What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (1 Viewer)

Baker Mayfield said he's feeling “more comfortable” in the Browns’ offense.

"The more plays we run to see what the identity is, we're starting to see what's working for us," Mayfield said. "It's been great to go through installs. We're really starting to make progress." Mayfield has been featuring his tight ends in practice, a staple of  Kevin Stefanski's Vikings offense. He’s hyped up Austin Hooper and rookie Harrison Bryant throughout camp. Playing in what should be a better offense with an improved support cast, Mayfield is set up for a Year 3 rebound.

SOURCE: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Aug 28, 2020, 7:04 PM ET

Baker Mayfield completed 20-of-38 passes for 188 yards, one score, and one interception in the Browns' 6-38, Week 1 loss to the Ravens.

Mayfield struggled to make plays when the pocket collapsed and took a back-breaking sack at the hands of Tyus Bowser in the third quarter. He couldn't connect with Odell Beckham Jr., who only caught just three balls for 22 yards on 10 targets. Browns LT Jedrick Wills left with a leg injury and did not return so Mayfield could continue to face pressure throughout the year. Mayfield faces the Bengals at home next week. He may be able to bounce back next week big is hardly a starting fantasy quarterback at the moment.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Mayfield and Darnold both have time to turn things around, but as of right now Allen and Jackson are the better QBs. Shows just how much of a crapshoot the draft really is.

Mayfield and Darnold both have time to turn things around, but as of right now Allen and Jackson are the better QBs. Shows just how much of a crapshoot the draft really is.
True.  But it's easy for my eyes to see Baker is straight garbage.  He's Surrounded by all that talent and nothing.  Darnold has been surrounded by garbage to this point.

Development matters. 
Absolutely. The Browns have done Baker no favors at all. Same with Jets and Darnold. I had my doubts about whether the Bills could develop a QB, but Allen has made some nice strides each year and the stability at OC has definitely helped. I’m still not sure Allen is an actual franchise QB, but he’s at least taken steps in the right direction. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for Browns fans to see Mayfield have such a nice rookie season and then seemingly regress even with better talent around him.

Absolutely. The Browns have done Baker no favors at all. Same with Jets and Darnold. I had my doubts about whether the Bills could develop a QB, but Allen has made some nice strides each year and the stability at OC has definitely helped. I’m still not sure Allen is an actual franchise QB, but he’s at least taken steps in the right direction. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for Browns fans to see Mayfield have such a nice rookie season and then seemingly regress even with better talent around him.
Yeah Baker only has OBJ, Landry, Hunt, Chubb and now Hooper

No help at all

Darnold on the other hand had been actively screwed over by his team

It'll take time to detox from 2019. Will Baker's arrow ascend upwards as the season progresses and he accumulates time in this system? I think that's a question to be answered later this fall. But I've also never been one to react much to any September, especially this particular one. 

I think I'm done w Baker personally. He's is a 20-32 guy going forward right? God I feel so bad for Browns fan for having to deal with this crap. 

Baltimore is a top 5 defense. Maybe it’s best to not hit the panic button yet. I think Odell is the true fraud. Jury still out on Baker. 
Lol OBJ has proven he is an elite talent multiple times. Baker hasn't proven jack####

How can anyone look at their careers and legitimately think OBJ isn't good and Baker is

OBJ has literally been elite every year without Baker but he is the fraud? Compared to Baker who has never been elite?

Doesn't make sense at all

Lol OBJ has proven he is an elite talent multiple times. Baker hasn't proven jack####

How can anyone look at their careers and legitimately think OBJ isn't good and Baker is

OBJ has literally been elite every year without Baker but he is the fraud? Compared to Baker who has never been elite?

Doesn't make sense at all
My post is talking about THIS season. OBJ WAS an elite talent. His last elite season was 2016.  Let that sink in. 2016.  Baker appears to be a fraud too but it's still too early to say since he plays the toughest position in football.  Did you watch the game this weekend?  OBJ can't even catch the easy ones anymore, he's a shell of his former self.

My post is talking about THIS season. OBJ WAS an elite talent. His last elite season was 2016.  Let that sink in. 2016.  Baker appears to be a fraud too but it's still too early to say since he plays the toughest position in football.  Did you watch the game this weekend?  OBJ can't even catch the easy ones anymore, he's a shell of his former self.
Beckham is still an elite talent. He was just an especially sloppy one Sunday.

Beckham is still an elite talent. He was just an especially sloppy one Sunday.
He hasn't been elite on the football field since 2016.  How are you qualifying him as STILL being an elite talent?  I don't see it. He could turn it around but I don't see that happening.  He has been in a down trend for 4 seasons now.

He hasn't been elite on the football field since 2016.  How are you qualifying him as STILL being an elite talent?  I don't see it. He could turn it around but I don't see that happening.  He has been in a down trend for 4 seasons now.
I buy the he tried to play injured (not hurt) narrative last season. I didn't watch enough prior to comment. I read all summer how he looked like his old self and from a physical perspective I saw it on Sunday. His problem wasn't his physical gifts. His problem was actually executing. He was a total mess in that game. I'm not going to try to play amateur shrink from my couch and forecast whether he will get it right or not. I am curious to see how both he and Baker respond on Thursday though.

I buy the he tried to play injured (not hurt) narrative last season. I didn't watch enough prior to comment. I read all summer how he looked like his old self and from a physical perspective I saw it on Sunday. His problem wasn't his physical gifts. His problem was actually executing. He was a total mess in that game. I'm not going to try to play amateur shrink from my couch and forecast whether he will get it right or not. I am curious to see how both he and Baker respond on Thursday though.
I get it, your a Browns fan and staying optimistic, I can't fault you for that.  As an outsider looking in and someone who has owned OBJ his entire career in dynasty, I'm telling you, his best days are behind him.  My best guess is that he is living the party life and football just ain't that important to him.  Either way, glad I avoided him in redrafts this year. I still have him on a dynasty team, however.

I get it, your a Browns fan and staying optimistic, I can't fault you for that.  As an outsider looking in and someone who has owned OBJ his entire career in dynasty, I'm telling you, his best days are behind him.  My best guess is that he is living the party life and football just ain't that important to him.  Either way, glad I avoided him in redrafts this year. I still have him on a dynasty team, however.
I wouldn't call it optimism. There's good reason I veered away from him in redrafts and I don't think I've ever had him in dyno (a reason I can't comment on prior). I just don't jump to conclusions after one game. If things go well Thursday I'm not going to whip lash and scream ALL IS WELL!!! I'll want to see them do it again. 

I wouldn't call it optimism. There's good reason I veered away from him in redrafts and I don't think I've ever had him in dyno (a reason I can't comment on prior). I just don't jump to conclusions after one game. If things go well Thursday I'm not going to whip lash and scream ALL IS WELL!!! I'll want to see them do it again. 
I'm basing my opinion based on his last 3+ seasons of declined production.

Mayfield looked completely lost to me.  Talked a lot of trash and isn't backing any of it up.  Dude has elite weapons and line.  Put up or shut up.

On a per game basis he was elite while healthy in 2017 and the 10 games in 2018 too.

2017: WR3 in PPG

2018: WR6 in PPG

While healthy he has been great his whole career with subpar QB play in late career Eli (except 2016--Eli was good then). It's just with Baker he hasn't

it is REALLY hard to say OBJ is washed when his QB is a joke.

I mean...Manning was done in NYC when he was killing. 

I feel like that was as good as we will see Baker and the Browns all season........that cincy defensive front was as soft as Randy Bullocks beer belly......against better D's he will revert to gun slinger, pick throwin Baker.....heck, he had a bad pick in this one

I feel like that was as good as we will see Baker and the Browns all season........that cincy defensive front was as soft as Randy Bullocks beer belly......against better D's he will revert to gun slinger, pick throwin Baker.....heck, he had a bad pick this one
Exactly.  Yes, we all know by now that he can light up the Bengals.  Congrats to him.  Now let's see some consistent play out of him in 2020 against teams who aren't 4-25 since the middle of October 2018.

Baker Mayfield completed 16-of-23 passes for 156 yards, and two touchdowns in the Browns' 34-20 Week 3 win over Washington.   

Mayfield had an efficient day in a decidedly run-heavy game plan against the Football Team. The Browns hammered Washington on the ground once they secured a two-score lead and never looked back. That's why Mayfield will rarely post great stat lines when the Browns have game flow on their side. He'll be worth consideration as a deeper streaming play next week against Dallas and its porous defense. 

Sep 27, 2020, 3:57 PM ET

Colin Cowherd is this you?
No, but it will be entertaining seeing Browns fans attack him on Twitter after beating the Bengals and Washington FBT.   These same fans will be nowhere to be found when the Browns are 5-9 and Mayfield is enjoying his last days as a starter.

Users who are viewing this thread