What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (1 Viewer)

This girl is unattractive and trashy too.  Just looking to get famous off S’ing some D. 
She isn't very smart.  She could have easily been raped and murdered.  Meeting someone by yourself in a rear parking lot, leaving your phone behind and getting into a van with tinted windows is beyond stupid.

She isn't very smart.  She could have easily been raped and murdered.  Meeting someone by yourself in a rear parking lot, leaving your phone behind and getting into a van with tinted windows is beyond stupid.
Okay...sure...but if there was candy in the van?  I mean, that's gotta be okay, right?

Browns OC Alex Van Pelt said he will be changing Baker Mayfield's footwork this offseason.

One specific change will be in his three-step drops in shotgun. Mayfield currently has his right foot in front, but the new offensive coordinator believes that made his footwork problematic while dropping back, which would then lead to some accuracy issues. There will be other changes to his game and the offense as a whole with the new coaching staff, and we're here for it all. Mayfield regressed in 2019 but has the potential to be a bounce back candidate with his talented supporting cast and new environment in 2020. Ultimately, his ability to react to pressure will determine how his next season goes. Mayfield is a QB2 in early fantasy drafts.

SOURCE: Jake Trotter on Twitter

Feb 19, 2020, 12:35 PM ET

From just about every angle I hate the idea of a professional qb changing their footwork.  By the time you're a starter in college this should be a non-issue.

From just about every angle I hate the idea of a professional qb changing their footwork.  By the time you're a starter in college this should be a non-issue.
Exactly what I thought. Oof. Though to be fair, it did look like he needed footwork changes last year. So maybe this is what's called for. I just don't like it, that's all. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Browns QB Baker Mayfield plans to be slimmer and faster in 2020.

Rapoport added that Mayfield, "Put on some weight last year to bulk up and lost some quickness." The former No. 1 overall pick weighed in at the 2018 combine at 215 pounds. Mayfield did struggle to make his way out of the pocket in 2019, limiting some of his lethal improvisational play. Still, this is the type of news that is common in the offseason. Mayfield will ultimately need to show major signs of improvement on the football field in 2020 in order to get his career back on track.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 26, 2020, 9:15 AM ET

I know its probably hard to get an unbiased opinion from a Browns thread full of diehard fans, but does anyone think Baker Mayfield will ever be an elite (top 5) fantasy QB? I don't doubt he can bounce back and be a very good NFL QB, but will that translate to fantasy you think? 

I know its probably hard to get an unbiased opinion from a Browns thread full of diehard fans, but does anyone think Baker Mayfield will ever be an elite (top 5) fantasy QB? I don't doubt he can bounce back and be a very good NFL QB, but will that translate to fantasy you think? 
Top-5 is a tall order.  While he progressed as a professional last year, it certainly didn't show up in his FF stats.  On the other hand, I like where they appear to be heading with him.  They promise to improve his mechanics and tailor the offense to him.  His stats will improve without a doubt, IMO.  Still, I don't think we'll ever see elite, HOF level, which I equate to top-5.

Top-5 is a tall order.  While he progressed as a professional last year, it certainly didn't show up in his FF stats.  On the other hand, I like where they appear to be heading with him.  They promise to improve his mechanics and tailor the offense to him.  His stats will improve without a doubt, IMO.  Still, I don't think we'll ever see elite, HOF level, which I equate to top-5.
Well said.  Top 5 might be a reach unless things really start to click, but I see Top 10 as a strong potential.  The talent is there in the offense, and they brought in the coaches who (on paper) appear to be able to capitalize on it.  It might take 1 year of working out the kinks, but I think they can make significant improvements on Offense.  The OL is my only concern.  While I am a Baker owner....  but I did not put all my eggs in 1 basket.  Blind faith will only get you so far.... 

Not an every year top 5 type. If he's a 2 and 3 contract qb then he will have some top 5 seasons though. This year's draft will be telling, but I'd put 2022 on your radar. That's the year after Chubb expires and if these guys are still calling the shots then I'd be surprised if he is retained. 

Cleveland really focused on their OL this offseason. If they give Baker time and he still struggles then I'll have to move him down my rankings. At this point I still believe he's an elite perennial top 5 QB of the future. 

His long stride and release where everything floats high and to the right gives me real pause. I'm not sanguine about his future at all, but people know me as being down on Baker so take that with a grain of salt. But he didn't look pretty even in clean pockets last year.

That said, how often was he in a clean pocket? His strength of schedule was absolutely brutal last year if we're just talking the defenses of teams he faced. 

His long stride and release where everything floats high and to the right gives me real pause. I'm not sanguine about his future at all, but people know me as being down on Baker so take that with a grain of salt. But he didn't look pretty even in clean pockets last year.

That said, how often was he in a clean pocket? His strength of schedule was absolutely brutal last year if we're just talking the defenses of teams he faced. 
I'm just not ready to bail on him yet because his OL did not help him at all. They were trying to go down the field to much and didn't have the OL to give Baker enough time. He might have been shell shocked by that and that might be why he was feeling pressure that was not there. 

They upgraded both T positions. Picked up a nice back up C who can play some G too. 

I'm just not ready to bail on him yet because his OL did not help him at all. They were trying to go down the field to much and didn't have the OL to give Baker enough time. He might have been shell shocked by that and that might be why he was feeling pressure that was not there. 

They upgraded both T positions. Picked up a nice back up C who can play some G too.
I agree with the bolded. I'm not sure what one can draw from last year about Mayfield. That's about the fairest assessment I can honestly make, even given what looked like awful mechanics in the early-mid to latter half of the year, which might have been a function of his line play. He's certainly got playmakers around him and he and Higgins seemed to have rapport at WR, so if Higgins is WR3, then that's something to be considered, too.

I personally did not see enough of him the first year to mitigate what I saw of him last year, so like I said, less sanguine than others about his potential. If he takes care of basic fundamentals, his supporting cast should at least make him an above-average QB. Whether he's fantasy-relevant is another issue entirely. In 1 QB/12 team redraft, I don't think the pickings are that picked over to make one needy other than QBBC or rotational stuff. In Superflex or 2 QB, then sure he is relevant. Dynasty? Yeah, probably so if not definitely so. Depends on how deep your rosters are.

Dark-horse NFL MVP candidates in 2020: Josh Allen tops the list

Excerpt:

Baker Mayfield Cleveland Browns · QB

No, really: This time, I mean it.

Last offseason, I ranked Mayfield as the No. 3 candidate for MVP. Not the No. 3 dark horse -- No. 3 overall. Whoops.

The 2019 season was a mess for Baker (sub-60 completion percentage, 21 picks, 78.8 passer rating) and the Browns (6-10 after a full offseason of hype). But Freddie Kitchens was clearly in above his head, leading to his firing after one highly disappointing year in the big chair. Enter the buttoned-up Kevin Stefanski, the right guy -- with the right play-action-heavy scheme -- at the right time. The offensive line is now bookended by a pair of talented newcomers in first-round pick Jedrick Willsand big-ticket free-agent acquisition Jack Conklin. The pass-catching weaponry is eye-popping, with Pro Bowl tight end Austin Hooper joining the fray and Odell Beckham Jr. returning to good health. The ground game is ready to rock, with Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt providing great balance. Everything's in place.

Don't forget: Mayfield was stellar in Year 1, setting a rookie QB record with 27 touchdown passes. Now, in Year 3, he's flanked by a spectacular supporting cast. Time for a major bounce-back.

I’m hopeful because I like his talent but with Stefanski running the show it’s a bit hard to imagine him breaking through for an elite season. Back end QB1 would be good but that’s not moving the needle in 1QB. Superflex a different story and he’s probably a solid buy there.

I'm pumped to have him as my QB1 in a superflex.  Quite frankly I'll be shocked if he doesn't end up as a top-10 fantasy QB this year.  Totally optimistic.

I'll admit I was never a fan of the prospect and was doubting myself a bit after his rookie year but I am back to square 1 now

He is still overrated for a guy who had OBJ, Landry, Chubb and Hunt and still posted a borderline bottom 5 QB season and couldn't beat Duck Hodges and the 2-14 Bengals

Daniel Jones nearly broke Baker's rookie TD record with a 5th round rookie as his WR1, Wayne Gallman as his RB and Kaden Smith as his TE

Josh Allen still has a lot of work to do but led an offense just about equal to the Browns' throwing to WRs worse than Baker's number 2 with the corpse of Frank Gore and a 3rd round rookie as his RBs—all while nearly toppling the Patriots for the division title

Kyler with a turnstile OL, 40 year old Fitz+washed DJ and Drake as his weapons and a ####ty Vance Joseph coached D earned a better record in a tougher division

Baker...did more commercials

I know Kitchens was bad but it's put up or shut up this season after a year of "doing less with more" better than anyone

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only one share of Baker in my leagues but it's on my best team and that team is absolutely stacked. Would not trade my first rounder at all and was hoping I would get Joe Burrow with it and I did; what I am saying this is Baker's last chance on my roster :)

I think i'm cutting him this year.  Just watching him last year he just doesn't have 'it'.  You look at even a Jones and some of his games you can see it.  Maayfield looks nervous, can't see the field and is fairly inaccurate.  He doesn't know how to use his feet to create time for his wrs.  Can he learn and overcome all these things...maybe

I'll admit I was never a fan of the prospect and was doubting myself a bit after his rookie year but I am back to square 1 now

He is still overrated for a guy who had OBJ, Landry, Chubb and Hunt and still posted a borderline bottom 5 QB season and couldn't beat Duck Hodges and the 2-14 Bengals

Daniel Jones nearly broke Baker's rookie TD record with a 5th round rookie as his WR1, Wayne Gallman as his RB and Kaden Smith as his TE

Josh Allen still has a lot of work to do but led an offense just about equal to the Browns' throwing to WRs worse than Baker's number 2 with the corpse of Frank Gore and a 3rd round rookie as his RBs—all while nearly toppling the Patriots for the division title

Kyler with a turnstile OL, 40 year old Fitz+washed DJ and Drake as his weapons and a ####ty Vance Joseph coached D earned a better record in a tougher division

Baker...did more commercials

I know Kitchens was bad but it's put up or shut up this season after a year of "doing less with more" better than anyone
I think you may be overstating how good Bakers situation was last year. Hunt was suspended half the year. OBJ was clearly playing injured for the majority of it. The Oline was terrible. They didn't really have a TE after Njoku got hurt. Antonio Callaway, their WR3, smoked himself out of the league. 

It sounds like I'm making excuses for Baker but young players struggle can struggle when dealing with adversity unless they have good coaching to keep it all together. Instead they had Kitchens also trying to figure everything out. It was the roster with the 3rd youngest average age in the league and it fell apart without leadership. To most teams it would be the perfect storm of bad but it felt like another Browns season.

I'm not optimistic they fix it, hiring another young coach, but it makes sense in hindsight why last year missed expectations so badly.

He is probably overrated, getting drafted first overall and rookie passing TD records will do that. 

I think you may be overstating how good Bakers situation was last year. Hunt was suspended half the year. OBJ was clearly playing injured for the majority of it. The Oline was terrible. They didn't really have a TE after Njoku got hurt. Antonio Callaway, their WR3, smoked himself out of the league. 

It sounds like I'm making excuses for Baker but young players struggle can struggle when dealing with adversity unless they have good coaching to keep it all together. Instead they had Kitchens also trying to figure everything out. It was the roster with the 3rd youngest average age in the league and it fell apart without leadership. To most teams it would be the perfect storm of bad but it felt like another Browns season.

I'm not optimistic they fix it, hiring another young coach, but it makes sense in hindsight why last year missed expectations so badly.

He is probably overrated, getting drafted first overall and rookie passing TD records will do that. 
Peyton Manning may have led all rookies in TDs his rookie year(26) but he also led the league in interceptions(28).  His 4th year he had 26 TDs and 23 INTs........just sayin’

Peyton Manning may have led all rookies in TDs his rookie year(26) but he also led the league in interceptions(28).  His 4th year he had 26 TDs and 23 INTs........just sayin’
True, but Peyton didn't waste time his first two years in the league going at ex-coaches and sports talking heads.  Manning had growing pains, but you always had the sense that he was going to pan out and be a great one.  The same cannot be said for Baker Mayfield, IMO. 

Love what Cleveland did with their OL. I see Baker having a good/great year possibly. The new OC is kind of an unknown but with the revamped OL and the two RB they have. They should be able to take a lot of pressure off of Baker. 

There are two types of philosophies- the QB is allowed to roam around, the QB should stay in the pocket. Baker can not succeed in the latter but he's a gutsy fun larger than life style QB in the former.

We have seen it with tons and tons of young QBs behind questionable lines while their team rebuilds. The QB must be able to move around and do whatever makes him comfortable under duress.

I felt like the Browns let him do this his rookie year. I felt like year two, like he'd get in trouble for doing it. He'd move around, there'd be some sideline exchange, and then he'd be in the pocket next series. 

The Browns must let him move around or they drafted the wrong guy. If the Cards don't let Murray move around this year, if the Fins don't let Tua move around...it's what they do.

Look at Mariota's awesome 4.4 speed and being forced in the pocket. Imagine Lamar not allowed to run. 

Baker is supposed to look like Favre, Young, Elway and rolling around til he fires a pass from a cannon. 

I DO think the Browns drafted the right guy and wow did he turn them around and bring excitement to a downtrodden franchise but it's that we all enjoy him on the move and it fires us fans up watching, nevermind imagining what it's like to play with a guy like that. 

If this OC won't allow him to move around then they should have drafted a 6-6 QB with a big arm. If he will, then get your popcorn ready. I really think it's that simple.

I can't stand people breaking down the game of a QB being sacked a million times or within two seconds. It is not his fault and no technique will fix it. The problem is elsewhere. There are a ton of Baker critics doing this- ignore them. Then there are the critics that break down when he did have time to pass- this is where it's at. In these types you'll see them breakdown as if he rolled right, he had this WR, but he rolled left. He threw it hard and low when he should have lofted a soft pass as that would have made the WRs catch far easier. He is clearly an inexperienced QB and has to improve, but ....ignore those that break down when he had 1.6 seconds to throw. It couldn't be more useless

Baker’s Biggest Issue

Baker’s Biggest Issue

Intermediate throws are where Baker Mayfield has struggled the most during his NFL career. Mayfield finished 25th in EPA per attempt and 32nd in completion percentage on these throws in 2019. As a bigger concern, his on-target rate was the lowest of all qualified quarterbacks. Even during Mayfield’s impressive rookie season, he struggled on passes to the intermediate area...
Go to the link for charts/graphs and the rest of the read.

He's short and his linemen are tall so he needs to drop back further than a taller/average sized NFL QB to find the middle of the field.  

When he made an extra step back last year it put him in the path of edge defenders.  Poor OT play added to the problem along with a poor scheme/HC/OC all on Kitchens.

Loss of TE Njuko early last year coupled with injuries to both starting WRs didn't help matter.

What has changed?

• New scheme that fits Baker's strengths.  
  • New HC/OC/ as noted scheme.
  • Landed top FA OT in Conklin.
  • Landed one of the top if not the top rookie OT in Jed Wills.
  • Healthy WRs/TE/ with new addition TE who is getting solid reviews in camp.
Baker is still shorter than average NFL QB but the slide-zone blocking with roll/boot/PA.

We'll see what effect everything has if/any but everything that has happened makes sense.

I've studied the Shanahan offense and how they create open passing lanes that have made mediocre QBs look really good and how this blocking scheme opens up the running game which opens up play-action.

I'm excited to see the patented Shanahan roll/boot play-action because that is going to help more than people realize.  

Users who are viewing this thread