What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Class for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (1 Viewer)

Pretty good show as a guy in his mid-40s. Disappointing not to have Knopfler. The Cars surprising good live. Howard Stern was memorable.

I never liked Bon Jovi thru their prime, but have been listening to them lately when we need a good drunk golf course scramble vibe...realized how many songs I like. Perfect description from the intro was  ‘a big part of the appeal was uplifting, optimistic music’. My 5 mo old son also loves Wanted DOA.

Watched part of the induction ceremony yesterday.  I got to see The Cars.  Their speeches were pretty awesome and enjoyed their performance.

I was disappointed that Mark and David Knopfler chose not to attend. I am a huge Dire Straits fan, and I would have loved to see them perform. And I think it says something about the overall institution that is the R&RHoF. One would think that if it's such a great honor and recognition, then the honorees would be chomping at the bit to attend. Just my humble opinion.

I was disappointed that Mark and David Knopfler chose not to attend. I am a huge Dire Straits fan, and I would have loved to see them perform. And I think it says something about the overall institution that is the R&RHoF. One would think that if it's such a great honor and recognition, then the honorees would be chomping at the bit to attend. Just my humble opinion.
I dunno - the hall gets its fair share of reunions and bands that really feel honored to get in (they all seem to say it wasn't a big deal to them until they get in. Then they admit "yea, this is pretty cool".) But agree - would have loved to have seen Dire Straits play.

Don't really get all the Bon Jovi hate here. Whether 80's hair bands are to your taste or not, they were as big as it got.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Skerritt said:
I decided not to buy tickets when I couldn't confirm if Mark Knopfler was going. David Knopfler decided not to attend because the Rock Hall reneged on promises to cover his traveling expenses. I think there falling out probably had something to do with neither one of them attending.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/572696/Brothers-in-arms-Dire-Straits-siblings-no-speaking-terms

Disappointing for sure. I saw Mark Knopfler a couple years ago and he puts on a great show. Not the same as seeing Dire Straits, who I last saw in 1985

Didnt want a new thread...Im not as well versed as many here, but this year's inductees seem kind of meh to me:

They are Depeche Mode, The Doobie Brothers, Whitney Houston, Nine Inch Nails, The Notorious B.I.G. and T-Rex.

Didnt want a new thread...Im not as well versed as many here, but this year's inductees seem kind of meh to me:

They are Depeche Mode, The Doobie Brothers, Whitney Houston, Nine Inch Nails, The Notorious B.I.G. and T-Rex.
Only one that I get excited about is T-Rex (finally!), but not sure what they will do for the ceremony since they've been disbanded since Marc Bolan's death 40 years ago.

Wow. I didn't think the Doobies would ever make it.

I don't know about you but when I think of great Rock and Roll I instantly think of Notorious B.I.G. and Whitney Houston.
It's clearly become the music Hall of Fame (with Rock and Roll being used very generically) - and I don't really think there's anything wrong with that. From a marketing perspective it clearly makes sense - and while I'm not a fan of Whitney Houston or B.I.G. they were surely important in their scene.

DM and NIN are two of my faves so I am happy for them.  And they are two that have heavily influenced a lot of bands over the last 30 years.  Should be in whether the HoF is a sham or not.

I don't know who T-Rex is.

Glad to see the Doobies finally get in.

Can't really argue with Whitney and Depeche Mode -- they were hugely influential even if they didn't "rock".

T-Rex and Biggie? Basically the hall is rewarding people for dying young.

Dude, T. Rex released 12 studio albums and were very influential.
One of the few bands from that era that sound like they just released their albums this year.

I wonder if NiN got the nod because Trent finally changed his antagonistic tune aboout the hall when inducting the cure last year. Seems awfully coincidental if not.

Dave Matthews Band won the fan vote by a lot, yet still didn’t make it? 

Don’t get me wrong, the R&RHOF is a sham, but don’t give the fans a vote and then totally disregard it. 
The “Fan Vote” counts as one ballot for the top 5 vote getters. There are about 900 other voters. So the fan vote counts as just over .1% of the total votes. It’s a ruse to make it seem as if the fans have a voice. 
Article from a couple years back: RRHOF Fan Vote

I have no problem with it being the music hall of fame either , just change the name. 

Michael Jordan and Babe Ruth were important to their sports but I would want them in the Pro Football Hall of Fame
Sure, but is it really that big of a deal? Does it hurt "rock and roll" any? I just look at it as a very broad interpretation of "rock music" which I also share. It's too late at this point as non-traditional rock acts have been inducted for many years now. It's really just a music hall of fame.

And your sports analogy would only really make sense if there was a rap or pop Hall of Fame and the rock Hall of Fame was still inducting Biggie, as its stands now all music is just under one roof.

Sure, but is it really that big of a deal? Does it hurt "rock and roll" any? I just look at it as a very broad interpretation of "rock music" which I also share. It's too late at this point as non-traditional rock acts have been inducted for many years now. It's really just a music hall of fame.
That's how I look at it, too. Plus, there are more genre exceptions than there are rules.

And your sports analogy would only really make sense if there was a rap or pop Hall of Fame and the rock Hall of Fame was still inducting Biggie, as its stands now all music is just under one roof.
None of it is really that big of a deal it just seems silly to call it the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame when you enshirne artists that neither did RnR nor were a big influence on it.

And we already have HoF's for Jazz, Country, Hip Hop and likely others I am not aware of.    I am guessing the Beatles and Stones aren't in any of those.

None of it is really that big of a deal it just seems silly to call it the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame when you enshirne artists that neither did RnR nor were a big influence on it.
Which of these are R&R songs? Both? Neither? Why?

Link

Link

I'm not a big hip-hop fan, but that's been the "rock and roll" part of pop music for the last 30 years. Hard to wrestle with as a boomer; believe me, I know. 

White-guys-with-guitars as the only "true" rock ran out 40 years ago. We just wouldn't let it go.

Uruk-Hai said:
Which of these are R&R songs? Both? Neither? Why?

Link

Link

I'm not a big hip-hop fan, but that's been the "rock and roll" part of pop music for the last 30 years. Hard to wrestle with as a boomer; believe me, I know. 

White-guys-with-guitars as the only "true" rock ran out 40 years ago. We just wouldn't let it go.
Sure the second song is more Rock than the first but the RnR HoF doesn't induct songs, it inducts artists.    The Beatles played a lot of genres of music but in my mind they only belong in the RnR HoF

And Hip-hop is not RnR, it is it's own genre of music.  Those artists may have a song or two that span genres but that doesn't make them RnR.

I understand:   Rock has been on the down side for at least the decade or two.  It is not dead but the prevalent style of pop music is and has been R&B, Hip-Hop and Country.   The RnR HoF are letting these other acts in because they have to in order to stay relevant.   As was said before it doesn't really matter but let's not pretend that Notorious B.I.G and Whitney Houston belong there.

Users who are viewing this thread