What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Class for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (1 Viewer)

Mr. Ected

Footballguy
Apologize if this is a Honda...

What are thoughts on 2018 Class for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

YOUR OFFICIAL ROCK HALL CLASS OF 2018 ROSTER.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is proud to announce that 5 artists from the ballot are included in the Performer Category and 1 individual is recognized with an Award for Early Influence.

YOUR CLASS OF 2018 INDUCTEES ARE:

Performer Category:

• Bon Jovi

• The Cars

• Dire Straits

• The Moody Blues

• Nina Simone

Award for Early Influence:

• Sister Rosetta Tharpe 

The 33rd Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, presented by Klipsch Audio, will take place on Saturday, April 14, 2018 in Cleveland. Ticket on-sale dates will be announced in January. The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2018 Induction Ceremony will again have its television premiere on HBO, and a radio broadcast on SiriusXM. Broadcast details will be announced in early 2018.

Was listening to Dan Patrick show and they had brilliant idea for presentation of The Cars. Have Pheobe Cates do a walk-up to 'Moving in Stereo .'

Last edited by a moderator:
As I posted in the Phish thread, I think Bon Jovi is the strongest of this group. I heard a Nina Simone song on the radio this morning and it was a pretty song. Not even close to being rock and roll, though. 

• Bon Jovi

Is that some sort of joke?
I'm not sure why they wouldn't be included.  They've sold over 100 million records.  While record sales are only an indicator of popularity (not quality) and popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity, the R&RHOF hasn't exactly set the bar high up to this point.

As far as where the R&RHoF has set the bar for enshrinement, Bon Jovi certainly meets it.

I walk these streets
A loaded six-string on my back
I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back
I been everywhere, still, I'm standing tall
I've seen a million faces
And I've rocked them all

I'm not sure why they wouldn't be included.  They've sold over 100 million records.  While record sales are only an indicator of popularity (not quality) and popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity, the R&RHOF hasn't exactly set the bar high up to this point.

As far as where the R&RHoF has set the bar for enshrinement, Bon Jovi certainly meets it.
Yeah, I know.

But I just feel compelled to point out how crappy they were/are whenever I can.

? i dont wanna start any Blasphemous Rumors/but i think them voters got a sick sense of humor/and when they vote/they vote in Bon Joe-ohohoh-vee ?

They just can't get enough votes.

No reason to take it personal, jesus.
I was born with the wrong sign
In the wrong house
With the wrong ascendancy
I took the wrong road
That led to the wrong tendencies
I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
On the wrong day of the wrong week
I used the wrong method with the wrong technique

Wrong

Wrong

There's something wrong with me chemically
Something wrong with me inherently
The wrong mix in the wrong genes
I reached the wrong ends by the wrong means
It was the wrong plan
In the wrong hands
With the wrong theory for the wrong man
The wrong lies, on the wrong vibes
The wrong questions with the wrong replies

Wrong

Wrong

I was marching to the wrong drum
With the wrong scum
Pissing out the wrong energy
Using all the wrong lines
And the wrong signs
With the wrong intensity
I was on the wrong page of the wrong book
With the wrong rendition of the wrong hook
Made the wrong move, every wrong night
With the wrong tune played till it sounded right yeah

Wrong

Wrong

Too long

Wrong

In the wrong house
I took the wrong road

Wrong

In the wrong house
I took the wrong road

Wrong

Wrong

There's something wrong with me chemically
Something wrong with me inherently
The wrong mix in the wrong genes
I reached the wrong ends by the wrong means
It was the wrong plan
In the wrong hands
With the wrong theory for the wrong man
The wrong lies, on the wrong vibes
The wrong questions with the wrong replies

Wrong

Wrong

I was marching to the wrong drum
With the wrong scum
Pissing out the wrong energy
Using all the wrong lines
And the wrong signs
With the wrong intensity
I was on the wrong page of the wrong book
With the wrong rendition of the wrong hook
Made the wrong move, every wrong night
With the wrong tune played till it sounded right yeah

Wrong

Wrong

Too long

Wrong

In the wrong house
I took the wrong road

Wrong
Smiths HoF snub down?

(should go in before DM) 

So you're saying they were already halfway there?

Disagree but thats what makes music great right?

DM are the kings of synth rock, still selling out arenas to this day.  DM and NIN should both be in
i'm a big fan of Gahan and Gore and the boys, not slagging them at all - they certainly deserve a seat at the table - no shame in being listed behind the acts i mentioned  :shrug:

They get mocked for not being a real band but the Monkees:

• Sold lots of records
  • Performed live, playing their own instruments
  • All four members did vocals, played instruments on records
  • Every LP contained songs penned by a member of the band
  • Each member of the band wrote songs 
  • They produced or co-produced some of their own tracks
  • Had an influential TV show
Their music also holds up very well today.  They'll never get in but they should IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

• Sold lots of records
Their music also holds up very well today.  They'll never get in but they should IMO.
see, i joked earlier about the Jackson 5, but ... here is a perfect example (Monkees) of a band who did it better - Jacksons didn't really play their instruments, nor did they write anything - quite frankly, they are the biggest ####### joke up in that monstrosity, especially considering groups like the Monkees get snubbed for being "prefab"

see, i joked earlier about the Jackson 5, but ... here is a perfect example (Monkees) of a band who did it better - Jacksons didn't really play their instruments, nor did they write anything - quite frankly, they are the biggest ####### joke up in that monstrosity, especially considering groups like the Monkees get snubbed for being "prefab"
My biggest problem with the HOF is that a lot of inductees aren't rock and roll.  I can understand letting in the early blues artists that influenced rock but artists like Public Enemy, NWA, etc.  aren't rock and roll in any shape, way or form.  

Any reason the Jackson 5 wouldn't fall into the same category as the Supreme's?  Or do you think they don't belong either?

Any reason the Jackson 5 wouldn't fall into the same category as the Supreme's?  Or do you think they don't belong either?
nuanced here, but ... none of the girl groups/doo-*** acts ever fronted as a "legit" band like the J5 did - ergo, in juxtaposition to the Monkees mention, yes, they deserved to be outed as an horrendous inductee.  

nuanced here, but ... none of the girl groups/doo-*** acts ever fronted as a "legit" band like the J5 did - ergo, in juxtaposition to the Monkees mention, yes, they deserved to be outed as an horrendous inductee.  
:shrug: I get the nuance, but don't see the ire.  The Jackson 5, like the Supreme's, were fronted by a massively talented individual and supported by others of modest to no talent.  A group is a group, to me, whether some part of their "act" is fake or not.

• Sold lots of records
And their lead singer was just elected Senator from Alabama.

I walk these streets
A loaded six-string on my back
I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back
I been everywhere, still, I'm standing tall
I've seen a million faces
And I've rocked them all
I'm not a huge fan of their music, but they deserve to be in - and JBJ has done tremendous work for communities around the country. 

That said, Runaway is a pretty kick ### tune.

To use the word of the month, RnR HoF selections have always been a bit spurrious.

Took almost a decade before Led Zep got in. That's about as "rock and roll" as it gets. Period.

Hell they even sang - err, stole - that song.

I kid. Sorta 

People #####ing about the broader definition of rock n roll is old news...should it be called something else besides rock n roll?  Yes.  Does everybody need to get over non-rock inductees, yes.

Enjoy it for what it is.

I banged many a chick with Bon Jovi in the background, for that reason I approve of their induction.

Users who are viewing this thread