What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My older sister passed away today at 59 during hip surgery (1 Viewer)

Da Guru

Fair & Balanced
I am 2 bottles of Merlot deep right now and cracking a third. Why I am posting this..not sure.  Just want to.

I grew up in a 900 sq home in Detroit, 6 people one bathroom, no air.   My parents were good hard working people who never made much money but my sister knew at a young age we had to get out and was the driving force of 4 kids that grew up in a low income family. My sister was brilliant and was determined  to get us  out of our situation.  I was the youngest and the wildest and she was on me every day. I graduated from Michigan because of her..she made sure I found every grant..and whatever was not there she paid.  She was the kind of person who was truly happier for others success more than her own.  I always thanked her for all she did for me and she always said the same thing  "You had it in you..you just needed to be kicked in the ### a few times"  Hate to imagine how my life would have turned out without her.

My sister had a full academic ride and then ended up being the CEO of 2 manufacturing firms after being in the Big 3 Auto business. On top of that she was a fitness freak...she hurt her hip skiing last year and needed surgery for a torn labrum. 

Everybody including me thinks it is routine surgery....but during surgery things started going wrong and she had a blood clot that caused a heart attack that eventually killed her. I was in the waiting room with her 2 kids and when the doctor came out to talk to us I knew right away something was wrong. We could not even comprehend what he was telling us.

I am editing as I go along because I am really drunk right now.  My sister  kept our whole family together after our parents passed, every holiday, she made sure we were all together. We were just planning our Christmas Eve and Day get together yesterday.

Love the people you care about..they will not be there forever. 

Last edited by a moderator:
awful, awful news. thoughts and prayers and hang in there the best you can for the rest of the family. 

I know how you feel. I'm sorry for your lost, it's just tough and hurts and there's nothing that really helps in the short term. Just be proud you were a good brother to a good sister.

So sorry. Don't know what else to say - your sister sounds like she was a great person. 

Good god.  I've nothing helpful to say, but just want to express my condolences.  She sounds incredible.

I'm so, so sorry for your loss.  

No surgery is routine, no anesthetic routine. I'm so sorry, my man. How you pick up the pieces for your nieces and nephews will be so important. Do right by somebody that did right by you.    

So sorry for your loss. She sounds like a pretty special woman, who left quite a legacy. My prayers go out for you and your family.

I am so, so sorry for your loss. I will be praying for you, her kids and your whole family. Going to be a tough Christmas to be sure. 

Sorry for your loss. When my mom died at 49, it was obviously very hard. It took awhile before it felt real. My advice is to allow yourself to grieve, let other people help you, and stay close to your family. It's going to be a process. 

I'm so sorry for your loss.  Your sister sounds amazing.  We are all better for her being here, even though we didn't know it.

So terribly sad.

Hits close as I have an older sister who is in her 50s and also an amazingly driven go-getter of industry and a fitness freak.  Think Ill give her call in the morning.

All the love and all the prayers your way Guru.

You had a wonderful sister.  I am deeply sorry for the loss.  Try to focus on the blessing she was to you and the meaningful life she lived.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for your loss Guru.

Try to pick up where she left off - you organize and try to keep everyone together now.

That's tough from any angle, but seems like being in the waiting room is horribly surreal, like something out of a movie. Sorry that's how it went down.

Users who are viewing this thread