What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UPS loses mans bank draft for nearly $1 million family inheritance. (1 Viewer)

I’m sorry but who the #### waits for $800,000+ through the ####### mail?  I would fly to the city the bank was in and pick up the cashiers check in ####### person. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sorry but who the #### waits for $800,000+ through the ####### mail?  I would fly to the city the bank was in and pick up the cashiers check in ####### person. 
I imagine if this is coming from a bank (didn't read article) that you could open an account with the bank over the phone and wire the money wherever you wanted it to go.

Just about any option would be better than sending it through ups.

According to the article the bank is willing to release the funds to the heir but since the bank draft never expires (and is lost) the bank wants a lien against their house. 

And TD is refusing to refund the money unless Taylor signs an agreement to pay back the bank if someone cashes the lost draft, which does not expire like regular checks.

“It also said that if something happened to me, for example, my children and my heirs and my spouse and my executor would have to pay this debt,” she said. “Well, I didn’t really want to sign this.”

She signed anyway, but the bank “never paid anyone a dime,” according to Taylor. Instead it demanded she let TD put a lien against her house in case the errant check was cashed, but she refused.

Am I correct in thinking that the money just stays in limbo?
No. The money is still in the original account. The heir could receive the money as long as they are willing to let the bank (where the money is held) place a lien on their home in the event that the bank draft note is cashed by someone else. 

What I don’t get is...

1. Why is there some irrevocable instrument from a bank that, once printed and distributed, can’t be cancelled?

2. If there’s some good reason to have #1 above, why the hell did the bank advise this to be used then placed in the mail?

No. The money is still in the original account. The heir could receive the money as long as they are willing to let the bank (where the money is held) place a lien on their home in the event that the bank draft note is cashed by someone else. 

What I don’t get is...

1. Why is there some irrevocable instrument from a bank that, once printed and distributed, can’t be cancelled?

2. If there’s some good reason to have #1 above, why the hell did the bank advise this to be used then placed in the mail?
I’d like to know the answer to those questions as well. I would assume there is a secure way to do this in this day and age.

My wife used to work for a UPS distribution center. I guarantee this package is sitting in a room somewhere, probably a manager's office. Not necessarily anything fraudulent, just a ripped Barcode or something that made it undeliverable. It might show up in another year or two. 

My wife used to work for a UPS distribution center. I guarantee this package is sitting in a room somewhere, probably a manager's office. Not necessarily anything fraudulent, just a ripped Barcode or something that made it undeliverable. It might show up in another year or two. 
Does it really take that long to sort out?

You have apparently never been to a UPS Or fedex hub. Go sometime. Take the number of packages you think move through. Multiply it by two. Then five. 
No I haven’t. The last time I sent a package was probably about 15 years ago and that was US postal.

I’d like to know the answer to those questions as well. I would assume there is a secure way to do this in this day and age.
Probably older people making decisions. They like stuff printed and in their hands. 

Could have easily done electronic funds transfer instead.

No I haven’t. The last time I sent a package was probably about 15 years ago and that was US postal.
No harm no foul. If you’re ever in Memphis PM me in advance. I’ll set up a FedEx hub tour during the sort. It will blow your mind. Then I’ll tell you UPS handles many many many more packages than fedex and your head will explode. 

Not justifying lost things. Just saying once you see the insane underbelly of these operations you’ll be shocked more things don’t turn up missing ?

No harm no foul. If you’re ever in Memphis PM me in advance. I’ll set up a FedEx hub tour during the sort. It will blow your mind. Then I’ll tell you UPS handles many many many more packages than fedex and your head will explode. 

Not justifying lost things. Just saying once you see the insane underbelly of these operations you’ll be shocked more things don’t turn up missing ?
Isn’t this the plot of a Hanks movie?

I remember taking a tour of a USPS hub as a kid and being blown away.  I assume it's worse now with the number of packages probably increasing more than the number of letters has dropped, at least for bulk.

Don't interbank transfers work in the US?

Are you guys living in the 12th century?
1) This happened in Canada, not the US.

2) The bank is the one that recommended the bank draft saying it was the safest way to do this transaction

3) None of this makes sense as a bank draft is absolutely able to be canceled. The money for a bank draft is segregated into a separate account marked soley for one person. The bank can cancel the initial draft, note it as stolen and issue a new one. The man would then use the second draft to collect the segregated money. The bank wouldn't actually release the funds for several days though. Once released, that's it. If someone showed up with the first canceled draft, the bank would not even have any funds to release as the segregated funds would already be gone. Further, they would have a note in the banking system noting the draft as stolen and know right away it wasn't legit.

It's either entirely made up, the family is lying about some aspect, or people at the bank are really really screwing up.

2) The bank is the one that recommended the bank draft saying it was the safest way to do this transaction

3) None of this makes sense as a bank draft is absolutely able to be canceled. The money for a bank draft is segregated into a separate account marked soley for one person. The bank can cancel the initial draft, note it as stolen and issue a new one. The man would then use the second draft to collect the segregated money. The bank wouldn't actually release the funds for several days though. Once released, that's it. If someone showed up with the first canceled draft, the bank would not even have any funds to release as the segregated funds would already be gone. Further, they would have a note in the banking system noting the draft as stolen and know right away it wasn't legit.

It's either entirely made up, the family is lying about some aspect, or people at the bank are really really screwing up.
So the bank is living in the 12th century. Gotcha

Regarding 3, if this were an American Cashiers Check (it appears this is a Canadian equivalent) the original check would still be valid. If, for instance, the first check was later “cashed” by payee at another bank, it couldn’t be returned by issuing bank regardless of  a replacement being issued. 

What the article doesn’t discuss is if the original check is cashed with a fraudulent endorsement, the true payee isn’t responsible (in US anyway). The bank cashing the check would be. Accordingly, the payee should sign the agreement.

Regarding 3, if this were an American Cashiers Check (it appears this is a Canadian equivalent) the original check would still be valid. If, for instance, the first check was later “cashed” by payee at another bank, it couldn’t be returned by issuing bank regardless of  a replacement being issued. 

What the article doesn’t discuss is if the original check is cashed with a fraudulent endorsement, the true payee isn’t responsible (in US anyway). The bank cashing the check would be. Accordingly, the payee should sign the agreement.
Agreed. A thief is not going to cash this at a 7Eleven. Any bank with the means to honor this check is going to do some diligence on id. It’s still a strange story, which I did not read. 

Before a bank cashes this check they will call the issuing bank first to make sure funds are available.  We have banks call for checks under $1,000.  No way they would not call for $800k.

Wait - this is in Canada?

Well, if you factor in the conversion rate, that check is actually only worth:

a beer

two turtlenecks

three french toast

four pounds of backbacon

five golden touques

six packs of two-four

seven packs of smokes

eight comic books

and a dozen donuts.

Wait - this is in Canada?

Well, if you factor in the conversion rate, that check is actually only worth:

a beer

two turtlenecks

three french toast

four pounds of backbacon

five golden touques

six packs of two-four

seven packs of smokes

eight comic books

and a dozen donuts.
And a partridge in a pear tree.

It seems like I have had cashier's checks reissued before.  They should be able to void the old one.  Not understanding the issue here.  Must be a Canadian thing. 

It seems like I have had cashier's checks reissued before.  They should be able to void the old one.  Not understanding the issue here.  Must be a Canadian thing. 
The only way I can think of that you can "void" a check is by physically writing or stamping the word "VOID" on the check.  That can't be done if it's lost.  Of course, there are other things that can be done to issue a replacement but there is risk there to the bank.  They want her to sign an agreement that she won't cash the original check if it is found but she refuses.

Users who are viewing this thread