What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL is afraid of Michael Bennett (1 Viewer)

JaxBill

Footballguy
Really? No fine? 

Salt of the Earth.  Dive at the center's knees TWICE. 

Second time was well after the snap so save the swipe at the ball deal.

Commissioner is afraid of Bennett and his Anthem role.

Bennett got nothing. Jefferson got his original personal foul fine.

Quinton Jefferson was fined $9,115 for unnecessary roughness, for which he was ejected, but it has not been announced whether he was fined for his actions after he was taken out of the game. Jefferson was making his way off the field when Jacksonville fans threw drinks at the Seahawks defender.

Jefferson initially confronted the fans verbally, but was not doing anything physical until a fan threw a drink a second time. He then had to be held back from going into the stands to deal with the fans. Four Jaguars supporters were banned from the stadium as a result of their actions.

In addition to Jefferson, Seahawks defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson was also fined $9,115 for unnecessary roughness and Germain Ifedi was fined $24,309 for verbal abuse of an official.

Yes I am biased, but what about this guy

@geoffschwartz: Fournette got fined for an unsportsmanlike conduct for standing up for his OL getting a cheap shot to the knee. Didn't throw a punch. The guy with the Unnecessary Roughness for that cheap shot got nothing https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/941782145785266179

@geoffschwartz: Even if you take out the cheap shot, everyone who received a penalty at the end of the game got fined, except Bennett. Good work @NFL

@geoffschwartz: I 100% promise you if a kneel down situation happens Sunday w/the Rams winning, a brawl will happen when Bennett goes low again. If the NFL won’t handle that, that Rams veteran line will.

Diving for the football??  It was a kneel down without a fumble. Bennett was frustrated and made a dirty play.

Titans reporter

@PaulKuharskyNFL: Michael Bennett not getting fined for going at Brandon Lindor’s knees on a kneel-down snap is an absolute joke. As if they are scared of him. Filthy play.

I don't know what Bennett's anthem role is or why the league would be scared of him?

Those reasons don't seem very plausible to me but maybe I am just missing something here.

It is very clearly a foul from watching the game and I don't understand why the league does not fine him or suspend him for what he did. Some sort of action should be taken to prevent such an act occurring in the future.

There is really no excuse for it. The game is over and the Jaguars are just downing the ball to end the game. I have seen players get chippy at the end of games in this situation before, but not quite as bad as what Bennett does, it seems pretty clear he is going after the centers knees, and thats really bad. What I have seen before is some pushing and punches by players out of frustration, going after another players knees is worse than this in my opinion.

The policy for suspensions this year has been if the player gets tossed out of the game, that counts as a 1 week suspension, and I think that is accompanied with a fine as well, or the player doesn't get payed for the game they were tossed out of.

If the players isn't tossed from the game, for example Andrew Sendejos helmet to helmet hit on Mike Wallace that concussed Wallace, then a suspension of a game the following week is what he served in this case. This has not been consistent of course, as other players have made similar hits and not been suspended following it.

The inconsistency is a problem. Rules need to apply equally to all players. There is some form of favoritism or subjective application of the rules if they are not consistent.

I agree he is at least should have been fined if not suspended. There is just no good reason for this type of behavior at any time of the game, but especially not on a play where the other team is just downing the ball to kill the clock. 

Joe. David please move this thread.

WE come to sports to get away from this. We want to relax in a sports site and get away from politics and non sports,,,non NFL talk.

Really? No fine? 

Salt of the Earth.  Dive at the center's knees TWICE. 

Second time was well after the snap so save the swipe at the ball deal.

Commissioner is afraid of Bennett and his Anthem role.

Bennett clearly should have been suspended for what ended up being a series of obvious, dirty plays.

I don’t know what the NFL is afraid of, but they are afraid of something.

Maybe the NFL doles out fines according to impact in the game. Which would explain why Michael Bennett was fined zero dollars.

Last edited by a moderator:
The second time he went after the center when the play was well over should have been enough for the NFL to act on.

If there is another reasonable explanation for not fining or suspending Bennett I would like to hear it.  The explanation offered by the NFL is clearly not reasonable.

Ah, another fine example of how the NFL doesn't give two craps about player safety. 
When stuff like this happens, with no punishment, and nary a peep out of the player's union, one could argue the player's don't care about safety either.  So why should anyone else?

When stuff like this happens, with no punishment, and nary a peep out of the player's union, one could argue the player's don't care about safety either.  So why should anyone else?
The Players' Union has a conflict of interest.  The NFL does not.  Not above board, anyway.

What happened when gym coach Schiano had the Bucs do this?  Were there fines and/or suspensions?
Schiano had his players attack the line like a normal pass-rush situation and try to force a fumble.  He did not ask, nor did his players attempt taking out the knees of the opposing line.

I had no problem with Schiano doing that.  The only reason it was a problem was because the players, including his own, didn't like the business calculus of injury risk vs. improbable reward.

Users who are viewing this thread