What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GET BALLSY......."SEMI-FINALS WEEK" VERSION (1 Viewer)

TZMarkie

Footballguy
 So here we are.

Many of us have found ourselves in the semis. We thought and researched all offseason. We listened to the podcasts, we watched the preseason, we made strong waiver moves all season long, made trades, gambled and for some of us  and its come down to the fantasy playoffs.

Now is the time where you just "play your studs" and hope. NOT SO FAST . :ph34r:

Now is where the "game within a game" moves happen, and the real sharks come to the forefront. Its these "game within a game" plays, and scenarios that I find just as interesting as common fantasy plays, if not more interesting.

This is the time where you make the bold "Hail Mary Play", (when the situation warrants it) in an effort to beat what looks to be a superior team. Sometimes you make a longshot play, in hopes for a huge return.

Call your shot. If your ballsy play pays off, you outed it here first.

Here are some of mine...........

With AARON RODGERS now cleared to return, some of us have a dilemma. I lost Wentz in one .25 PPR/PPT/PPC (points per completion) league, and I nabbed Rodgers off waivers a few weeks back when someone dropped him.

But I won't be playing him this week. Nope, not on my watch. I have limited options, but I would rather risk a slightly lesser total, than a possible disaster outcome. Remember the Romo collarbone re-injury. I won't play Rodgers this week, as if he goes out there and takes a hit, I don't want my championship aspirations to go down in a crumpled heap along with him. (that aside, if he gets through this week healthy, I will likely roll him out with confidence next week) :thumbup:

BALLSY PLAY #1 - I'm rolling out BLAKE BORTLES over AARON RODGERS in one league.    Some of you may be thinking along the lines of me, and don't view this as a ballsy play, I see it as more of a "risk avoidance" play. Bortles has looked pretty good lately, and its a great matchup as well. Still, sitting AARON RODGERS with playoffs on the line takes some balls.

There are a ton of scenarios that could fit this category. SITTING KAREEM HUNT over player XXX, or  STARTING JOSH GORDON over top end WR XXX. STARTING DESHONE KIZER over QB XXX .    There are many "bold plays", I need to look back over my playoff rosters and see any others I am going to fire up, once I decide.

Who ya got?.......what are your scenarios?

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm rolling out Rodgers with confidence over Keenum and Winston. That's the guts play, injury be damned. He can win you a week just by being Aaron Rodgers.  

I'm rolling out Gordon and Alfred Morris and Tyreek Hill over Crowell and Mixon at this point. 

Thielen is a no-brainer for me.

Picked up NO DEF playing against Bryce Petty or Hackenberg. 

Rolling out Mason Crosby, too.   

I'm the opposite view - I have Rodgers and Stafford, its the Championship game this week and I'm facing Brady - to me I think I need that ballsy swing even though Rodgers over Stafford in any other scenario is a duh move. 

BALLS OF NEED. Each ball more horrible than the last

My WR3 spot

Torrey Smith
Lafell

Ginn
Decker
K Cole

Starting demerits Thomas on Thursday over Funches and Robby Anderson.

Russell Wilson (against the Rams) over Drew Brees. 

Thinking of playing Adam Shaheen at TE. Hear me out:

- Last week he had 5 targets, 4 catches 44 yards and 1 TD

- Week 11 vs Detroit he had 4 targets, 41 yards and 1 TD. 

Here are the last 5 games for TEs against Detroit: OJ Howard 4/54/1, Watson 3/24/1, Rudolph 4/63/2, Shaheen 4/41/1, Devalve 4/70

Benching Evans & Diggs for Kupp & Collins or Westbrook as of now.

Here are the last 5 games for TEs against Detroit: OJ Howard 4/54/1, Watson 3/24/1, Rudolph 4/63/2, Shaheen 4/41/1, Devalve 4/70
I'm debating a play on him as well.

In my biggest league, I had ASJ, and have been stubbornly rolling him out week after week. I watched in disgust over the weeks as he had several TDs overturned, penalties negating several bigger plays etc.

Then before last week I told myself "I'm not dropping him now, he is playing Denver, who is THE WORST IN THE LEAGUE against TEs, and he got me a slick .10 yes, a tenth of a point . One catch for 1 yard on 4 targets. (FWIW, I also had Sterling Shepard who got me a tidy .70 too, and PITT defense for  -1.00.... yet I still won on the back of my Big Ben and AB stack)  Needless to say ASJ is now on the wire.

I debated several wire options, including Ricky Seals-Jones and Ebron. Its ultimately come down to these three, and Shaheen is right alongside the other two in my mind. So Shaheen is in play for me as well, I'm just not sure I will go that route. I even thought about slotting in JESSE JAMES in that league, but that would really take some balls. I hate tying  a fantasy team to multiple players from one NFL team. A bad day for the NFL team  virtually guarantees a loss.

I'd like to think Trubisky likes Shaheen , his productivity seems to be growing....... its a close call for sure.

Good stuff guys.... keep the ballsy plays flowing. I'd like to hear the reasoning behind some of these plays too, if it really seems like an awkward/longshot play.

TZM

thinking of rolling out Nick Freaking Foles over Brees.....I expect the saints to blow out NYJ early and often, lots of running and def from New Orleans....

thinking of rolling out Nick Freaking Foles over Brees.....I expect the saints to blow out NYJ early and often, lots of running and def from New Orleans....
I think Foles is going to explode behind that offense against the 32nd ranked defense.  I just grabbed him off the wire to add to my conundrum...lol

I'm rolling out Rodgers with confidence over Keenum and Winston. That's the guts play, injury be damned. He can win you a week just by being Aaron Rodgers.  

I'm rolling out Gordon and Alfred Morris and Tyreek Hill over Crowell and Mixon at this point. 

Thielen is a no-brainer for me.

Picked up NO DEF playing against Bryce Petty or Hackenberg. 

Rolling out Mason Crosby, too.   
I think you are nuts if you are starting rodgers this week on the road vs a very amped up Carolina Panther team.  But thats just me.

Might sit Brandin Cooks. Options (start 3 WR and likely will Flex a 4th):

1. Keenan Allen @ KC
  2. Josh Gordon BAL
  3. Devin Funchess GB
  4. JuJu Smith-Schuster NE
  5. Robert Woods @ SEA
Basically, I feel like my boom/bust WR2 is my 6th best option this weekend @ PIT. But who knows, maybe it's BAL-PIT style shootout. Gonna mull it over for a few days.

I think you are nuts if you are starting rodgers this week on the road vs a very amped up Carolina Panther team.  But thats just me.
Why is it nuts? If he plays 4 quarters (No reason he shouldn't) His floor is probably the highest or second highest in the league. His ceiling is definitely in the top 5. 

packer_junkie said:
Why is it nuts? If he plays 4 quarters (No reason he shouldn't) His floor is probably the highest or second highest in the league. His ceiling is definitely in the top 5. 
I'm facing Rodgers this week and I'm hoping for some rust in his first live action in 6 weeks (or whatever the time frame).  

Have one of those "good" problems.....still stressful though.

Probably going to have to bench Jamaal Williams.

I have him, Fournette, Howard, and Drake for 3 spots.

Unfortunately, someone has to sit.

Ilov80s said:

I've presently got Shaheen The Machine in my active lineup in the 16-team league where I've been effectively whiffing on Tight End all season long since drafting Ebron.  Dumped Brate to the wire.  Not buying Ebron's usage last week.  Olsen is playing cheerleader on my bench.  There was very little else on the wire outside of Garrett Celek and Marcedes Lewis... although I see that ASJ is now there as well.

I've presently got Shaheen The Machine in my active lineup in the 16-team league where I've been effectively whiffing on Tight End all season long since drafting Ebron.  Dumped Brate to the wire.  Not buying Ebron's usage last week.  Olsen is playing cheerleader on my bench.  There was very little else on the wire outside of Garrett Celek and Marcedes Lewis... although I see that ASJ is now there as well.
I have Watson and Shaheen. I thought I got a steal on Olsen falling to the back of the top TE tier and slipping in my draft. Replaced him Clay. Once he got hurt it's been a rotating dumpsterfire.

Similar boat here, albeit with different players.  Ingram, Gordon, Collins, Perine for three spots.  Perine seems the logical out (based on past two weeks) , but then he is the sole WAS RB healthy (besides the guys they picked up this week).

WR, likely going D. Thomas, but have Jordy, Hogan, and Woods to consider in the mix.  Was really hoping Hogan would show well, but nervous there.  Jordy with Rodgers even tougher to pass on.  Plus do not like Thursday night games, but IND fielding rookie CBs...Siemian has to be able to beat them, right?

I have Kelce and the first time he played LAC this year he had 1 catch for 1 yard.  LAC also has allowed just 3 TDs to the TE position this year.

Hunter Henry is my backup and my opponent has Rivers.

I'm thinking of benching Kelce for Henry.

Am I over thinking this and getting too cute?

I have Kelce and the first time he played LAC this year he had 1 catch for 1 yard.  LAC also has allowed just 3 TDs to the TE position this year.

i knew the LAC TE' stats... but was somewhat shocked FBG's rankers each seem to have kelce as a top ten WR/TE play this week. personally, i'd say it's being too cute, but if you feel its the right play do it and live with the results.

for reference, i ended up with gronk and kelce in one league so i dont need to start kelce, but i am starting him over westbrook and a couple other fringe wr3 types

packer_junkie said:
Rust

tough defense

is he 100%?

on the road 

Winston in over Cam. Crazy but Cam hasn’t thrown over 200 yds for four or five weeks and Winston has been ok and could blow up on MNF. Don’t trust Cam. He always lets me down and still keep drafting him every year.

Dez in over Cooks for my flex. Cooks has been a bust the last two with a brutal floor. This is a 1pt ppr league. Dez playing Oakland who flat out gives it up to WR’s. 

Gordon, Michael Thomas, and Nuk are my other three WR’s. Tough choices and I’m sure I’ll get them all wrong. 

Winston in over Cam. Crazy but Cam hasn’t thrown over 200 yds for four or five weeks and Winston has been ok and could blow up on MNF. Don’t trust Cam. He always lets me down and still keep drafting him every year.

Dez in over Cooks for my flex. Cooks has been a bust the last two with a brutal floor. This is a 1pt ppr league. Dez playing Oakland who flat out gives it up to WR’s. 

Gordon, Michael Thomas, and Nuk are my other three WR’s. Tough choices and I’m sure I’ll get them all wrong. 
Cam plays GB. GB is terrible. GB is missing two of there top 3 corners. GB is terrible. Cam is playing GB. 

overthinking this

Agree with the above poster..... Drake might win you the week. (or put up very strong numbers at least)  That kid looked good on MNF.

I'm actually pretty surprised that not many here are talking about "ballsy plays" at TE. I would have thought it would have been many more responses with TE scenarios.

Its been such a barren wasteland at TE, its just a "pick your poison dart-throw" if you are streaming.

I ultimately decided on Ebron in my biggest league, but its still a sick feeling. (Imagine your fantasy hopes in Ebron's hands)  :wall:

Actually this year has been so pathetic at TE, I have had several owners in one big league send me messages and talking about eliminating the TE position in one league altogether.

I do have Doyle going in 2 spots tonight. While its not a great feeling with Doyle, its mostly a sigh-of-relief "well who in the Hell else are you going to start there?" feeling. It wouldn't surprise me if he puts up a complete doughnut, OR 8 for 115 and a TD or two.  As a former ASJ owner, I will take anything I can get~!  :ph34r:

Keep 'em coming.

TZM

Agree with the above poster..... Drake might win you the week. (or put up very strong numbers at least)  That kid looked good on MNF.

I'm actually pretty surprised that not many here are talking about "ballsy plays" at TE. I would have thought it would have been many more responses with TE scenarios.

Its been such a barren wasteland at TE, its just a "pick your poison dart-throw" if you are streaming.

I ultimately decided on Ebron in my biggest league, but its still a sick feeling. (Imagine your fantasy hopes in Ebron's hands)  :wall:

Actually this year has been so pathetic at TE, I have had several owners in one big league send me messages and talking about eliminating the TE position in one league altogether.

I do have Doyle going in 2 spots tonight. While its not a great feeling with Doyle, its mostly a sigh-of-relief "well who in the Hell else are you going to start there?" feeling. It wouldn't surprise me if he puts up a complete doughnut, OR 8 for 115 and a TD or two.  As a former ASJ owner, I will take anything I can get~!  :ph34r:

Keep 'em coming.

TZM
TE is my weakness on 1 team playing in the semis. My choices are:

J Thomas

Brate

Njoku

I think I'm down to flipping a coin between Thomas & Njoku

Why do people assume Rodgers will be rusty? Was Foles rusty when he came in this past week? 
Was Foles coming off an injury and not practicing for x number of weeks.  AR may very well come back and not miss a beat but after being out for so long with an injury and the Packers modifying the offense in his absence I think its rather logical to assume he could be shaky early on and perhaps the entire game if the Panthers are getting to him.  But if he is the choice between say Bortles or Case then yeah I may roll the dice.  If you have better option like Rivers or ben or even Cam then I would give some serious thought,

I have lots of good options that I haven't always started the right guy but it hasn't really mattered.  I'm nervous it will this week :)

Feel like I'm chasing points but picked up JStew and am playing over McKinnon and Duke as my RB2 in a PPR. Doing a coin toss at TE and slotted in Engram over JimmyG. Running with Rodgers as well over Alex Smith.

Would really like to fit Woods in my lineup but already rolling with Thielen, Tyreek, Gordon, and Demaryius.

I've been saying I will sit Evans, but I think I gotta play him. I have a feeling he goes off plus it's a MNF game so if I'm behind after Sunday, it's nice to still have hope.

Was Foles coming off an injury and not practicing for x number of weeks.  AR may very well come back and not miss a beat but after being out for so long with an injury and the Packers modifying the offense in his absence I think its rather logical to assume he could be shaky early on and perhaps the entire game if the Panthers are getting to him.  But if he is the choice between say Bortles or Case then yeah I may roll the dice.  If you have better option like Rivers or ben or even Cam then I would give some serious thought,
Rodgers has been practicing for like 3 weeks now, and he is about 1000 times better than Foles. 

Wondering about shaheen in a good matchup vs engram in a tough one.  I try not to view how engram’s opponents fare against tight ends as a reason to start or sit him, BC frankly he’s more like a super bulked up fast wr with great route running, and they use him as both we and te. 

But the way the giants offense has been playing is what scares me.  The o line doesn’t give their qb any time.  They couldn’t hold up against Dallas front 7 last week.  Imagine what philly’s front 7 will do to them?  

I feel like Eli is going to find himself on his #### a lot this week and engram will post a fairly unspectacular stat line similar to what he’s been posting lately.  

Meanwhile, shaheen is a talented rookie te, who spent most of the season building rapport with Trubisky, first on the 2nd team offense and now as a starter.  And we all know that the TE is a green qbs best friend.  And Chicago doesn’t have much talent at we.   Plus we have a sample size of shaheen producing and the matchup is sweet. 

Hmmmm

Reports are, that he's been throwing for at least 2 weeks and that he's been preparing w Receivers for Carolina for at least two weeks

Users who are viewing this thread