What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (1 Viewer)

Same story with click-bait yellow-journalism headline  >>>>   NY POST  Baker Mayfield trashes Daniel Jones as a loser
Dude has no chill

:lmao:

It’s like no one ever taught him to filter what pops into his head. Which is fine if you’re a positional player but kind of not what most franchises want from their team leader & the face of the franchise QB.

But I’m old so there’s that.

:shrug:

Old school had lots of guys who said and did what they wanted and they didn't care.  

------------------------

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva 1h1 hour ago

* Didnt call Jones a loser once * Stated an opinion that was rooted in fact (Jones went 17-19 at Duke) * Was commenting on a SportCenter segment * Was making a general point about what he feels is important in QB evals and not “trashing” Jones at all

I believe a wise man once said "Nowadays, everybody wanna talk, Like they got somethin' to say, But nothin' comes out when they move their lips, Just a bunch of gibberish, like they got somethin' to say (forgot about Dre)"

I went to listen to the context of how it came out and I'm shaking my head. How do you say that???? And this is coming from a Giants fan who rips Jones constantly... but you can't say what Mayfield said, that's just dumb.

Old school had lots of guys who said and did what they wanted and they didn't care.  

------------------------

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva 1h1 hour ago

* Didnt call Jones a loser once * Stated an opinion that was rooted in fact (Jones went 17-19 at Duke) * Was commenting on a SportCenter segment * Was making a general point about what he feels is important in QB evals and not “trashing” Jones at all
OTOH, he’s not wrong. I had the same take when they took Jones.

Baker Mayfield to @GQMagazine: “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones. Blows my mind…Some people overthink it [what makes a good quarterback]. That’s where they go wrong. They forget you’ve gotta win.”

...I went to listen to the context of how it came out and I'm shaking my head. How do you say that???? And this is coming from a Giants fan who rips Jones constantly... but you can't say what Mayfield said, that's just dumb.
He was asked and gave his honest opinion so he told the truth.

People don't tell the truth and fear backlash, especially in this day and age but most people don't take over an 0-fer that had a 1-31 record and say He is the guy to turn it around.

BAKER MAYFIELD PROMISES TO TURN AROUND NFL FRANCHISE 

A team who hadn't won a game in over a year.  Very first playing time he took over, won the game and then goes onto set the all-time NFL record for TD passes in his rookie season.

A guy who got his first start in the fourth game. 

Most people don't have that sort of confidence and won't tell the truth because they fear the backlash.  

Bake doesn't care and he's certainly not dumb.

I've liked Mayfield thus far as kind of a Brett Favre type of guy. Nothing wrong with some gunslinger brashness and cockiness. But now he's acting more like a sniveling pip squeak, insulting a colleague out in the open for no reason. Seriously wtf? I don't even think Johnny Manziel ever did that.

Why is he even concerning himself with Daniel Jones anyway - the Giants' back up? He's not a talent evaluator, he's a quarterback. I think he should be more worried about the defenses he's going against.

I will laugh my butt off if this dream team falls on its face.

I don’t think Mayfield is trying to be a jerk, but yes, the correct answer is: “I’m sure the Giants did what they felt was best for their team.  I am a Cleveland brown and my only concern is doing all I can to win games for them.”

The New England Robots are very boring in interviews, but they don’t have to deal with media blowing their responses out of proportion either.  

Except for this one lapse...(never gets old)

https://youtu.be/5lk-wWUQKBg 

On Bill Simmons fantasy podcast he and with Matthew Berry they talk about drafting Beckham, Chubb and Mayfield and they think its a good idea.  While I can see a path in the draft that you could obtain all three, isnt this just lunacy or is there some method to the madness?  I mean I thought it was crazy on first listen then I started thinking about and if, repeat if, the offense is lights out there there are plenty of points to go around in a game by game basis.  I have never done this just wondering what you guys think?

On Bill Simmons fantasy podcast he and with Matthew Berry they talk about drafting Beckham, Chubb and Mayfield and they think its a good idea.  While I can see a path in the draft that you could obtain all three, isnt this just lunacy or is there some method to the madness?  I mean I thought it was crazy on first listen then I started thinking about and if, repeat if, the offense is lights out there there are plenty of points to go around in a game by game basis.  I have never done this just wondering what you guys think?
too many peaks and valleys w/ this approach IMO.  

I try to mitigate my floor when putting teams together.

Two takeaways.

#1. Baker comes off as feeling threatened by this kid.

#2. Baker and OBJ were made for each other. They will crash and burn gloriously together.
Anyone who would say this doesn't know enough about Baker. He's got ego but not of the fragile, threatened by others variety. 

That part of the article was cleverly crafted.  Props to those editors and all the subsequent click-bait articles.  

I believe a wise man once said "Nowadays, everybody wanna talk, Like they got somethin' to say, But nothin' comes out when they move their lips, Just a bunch of gibberish, like they got somethin' to say (forgot about Dre)"
😐 You should double check your work.

Anyone who would say this doesn't know enough about Baker. He's got ego but not of the fragile, threatened by others variety. 
In general, when we say bad things about other people that didn't need to be said, its because we are subconsciously seeking to elevate ourselves in our own minds or the minds of others.

While an individual may, in general, convey a sense of bravado and self-confidence, these little slip-ups offer insight into subconscious fragility.

It's pretty basic stuff, whether the root cause is being short or playing on a small market team or not being as well endowed as Nick Foles.

In general, when we say bad things about other people that didn't need to be said, its because we are subconsciously seeking to elevate ourselves in our own minds or the minds of others.

While an individual may, in general, convey a sense of bravado and self-confidence, these little slip-ups offer insight into subconscious fragility.

It's pretty basic stuff, whether the root cause is being short or playing on a small market team or not being as well endowed as Nick Foles.
You should probably read what he actually said again, or for the first time. What you're describing isn't what really what happened, despite all the click bait. 

You should probably read what he actually said again, or for the first time. What you're describing isn't what really what happened, despite all the click bait. 
The original article.

Near our booth, a SportsCenter segment about the New York Giants catches Mayfield's eye. “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones,” Mayfield says, about New York's much-maligned draft-day decision to spend the sixth pick on the quarterback from Duke (whose college record was a measly 17–19). “Blows my mind.”

I tell Mayfield that I'm mystified that so many supposedly expert quarterback scouts seem unable to predict what makes a good NFL quarterback.

“Some people overthink it,” Mayfield says. “That's where people go wrong. They forget you've gotta win.”
The headline was definitely misleading as he never calls the guy a loser, I'll give you that. But Mayfield brings up the subject of Daniel Jones on his own, and ####s on him out of the blue.

Last edited by a moderator:
 By saying, “they forget you’ve got to win”, I’d say he pretty much called him a loser.  

And he’s stating a fact.  The guy had a losing record in college.  But he needs to learn to keep his answers short and polished for now.  One good rookie year doesn’t make you a draft analyst.  

jmo87usc said:
 By saying, “they forget you’ve got to win”, I’d say he pretty much called him a loser.  

And he’s stating a fact.  The guy had a losing record in college.  But he needs to learn to keep his answers short and polished for now.  One good rookie year doesn’t make you a draft analyst.  
It's college dude. Unless you're on one of maybe like 7 or 8 teams in this country, you're on a team of mostly nobodies. Coaching is far more important at college as well.

So while yes, "it's a fact", be careful not to overvalue W/L in college. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

SeniorVBDStudent said:

Love the BDN reference

Getting some major SDE vibes from Mayfield. Maybe his work on the football field is not enough to compensate. I bet he drives an F-350.

SeniorVBDStudent said:

You have him figured out and all short men who come from small markets but your definitely have it wrong to assume short men may not be well endowed trust me on that one son but going with your basic conclusion Baker seems like a troubled fragile guy ready to crack at any moment.  

Assuming everything else you say with your theory is correct that subconscious seeks to evaluate with our own minds does your conscious power of perception have anything to say about people who evaluate Baker Mayfield? 

Are they above petty jealousy due to obvious superior intellect or is the reason they take shots pretty obvious?

You have him figured out and all short men who come from small markets but your definitely have it wrong to assume short men may not be well endowed trust me on that one son but going with your basic conclusion Baker seems like a troubled fragile guy ready to crack at any moment.  

Assuming everything else you say with your theory is correct that subconscious seeks to evaluate with our own minds does your conscious power of perception have anything to say about people who evaluate Baker Mayfield? 

Are they above petty jealousy due to obvious superior intellect or is the reason they take shots pretty obvious?
Referred to as an ad hominem attack, a debating tactic which deflects from the subject of interest focusing instead on the arguer. It's a logical fallacy. An often used strategy of our great President. But I'm sure you don't have any problem with Trump attacking opponents constantly, why would you have a problem with Mayfield attacking a random colleague for no reason?

Referred to as an ad hominem attack, a debating tactic which deflects from the subject of interest, focusing instead on the arguer. It's a logical fallacy. An often used strategy of our great President. But I'm sure you don't have any problem with Trump attacking opponents constantly, why would you have a problem with Mayfield doing the same thing?
Spot on the topic of Baker Mayfield.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECa6Rx2W4AIfN7o.jpg

Referred to as an ad hominem attack, a debating tactic which deflects from the subject of interest focusing instead on the arguer. It's a logical fallacy. An often used strategy of our great President. But I'm sure you don't have any problem with Trump attacking opponents constantly, why would you have a problem with Mayfield attacking a random colleague for no reason?
No need to to go around in circles here. I'm trying to stick to the subject of Mayfield, you know, the title of the thread. Trying.

Attacking other quarterbacks out of the blue for no reason is not a good look. Has he even met Daniel Jones? It's fair to consider his motivations. Is he just a jack-### or is he lacking in certain areas which make him feel inadequate? 🤔

No need to to go around in circles here. I'm trying to stick to the subject of Mayfield, you know, the title of the thread. Trying.

Attacking other quarterbacks out of the blue for no reason is not a good look. Has he even met Daniel Jones? It's fair to consider his motivations. Is he just a jack-### or is he lacking in certain areas which make him feel inadequate? 🤔
No attack was made

It's college dude. Unless you're on one of maybe like 7 or 8 teams in this country, you're on a team of mostly nobodies. Coaching is far more important at college as well.

So while yes, "it's a fact", be careful not to overvalue W/L in college. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.
Isn't the right thread for it, so I'll just say this then go back to enjoying have Baker as my team's QB.

Over-valuing W/L in college is a thing, as is actual statistical output - but there is a floor. If you QB a team that's below it then that's a major red flag. And I think Jones is below that floor with both the W/L and his actual output. Good NFL QB's make those around them better. Jones quite simply didn't do that.

Isn't the right thread for it, so I'll just say this then go back to enjoying have Baker as my team's QB.

Over-valuing W/L in college is a thing, as is actual statistical output - but there is a floor. If you QB a team that's below it then that's a major red flag. And I think Jones is below that floor with both the W/L and his actual output. Good NFL QB's make those around them better. Jones quite simply didn't do that.
Nope

Baker Mayfield underwent precautionary X-rays on his injured hand following Sunday's Week 1 loss to the Titans.

Mayfield didn't look right in the opener, throwing three interceptions including a pick-six to Malcolm Butler late in Sunday's blowout loss to Tennessee. The former No. 1 pick took a beating against the Titans, taking five sacks and a safety behind the Browns' anemic offensive line. Luckily, it appears he escaped with just a bruised hand. Baker will look to rebound against the Jets—who he defeated for his first NFL victory last year—on Monday Night Football.

SOURCE: Jake Trotter on Twitter

Sep 9, 2019, 12:46 PM ET

OL is a major problem. Better start dialing up quick 1-2 second throws.
OL was a problem last year as well.  I think they'll work out the kinks.  Once Robinson was ejected, we knew it'd be a rough game.  He'll be back next week and already expressing remorse for his actions.  He knows he let the team down with that situation.  

But if Baker could make things work with the line they had last year, he can make things work with this year's line as well.

Kitchens and Monken need to get on the same page with play calls.  Some of the drives I got to see from the game didn't look like the same drives last year.

Kitchens and Monken need to get on the same page with play calls.  Some of the drives I got to see from the game didn't look like the same drives last year.
I was wondering if this monken  guy was gonna mess everything up. There were grumbling in TC or preseason I'd I recall.

I was wondering if this monken  guy was gonna mess everything up. There were grumbling in TC or preseason I'd I recall.
Monken isn't calling any plays, Kitchens is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva 5h5 hours ago

Also, the #Browns have one of the best playcallers in the NFL on staff and he’s not calling the plays right now.

Keith Britton @KeithBritton86

#Browns  HC Freddie Kitchens on status update on Baker Mayfield (hand): "X-rays were negative so we're good to go. I'm pretty sure he'll be fine. I can't say anything definitive right now. I'm pretty certain he'll be fine." Says he doesn't expect Baker to miss any time.

Bracie Smathers said:
Monken isn't calling any plays, Kitchens is.
I get that, but the plays are designed by both of them - as well as the game plan.  Freddie may have been calling the plays, but let's not act like Monken wasn't involved. 

My point is that from what little I could see on Sunday, it didn't look like anything we've seen from Kitchens the end of last year.  Place the blame wherever you want, I'm just saying the three of them (Kitchens, Monken, and Mayfield) need to get on the same page and fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread