What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Billie Jean King v. Bobby Riggs, Part II - this time with punching (1 Viewer)

Henry Ford

Footballguy
I'm sure that everyone knows about (if not remembers) the "battle of the sexes" tennis match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs, which King won in straight sets, in 1973.

Apparently some large number of internet tough guys has been claiming that any man would beat any woman in MMA fighting.  One ToughGuy claimed that him vs. a female pro MMA fighter would be 80/20 him.  As a result, Mcdojo life set up a spar - Anna McCauley Dempster, 7-0 amateur MMA fighter, vs. Kristopher Zylinkski, internet troll.  January 6.

Very much looking forward to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
i recall the Williams sisters blagging on about being able to be competitive vs the men ... then some random tennis dude (think he was ranked 150th on the men's side) overheard, and accepted the challenge.  beat them both straight sets, iirc, while only dropping two games ... and he was supposedly drinking some brews prior to. 

dunno, guess it fits here  :shrug:

i recall the Williams sisters blagging on about being able to be competitive vs the men ... then some random tennis dude (think he was ranked 150th on the men's side) overheard, and accepted the challenge.  beat them both straight sets, iirc, while only dropping two games ... and he was supposedly drinking some brews prior to. 

Karsten Braasch, and he was 203rd at the time.

Yeah, he was also apparently smoking in the changeovers, from what I heard. Good work. 

This should be interesting, though. He was a pro athlete, at the top of of his game.  I wouldn't want to do something like this in my current state. I've been hit by women before. It's no fun. This guy could very well lose it for mankind if he's out of shape. 

3rd degree black belt here... with an amateur record of 0-2 :topcat:  in the ring (full contact kickboxing)

My money is on the chick choking him out...

:o

ya mean it had zero to do with him being 87 ####### years old? 

oh, and wasn't it Billie Jean Moffat at that point?  the velvet union with the Giants "pitcher" ? (NTTAWWT) 

:popcorn:
Yeah, it just cracks me up that there's evidence of mob involvement in the betting aspect of the exhibition.

Also, I had no recall of Billie Jean Moffat. 

Hwarf.  

99% of women losing to 99% of men is not at all accurate. I look forward to seeing this guy get smashed.

oh, and wasn't it Billie Jean Moffat at that point?  the velvet union with the Giants "pitcher" ? (NTTAWWT) 

55.  He was 55 years old.

Moffitt was her birth name, and she married Larry King (not that Larry King) long before this match.

Good on ole Billie Jean for beating a nearly 60 year old man wielding a wooden racket and being bought by the mob. Remember the Alamo!  

Whooohooo!  

3rd degree black belt here... with an amateur record of 0-2 :topcat:  in the ring (full contact kickboxing)

Internet troll vs pro MMA woman, taking the woman

3rd degree black belt male, average size 190 pounds, average height 6' against a 5'7 135 pound woman MMA fighter, I'm taking the male belt 10 out of 10 times. 

Internet troll vs pro MMA woman, taking the woman

3rd degree black belt male, average size 190 pounds, average height 6' against a 5'7 135 pound woman MMA fighter, I'm taking the male belt 10 out of 10 times. 
I'll probably take him against a 5'7 135-pound male MMA fighter, too.  55 lbs is a lot to give up.

1998: Karsten Braasch vs. the Williams sisters[edit]

Another event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open[51] between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager".[52][51] The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park,[53] after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two shandies. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2.[54] Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun".[55] Braasch said the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier, and that men put spin on the ball that the women can't handle. The Williams sisters adjusted their claim to beating men outside the top 350
All of the bold :lmao:

https://www.google.com/search?q=karsten+braasch&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjh5LiPqoXYAhVCHxoKHc4_DjQQ_AUICygC&biw=1276&bih=668

This guy :lmao:  

All of the bold :lmao:
The Williams sisters are delusional. I played D1 tennis and would have been able to hang with the two of them in my prime. In tennis, there is very little skill difference between the top ranked player and #100...the difference is almost all mental toughness. I would think most top college men players would beat the living snot of the Williams ladies.

FWIW, if this imaginary fight actually did happen and this guy somehow won (which I doubt), I'd think that is basically the end of women's MMA. 

55.  He was 55 years old.
it was more than just an age difference.  There were rule difference as well.

King was allowed to use the full double court and Riggs was limited to only a single serve.  I am not a big tennis guy but I have watched and played enough to know these are massive advantages.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

King was allowed to use the full double court and Riggs was limited to only a single serve.  I am not a big tennis guy but I have watched and played enough to know these are massive advantages.
That's false.  

how big is the dude?   If he weighs more than 160 (which apparently is her weight)  then I will take him in a total ####### bloodbath

i should temper my original comment based on said dude actually being in shape.   IF he's not in shape he'll get crushed 

but if he's in shape,  I think he will destroy her quickly

That was the Connors-Navratilova match, except Martina was allowed to hit into half of the doubles alleys.

i should temper my original comment based on said dude actually being in shape.   IF he's not in shape he'll get crushed 

I've sparred with plenty of guys "in shape" that had zero training or fighting experience... They aren't running a marathon... She still wins if he's never even hit a heavy bag...

I've sparred with plenty of guys "in shape" that had zero training or fighting experience... They aren't running a marathon... She still wins if he's never even hit a heavy bag...
Probably true. I'm assuming this guy running his mouth had some experience in MMA or similar combat based on his comments.

If not, he gonna get embarrassed

there are many different kinds of being in shape. 

If this guy goes to the gym, jogs and plays hoop regularly (ie your typical in shape male) I bet he is going to find himself gassed very quickly when fighting in mma.

there are many different kinds of being in shape. 

If this guy goes to the gym, jogs and plays hoop regularly (ie your typical in shape male) I bet he is going to find himself gassed very quickly when fighting in mma.
probably true-  like i said he talked game like he's familiar with the sport and assuming he has training i think he will crush her with brute strength.   Even if he's just "gym" guy but he's in pretty good shape, he stands a good chance if he can get off early and do major damage, otherwise if it goes past 2 minutes he's a dead man and she'll choke him out

I know a guy that was into the sport in the late 80s early 90s. I always thought it was too bad the sport never really took off. 

Users who are viewing this thread