen a lot of questionable or dirty hits with players getting hurt and the chance of serious injury. IMO, that's why I think there will be a suspension (as a message that player's can't just tee off on people).

Has to be suspended at least one.  He may get 2 and Iloka gets 1.  The NFL has to take a stance on these Bengals/Steelers games or someone is going to get killed.  

Agreed.  Launched mostly with his head.

Its something the league simply wants to remove from the game and rightfully so.
He did not launch with his head. In fact, he turns his head down and away and leads with his shoulder. If not for being a blindsided hit, it's a textbook block. Pause it at :07 in link above and clearly drives his shoulder into him while his head is out of the way.

JuJu jersey sales will be through the roof this holiday season.

One or zero IMHO. It was a football play. You cannot equate it to Gronk’s rage trigger, premeditated cheap shot, after the play was over, to a guy in the ground & from behind - that’s as dirty as it gets.

The taunting could be one game, but personally I think two large fines is appropriate.

Agreed they need to do something about these Bengals-Steelers games. It’s so out of control & dangerous. On that basis I would be OK with making JuJu the scapegoat.

This is the silliest ####### thread. Dude led with his shoulder and connected with Burfict's chest. You can even see Schuster crane his neck to attempt to avoid helmet-to-helmet contact. He was unable to do so, however, which is considered inadvertent contact. 

Schuster will be fined for taunting and that's it. 

The video doesn't lie. 

Needs a game and Tomlin (and BB) should get a game as well.  And Iloka should have been thrown out.  That looked like a payback hit to me.  If the coaches can't get their players in line, it's time to start giving them games, too.  That was pure ugly last night.  To be fair, I think Burfict got some comeuppance for the way he plays, but it should never get to that point.

Almost the same hit Golden Tate laid on Sean Lee five years ago. No penalty, ejection, or suspension - $21K fine. Things have changed for the better. CTE is for real and they need to protect the players.

Needs a game and Tomlin (and BB) should get a game as well.  And Iloka should have been thrown out.  That looked like a payback hit to me.  If the coaches can't get their players in line, it's time to start giving them games, too.  That was pure ugly last night.  To be fair, I think Burfict got some comeuppance for the way he plays, but it should never get to that point.
That's ridiculous. You can't possibly give Tomlin a game without first giving Marvin Lewis a game. How many Steelers did Burfict injure or attempt to injure?  

That's ridiculous. You can't possibly give Tomlin a game without first giving Marvin Lewis a game. How many Steelers did Burfict injure or attempt to injure?  
Lewis should have gotten a game a long time ago for Burfict.  It's not going to happen with Tomlin, but it's long past time that HCs need to start being more accountable for their players. 

JuJu jersey sales will be through the roof this holiday season.

One or zero IMHO. It was a football play. You cannot equate it to Gronk’s rage trigger, premeditated cheap shot, after the play was over, to a guy in the ground & from behind - that’s as dirty as it gets.

The taunting could be one game, but personally I think two large fines is appropriate.

Agreed they need to do something about these Bengals-Steelers games. It’s so out of control & dangerous. On that basis I would be OK with making JuJu the scapegoat.
100% agree, especially the last part about the escapegoat.

FBG’s: The NFL should dictate all safety to players and be proactive about discipline. Referees should control games and players and coaches should be suspended.

Also FBG’s: Roger Goodell is corrupt. His policies have no rhyme or reason and often it just leads to the best players not being on the field for trivial reasons. Also the refs are clueless and don’t even know what a penalty is let alone a catch.

Both this thread and the Gronk thread are equally asinine in my eyes and it has nothing to do with hits or plays being any form of similar.

Has to be suspended at least one.  He may get 2 and Iloka gets 1.  The NFL has to take a stance on these Bengals/Steelers games or someone is going to get killed.  
I'm curious as to why you think Schuster should get a 2 game suspension and Iloka should get 1.  Do you think the hit on Burfict was worse than the one on AB or is it because of the taunting?

One game

JuJu Smith-Schuster & George Iloka have each been suspended 1 game for violations of player safety rules.

If this was Steelers vs Falcons, does that change your stance? 

Why should the opponent matter? Do we have a different set of rules/consequences for rivalry games? It's okay to light up a guy if it's not a rivalry, but if it's a rivalry you will be suspended? Is it okay to have separate rules for separate game scenarios? 

If it were just the hit, a fine. The Ali over Liston stance afterwards gets him a game imo.
Should we suspend all players for taunting? 

This is the silliest ####### thread. Dude led with his shoulder and connected with Burfict's chest. You can even see Schuster crane his neck to attempt to avoid helmet-to-helmet contact. He was unable to do so, however, which is considered inadvertent contact. 

Schuster will be fined for taunting and that's it. 

The video doesn't lie. 
:goodposting:

I definitely don't see him "launching himself head first," which is what has been described in this thread. He lead with his shoulder. It's a great crack back. What WRs live for. I can't blame him for being pumped and taunting a little. He should be fined

Compare JuJu's hit with Danny Trevathain, who was suspended 1 game earlier this season. Are these hits the same? 

Users who are viewing this thread