What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Laser Christmas lights? (1 Viewer)

GregR

Footballguy
Have seen commercials for laser light shows that you can project on your house at Xmas.  Never seen one in person. Do they look good? Or are they something more likely to make your neighbors hate you more than they already do?

I'm a single dude. No tree. No lights. And I think decorating your entire front yard with lights is dumb. Really dumb. If you decorate your entire front yard with light-up snowmen it also tells me that your spouse is probably cheating on you despite the fact that you probably shop at both Kay Jewelers and Jared on a regular basis. That's my point of view.

That being said.. I drove into my sister's little suburban area to pick her up for dinner the other night and saw an example of exactly what you are talking about. The lasers were broadcast on the house, among their other typical Christmas lights and decorations, and it was a good addition. It gave depth and movement to the entire project, and it showed what I can only describe as old fashioned gumption - and the desire for consistent improvement. I had to stop the car and take it all in. The feeling I had lasted about 30 seconds.

You've really never seen them? Every other house in my neighborhood seems to have them.
Nah, my neighborhood doesn't have as many families with kids as most.  Don't see a lot of decorating.  I used to but finally stopped bothering years ago.  I think I've noticed 2 houses out of about 30 with decorations so far.

I love light show type stuff, have more of an aurora projector I tend to use in the evenings indoors as I don't like my rooms lit much unless I'm reading.  But this didn't seem like something a lot of people would enjoy seeing outside of a house.

Last edited by a moderator:
My neighbors have lasers onto a tree and it looks pretty good.  Much better than onto face of house IMO 

They look horrible and are the definition of laziness if you don't have any other lights up.  But as Chainsaw said, if a house has a lot of regular outdoor lights, then it looks okay.

Awful...save the laser shows for planetariums on Pink Floyd nights. 

Christmas decorating has gotten disgustingly cheesy over the last few years. Blow-ups scattered aimlessly around your lawn, every light blinking at a different cadence and color. Houses look like Santa vomited on their lawn now. Yea, call me a Scrooge, but just because Home Depot sells it, doesn't mean you have to buy it.

Need to go back to simple trim lighting, evergreen garland, candles in the window and red bows.  When in doubt, see a Normal Rockwell or Thomas Kinkade painting. 

I'm in the minority here but I like them.  I don't find that people that normally use nice xmas lights use them--rather many people who would have done nothing at all bite the bullet and use them because they are very easy to install.  Our neighborhood is a lot more lite up than it used to be for this very reason and I think that's cool.   I live in a neighborhood with lots of mature trees and the laser lights actually look very nice when pointed towards them.  

I want one that can start as Christmas themed, then with a turn of a dial flip to football/CFP/Super Bowl, then Valentines, then St Pats Day, then MLB Opening Day, then Mother’s Day, then Memorial Day camo, then Father’s Day, then Stars and Stipes, then Back to School, then Labor Day, then Halloween, then Thanksgiving.

Terrible. Or great if you have lots of rusted out late 1970s muscle cars parked on your front lawn. Either way. 

I used to hate them, think they were crappy and trashy - but feel they make a nice accent to the lights.

I used to light my trees in the front but they've grown too big so now I go with these

So YES I'VE EMBRACED the awesomeness that is them

Don't care

https://imgur.com/a/tUzI4

eta: Still picture doesn't do justice.   They move around the house in "random" patterns.  Nice accent

ChainsawU said:
I'm a single dude. No tree. No lights. And I think decorating your entire front yard with lights is dumb. Really dumb. If you decorate your entire front yard with light-up snowmen it also tells me that your spouse is probably cheating on you despite the fact that you probably shop at both Kay Jewelers and Jared on a regular basis. That's my point of view.

That being said.. I drove into my sister's little suburban area to pick her up for dinner the other night and saw an example of exactly what you are talking about. The lasers were broadcast on the house, among their other typical Christmas lights and decorations, and it was a good addition. It gave depth and movement to the entire project, and it showed what I can only describe as old fashioned gumption - and the desire for consistent improvement. I had to stop the car and take it all in. The feeling I had lasted about 30 seconds.
I like this, I hate them as a replacement for lights but they suppliment and accent lights in a cool way

I started seeing China offer these in 2014 (I think) and they looked like absolute crap.
The quality of construction and the output have gotten much better.
Like bitcoin, another entry to something I should have jumped on.

I think they're neat looking.  Saw a bunch of ones for halloween this year.  There was definitely a difference in quality from house to house though so make sure you check out reviews on whatever you pick.

Otis said:
Terrible. Or great if you have lots of rusted out late 1970s muscle cars parked on your front lawn that Otis will probably buy as his next mid-life crisis. Either way. 

Fixed.

I member when it wasn't Christmas until half the neighborhood had fallen out of a tree or off the roof of the house. 

This is worse than the guy on the street that bought all the inflatable offerings at Lowe's and put them in his yard.

glvsav37 said:

Christmas decorating has gotten disgustingly cheesy over the last few years. Blow-ups scattered aimlessly around your lawn, every light blinking at a different cadence and color. Houses look like Santa vomited on their lawn now. Yea, call me a Scrooge, but just because Home Depot sells it, doesn't mean you have to buy it.

Need to go back to simple trim lighting, evergreen garland, candles in the window and red bows.  When in doubt, see a Normal Rockwell or Thomas Kinkade painting. 
Decorating the house for Christmas is about creating a festive atmosphere for kids. I'm more focused on making my kids smile than I am about having the classiest decorations in the neighborhood. 

https://youtu.be/W0dQoEdK-bY?t=11s

Star Shower Window Wonderland

This seems better.  The reviewers said it's not as bright as the commercial makes them, but the concept seems better.
$20 on Amazon.  I'm tempted, the kids would love this.  The zombie clip would be great for Halloween, too.  

Reviews are horrible, but one I read said you just need to focus the image and that the other reviewers were morons.

I think they look pretty cool if they are multicolor and pointed into the trees.  That's about it.  The ones that are just green and red and thrown up on the house scream lazy.

They're good for projecting onto a garage door. Sure, it's lazy. But they beat having to climb up & down ladders putting up lights for an hour.

We don't put up lights ourselves, I'm really just not into it, but I'm happy other people do.  Actually, anything that keeps people from OD-ing on drugs, cheating on each other, drinking and driving, stealing, perverting or killing other people, I'm all for.  The more distractions, the better.  Rock on! ;)

glvsav37 said:

I have my laser light show projected onto my house synchronized with my Pink Floyd Christmas album.

Brony said:
The red dots on a house makes it looks like the house has measles. 
I came in here to post exactly this.... the "dots" projected onto the house ... any color...

I say out loud to myself ..."oh, look .... that poor house has the measles." every time I drive by one.

I only have an inflatable Grinch. I pointed him in the direction of the house across the street that has these. 

My neighbor across the street put up a laser show last year. Couldn't even walk through our living room without being distracted by the "show" outside. Ruined Christmas for us.

So this year we bought four outdoor amplifiers that could power a decently sized ACDC concert and blast Thunderstruck right at his house 24/7. 

My neighbor across the street put up a laser show last year. Couldn't even walk through our living room without being distracted by the "show" outside. Ruined Christmas for us.

So this year we bought four outdoor amplifiers that could power a decently sized ACDC concert and blast Thunderstruck right at his house 24/7. 
I know this is crazy, but maybe just talk to him? 

I know this is crazy, but maybe just talk to him? 
What for? I'm no longer a christian, so he can't ruin Christmas for me anymore since I no longer celebrate it. We celebrate Thor now during the holidays, and our setup is one of the best tributes to Thor in the neighborhood.

All is well. 

I'm not a fan of these things. A few houses in my neighborhood have them.

EXCEPTION: A relative actually gave me one as a gift last year. My children use it indoors for disco parties. For that, they are excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread