What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (1 Viewer)

That's win #3 for Baker as Rookie of the Week!

Looking forward to watch Baker "cut it loose" this week after Williams' pep talk during practice.  Just one week with Gregg and Freddie, and suddenly the offense came alive and Duke makes an immediate impact out of thin air vs KC.  I expect Baker to have some more fun this week vs a poruous ATL pass defense.  Keep Duke and Chubb in the mix, with some Landry and Higgins and Baker will put some points on the board.  They may not win the game, but they'll start to show the potential many Browns fans have been hoping for this year.

Since Kitchens has taken over for Todd Haley as the Browns OC....

-- Mayfield completed 73.9 percent of his passes for 8.8 yards per pass with nine touchdowns, one interception, and only two sacks. He has 409 DYAR in those three weeks, second only to Drew Brees. This weekend, he was nearly perfect on Cincinnati's side of the field, going 12-of-13 for 154 yards and eight first downs, including four touchdowns.

The all-time NFL TD record for a rookie QB is 26 and is shared with Russell Wilson and Peyton Manning.

Baker has 17 and he sat out the first couple of games.  He is within striking distance of the all-time rookie TD record.

Mayfield has had a phenomenal rookie season so-far and might have one of if not thee best by the time this season is in the books.

Since Kitchens has taken over for Todd Haley as the Browns OC....

-- Mayfield completed 73.9 percent of his passes for 8.8 yards per pass with nine touchdowns, one interception, and only two sacks. He has 409 DYAR in those three weeks, second only to Drew Brees. This weekend, he was nearly perfect on Cincinnati's side of the field, going 12-of-13 for 154 yards and eight first downs, including four touchdowns.

The all-time NFL TD record for a rookie QB is 26 and is shared with Russell Wilson and Peyton Manning.

Baker has 17 and he sat out the first couple of games.  He is within striking distance of the all-time rookie TD record.

Mayfield has had a phenomenal rookie season so-far and might have one of if not thee best by the time this season is in the books.
That should firmly place Haley on Jeff Fisher's couch. He should not be allowed near an NFL offense. I knew he sucked when they didn't throw to the RBs. You want to be a top O, you have to be able to do that.

That should firmly place Haley on Jeff Fisher's couch. He should not be allowed near an NFL offense. I knew he sucked when they didn't throw to the RBs. You want to be a top O, you have to be able to do that.
Offenses needs to evolve and adapt with the NFL rule changes and the Offensive coordinators that fail/refuse to do so are the ones that will find themselves in the unemployment line.

Have to give credit to what Kitchens has done.  He wasn't hired as an OC he was a replacement meaning he did not get to install his offense and/or get his guys to run it he took over an offense that was already installed with guys he did not have any say in acquiring and he has 'improved' everything.

Really good read with lots of examples of what Kitchens has done every game that he's been OC.

How new offensive coordinator Freddie Kitchens became the Browns' MVP

...When Kitchens was promoted following the Browns’ Black Monday–when head coach Hue Jackson and offensive coordinator Todd Haley were fired on October 29–it was imagined as yet another uninspiring move from a franchise that has had plenty of them since re-entering the NFL in 1999. But what Kitchens has done to invigorate Cleveland’s offense has few modern precedents. For a coordinator to come in mid-season, install his schemes, and see a massive uptick in efficiency and productivity?

That doesn’t generally happen. But it certainly has in Cleveland.

...the difference in rookie quarterback Baker Mayfield’s play under Kitchens has been jaw-dropping. Under Jackson and Haley, Mayfield threw eight touchdown passes to six interceptions. Under Kitchens, he’s thrown nine touchdown passes to just one pick. Moreover, as former NFL offensive lineman and SB Nation contributor Geoff Schwartz points out, the Browns have had 10 red zone opportunities in their last three games, and they’ve converted them all… with touchdowns. And per Football Outsiders’ opponent-adjusted efficiency metrics, only Drew Brees has been more valuable on a play-to-play basis than Mayfield since Kitchens took over.

Again, this just doesn’t happen. But it’s happening with the Browns, and Kitchens is the primary reason.

...Kitchens’ presence is truly remarkable—when you watch what the Browns’ offense has become in the last three games, you see a truly multiple offense in which concepts from many different masters are used in a highly effective fashion. And when you see how some NFL offenses feature the same staid concepts over and over, it makes what Kitchens has done all the more refreshing.

...an offense that’s humming far beyond what anybody expected, the Browns are more than an interesting novelty–now, they’re must-see TV for anyone who loves to see creative offensive play-calling.

Whatever happens with Kitchens in the future–whether he stays with the Browns or winds up somewhere else in an off-season coaches’ coup–he’s proven to be one of the best in the business at what he does.

PatMcManamon‏Verified account @PatMcManamon

Baker Mayfield's 351 yards in the second half were the most passing yards by a Browns quarterback in a half since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, per Elias

I honestly think come draft time, he goes #1 to the Browns.

Darnold ahs started trending back upwards, but think he did a lot of damage to his rep this season. Will definitely be interesting

I'm sorry, but the 100% won't happen, it just won't. A sub 6' QB with a ten cent head won't go one.

From everything I've heard it's a mortal lock that Darnold, Rosen, and Allen go ahead of him.

Needs a dynamic playmaker that can stretch the field next year. 
Callaway can develop into that possibly but i agree he needs help. Mayfield isat a level that he can make guys better around him. Glad I own him. 

Callaway can develop into that possibly but i agree he needs help. Mayfield isat a level that he can make guys better around him. Glad I own him. 
Front office hopefully wont repeat the mistake of trusting someone that cant be trusted. That's what they did with Gordon and how they ended up putting too much on Callaway's plate. Callaway's talent is undeniable. But unfortunately so is how much trust you can put in him. 

callaway is now in a good spot.

landry starting to get the targets he needs, chubb is crushing the run and to some degree, the pass game.

njoku will get better and better.

that change in coaching staff was immense for this club and for baker

Mahomes, Goff, Wentz are the only 3 worth considering, maybe Luck. The rest of the best guys are nearing the end of their careers.
I would take Baker over Wentz.  Mahomes and Goff are tough calls.  The question I ask myself is this, "If you put Baker in their roles, with the same talent they have around them right now, would Baker perform better than said QB?" I think Mahomes is just above Baker, but there are times where I think Baker could be better than Goff.  His pre-snap reads, improv/manipulations, and escapability are better than Goff, IMO.

What are you guys doing with Baker this week?  Anyone starting him in Denver?  I know Denver d is down 2 starters in the secondary but that front 7 is scary good.  

What are you guys doing with Baker this week?  Anyone starting him in Denver?  I know Denver d is down 2 starters in the secondary but that front 7 is scary good.  
The Browns' oline performed well vs Houston's pass rush - 0 sacks given to Watt and Clowney.  I expect them to be able to handle Denver's pass rush just as well.  The DEN secondary is a mess.  I think Baker's quick delivery and high speed passes will help him have a great game.  This Denver team just gave up over 330 yards to Nick Mullens and the 49ers.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Baker hang over 400yds on them with 2-3 TDs.  With Max Protect in play for CLE, I think Baker will pick apart DEN all night.

Plus it's in prime time on a Saturday Night - only game on TV.  That is Baker's type of environment.  I think he will have a break out game and shine very brightly in DEN on Saturday.

I’m strongly considering playing Baker over Rodgers.  Don’t love either matchup really but going against the Bears defense in Chicago right now seems particularly soul crushing.

#noragrets

What about your boy, Kirk Cousins? 
No way. I own Mayfield and Wentz in FF. Had Cousins at one time. Cousins is what he is but he's better than what WASH has. They would certainly be better off right now if they had him. Now they have to hope to hit on a rookie QB.

Take another look at the deep ball to Perryman wasn't the first read.  Perryman said Baker read the coverage and threw it to him.  Perryman Pro Day. WRBRESHAD PERRIMAN (PRO DAY RESULTS 40-yard dash: 4.24 and 4.27 seconds)  The 54.7 air yards are the longest for any QB this year.  Good to have a QB with a strong arm paired with an uber-fast WR.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next Gen Stats‏Verified account @NextGenStats

Baker Mayfield's 66-yard pass to Breshad Perriman is now the deepest completion of the season by air yards (54.7) and 2nd-longest by air distance (63.8). #CARvsCLE #Browns

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take a look at the INCREDIBLE TD pass to Jarvis Landry. odds of completion only 15% where Landry only had .6 yards separation from two defenders.

The three most improbable catches of the week, Baker to Landry is second shown here.    3 most improbable catches

And since Freddy Kitchens has taken over as offensive coordinator Baker leads all NFL QBs in throws over 20 yards.

https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1072998420674097153

Next Gen Stats‏Verified account @NextGenStats

Baker Mayfield leads all quarterbacks with 12 deep completions (20+ air yards) since Freddie Kitchens took over @Browns play-calling responsibilities in Week 9.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018 NFL All-Rookie Team, offense:   ... Since Kitchens took over play-calling duties early last month, Mayfield has completed 71.8 percent of his passes at 8.92 yards per attempt for a sterling passer rating of 111.8 -- numbers that rival those of darkhorse MVP candidates Jared Goff and Philip Rivers this season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's getting better and better every week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now imagine a full year including preseason & training camp. Those stats are sick.
Don't forget it will be with a HC and OC that aren't bickering and will actually work with him to create sound game plans and support!   :thumbup:

Sebowski said:
Unless they make your avatar the HC... 
C'mon now, Greggggg's the man!

He wins out, he makes a strong case for the position. I like the guy, not sure I like the guy as HC but he & Freddy Kitchens aren't hurting their stock with what they are doing with Browns right now.

C'mon now, Greggggg's the man!

He wins out, he makes a strong case for the position. I like the guy, not sure I like the guy as HC but he & Freddy Kitchens aren't hurting their stock with what they are doing with Browns right now.
Don't know about the HC but I know the OC should be Kitchens.

Here's one more stat since Freddy Kitchens has taken over as the Browns offensive coordinator.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25518645/nfl-rookie-quarterback-progress-reports-2018-draft-picks-shown-far

...Mayfield has dominated in the red zone. Over the past five games, the 2017 Heisman Trophy winner has gone 11-of-13 in the red zone for 120 yards with nine touchdown passes. His passer rating of 144.7 on those throws is the best in football by more than 11 points. 

...In the past five games, the Browns have made 14 trips to the red zone and scored 14 touchdowns. I don't need to tell you that's the best rate in football. Under Haley, they had converted 58.2 percent of their red zone trips into touchdowns, which was 18th in the league.

...To put this in context, Mayfield has just completed what might be the best five-game stretch of play for any Browns quarterback since 1960. Mayfield's 114.5 passer rating since Kitchens took over has been the best over a stretch of five consecutive games with 100 pass attempts or more for a Cleveland quarterback since Milt Plum posted a 115.6 mark over a five-game stretch 58 years ago.

If you prefer adjusted yards per attempt, Mayfield has just finished the seventh-best five-game stretch in a season for a quarterback in Browns history and the best since Brian Sipe in 1978, some 40 years ago. That list includes Sipe, two seasons from Plum, Frank Ryan and the legendary Otto Graham. Nobody is a sure thing as a rookie, but Mayfield is playing better than any Browns quarterback in generations.
Kitchens.

I can't believe the amazing, astounding, incredible difference he's made and how much better Baker has been since Haley was fired.

Last year the Browns Redzone scoring was 2nd worst in the league.  Haley was only in the fifties and Kitchens is at 100% since he took over.

Kitchens has to stay.  I don't like shotgun marriages of new head coaches to existing coordinators but in this case we HAVE to keep Freddy Kitchens.  

Kitchens is to Haley as McVay is to Fisher. Further proof that there are a lot of dumb people coaching in the NFL and if you can figure it out and get rid of the problem, you can elevate the team. Neither Haley nor Fisher should ever be allowed near an NFL team.

Kitchens has to stay.  I don't like shotgun marriages of new head coaches to existing coordinators but in this case we HAVE to keep Freddy Kitchens.  
And that's what worries me, that we are setting up the same situation we just got out of. I don't know how Kitchens & Williams interact but the results are pretty stark compared to a pair that didn't get along. If you bail on Williams, hire a new HC and tell him 'you have carte blanch EXCEPT for arguably the most important assistant position on your staff' I'm not sure how many guys embrace that.

And that's what worries me, that we are setting up the same situation we just got out of. I don't know how Kitchens & Williams interact but the results are pretty stark compared to a pair that didn't get along. If you bail on Williams, hire a new HC and tell him 'you have carte blanch EXCEPT for arguably the most important assistant position on your staff' I'm not sure how many guys embrace that.
I understand but we didn't know how poor the relationship was between Hue and Haley until they both got kicked out the door.

The thing we can see is what we all knew about Hue as a HC, he sucked and never should have gotten a third chance but the blessing is we never would have had Kitchens fall into our lap.

The other things we can see is the glaring difference Freddy Kitchens had over Haley on the offense and the even keeled, no pretense demeanor of G. Will and the discipline he brings that was lacking under Hue BUUUUUUUUUUUT....

Check out the yards allowed under Greg Williams this year.  Its turrible.  I mean gawdawful.  We've lived by the turnover and that is very-difficult to maintain and they have dropped off considerably after Denzel Ward got injured.

I'm glad he's doing good and am open to him as HC but he's actually not even a good DC based on the points and yards.

I have complete faith in Dorsey at this point so whatever he decides is OK by me but we've got to keep Kitchens.  We have to.

Fans are having these conversations.  Knowing how simple minded Jimmy is I'd be surprised if he's not.  But I'm not worried about this being on Dorsey's mind.  Or at least this, specifically.  Hire the best head coach candidate.  Then allow him to bring in the assistants he believes will support him best.  Offer an opinion on potential additions you have experience with?  Sure, but an arranged marriage? Absolutely not.  That's certainly been a staple of Jimmy, but absolutely nothing Dorsey has done leads me to believe he would do such a thing.  Put people in position to do their job well and evaluate accordingly.  It'd be stupid of him to force Kitchens on the next guy, but he isn't going to do it in the first place.  It's all just Monday-Friday sports talk filler best left ignored.

Trying not to derail the Baker thread into a Browns HC thread, but I'm really warming up to the Arians HC, Kitchens OC, and Williams DC combo right now.  Brings in a smart, creative HC that is familiar and wants to work with Kitchens as OC.  The plan reeks of, dare I say, continuity among the coaching staff.  If Williams and Kitchens wins out, I don't see how you shake up this combo.  They will have gained the team's trust, specifically Baker - who already has created a great relationship with both coaches.

I understand but we didn't know how poor the relationship was between Hue and Haley until they both got kicked out the door.

The thing we can see is what we all knew about Hue as a HC, he sucked and never should have gotten a third chance but the blessing is we never would have had Kitchens fall into our lap.

The other things we can see is the glaring difference Freddy Kitchens had over Haley on the offense and the even keeled, no pretense demeanor of G. Will and the discipline he brings that was lacking under Hue BUUUUUUUUUUUT....

Check out the yards allowed under Greg Williams this year.  Its turrible.  I mean gawdawful.  We've lived by the turnover and that is very-difficult to maintain and they have dropped off considerably after Denzel Ward got injured.

I'm glad he's doing good and am open to him as HC but he's actually not even a good DC based on the points and yards.

I have complete faith in Dorsey at this point so whatever he decides is OK by me but we've got to keep Kitchens.  We have to.
All great points as always and I agree across the board especially the bolded. I think our defense is still a few players away, so is the offense but a great QB helps cover a lot of that up. We need another DL to offset Myles, probably need another CB and can sure use another LB. Not excuses for the performance and with a unit that was supposed to be the strength of the team, the D has been a disappoint for sure. I posted on twitter last week about the 20 yard gap in the middle of our defense that has become the norm the last few games. Until we stop the stuff over the middle and the runs that get to the second level only to find we have no one at the second level so they gain 10-15 yards a pop it's going to look miserable. The only bright spot is in the redzone they collapse the field and have held very nicely, giving up 3 instead of 7.

All that said, I'm along for wherever the ride takes us this year and am just enjoying winning again and watching our team have fun. Still plenty of room to get better but I think we're all confident we have the right guy in the front office so which ever direction he goes, I'm good.

If Williams and Kitchens wins out, I don't see how you shake up this combo. 
Making the most of a terrible situation in temporary roles is completely different than running the ship from season ending to offseason install to preseason/camp to games, etc.  Do they get credit for what they've accomplished in November and December?  Absolutely, regardless of the outcomes of the final 3 games.  Whether they stay here or don't.  But have you backed yourself into a corner in which you have to retain them in their current roles?  An emphatic no.  That's prisoner of the moment stuff that leads to poor decision making.  It isn't about the now.  It's about the future.  What's best for this team in the future? The answer to that question will lead us to the right coaches.

Trying not to derail the Baker thread into a Browns HC thread, but I'm really warming up to the Arians HC, Kitchens OC, and Williams DC combo right now.  Brings in a smart, creative HC that is familiar and wants to work with Kitchens as OC.  The plan reeks of, dare I say, continuity among the coaching staff.  If Williams and Kitchens wins out, I don't see how you shake up this combo.  They will have gained the team's trust, specifically Baker - who already has created a great relationship with both coaches.
They need to see more but if Kitchens is the real deal, they will lose him to another team starved for offense. They need to have a plan that make him like McVay and Payton. Eagles lost Reich & DeFillippo and fell apart offensively. Reich doing good in Indy. Falcons lost Shanahan and fell apart. Shanahan building in SF.

Most of the time these guys think they can go to some place like OAK or BUF and turn them around only to find out, they were just part of the machine and needed a top QB to have the same success.  Haley found that out in KC, McDaniels found that out in DEN.

Baker, Baker, Baker has done it again!  Rookie of the Week for the 5th time this season!  Can't wait for him to claim #6 after he dismantles Denver tomorrow night.  :popcorn:

Ya, I gave @petekrum a beating so severe, I believe he disappeared
I did the same thing in the Christian McCaffrey thread where I was predicting his greatness a full year before he was drafted. @petekrum was slinging insults about my intelligence because he was SO CERTAIN I was wrong. Well, turns out I was way right. Haven’t seen old pete in quite some time. 

Users who are viewing this thread