What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Evans - future potential (1 Viewer)

Hankmoody

Footballguy
Need some input on this guy.  He's putting up massive numbers - is he a legit talent, or is this just jag-lb-in-right-situation filling in for Vigil?  Vigil was 3rd round pick so I buy into his talent a lot more but can Evans cloud this up?  This is a beautiful situation with just Burfict and Vigil playing three downs like they have most of the year.  That whole thing becomes a mess if a 3rd LB gets involved.

LBs Jordan Evans, Vincent Rey and Kevin Minter ranked 65th, 66th, and 67th out of 69 ranked LBs this week on PFF.

I've been thinking about this as a Vigil owner in dynasty. It's tough to know - I don't put any stock in PFF grades, and all the Bengals LBs seem to grade poorly outside of Burfict, so I don't know if that means they're all terrible or the scheme makes them look bad for whatever PFF are doing. In any case, I have liked Vigil a lot and viewed him as a key dynasty piece, but reading through some Bengals fan boards, most fans think he's pretty bad and want him replaced (or moved to the weak side, where he performed better). He's seen as a liability.

I haven't watched many Bengals games so I don't know if that's true but you kind of don't think about it as long as a guy is racking up tackles. I don't know what the Bengals think of Vigil, but from what I've been reading the last couple of weeks, they do seem pretty high on Evans and plenty of people liked him pre-draft and saw him as a value pick, so I'm trying to find a way to keep him on my roster in the off-season, even though I own Vigil as well and there are other LBs I'd also like to stash. I do like it when guys get a brief opportunity and they put up IDP stats though - not everyone does that and Evans has. Whether he's actually played well doing that from an NFL perspective, I don't know.

Having said that, It's hard to see a path to consistent IDP value for him, at least next year. I expect Minter and Rey won't be kept, but Vigil and Burfict you'd think will be there and that's plenty of competition for tackles. So it depends on where he plays I guess. He at least would have good injury value if one of those two missed time - but as always, depends on the depth of your league. 

Evans is a legit nfl talent, but if/when burfict and vigil are healthy they 1A and 1B...period! Rey, Minter, and Evans can fight for the scraps but in redraft and dyyno’s I want Vigil (younger and not a nut sandwich like Burfict) and Burfict...then it’s a big gap to the other 3 and I have them all pretty even. Rey and Minter because I think they’ll have a chance to start elsewhere in ‘18 or ‘19 and Evans because he becomes the matakevich of the bengals if Burfict or Vigil go down over the next few years!

Evans is a legit nfl talent, but if/when burfict and vigil are healthy they 1A and 1B...period! Rey, Minter, and Evans can fight for the scraps but in redraft and dyyno’s I want Vigil (younger and not a nut sandwich like Burfict) and Burfict...then it’s a big gap to the other 3 and I have them all pretty even. Rey and Minter because I think they’ll have a chance to start elsewhere in ‘18 or ‘19 and Evans because he becomes the matakevich of the bengals if Burfict or Vigil go down over the next few years!
That's the thing.  I am a big believer in LB handcuffs in my leagues, but based on available roster spots this doesn't really help me if I don't have Vigil.  I don't mind dedicating a roster spot to a guy like this if I know it's protecting me from an injury to a starter but I can't hold a guy that won't help me if my starter goes down.  And of course the only league I do have Vigil in is the only league Evans is already rostered.

I will pick him up short term on min bid for a league I'm contending in and am currently thin at LB, but he's not going to look like a long term option to me.

Haven't really tracked much on this guy.  Seems unlikely with Brown, Burfict, Vigil and the likes of Rey and Jefferson.  Maybe I'm mistaken.

Topic was created last year so before additions of Brown and Jefferson but even so not sure their additions mean much - teams are always looking to fill the roster up.  Brown's only a one year deal which to me says wonders about what the NFL thinks of him and Jefferson was what a 3rd round pick with 1st round talent but career-threatening attitude concerns?

Users who are viewing this thread