What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did your kids play basketball with braces? (1 Viewer)

Long Ball Larry

Footballguy
My daughter got braces a couple months ago and has now started basketball season.  I have made her wear a mouth guard because that is what the orthodontist said and what seems to be recommended. But she finds that it really impedes her breathing and she finds it distracting and there are other kids on the team with braces and no one wears a mouth guard.  Is it overkill to continue to force her to wear it?

I would bet getting elbowed in the face would cut the inside of her mouth pretty severely. Maybe lead with that and see what happens.

Wear the mouthguard.  I've seen some pretty bloody scenes from soccer balls to the face.

My dad was an orthodontist and always made us custom-fit mouthguards for hockey - those things were great.

I've certainly seen kids wearing them. If it impedes her breathing, tell her she's out of shape. 

Ultimately, I'm big on letting my kids figure things out for themselves as long as they wont get seriously injured or cost me a bunch of money. In this case, I'd tell her my thoughts and let her decide. 

My kid played with braces and did not wear a mouth guard.  We tried to persuade him to do so, but he resisted and we didn't push it.  We did discuss the risk and probably should have taken a stronger stand, but those days are past now.  Fortunately, we never had an issue, but I'm sure it would have been smarter to wear one.

Try a different mouthguard. My son plays hockey and it took a couple to find one he was comfortable with. They make some that you heat up with hot water that will mold to their mouth. Not as bulky as off the shelf mouthguards.

Did you get a mouth guard that is designed for use with braces? Like this - Shock Doctor Braces Mouth Guard

My kids don't have braces so I can't speak to how different they are from regular mouth guards, but for flag football every kid is required to wear a mouthpiece and I know several kids with braces that opt for the style designed for use with braces and prefer them. May be worth trying if it isn't what you already have to see if it helps.

yes, no mouthguard. but my daughter is also 5' 4" at 11 years old. Most kids in her league couldn't reach her mouth with an elbow if they had a stepladder

Next season when she moves up a division, it may be different. 

Try a different mouthguard. My son plays hockey and it took a couple to find one he was comfortable with. They make some that you heat up with hot water that will mold to their mouth. Not as bulky as off the shelf mouthguards.
This.

You really should try and get a mouthguard designed for braces.  They may cost more, but it's well worth it.

It does take a little getting used too (playing with a mouth piece in) - you tend to start breathing in your mouth because you feel like you have too with this new object in

acarey50 said:
Did you get a mouth guard that is designed for use with braces? Like this - Shock Doctor Braces Mouth Guard

My kids don't have braces so I can't speak to how different they are from regular mouth guards, but for flag football every kid is required to wear a mouthpiece and I know several kids with braces that opt for the style designed for use with braces and prefer them. May be worth trying if it isn't what you already have to see if it helps.
yup that is the one that we have.  it definitely is bulky.

gonna try this for now: https://www.dentakit.com/cocoforbr.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA9rjRBRAeEiwA2SV4ZXDukFvdrwYARj1sNG7NbGGqe1-Z0CnKMEjp3ysez5rLCzeIYgcXXRoCcbcQAvD_BwE

though frankly I find it disconcerting that the suggested uses are "for light contact sports (like wrestling practice) where mouthguards are not needed, or in intimate situations where you want protection from oral laceration," and that the free shipping kicks in at $69.

I am still considering others that have holes in them or some of those custom-fit ones.

My son wrestled with braces through high school. Highly recommend the mouthguard. Those cuts suck.

Yeah. I did. 

I still have rough places in my mouf.  Brutal. 

Not ...really, but it lasted for several years.

I'm ready for a Shuke challenge of horse. @shuke

Last edited by a moderator:
My 12 year old has been playing for a year with braces and no mouth guard.  Not worried about it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My 12 year old has been playing for a year with braces and no mouth guard.  Not worried about it. 
My 11 year old in the same boat.  Played in several sessions since getting his braces and has never worn a mouth guard.  I don't get to take him on his appointments, but I never even heard mention of a mouth guard.  Sounds like a scam, kind of like this Bitcoin nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread