What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 16 waiver wire: Use 'em or block 'em? (1 Viewer)

zftcg

Footballguy
My lineup is pretty set heading into the championship, but there are a few guys I'm targeting in order to avoid facing them in the finals (especially since my opponent just lost Brown):

• Parker -- finally put it together and has a great Week 16 match-up
  • Cole -- scored in three straight and Lee's injury could be serious
  • Chicago D -- Cleveland, 'nuff said
  • Bohanan -- just seeing if you were paying attention
Others that are owned in my league but are definitely worth targeting if you can get them:

• KWilliams (gets Giants run D)
  • Rams D (if they were dropped for Seattle)

My personal philosophy is to worry about my own squad. That’s the part I can control. A lot of times late in the year I miss out because I judge WW pickups to not be an upgrade - far more than not, that turns out to be true, but occasionally I whiff. I’ve just found that often the best move is no move.

I am sure 99% of TSP & most experts will tell you to go for the block, and it’s a sound strategy.

Re: these specific options 

- Parker - woo boy! I would hoping & praying your opponent would pick him up. His highly unlikely to reoccur ceiling is from WK3 was 21.6 (bonus PPR) and in WKs 11-14 he averaged 4.4. You should be overjoyed if you faced him in the finals.

- Cole - one of the best stories since Thanksgiving has been the emergence of the Jags rookie WRs. An UDFA & 24 y.o. 4th rounder stepping up after AR15, Hurns, & now Lee get hurt is Horatio Alger stuff. Def go for him if you have any FAAB left or a decent priority. I would not but I have a strong corps & don’t think he’s an upgrade.

- CHI - nope. It’s a bad team that has a lot of issues on D - terrible communication amongst the back 7.

Bohanan - legend, underrated. A 50K clear channel overnight fav when I was a boy.

KW & LAR - no brainers if they are upgrades. Neither would be for my team.

Last edited by a moderator:
If in need...Randall Cobb...(ok I’m just using this as a ww  thread).

Depending in Adams status.  Nelson doesn’t seem to have it right now.  And this is risky anyway especially with the matchup.  But Cobb seems to be used a little more and trying (and imo they need to try more) to get him the ball and let him make plays.  Just seems electric.

Wondering how the fumble affects Allison in all of this as Rodgers looked to him a lot too after Adams was out.

If in need...Randall Cobb...(ok I’m just using this as a ww  thread).
No worries. I was originally going to make this a thread about blocking. Then I figured that was basically the same as a WW thread, and we didn't already have one, so ...

I'm looking to throw a dart at TE next week in the finals now that Graham's TD run has gone cold. Advice that he'll "turn it around next week" has become trite and the only difference between him and Garrett Celek or Richard Rodgers at this point is name recognition.

I'm looking to throw a dart at TE next week in the finals now that Graham's TD run has gone cold. Advice that he'll "turn it around next week" has become trite and the only difference between him and Garrett Celek or Richard Rodgers at this point is name recognition.
If you're only looking at the last two weeks, sure.

But neither of those guys has even the chance of putting up the league-leading 9 TDs that Jimmy Graham has. I get that it's scary, but personally I wouldn't be able to stomach watching Graham go off on my bench in the finals. Good luck with whatever you decide though!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're only looking at the last two weeks, sure.

But never of those guys has even the chance of putting up the league-leading 9 TDs that Jimmy Graham has. I get that it's scary, but personally I wouldn't be able to stomach watching Graham go off on my bench in the finals. Good luck with whatever you decide though!
Fair point but it's also tough to stomach another "fool me three times" week as well. There's a fine line between "patient" and "passive" I guess.

And I agree that it being a redraft championship week scenario is extremely relevant. Having lost AB I feel like I need something (anything) out of that slot... 

Fair point but it's also tough to stomach another "fool me three times" week as well. There's a fine line between "patient" and "passive" I guess.

And I agree that it being a redraft championship week scenario is extremely relevant. Having lost AB I feel like I need something (anything) out of that slot... 
I agree with @Skoo. Any TE outside of Gronk is a dart throw, and any one of them is capable of putting up a 0/0/0 in a given week. I've been very lucky to end up with two of the top TEs this year (Ertz on one team, Engram on another) and even those two have had a few weeks where they completely disappeared.

It's obviously your call, but I would ask yourself this question: Why do you think Graham has disappeared over the past few weeks? Do you think it's something structural that's changed with the Seahawks offense, do you think he's just had a bad run, or do you have no idea? If it's anything but the first, I would think long and hard about sitting him.

My lineup is pretty set heading into the championship, but there are a few guys I'm targeting in order to avoid facing them in the finals (especially since my opponent just lost Brown):

• Parker -- finally put it together and has a great Week 16 match-up
  • Cole -- scored in three straight and Lee's injury could be serious
  • Chicago D -- Cleveland, 'nuff said
  • Bohanan -- just seeing if you were paying attention
Others that are owned in my league but are definitely worth targeting if you can get them:

• KWilliams (gets Giants run D)
  • Rams D (if they were dropped for Seattle)
FYI Williams might be hurt. Worth keeping an eye on.

My personal philosophy is to worry about my own squad. That’s the part I can control. A lot of times late in the year I miss out because I judge WW pickups to not be an upgrade - far more than not, that turns out to be true, but occasionally I whiff. I’ve just found that often the best move is no move.

I am sure 99% of TSP & most experts will tell you to go for the block, and it’s a sound strategy.

Re: these specific options 

- Parker - woo boy! I would hoping & praying your opponent would pick him up. His highly unlikely to reoccur ceiling is from WK3 was 21.6 (bonus PPR) and in WKs 11-14 he averaged 4.4. You should be overjoyed if you faced him in the finals.

- Cole - one of the best stories since Thanksgiving has been the emergence of the Jags rookie WRs. An UDFA & 24 y.o. 4th rounder stepping up after AR15, Hurns, & now Lee get hurt is Horatio Alger stuff. Def go for him if you have any FAAB left or a decent priority. I would not but I have a strong corps & don’t think he’s an upgrade.

- CHI - nope. It’s a bad team that has a lot of issues on D - terrible communication amongst the back 7.

Bohanan - legend, underrated. A 50K clear channel overnight fav when I was a boy.

KW & LAR - no brainers if they are upgrades. Neither would be for my team.
If you are dropping someone substantial to pick them up then you are obviously not using your head.  However, if you are dropping your healthy RB's handcuff, a backup QB your opponent wouldn't start, etc. then picking up some FA's that could potentially fill in for an injured player like Brown, Wentz, etc. then it is sound strategy. 

He faced the Jaguars and Rams the last two weeks.  He's a short yardage and redzone target and they were constantly facing third and long, particularly in the Rams game where they only went over to the Rams side of the field a couple of times all game.  In the Jaguars game they were getting curbstomped as well and the final score was only close because of a 61 yard and 74 yard bomb in garbage time.  Their closest TD game from 26 yards out so it wasn't a style of play the suited him.  Will they get back on track against Dallas?  Don't know as they are better with Lee back but they certainly aren't in close to the same league as JAX or RAM defenses, particularly with the pass rush. 

Users who are viewing this thread