What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvin Lewis moving on (1 Viewer)

He'll go out as the best coach the Bengals ever had.  Right in line with best winning %, ~twice as many games as the other contenders, and took over the team after 11 years of Schula-Coslett-LeBeau futility.

Forrest Gregg ‡    1980–1983    57    32    25    0     0.561 
Bill Johnson*    1976–1978    33    18    15    0     0.545 
Marvin Lewis*    2003–present    224    118    103    3     0.533 
Paul Brown †    1968–1975    112    55    56    1     0.495 
Sam Wyche    1984–1991    121    61    66    0     0.480 
Bruce Coslet    1996–2000    60    21    39    0     0.350 
Homer Rice*    1978–1979    27    8    19    0     0.296 
Dave Shula*    1992–1996    71    19    52    0     0.268 
**** LeBeau ‡    2000–2002    45    12    33    0     0.267 

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny that he is "leaving" rather than "fired," which is something Mike Brown has proven he would never do.

Have to remember the long drought between Wyche & Lewis. The Bubgles were ugly year after year.

Curious why they would announce this now and create a lame duck situation for the rest of the season. A sign they have a guy in mind and want to get him inked before someone else does? 

Mavin "haven't won a playoff game in !5 years" Lewis is leaving. Marvin " I'm a lame duck coach that probably wouldn't be back anyway" Lewis is going to pursue 'other opportunities'. Good luck with them!

About 10 years too late.
They were a perennial playoff team until last year. They had some terrible luck in the playoffs between multiple aj green injuries and that debacle of a game against the Steelers.  They developed sanu and Marvin Jones but never had both healthy at once. One year in the playoffs their leading receiver was rex Burkhead. 

He was too willing to take on character issues but did a good job keeping those guys in line for the most part.  He just couldn't push them past the first round of the playoffs.  Above average coach leaving at least 12 games over .500 for his career.  

I'm going to be on the side of the camp that thinks he did as well as anybody could be expected in that city. 

Will be interesting to see what happens over the next several years. 

Mediocre coach.   Good DC.   No idea why NFL owners have such trouble differentiating between those roles.
Gotta root heavily for the Rams and Eagles as they brought in fresh ideas on the O side of the field and are thriving. May be the Bengals FO is paying attention.

4 years at least
15 games over .500 in 15 seasons, 0-7 in the playoffs.

If Caldwell stayed another 11, that's exactly where I would expect him to be; make the playoffs every other year (easy schedule), lose in the first round, miss the playoffs (ooooh, just barely!) when it's a tough schedule.

Martha, we can do better. Do the right thing.

A creative young coaching staff could get a lot out of the pieces and weapons Cinci has on offense and defense...

They will make a terrible good ol' boy hire and stay the same though. 

15 games over .500 in 15 seasons, 0-7 in the playoffs.

If Caldwell stayed another 11, that's exactly where I would expect him to be; make the playoffs every other year (easy schedule), lose in the first round, miss the playoffs (ooooh, just barely!) when it's a tough schedule.

Martha, we can do better. Do the right thing.
Yep. 

A creative young coaching staff could get a lot out of the pieces and weapons Cinci has on offense and defense...

They will make a terrible good ol' boy hire and stay the same though. 
I could see them hire Gunther.  That would be terrible.  They need to clean house and bring in fresh ideas.  

Talking about his place in Bengals history is laughable. His team can’t get past the 50yd line today. That’s what Bengals fans should remember. Not his compiled record that any coach would have after a decade of coaching the same team (except for Hue Jackson).

I know people are happy Marvin is moving on, and its probably time.  But, I think people forget just how bad the Bengals organization was before Lewis was hired.  The absolute worst organization in the NFL - on par with the then hapless Clippers for worst organization in all professional sports.  Lewis brought stability and pride back to the Bengals.

I know people are happy Marvin is moving on, and its probably time.  But, I think people forget just how bad the Bengals organization was before Lewis was hired.  The absolute worst organization in the NFL - on par with the then hapless Clippers for worst organization in all professional sports.  Lewis brought stability and pride back to the Bengals.
Ya, so were the Patriots before Bill Belichick. Embracing mediocrity gets you just that.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

In the 4 seasons prior to Bellichick the Patriots were - 8-8, 9-7, 10-6, 11-5

In the 4 seasons prior to Lewis the Bengals were - 2-14, 6-10, 4-12, 4-12

#knowyourfacts
So I’ll just change it from BB to Pete Carroll another coach who is one of the best in the NFL and you’ll still be wrong.

Marvin Lewis is the tubby Smith of football.  Solid coach, even more solid person, won't embarrass you but will never lead you to greatness.

They will miss him more than they think.  The browns will finish above them in the standings as early as next year.  

Marvin Lewis is the tubby Smith of football.  Solid coach, even more solid person, won't embarrass you but will never lead you to greatness.

They will miss him more than they think.  The browns will finish above them in the standings as early as next year.  
Tubby Smith won a National Championship, albeit with Rick Pitino's team.

Tubby was a very good game day coach, Marvin notsomuch.   

Shutout said:

A moral victory for 3rd place in the Division?

I have so much respect for his tenure here and how he basically earned Mike Brown’s trust enough to get full say in things. 

It is time though.  

With Mike’s age and Katie’s involvement, I don’t expect the next coach to come in with the same handicaps placed on them.

Everyone is making assumptions about who they will hire from the same tree but remember that last time this job was open they went outside the organization for a hot assistant (not to mention a minority).  I think it’s lazy to pencil in an old familiar name here.

Users who are viewing this thread