What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone been to Iceland (1 Viewer)

AcerFC

Footballguy
My wife surprised me with a trip to Iceland. We will be staying in Rykievic. 

Looking for excursions that people have been on and enjoyed. One issue is that I am a planner and the trip is less than a month away so I feel behind the 8 ball. 

Main goal is to see the Northern Lights. We will be there for three or four nights. I don't even remember the exact details. 

Dining out is super expensive there from what I’ve been told.  It’s a very popular destination right now.  Have fun.

If you're not getting much info here, do some searching on suggested bachelor party itineraries. It's been a real popular destination for a few years now for the mix of outdoor activities and club scene, so you'll get good insight as to the best places to see.

Awesome surprise BTW. I'm definitely the vacation planner in my marriage so I get the anxiety but just roll with it. Plenty of time and no need for the perfect itinerary. 

I went in the summer so completely different time of year. 

We rented a car and were glad we did. Driving there is easy and we could explore things at our own pace. We toured the city on foot for a day and went to a hot springs, the falls and a mineral bath on the second day. There was a specific name for the drive: something circle. People there are generally friendly and very used to tourists. We rented an apartment through Airbnb and were very happy. Personally, I liked Iceland but I’m not racing to go back. We have friends who have been there 5x and can’t wait to go back. Random observation: the airport is a stupid distance from the city. I think they were trying to get jobs and growth in a second geographic area away from Reykjavik. 

I have a friend who went and did all the Game of Thrones sites. She loved it but maybe you have to be pretty into that show.
Thx. My wife suggested that. But not sure she and the kids would like it. And if I am being honest, while I love the show, Im not sure I would be able to pick out the locations. 

Its not like I would be like, oh, this is where XXXX got his arm cut off or this is where the battle of the bastards took place. Obviously if there is a real wall made of ice, I would know that

I have a friend who went and did all the Game of Thrones sites. She loved it but maybe you have to be pretty into that show.
Thx. My wife suggested that. But not sure she and the kids would like it. And if I am being honest, while I love the show, Im not sure I would be able to pick out the locations. 

Its not like I would be like, oh, this is where XXXX got his arm cut off or this is where the battle of the bastards took place. Obviously if there is a real wall made of ice, I would know that

I went two years ago in November.  Saw the northern lights randomly one night coming home from the big natural hot spring that they have turned into a mini resort, the Blue Lagoon.  That was pretty cool, basically an enormous natural hot tub with swim up bars.  Did a day trip onto a glacier where they let you tool around on a snowmobile, that was memorable.  Did a night cruise where they "guarantee" you see the northern lights and it was like, if you squint and look right over there, no there! you can see a dot of green.  Ripoff.

Everything is like 35% more than it is at home FYI.  Also, they nightlife doesn't even really get started until 11 if you are into that (the people there are).  Extremely safe city, FWIW.  

My trip was only 4 days, if I had a couple more I would have liked to rent a car and drive the golden circle.  On the glacier trip they stopped at Gulfoss, a freaking enormous waterfall, and a spot with like 12 small geysers, very cool.

Happy to answer more if I can...

S

Code:
Very nice.  I have no input other than my plane back from Munich flew over Iceland.  I could see the island and the snow.  That was pretty cool.

AcerFC said:
My wife surprised me with a trip to Iceland. We will be staying in Rykievic. 

Looking for excursions that people have been on and enjoyed. One issue is that I am a planner and the trip is less than a month away so I feel behind the 8 ball. 

Main goal is to see the Northern Lights. We will be there for three or four nights. I don't even remember the exact details. 
Never been there but saw a show on the Travel Channel and it looked like it would be a very interesting place to visit.  The women looked hot on the show.

I went two years ago in November.  Saw the northern lights randomly one night coming home from the big natural hot spring that they have turned into a mini resort, the Blue Lagoon.  That was pretty cool, basically an enormous natural hot tub with swim up bars.  Did a day trip onto a glacier where they let you tool around on a snowmobile, that was memorable.  Did a night cruise where they "guarantee" you see the northern lights and it was like, if you squint and look right over there, no there! you can see a dot of green.  Ripoff.

Everything is like 35% more than it is at home FYI.  Also, they nightlife doesn't even really get started until 11 if you are into that (the people there are).  Extremely safe city, FWIW.  

My trip was only 4 days, if I had a couple more I would have liked to rent a car and drive the golden circle.  On the glacier trip they stopped at Gulfoss, a freaking enormous waterfall, and a spot with like 12 small geysers, very cool.

Happy to answer more if I can...
Any idea what tour company you used for the snowmobile on the glacier. I guess that is really what Im looking for. That and what people enjoyed like your activity 

My wife says Blur Lagoon and Golden Circle are the absolute tourist stuff we should do. Along with the northern lights. I dont like your story of them saying they are there. Remember who you used for that tour

Not into the nightlife with two little kids.

Thx

We went in May. We went up the coast to check out some geysers. Black beaches, and the tectonic plate ridge. 

Pm me your email and I'll send ya some pictures of ya want.

Iceland is neat, you should have a good time. Looks like it's been mentioned, but the Golden Circle for the hotsprings and geysers are the big tourist attractions. Just be aware that you get very little daylight this time of year. 

We stayed near this famous church. I don't remember the inside, but the outside was pretty neat. 

Any idea what tour company you used for the snowmobile on the glacier. I guess that is really what Im looking for. That and what people enjoyed like your activity 

My wife says Blur Lagoon and Golden Circle are the absolute tourist stuff we should do. Along with the northern lights. I dont like your story of them saying they are there. Remember who you used for that tour

Not into the nightlife with two little kids.

Thx
I went in September.  Definitely agree with someone who said rent a car.  Driving was easy and so much better than being on a bus on a group’s schedule.  Driving the Golden Circle is a simple and well worth it day trip.  We also spent one day driving around the south where the black beaches are and did a glacier hike, and one day on the western part of the island, which is less touristed and might have been my favorite day. I have some other specific recommendations that I’ll type up when I get home later this evening.

Blue Lagoon is something everyone loves, except apparently me.  It did nothing for me. :shrug:  If you’re going to do it, I recommend checking into a reservation for the morning you get in.  Most N American flights will arrive in the early morning, and Blue Lagoon is about halfway between the airport and downtown Reykjavik, so it’s a good stop on the way to kill time since your hotel room probably won’t be ready yet anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was there last January. Krista's post is full of good advice.

Seeing the Northern Lights in Iceland can be hard. They generally get a good show every 3 days or so, but it is also cloudy a lot. You can see them from just outside of Reykjavik. We were drinking (it is a zero tolerance drinking and driving country) and we walked all the way out to the Seltjarnarnes Lighthouse. I would recommend driving otherwise though.

Be sure to pay attention to forecasts:

http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/aurora/

When we saw the northern lights, to the naked eye they were colorless and kind of looked like smoke. Through a lens they were green. They were cool.

The Blue Lagoon would not be my choice unless it is to kill time coming form the airport. If I did a hot-springs, I would pick a natural one. I liked Laugarvatn Fontana.

The touristy natural attractions are probably worth it. Þingvellir National Park is awesome. We spent a whole day there. Gullfoss is really cool. The drive down to Vik was also nice. If you want to go on any back roads, you are required to have 4 wheel drive.

Feel free to ask any specific questions.

Thanks for everyone chiming in

My wife does have a car reserved for us. She says most are manual which we cant drive so I guess we will see.

I do like the idea of just driving down to the south like @krista4 mentioned. 

And of course, crossing our fingers for clear skies. 

Why on earth would you go to Iceland with two little kids?
Because my wife does not want to have an ocean separating us from them. They are 10 and 8. Not like they cant appreciate it. We just got back from the Grand Canyon and they liked that

nope but i probably have to run to the maynards out in pewaukee this weekend so thats what im all about right now take that to the bank bromigo

I was there last January. Krista's post is full of good advice.

Seeing the Northern Lights in Iceland can be hard. They generally get a good show every 3 days or so, but it is also cloudy a lot. You can see them from just outside of Reykjavik. We were drinking (it is a zero tolerance drinking and driving country) and we walked all the way out to the Seltjarnarnes Lighthouse. I would recommend driving otherwise though.

Be sure to pay attention to forecasts:

http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/aurora/

When we saw the northern lights, to the naked eye they were colorless and kind of looked like smoke. Through a lens they were green. They were cool.

The Blue Lagoon would not be my choice unless it is to kill time coming form the airport. If I did a hot-springs, I would pick a natural one. I liked Laugarvatn Fontana.

The touristy natural attractions are probably worth it. Þingvellir National Park is awesome. We spent a whole day there. Gullfoss is really cool. The drive down to Vik was also nice. If you want to go on any back roads, you are required to have 4 wheel drive.

Feel free to ask any specific questions.
Something like this sounds similar to the things you said were awesome. If we choose not to get a car, this might be good. Thoughts

https://www.re.is/day-tours/gullfoss-geysir-langjokull-snowmobiling

yeah for some reason the store off of 100 doesnt have the part i need for my toilet but boy howdy they have it out in fancy lake land so off to pewaukee i go i guess they got fancier crappers out there anyhow i will let you know how it goes brohans take that to the bank 

I was there in March.  Great time.  Reykjavik is easy to get around in.  It was easy the most expensive city I have been to in the world, to eat and drink in.  If  that is something that would concern you, I would recommend grabbing a wrap or sandwich from the city square for lunch.  In regards to liquor, there are only 2 stores in the city (that I found) that you can buy liquor in.  The best move would be to purchase a 6 pack or bottle of wine for your hotel room.  You can pay upwards of $11 for a pint of beer.

The best activities were the dune buggy tour and ice cave tour.  Everyone does the Blue Lagoon tour.  Usually directly from the airport as it is on the way to the city.  Whale watching is hit or miss dependent on the weather.  There is always an opportunity they won't even take you out.  The Golden Circle tour is pretty popular but more site seeing than anything else (tectonic plates, geyser, waterfall etc.).  If you don't want to pay for a tour, I highly recommend driving out to the Gullfoss waterfall.  Have fun

It might be pushing it for available daylight.
Interesting. Didn't realize it was that dramatic. Renting a car looking like a better option right now. But I don't think I have an international plan. GPS might be an issue. Don't even remember what I did before mapquest and now waze. 

SWC said:
nope but i probably have to run to the maynards out in pewaukee this weekend so thats what im all about right now take that to the bank bromigo
I prefer the one in Waukesha myself. 

it would be closer but apparently in order to get my crapper to work right i have to do a lord of the rings quest to the other side of the county take that to the bank bromigo 

AcerFC said:
Because my wife does not want to have an ocean separating us from them. They are 10 and 8. Not like they cant appreciate it. We just got back from the Grand Canyon and they liked that
Nevermind him.  It is great to get your kids out to new places to see different cultures.  The earlier the better.

I went there last June.  Great trip and amazing countryside.  One thing we did which was pretty amazing was ride snowmobiles on a glacier.  

AcerFC said:
Thanks for everyone chiming in

My wife does have a car reserved for us. She says most are manual which we cant drive so I guess we will see.

I do like the idea of just driving down to the south like @krista4 mentioned. 

And of course, crossing our fingers for clear skies. 
I wouldn't drive there in January.

Snow. Ice. More snow. Snowstorms. Etc.

While I have never been to Iceland I just spent about three years hanging out with Icelandic dudes.

I'm never going to Iceland

Interesting. Didn't realize it was that dramatic. Renting a car looking like a better option right now. But I don't think I have an international plan. GPS might be an issue. Don't even remember what I did before mapquest and now waze. 
On Verizon you can add an international plan that is no charge unless you use it and everyday you use it it costs $10. When you do use it, you can just use your regular data and minutes even while abroad. No idea what any other carriers do, but worth looking into regardless. However it wouldn't be that hard to get around with just a map.

You can also get a GPS with your car, but probably more expensive.

Sorry I didn't follow up again last night, though you're obviously getting some great advice from several people.  I promise to do so tonight with more detail!  On rental cars, I noticed you said earlier you were worried about a manual.  I looked at about a jillion rental places and they all had automatics readily available.  We got a small SUV, automatic, which would probably fit your family well, too.

On GPS, the three of us all had international plans so it wasn't a problem (you might look into getting it just for the trip - most providers offer a flat $10/day plan you can turn on and off for trips), but our hotel also gave us each a phone for our stay, and we used those for their GPS.  Or, and I know this is crazy, you can buy actual maps.  We had those too as a backup plan, and we used them as well just because my navigator likes maps.

Sorry I didn't follow up again last night, though you're obviously getting some great advice from several people.  I promise to do so tonight with more detail!  On rental cars, I noticed you said earlier you were worried about a manual.  I looked at about a jillion rental places and they all had automatics readily available.  We got a small SUV, automatic, which would probably fit your family well, too.

On GPS, the three of us all had international plans so it wasn't a problem (you might look into getting it just for the trip - most providers offer a flat $10/day plan you can turn on and off for trips), but our hotel also gave us each a phone for our stay, and we used those for their GPS.  Or, and I know this is crazy, you can buy actual maps.  We had those too as a backup plan, and we used them as well just because my navigator likes maps.
I didn't pay for the SUV, but probably would if I went again.

OK, a little more info about some of the places I posted about.  We had limited time like you will (four nights for us), so crammed a lot into that time.

First day we stopped at Blue Lagoon from the airport, as I mentioned.  If you're going to do this, which most everyone does, this makes the most sense.  We also ate lunch at Blue Lagoon's restaurant, which was excellent except for the tendency of a few dudes to wear their damn robes to lunch.  Blech.  By the way, you need to make Blue Lagoon reservations in advance, so look at it now.  

We spent the rest of the first day/evening exploring Reykjavik.  I'm sure you can find enough info on what to do there.  As people said, dining is extremely expensive, even for my friends and I hailing from NYC, DC, and Seattle.  One place I'll recommend because it was wonderful food and kid-friendly (as evidenced by the table of happy kids next to us) is Snaps Bistro.  Great service, great food, laidback atmosphere.  I didn't eat anywhere else that I would recommend for kids - not that they wouldn't be welcome, I'm sure, but they just might not be happy with the higher-end places.

Oh wait, I take it back!  Go here, too.  Not for a meal, obviously, but for a snack.  We kept walking by it and I insisted on the last day that I MUST go there, and it was soooooo worth it.

Second day for us was driving the Golden Circle, which folks have mentioned on here already.  If you haven't researched that itinerary yet, the three highlights of this tour are Þingvellir, Gullfoss and Geysir.  Like @Drunken Cowboy, I found Þingvellir absolutely fascinating - you can walk around for as long as you can stand it and see so much interesting historical stuff.  Gullfoss is a gigantic, impressive waterfall - truly stunningly beautiful.  Geysir was the least impressive part to me, but is notable as being the area for which all geysers are named.  But if you haven't seen many geysers, it's cool.  In addition to these main spots, we stopped at a variety of places that we came across along the way and looked interesting!  Perhaps my favorite part of the day, though, was going here.  Yes, it's a tomato farm and restaurant, which might not sound impressive on its face, so you'll just have to trust me.  The specialty is the tomato soup, served with bread on an all-you-can-eat basis.  I don't know how to describe how good this is.  But there are a few other options, too, including a tomato pasta and a tomato pizza.  Plus a variety of cocktails and desserts that are - you guessed it - tomato-based.  We had a green-tomato-and-apple pie that was outlandishly great, and some sort of tomato cocktails.  Would also be potentially fun for the kids as they do some great education on the bees and you can watch the bees doing their thing.  Two warnings:  (1) you need a reservation, and (2) you need to like, or at least tolerate, tomatoes.

Third day we drove to Vik and the black beaches - extremely cool and even more so if you've watched Game of Thrones.  On the way there we stopped at two more famous waterfalls, Seljalandsfoss and Skogarfoss.  The first is cool because you can walk behind the waterfall - fun if you've never had that perspective before.  You can also walk down farther from there to see some more waterfalls, including one that you can only view through a crack into a cave opening, which was neat.  If you're stupid as I am, you can boulder up a whole bunch of rocks to see some more.  I thought Skogarfoss was cooler than this one, though - it's massive and impressive, plus the best part is you can climb a billion stairs to the top of it and then walk as far as you want toward its source.  It's more beautiful up at the top.  On our Vik day, we also stopped and did a glacier hike, which was fantastic but I'm not sure would be recommended (or even available) for kids.  Maybe depending upon age they could.  If you're interested I'll find the name of our guide company, as they were great.

Last day we went to Reykjanes Peninsula, which is much less frequently visited by tourists but as I said might have been my favorite day.  We essentially did the circle (counterclockwise) described here, except we skipped the Pop Culture Museum at the end and the Blue Lagoon since we'd already been there.  I thought the scenery on this day was more stunning and incredible than any of the other days, especially the hot springs at Seltún and the cliffs at Krýsuvíkurberg.  But every stop there was amazing and so different from a lot of the rest of what we'd seen.  Plus you have the benefit of fewer tourists at these stops.  I just loved this area. 

A few general thoughts:

- We were strongly encouraged to make reservations in advance for all meals, which we did and were glad we had.  You might have more flexibility with it being January, but something to think about.

- Re driving, I hadn't really thought about the weather while you are there, but it could be an issue, as someone noted.  Probably not for the Golden Circle portion, but certainly for the other parts.  I have a friend who rented a place near Vik in February last year, and saw nothing but the inside of their rental because of the snow.  Something to keep an eye on.

- No problem getting anywhere I mention above in a normal car, except for some spots we visited on the last day.  For a couple of those, you MUST have 4WD and be comfortable with heavily rutted roads and possibly fording some water crossings.  We had to do a couple of moderate fords, but it was extremely wet while we were there so that might have been a factor.  We didn't have any trouble getting through them and the roads didn't bother me, but I'm comfortable driving on ####ty forest roads and in bad weather.  YMMV.

- Our itinerary involved a lot of driving, and with two kids in tow you might not want to do all that, but they do involve frequent stops to see things, so I feel like it wouldn't be too bad.  

- Good site for daily northern lights forecast

Users who are viewing this thread