What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Proto-punk (1 Viewer)

Hastur

Footballguy
A few weeks ago I needed some music with a kick to get thru some very dull stuff at work. I found a Ramones collection and started with that. Their entire catalog, not just the 3-4 popular songs everyone knows, is great. The other day I picked up Iggy Pop and the Stooges collection. Wow. Just wow. 

Next up: The MC5, Death, and Television. I'm all in with Proto-Punk.  Name some others I should check out!

why don't you just play "Never Mind the Bollocks" about 75 times?  The rest is a ####ty imitation. 
Back in the 80's I was listening to the Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, etc.  It's all well and good, I'm just getting into the stuff that influenced those bands now.  Kinda like Stephen King:  If you read all his books, maybe you'd like to know who influenced his writing and discover H.P. Lovecraft.  H.P. Lovecraft will scramble your brain and make you buy a nightlight.

Yes, I'm late to the party...by several decades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes I hate genre labels and  Proto punk kind of falls into one of those times. A lot of Glam overlaps into proto 

WTGDF is PROTO punk?

you are punk or you ain't.  And if you think you are, it's the latter. 

Piss off, wankers 

I'm gonna be the giant **** here and point out the the New York Dolls were big before the Sex Pistols.  

And the Dolls were nothing without Todd producing them ...
I believe the Dolls broke up before anyone over here even heard of the Pistols 

The Dolls were nothing without Johnny Thunders

There are 6 songs you have to understand to get proto punk: Gloria by Them, 96 Tears by ? and the Mysterians, Have Love Will Travel by The Sonics,  Taste of the Same by the Bad Seeds, Shake Some Action by Flamin Groovies, and Wooly Booly by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs. LISTEN TO THOSE 6 SONGS AND BE ONE WITH THE PROTO PUNK. 

There are 6 songs you have to understand to get proto punk: Gloria by Them, 96 Tears by ? and the Mysterians, Have Love Will Travel by The Sonics,  Taste of the Same by the Bad Seeds, Shake Some Action by Flamin Groovies, and Wooly Booly by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs. LISTEN TO THOSE 6 SONGS AND BE ONE WITH THE PROTO PUNK. 
Those are all great recommendations. 

As much as I love Van Morrison and Billy Gibbons I'm not sure I can call them proto-punk.  That's more the domain of Richard Hell, Wayne Kramer, Johnny Thunders, Alice Cooper, Iggy, Lou, etc.

As much as I love Van Morrison and Billy Gibbons I'm not sure I can call them proto-punk.  That's more the domain of Richard Hell, Wayne Kramer, Johnny Thunders, Alice Cooper, Iggy, Lou, etc.
This is a great post but Them with Van definitely flirted with the edges of punk at times.Van isn't a punk by nature but his version of Gloria is as punk as 60s music ever got.

Dynaflex was a patented RCA process that allowed them to press thinner records that their competitors without loss of fidelity.

We used to have fun doing this to our Bowie, Kinks and Reed albums back in the 70s.
It is very thin without a loss in audio quality. The other vinyl I purchased this weekend was heavier. 

Got Television in the mail at 180 gram and it's just heavier.  Beach Boys' Pet Sounds is, too. 

Thanks for the info. Always appreciated.  I was wondering about that.  

It is very thin without a loss in audio quality. The other vinyl I purchased this weekend was heavier. 

Got Television in the mail at 180 gram and it's just heavier.  Beach Boys' Pet Sounds is, too. 

Thanks for the info. Always appreciated.  I was wondering about that.  
I was a vinyl junkie for years but quit cold turkey when LPs died and my kids were born.  I've lived two blocks away from a collectible vinyl store for the past 20 years and have never been inside.

I was a vinyl junkie for years but quit cold turkey when LPs died and my kids were born.  I've lived two blocks away from a collectible vinyl store for the past 20 years and have never been inside.
Wow. Cool. I just wanted something to put on my nightstand, so I got a USB turntable. There's also a use for me and punk 7"'s. That's a big reason why I did it, though I should probably go the cassette route these days.  

Anyway, always nice to have your input. 

i was there for some of it, didnt like most of it, but i dug the flaming #### outta Richard Hell

also, never knew a punk back then who wouldnt pound you for saying the Dolls were punk. rough trade Glam is what they were, no matter how influential they ended up being to punk itself

A few weeks ago I needed some music with a kick to get thru some very dull stuff at work. I found a Ramones collection and started with that. Their entire catalog, not just the 3-4 popular songs everyone knows, is great. The other day I picked up Iggy Pop and the Stooges collection. Wow. Just wow. 

Next up: The MC5, Death, and Television. I'm all in with Proto-Punk.  Name some others I should check out!
I don't know what the photo label means, but if you are digging those bands I think you'd love The Minutemen. Actually seeing Mike Watt live next Friday. 

For Television make sure you listen the live album The Blow Up. 

glad to see the Coop being mentioned up in here - the entire "School's Out" album is as snotty and grimy a proto punk platter as there ever was

my favorite from said album "Luney Tune" - that filthy guitar work is as sleazy as anything ever laid down

from their earlier "Easy Action" album  "Refrigerator Heaven" - skank/mosh pit special

from "Love it to Death" (their finest hour) "Hallowed Be My Name"  - so damn good that Sonic Youth paid homage

Wire, The Damned, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, The Viletones, Forgotten Rebels, Devo, Eater, Dwarves, The Fall, Flipper, Minor Threat, Germs, The Groundhogs, Hawkwind, The jesus Lizard, Joy Division, Naked Raygun, New Bomb Turks, Public Image Limited, Radio Birdman, Rezillos, The Cramps, Richard Hell And the Voidoids, The Saints, The Weirdos,

Wire, The Damned, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, The Viletones, Forgotten Rebels, Devo, Eater, Dwarves, The Fall, Flipper, Minor Threat, Germs, The Groundhogs, Hawkwind, The jesus Lizard, Joy Division, Naked Raygun, New Bomb Turks, Public Image Limited, Radio Birdman, Rezillos, The Cramps, Richard Hell And the Voidoids, The Saints, The Weirdos,
So much goodness in this list  :wub:

Yeah! Finest slabs of vinyl ever to hit Crypt records.  

I think a lot of these are just punk or post-punk, though. Unless proto-punk isn't a time-bound genre, which I always thought it was.  

So much goodness in this list  :wub:
Yeah, there really is.  

I think a lot of these are just punk or post-punk, though. Unless proto-punk isn't a time-bound genre, which I always thought it was.  
You're probably right. I was just trying to think of some of the most influential early punk bands. I guess proto-punk is really stuff from the late 60's early 70's like Hawkwind, The Groundhogs, Arthur Brown, MC5, Kraftwerk, Blue Cheer, The Sonics, The Customs, The modern Lovers, The Real Kids, Sonics' Rendezvous Band, Suicide, Love, 13th Floor Elevators, The Electric Prunes, The Gories etc.

I was the same way. Fast forward to now and my youngest D is into vinyl. Old stuff and new

Users who are viewing this thread