What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Flu Season (1 Viewer)

My doctor said my flu shot is may be 20% effective against the strains that are prevalent right now.  I feel gypped.
Yeah, they really are for the most part useless. It's why I skip out. For some people tho, that 20% helps them sleep at night, so I say do your thing.

Just slaughtered in the Curse household. I didn’t go to the office on Thurs/Fri, baby on and off super high fever since Tues, wife has the flu and went back to urgent care today, she also has bronchitis, I think I might have that as well.

I didn’t even realize they had flu tests, we’ve all tested positive.

Amazingly (knocks on wood) the 5 year old didn’t have a fever or anything - just a little cough, we sent him off to his grandparents for the weekend.

Tamiflu BTW, never again!! Took 2 doses and had some of the worst diarrhea of my life, side effects were worse than what it was treating. 

I've been getting flu shots for about the past 36 years (started with mandatory military ones, and I have continued even after I left). I haven't once gotten the flu (knock on wood). So yea, maybe the "only" protect against 20% of all flu strains. But if they are the most common flu strains for that articular time frame, it's still pretty good protection. That being said T&P to anyone that gets it, especially in a family environment where it is simply passed around.

bradyfan said:
My doctor said my flu shot is may be 20% effective against the strains that are prevalent right now.  I feel gypped.
If your doctor is in anyway implying that you should not receive an Influenza vaccination then your doctor is a quack.  I am hopeful that is not what your doctor was implying and that you are misconstruing the message.

bradyfan said:
I have been getting the shots every year and yet I get the flu every year.  It is almost like an insurance scam.
If you have been vaccinated for Influenza and appropriately tested for Influenza and tested positive every year for Influenza then you have had a run of bad luck.

I suspect you have not actually had true Influenza every year, though.

I've never gotten the flu shot and have not had the flu in 20+ years.
stopped getting the vaccine 6 years ago ... have not had the flu since. 

i am a relatively big smoker, to boot - roughly 2 packs a day.  now, since i stopped getting the shot, i have had zero incidents of bronchitis/pneumonia/alectasis (partially collapsed lung), all of which plagued my like a mutha for years and years.

my lifestyle has not changed - still smoke, drink (twice a week), do my running/workouts religiously (same routines as the years i got inoculated) ... the only change was bypassing the needle - coincidence? yeah, i think not.

I started getting the flu shot when we had my son 3 years ago.  We've got a 6-mos old now too...While I don't necessarily believe the flu shot does anything, I couldn't live with the chance that it DID, and I voluntarily didn't get it and got a kid sick...especially with really small kids.  

That said, I haven't had the flu for many many years - but I get sick regularly with random little things that I usually just push through.  Usually around the holidays or some other big event.  This year's no different.  Holidays coming, and I've got congestion and a cough that just won't quit.  I feel the Nile river draining down my throat and into my lungs every day.  It's so much fun.

Crushed by the flu this week. This sucks. Such wasted time and work is piling up. 

I also had the flu shot. 

Doc was positive I had type a back in October. Apparently a negative test is only sometimes negative while a positive is always a positive.  She followed that up with "I'm 99% positive it's not negative and you have type a."

She had seen 10 positive results that day of type a.  Wrote me a scrip for tamiflu and took Thursday and Friday off. Back at work Monday. 

Wasn't horrible. Just super tired. Slept most of 2 and a half days.  No side effects from the tamiflu either.

4 kids on my son's middle school basketball team out for tonight's game with flu.  

Eta - never have had a flu shot. 1st time I've had the flu since freshman year in college 20+ years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
36 reported flu-related deaths in Los Angeles county this year, not including people over the age of 65. I swear my coworkers are trying to make me victim #37.

I've never gotten the flu shot and have not had the flu in 20+ years.

Ditto.  Never had the flu, never got the shot.  47 years old.  Now watch me get crushed.

Just really lucky, I guess.  I'm no Superman.  Side note:  in the past ten years I've made a point of keeping my hands clean while at work (bathrooms, doorknobs, elevator buttons) and during air travel, and that seems to have reduced the instance of routine colds to almost nil.

I got the flu shot and have for 20 years. I got the flu last week, took Tamiflu and then contracted pneumonia. 2018 can only get better. 

Just starting to recover....the last 5 days, this thing kick my ####.!!!

2 pairs of Sweats....check

3 long sleeve shirts....check

2 Sweatshirts......check

2 pairs of Socks...check

2 Comforters......check

heat blaring, space heater blaring, kitchen oven cranked up to 500

Shaking and chilled to the bone, couldn’t get warm for 3 days.!

1can of soup, 75 throat lozenges, 2 bottles of Ginger ale, 2 bottles of OJ, 2 bottles of ZzzzQuil

and I think I turned the corner.

Minus 12LBS total loss.

They say the flu shot is only 10% effective every year. 
fixed for accuracy 

?

proteus126 said:
Ditto.  Never had the flu, never got the shot.  47 years old.  Now watch me get crushed.

Just really lucky, I guess.  I'm no Superman.  Side note:  in the past ten years I've made a point of keeping my hands clean while at work (bathrooms, doorknobs, elevator buttons) and during air travel, and that seems to have reduced the instance of routine colds to almost nil.
spot the #### on right here - the hygiene steps go a hell of a lot longer/stronger towards keeping one flu free than any damn innocculation.  

They say the flu shot is only 10% effective this year.
Yes - when I took my wife to Urgi-Care and she tested positive for the flu the doctor said that when my wife mentioned that I get the flu shot at work so should be ok. I ended up getting the flu from her but I did not suffer as badly, likely because I had the shot.

I get the flu shot every year. As a Type one diabetic for 40 years, the flu can kill me quickly. It has hospitalized me twice in the past.

The past few days,  I have been freezing (no fever); body aches and just overwhelming fatigue. I am wondering if it a mild flu case or what. 

I have been getting the shots every year and yet I get the flu every year.  It is almost like an insurance scam.
I’ve had the exact opposite experience- I used the get the flu every year.  Since I started getting the flu shot I haven’t gotten it in like 8-10 years.

As opposed to wild ### guesses on a message board, which are always spot on!
 i am in 100% agreement forthwith 

i am now redacting all prior anti-vax comments - i mean, it was in an article - THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!! 

i have since ponndered the error of my ways, and am charting a plan to get seven flu shots over the next couple weeks to make up for all the years i skipped!  figure i'll hit a CVS, a RiteAid, a shaman, a couple clinics, etc - IN, baby! - INNOCULATE MY ### ✌

TIA  :thumbup:

I’ve never had the flu and never had the flu shot, and I just wanted to add to the anecdotal discussion ITT. 

My sister got the flu this week, however. I guess I got the good genes. 

On Day 5 of the flu and wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy. 103 Fever spikes, awful congestion in head chest and throat, General aches and pains. First time I’ve ever caught the flu before. I have no idea when I’ll start feeling better at this point.

On Day 5 of the flu and wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy. 103 Fever spikes, awful congestion in head chest and throat, General aches and pains. First time I’ve ever caught the flu before. I have no idea when I’ll start feeling better at this point.
My family went through this crap over a 9 day period where it hit all 4 of us.  Worst ever.

I have to get the flu shot every year in order to be credentialed in the hospitals I go to.  This is now 3 years in a row I've gotten the flu.  They base the "vaccine" on last year's strain and try to predict the next mutation, this is why the shots are only partly effective.

My wife tested positive for two strains a month ago.  She had the shot so it wasnt awful.  She's finally back to normal.  At 10pm last night I started shivering like Messi before taking an Argentine penalty kick.  I am freezing, stomach hurts, feel Hurley, and I have no strength to walk.  Are these flu symptons?  I should have paid attention when wife had it.  Grr.

Is there any thought to maybe doing a split flu shot, I mean take your best guess but if they hit at a Shaq FT% rate, have a do-over?

I got last years shot, but was too busy this year trying to trade Sterling Marte in SBDL.  Is tamaflu bad for you?  Wife refused it for some reason.  I have a bad stomach and try to avoid Advil and what not.  Tia.

I got last years shot, but was too busy this year trying to trade Sterling Marte in SBDL.  Is tamaflu bad for you?  Wife refused it for some reason.  I have a bad stomach and try to avoid Advil and what not.  Tia.
Tamiflu can be really hard on stomachs.  I think this flu season has sort of shown that tamiflu isn't super useful if you had the shot.  At best it chops off a 1/2 day of the flu symptoms assuming you actually can get a diagnosis within 48hours of it developing.  

There are a lot of anecdotal reports that no shot and no tamiflu puts people in the death zone though. 

You need to beat back the flu fast enough such that you don't develop pneumonia or sepsis.  That seems difficult without either treatment.  

4000 people died last week.  My youngest got the stupid flu Sunday and seems fine now.  I'm pretty sure I got a cold or something similar, but wasn't nearly as bad as what she got just taking care of her.

I mean the scary part is it sounds like people get to feeling better after the flu, then something serious in their lungs hit and they drop dead within like a day.  If you get exposed to strep throat during the illness, like at a doctors office, that is one way people end up RIP.  The flu doesn't kill you but the strep does.

Users who are viewing this thread