What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any FBG Welders. Need help buying stuff (1 Viewer)

KCitons

Footballguy
Finally got the last of our kids on a path to a career. He started his welding classes this week. He said the instructor gave them a list of items they need to buy. Can anyone give recommendations on a equipment? Mainly, we are trying to figure out which helmet to purchase. There are dozens ranging in price from $50-$500. I think the gloves, boots, and jacket are pretty straight forward. (correct me if I'm wrong) I want to nurture his excitement, but don't want to spend where we don't need to.

TIA for advice.

I'd assume there are three specs to look for

auto dim

range of view

protection level (light intensity)

Saw some high reviewed helmets on Amazon for less than 100

Big League Chew said:
I'd assume there are three specs to look for

auto dim

range of view

protection level (light intensity)

Saw some high reviewed helmets on Amazon for less than 100
Thanks. I was doing the same thing. But, it seems like a lot of the message boards say that the $50 helmet will protect your eyes as well as the $400 one. It's the added features like auto dim, solar power, weight, that add to the cost. 

Do you mean geographic? Nebraska.

Do you mean area of welding?  :shrug:   He's just starting out. 
Sorry wasn't clear. 

I thought you were a Philly area guy. My company is hiring welders. I'm still looking for a few.

I don't know enough about the questions you are asking. If you don't get a good enough answer by Monday I can ask one of my welding instructors for good info.

Sorry wasn't clear. 

I thought you were a Philly area guy. My company is hiring welders. I'm still looking for a few.

I don't know enough about the questions you are asking. If you don't get a good enough answer by Monday I can ask one of my welding instructors for good info.
Thanks. I don't mind spending the money if it's worth the investment. 

I had a cheaper Lincoln helmet that I bought at Home Depot.  I finally broke down and purchased a $300- Miller that has it all over my original.  Being able to fine tune the darkness and having settings for various other processes (Plasma, Cutting, etc.)  has made things much easier.  I can now tweak the settings were before I might not be able to see what I was welding.  My welding has improved and I enjoy it much more. 

Agree with Squid. You get what you pay for. Despite what someone else said, a $50 helmet is not just as good as the rest. I weld just occasionally but I still bought a $100+ auto dim. 

If your son is serious about this as a possible career ask the instructors what is best. You only get one set of eyes. Also, there are other factors such as lighter weight when you wear it all day, etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread