What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Checked myself into a hospital clinic this morning (1 Viewer)

bosoxs45

Footballguy
Depression sucks. Mental illness is so draining and sucks too.Work has become too overwhelming and have talked to my supervisor about the situation. Its the hardest thing to admit when you need help too. I made the plunge and checked myself into a day program. Hopefully things will get better soon.

ETA, thank you for the encouragement and support. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Depression sucks. Its the hardest thing to admit when you need help too. I made the plunge and checked myself into a day program. Hopefully things will get better soon.
huge and great step in the right direction. IMO, the real killer is getting stuck in that place (the depression, not the clinic) and letting it pull you down. taking control in whatever manner is massive- actively seeking help for it, even more so. good luck wiht the clinic, bosox. and please don't hesitate to use the FFA for venting, help, sounding-board, whatever... lots of caring and smaht people in here have your back.

When I was in my 20s and heard about people being depressed at this time of the year I just did not understand why.   Now as I have lost my parents and other family members, seen friends who have had major losses and issues in their family I totally understand.

The first step is the most difficult one but you took it to get healthy again.   I Wish you well....

You are halfway there taking the steps for help. This time of year is rough on people who don't suffer from clinical depression. It's dark early and cold on top of holiday stuff, much less adding to it lost loved ones, etc. And clinical depression and anxiety which go hand in hand is a disease, a treatable one.

Sending good vibes, thoughts and prayers your way. You have a family here who cares. Xxx 

Be strong buddy.

Some of this is in your control (wanting help, taking steps to get help, making the decision to get better), and some of it isn't. The steps you took today will put the part that's outside your control into the hands of those who are best equipped to help. 

Life is ebbs and flows, when your ebbing try to remember the flows. 

If you ever need to bat it around, esp if treatment aint trackin', i'm a PM away. Admitting, trying, doing what's necessary is more than half the way out, though - proud of you.
Same here, GB. I'm a PM away if you need to kick something around. I battle it everyday and a little support goes a long way.

GL, bosox. That's a huge step.

If you get the chance, please keep us updated with how things are going.

It takes guts but you're doing the right thing.    Sending positive vibes out your way -- you're going to be fine.

Good luck to you. Hope you find what you need, and get yourself out of the pit of misery.

:thumbup:

Well, I informed my boss about a leave of absence. Also had to withdraw from school and possibly go back at a different time. 
I can only imagine how tough that was. Long-term I think you'll be in a much better place to focus on work and school though.

Well, I informed my boss about a leave of absence. Also had to withdraw from school and possibly go back at a different time. 
I hope this doesn't sound trite but I look at it this way - it's hard to win races with flat tires.

IOW, if you're not equipped to run the current race then you need to get repaired so you can run and win the NEXT race. 

The biggest reason I see that people's lives don't get better is because they spend so much time wishing that their current circumstances were different - but doing nothing to change things.

The next biggest reason is that their ego won't allow them to say "You know, I don't think I can figure this out on my own. Could you give me a hand?"

Kudos to you for deciding to make things better and asking for help in doing so. More people should be so brave.

My wife has suffered from depression for more than a decade - but I can tell you there has marked improvement since she began the road to healing. 

You know the pain is real - I want you to know that others know it to.  Depression is not a failure on anyone's part or something to 'just get over'.  It's real, and #### it it's hard to go through. But you need to know that things can and will get better for you.  Focus on yourself - school/work and everything else will be there.  Just focus on yourself.

I hope this doesn't sound trite but I look at it this way - it's hard to win races with flat tires.

IOW, if you're not equipped to run the current race then you need to get repaired so you can run and win the NEXT race. 

The biggest reason I see that people's lives don't get better is because they spend so much time wishing that their current circumstances were different - but doing nothing to change things.

The next biggest reason is that their ego won't allow them to say "You know, I don't think I can figure this out on my own. Could you give me a hand?"

Kudos to you for deciding to make things better and asking for help in doing so. More people should be so brave.
sage words of wisdom, as always, from Mr. Dufresne.

You treat this and you will go back a different person. Takes time and daily work. Rooting for you! Looking forward to the I'm doing better post! Xxx

The guts it takes to not only take the step but tell a bunch of strangers on the internet you are doing it proves you are going to knock this out of the park.  You are obviously a very strong person.

Sometimes this place sucks and drives me nuts.  This is not one of those times.  This is one of the threads that makes me proud to be a part of the fbg community.  Thanks to all of you for that.

My wife has suffered from depression for more than a decade - but I can tell you there has marked improvement since she began the road to healing. 

You know the pain is real - I want you to know that others know it to.  Depression is not a failure on anyone's part or something to 'just get over'.  It's real, and #### it it's hard to go through. But you need to know that things can and will get better for you.  Focus on yourself - school/work and everything else will be there.  Just focus on yourself.
I’m in the same boat. My wife has battled depression for our entire 25 year marriage. But she’s active in her treatment and is doing well.

Hang in there Bosox. You got a lot of brethren (and a sister or two) on this board pulling for you.

This reminds me of the adage regarding alcoholism: “It’s a lot tougher to get off the stool than it is to stay on it”.

Keep fighting bosox.

This reminds me of the adage regarding alcoholism: “It’s a lot tougher to get off the stool than it is to stay on it”.

Keep fighting bosox.
Man great adage. Here is another one from some of my recovery experience: "The right choice is usually the hardest choice."

Depression sucks. Work has become too overwhelming and have talked to my supervisor about the situation. Its the hardest thing to admit when you need help too. I made the plunge and checked myself into a day program. Hopefully things will get better soon.

ETA, thank you for the encouragement and support. 
Good luck :thumbup:

Good luck, Bosox. Seeking treatment for an issue is not a bad thing, and if you need to talk, PM me, and I'll be happy to talk.

Update: feeling a tad better doing a clinical program for depression at a local medical center. It’s hard finding a good therapist and right meds for depression/ocd. I took up hiking, cooking, yoga and painting in the meantime. Thanks for the support! You guys are an awesome community of people.

Im hoping to get back to work ASAP doing archeology stuff.

Update: feeling a tad better doing a clinical program for depression at a local medical center. It’s hard finding a good therapist and right meds for depression/ocd. I took up hiking, cooking, yoga and painting in the meantime. Thanks for the support! You guys are an awesome community of people.
really good to hear!

it's sounds like you're on the right path with all of this. especially, don't let yourself get stuck with a doc or meds that you don't think are working for you- constantly be your own advocate and keep striving to find something that works.

GL, boyo. Ever need a different take on getting in fronta yo ####, i'm a holla away.

Weren't you exploring a move not too long ago? Geographical cures dont work on their own, but sometimes a change can be meaningful.

GL, boyo. Ever need a different take on getting in fronta yo ####, i'm a holla away.

Weren't you exploring a move not too long ago? Geographical cures dont work on their own, but sometimes a change can be meaningful.

Yea but the logistics didn’t make sense to move rn. I like western mass bc the fast pace of city living was too much.

Users who are viewing this thread