What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 rookies, starting now (1 Viewer)

Tick

Footballguy
I know there are 300-page thread about the class of 2021 around here somewhere... but I'm starting my offseason work now and don't care much what people thought about this rookie class in March of 2012.

So... quick rankings from CBS:

RB:

• Saquon Barkley
  • Derrius Guice
  • Bryce Love
  • Ronald Jones
  • Damien Harris
  • Royce Freeman
  • Nick Chubb
  • Kenyon Johnson
  • Josh Adams
  • Ito Smith
Where are the tier breaks there? How do these guys fit in compared to last year's great class of rookie RBs?

WR:

• Courtland Sutton
  • James Washington
  • Anthony Miller
  • Marcell Ateman
  • Deontay Burnett
  • Calvin Ridley
  • Michael Gallup
  • Jaleel Scott
  • Tre'Quan Smith
  • Cedrick Wilson
Again, where are the tier breaks?  How does the top end of the WR class fit compared to last year's class?

TE:

• Mark Andrews
  • Dallas Goedert
  • Jaylen Samuels
  • Mike Gesicki
  • Troy Fumagalli
I know nothing about these guys other than Andrews... how far behind are these guys compared to the great Howard/Engram/Njoku and company class?

QB:

• Lamar Jackson
  • Mason Rudolph
  • Josh Rosen
  • Sam Darnold
  • Baker Mayfield
These seem like odd rankings, and Josh Allen is nowhere to be seen.  Are those six a single tier, or are there any splits in there?

:blackdot:

Penny missing from that RB group. I love this group over all better than last year’s group. It’s deeper, stronger and more talented than last year’s group.

Barkley is in his own tier 1 with Harris, Love, Jones II, Penny and Guice in Tier 2.

Only one I’m interested in that WR group is James. Sutton was very underwhelming and didn’t deliver on the hype. Anthony Johnson is missing off this list as well. If James falls to me at 6 which is possible I’ll take him there as I have stock piled multiple picks in this draft. Richie James broke his collarbone and didn’t finish the season. I will gladly STEAL him in the 4th or 5th round I love guys like this, one fall to me EVERY year during the draft because of injuries.

Love this TE class! Andrews is the one I’m interested in as of today. IMHO if he was available for the 2017 draft he would have been in the conversation as the top pick in that draft.

Adam Breneman is missing off this list.

Overall this QB class is mmmmeeeeehhhhh......I’m not overly excited about this class.

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:

Only one I’m interested in that WR group is James. Sutton was very underwhelming and didn’t deliver on the hype. Anthony Johnson is missing off this list as well. If James falls to me at 6 which is possible I’ll take him there as I have stock piled multiple picks in this draft. Richie James broke his collarbone and didn’t finish the season. I will gladly STEAL him in the 4th or 5th round I love guys like this, one fall to me EVERY year during the draft because of injuries.
haven't looking into this class too closely, but it seems like an awful WR class as far as top notch talent. Looks like that may be the case.

This WR class will be better than many think. Christian Kirk should definitely be on the list. 
Agreed. People keep looking for and comparing classes to 2014, which just doesn't happen often. But this year will be on par with the previous few. 

No Chubb?
Chubb shows flashes here and there of his old self but he was inconsistent this year. Pre-injury Chubb would be 1b most likely but I’m just not sure yet. As of today I’m on the fence with him. Someone can make the argument of Chubb being in tier 2 and they probably wouldn’t be wrong I just don’t have him there yet. I’m a big believer that Sony is better than him as well. I’ve been a big believer in Sony for years but now he’s injured. This class could be super deep and that will keep some guys off.

So, I said all of that to say it’s a very deep class and because of his injury he seemed inconsistent at time showing flashes but it’s not enough “yet” to put him there. I’m sure i’ll be in the minority in that thinking but that’s fine I just like to see more before my final tiers are developed.

Tex

Are there any swing-for-the-fences guys this season?  I’m think of past examples like Isaiah Crowell, Colt Lyerla, Maurice Clarett, Gronk, etc who are either going to greatly exceed their draft position or flame out spectacularly.

Are there any swing-for-the-fences guys this season?  I’m think of past examples like Isaiah Crowell, Colt Lyerla, Maurice Clarett, Gronk, etc who are either going to greatly exceed their draft position or flame out spectacularly.
1. Mayfield 

2. Sutton

Tex

Tick said:
Anotonio Callaway is the best example of this, I think.  Potential 1st round talent with some major, major off the field issues.  

Is Barkley the consensus dynasty 1.01 pick next year?
Pretty close.  I'm not convinced Guice isn't just as good, and I saw my first "Guice 1, Barkley 2" ranking the other day.  I think the closer to the draft it gets the more whispers you'll hear about him, but the Barkley crowd will just jump in and drown them out.

BigTex said:

Penny missing from that RB group. I love this group over all better than last year’s group. It’s deeper, stronger and more talented than last year’s group.

Barkley is in his own tier 1 with Harris, Love, Jones II, Penny and Guice in Tier 2.

Love this TE class! Andrews is the one I’m interested in as of today. IMHO if he was available for the 2017 draft he would have been in the conversation as the top pick in that draft.

Adam Breneman is missing off this list.

Overall this QB class is mmmmeeeeehhhhh......I’m not overly excited about this class.

Tex
Does not compute...

petekrum said:
This WR class will be better than many think. Christian Kirk should definitely be on the list. 
Definitely better than people think. I like Miller, Kirk, Sutton, washington, Gallup, Ateman and risky Calloway. Of course some will be neutralized when the go to a team with a weak QB or get drafted by a team already set at WR. One of the guys listed should go to SF. 

At TE, Goedert reminds me of Todd Heap somewhat. Also like  Gesicki, Fumagalli and Andrews.

Rb is loaded.

James Washington at the 6th spot and Richie James in the 4th or 5th round.

Tex
I'm looking to target Richie a bunch as well.  What RB prospects look like good value in the very late 2nd-3rd round?

I'm looking ot target Richie a bunch as well.  What RB prospects look like good value in the very late 2nd-3rd round?
Mike Weber, Mark Walton, Akrum Wadley, L J Scott, and maybe Bo Scarbrough drops to late 2nd, early 3rd.

Definitely going to be interesting, those guys will make it to the 3rd/4th in IDP leagues. 
Perhaps so if IDP are included (I don't play IDP), but we're lookong at 2nd and 3rd rd picks for most of those players.  Perhaps Walton falls to the 4th.

BigTex said:
I love this group over all better than last year’s group. It’s deeper, stronger and more talented than last year’s group.
Really?

I doubt that as the 2017 RBs were very good. Maybe thie 2018 group is similarly deep and good, but I doubt it is actually stronger than 2017.

Chubb shows flashes here and there of his old self but he was inconsistent this year. Pre-injury Chubb would be 1b most likely but I’m just not sure yet. As of today I’m on the fence with him. Someone can make the argument of Chubb being in tier 2 and they probably wouldn’t be wrong I just don’t have him there yet. I’m a big believer that Sony is better than him as well. I’ve been a big believer in Sony for years but now he’s injured. This class could be super deep and that will keep some guys off.

So, I said all of that to say it’s a very deep class and because of his injury he seemed inconsistent at time showing flashes but it’s not enough “yet” to put him there. I’m sure i’ll be in the minority in that thinking but that’s fine I just like to see more before my final tiers are developed.

Tex
I have only seen a couple games of Chubb but I thought he looked great when they actually used him.

As you mention Sony Mitchel also a good RB and part of the reason why they did not use Chubb more than they did. While he seems like a good player as well, I see Chubb fitting NFL offense better than Mitchel does. When they were using Mitchel a lot of the runs are to the outside, unlike Chubb.

I expect that you (and a lot of people here) have watched more college football than I have. So somewhat surprised that you don't think Chubb has proven enough with his play from this season.

JohnnyU said:
Definitely think 2018 is deeper than 2017
How many NFL starting caliber RB from 2018?

From 2017 there were 11 and some of the players I ranked tier 3 or watch list are not bad, such as James Conner, Aaron Jones, Tarik Cohen, Chris Carson, Matt Breida, DeAngelo Henderson, Joe Williams, Elijah McGuire.

That makes a list of 20 deep from 2017 with a lot of very good RB at the top of that list, such as Fournette, Cook, McCaffrey, Mixon, Hunt, Kamara all looking like possible top 12 RBs.

I think 18 is deeper, but but has fewer top end guys.  I liked Cook, Mixon, and McCaffrey more than Guice, Love, and RoJo.  

Maybe you guys are correct in saying that 2018 will be deeper at RB than 2017. I don't really know. I have not started watching these players enough to form a strong opinion about that.

What I do know is that 2017 was stronger than any of the previous draft classes, going back to 2008 as the deepest draft class recently.

So I am pushing back against that idea, and I would like you guys to back up that statement with a list of names to demonstrate how deep it actually is.

In my view 2017 was pretty special for RB. So I am skeptical of 2018 actually being deeper.

When I watch these players I will put my current incomplete views aside, but some of the RB being listed already in this thread such as Bryce Love and Royce Freeman seem over rated to me from what little of those two players that I have observed so far.

Here's a list.  All credit to @JohnnyU .  Kiper also called RB the strength of this class.  McShay claimed he currently has 9 guys with day 1 or 2 grades.  

1.01 - Saquan Barkley RB Penn St.

1.02 - Derrius Guice RB LSU

1.06 - Bryce Love RB Stanford

1.07 - Nick Chubb RB Georgia

1.08 - Ronald Jones II RB USC

1.10ish - Kerryon Johnson RB Auburn

1.11 - Damien Harris RB Alabama

1.12 - Royce Freeman RB Oregon

2.01 - Sony Michel RB Georgia

2.02 - Josh Adams RB Notre Dame

2.03 - Myles Gaskins RB Washington

2.04 - Bo Scarbrough RB Alabama

2.06 - Rashaad Penny RB SD St.

3.01 - L J Scott RB Mich St.

3.02 - Mike Weber RB Ohio St. (redshirt soph will jump early because Dobbins has taken his job)

3.05 - Mark Walton RB Miami

3.06 - Akrum Wadley RB Iowa

Thanks for the list. I think that helps further the discussion.

That is a lot of players (18) projected to be drafted in the first 3 rounds. Seems unlikely to me that this ultimately happens, but if that is how folks who do this for a living a grading them, I think that does support the idea of it being a deeper draft class than 2017. Hunt and Kamara were 3rd round picks in the draft.

Something that bothers me about that idea is Love and Freeman being ranked so highly, and pretty consistently ranked high at that. If the depth were so good, I would think a lot of other players would be ranked ahead of those RBs, instead of almost always seeing them near the top of the lists. But maybe I am wrong about thinking they are over rated. I haven't watched them enough to be sure about that. Just the impression I got from watching both players briefly.

There are a lot of these players who I haven't seen at all yet.

Kiper saying that RB is the strength of this class is relative to the other players in the draft class, and not the same as saying the RBs are deeper this year than last year. Although high draft grades is something that would suggest that, when comparing those grades to the 2017 grades.

I think there is still a lot of opportunity in the NFL for new RB to win jobs. The 2017 draft did fill a lot of them, but still a lot of openings for RB if they are as good as advertised.

If we're using hindsight on the likes of Kamara and Hunt - I think this class is likely to fall far short of the 2017 class, to be clear.  But at this point in the process, Kamara and Hunt fit in with the Johnsons, Michels, and Pennys, IMO. 

Thanks for the list. I think that helps further the discussion.

That is a lot of players (18) projected to be drafted in the first 3 rounds. Seems unlikely to me that this ultimately happens, but if that is how folks who do this for a living a grading them, I think that does support the idea of it being a deeper draft class than 2017. Hunt and Kamara were 3rd round picks in the draft.

Something that bothers me about that idea is Love and Freeman being ranked so highly, and pretty consistently ranked high at that. If the depth were so good, I would think a lot of other players would be ranked ahead of those RBs, instead of almost always seeing them near the top of the lists. But maybe I am wrong about thinking they are over rated. I haven't watched them enough to be sure about that. Just the impression I got from watching both players briefly.

There are a lot of these players who I haven't seen at all yet.

Kiper saying that RB is the strength of this class is relative to the other players in the draft class, and not the same as saying the RBs are deeper this year than last year. Although high draft grades is something that would suggest that, when comparing those grades to the 2017 grades.

I think there is still a lot of opportunity in the NFL for new RB to win jobs. The 2017 draft did fill a lot of them, but still a lot of openings for RB if they are as good as advertised.
To be clear, that's where JohnnyU expects them to be drafted in dynasty rookie drafts, not the NFL draft.  That would be insanity.  

I'll be curious to see if your opinion changes as you dive in a bit.  I'm really liking guys like Johnson, Penny, Michel and Harris, if we're talking about depth--guys I could draft in the late 1st and feel good about. 

Edit: Like you, I'm not a fan of Freeman.  I like Jones, but his frame is a huge issue.  I like him more as an NFL prospect than fantasy prospect right now.  

Thanks for clearing that up. I misunderstood.

NFL draft and fantasy draft very different.

I may be a bit slow to watch college players this year because of the Vikings hopefully going deep into the playoffs. I don't usually start watching them much until the NFL playoffs are over or don't matter to me.

Thanks for clearing that up. I misunderstood.

NFL draft and fantasy draft very different.

I may be a bit slow to watch college players this year because of the Vikings hopefully going deep into the playoffs. I don't usually start watching them much until the NFL playoffs are over or don't matter to me.
Yes, in my thread titled "2018 NFL Draft Dynasty Picks 3 rounds" I am referring to dynasty fantasy drafts, not NFL draft.

I see LJ Scott being mentioned. I'm a MSU alum so have watched a good deal of him and while I agree he could be a steal I could of sworn he was a junior this year and didn't reallly have the best year and if so I could easily see Dantonio talking him into staying and really improving his draft stock

Biabreakable said:
Really?

I doubt that as the 2017 RBs were very good. Maybe thie 2018 group is similarly deep and good, but I doubt it is actually stronger than 2017.
The jury is still out as we don’t know who will declare for the draft but there’s no doubt in my mind that this class as of “TODAY” :wink wink: is stronger.

ETA: To be clear I loved the 2017 class, I had 10 of the first 18 picks.

Tex

Biabreakable said:
I have only seen a couple games of Chubb but I thought he looked great when they actually used him.

As you mention Sony Mitchel also a good RB and part of the reason why they did not use Chubb more than they did. While he seems like a good player as well, I see Chubb fitting NFL offense better than Mitchel does. When they were using Mitchel a lot of the runs are to the outside, unlike Chubb.

I expect that you (and a lot of people here) have watched more college football than I have. So somewhat surprised that you don't think Chubb has proven enough with his play from this season.
I know you watch most if not all your games much later than most. I personally record every game I can and watch them during the week and later during the off-season because there’s almost always something or someone I missed.

But anyway, I like Chubb a lot but the Chubb Pre-injury was an absolute beast. This Chubb shows flashes, there were game were I was like DAMN he’s back then the following week he’d look a bit avagerage. I don’t know why that is it could be a logical explanation but this Chubb now just hasn’t separated himself from the pack. It’s like they are either just as good or better than him or he’s truly lost a step or two.

I agree, he’ll probably still be good at the next level but before his injury he was being compared (rightfully so) to the absolute best to ever play the game. Now, not so much so and considering this class is so deep he’s getting mixed in with the pack but they are really that damn good. If you like Chubb, when you finally get a chance to watch these others backs we’ll see what I mean. It’s not as much about just Chubb but also about how much the pack has caught up with the top tier as well.

Tex

Maybe you guys are correct in saying that 2018 will be deeper at RB than 2017. I don't really know. I have not started watching these players enough to form a strong opinion about that.

What I do know is that 2017 was stronger than any of the previous draft classes, going back to 2008 as the deepest draft class recently.

So I am pushing back against that idea, and I would like you guys to back up that statement with a list of names to demonstrate how deep it actually is.

In my view 2017 was pretty special for RB. So I am skeptical of 2018 actually being deeper.

When I watch these players I will put my current incomplete views aside, but some of the RB being listed already in this thread such as Bryce Love and Royce Freeman seem over rated to me from what little of those two players that I have observed so far.
When I get my final numbers together I will give you that comparison and for the record my statements had nothing to do with Love or Freeman in mind even though I like Love. I also think Freeman will be a “possible” 3rd round steal. Landing spot (scheme) is crucial with him.

ETA: I got Cook, Kamara, Mixon and Mack out of 2017 and I’m happy with those picks but I will get even better out of 2018. ;)

Tex

Concept Coop said:
I'm looking to target Richie a bunch as well.  What RB prospects look like good value in the very late 2nd-3rd round?
IMHO, a lot of talented guys could be pushed to the 2nd round. I say “could” because everyone hasn’t declared yet so it’s hard to say BUT...........I could give you a list of at least 20 backs to watch but here’s a few I’m very interested in. Jordan Wilkins only had 12 carries against the Monster known as Alabama but if you can watch that game look at how he made them look. Boston Scott is only 5’6 but he’s something special and he’s not small at all. He will probably be compared to Jones-Drew. I believe Josh Adams will climb up most boards but doesn’t get enough love. Kobe McCarary is another to look into. As of today I have 23 backs that I really like but that will get narrowed down a few times until my fantasy draft rolls around. I normally finish with a tiered top 10-12 and draft whoever falls to me. Then there’s Rashaad Penny whom I’ve been very high on the guy is very good. 

Tex

When I get my final numbers together I will give you that comparison and for the record my statements had nothing to do with Love or Freeman in mind even though I like Love. I also think Freeman will be a “possible” 3rd round steal. Landing spot (scheme) is crucial with him.

ETA: I got Cook, Kamara, Mixon and Mack out of 2017 and I’m happy with those picks but I will get even better out of 2018. ;)

Tex
What kind of numbers are you referencing here?

I am pretty curious about that.

I was thinking about trying to get a bit more serious about this for the 2018 draft and try to use a 1-10 rating in specific categories for the players, then once I am done with that for all the players of interest, to add them all up and see how that shakes out.

It is pretty much what I have already been doing, just not as detailed and specific before.

I was thinking to do it like this:

The following categories will be 1 for 1 in the composite grade

Vision - Spatial awareness and recognizing holes and cut back lanes.

Speed - pure speed

Acceleration - ability to change speed, make defenders miss with a burst of acceleration, gain separation.

Elusiveness - ability to make defenders miss. This is more related to juke moves and change of direction ability.

Burst - a combination of pad level and acceleration.

Power - ability to gain yards after contact and break tackles.

The following categories will be .5 for 1 in the composite grade

Footwork - The ability to make quick cuts in traffic. Similar to elusiveness but more subtle. Can just be changing a gap with step over moves.

Pad level - getting skinny and using leverage to make it difficult to tackle. Helps yards after contact.

Ball security - players ability to avoid fumbles.

Pass protection/blocking - blocking is important.

The following categories will be .5 for RB prospects but 1 for 1 for WR and TE.

Route running - related to vision but used for running routes in the passing game.

Hands - ability to catch the football.

That is 12 different traits. Some of these traits I think are more important than others, thus the different points awarded for them (1 or .5) in the composite score while still using a 1-10 scale for each one.

I do wonder if this is more effort than its worth? But these are basically the things I look for with college skill players.

Anything I have missed or should be trying to grade?

Maybe some think footwork is as important as say acceleration?

Since I have time I figured I would throw this idea out there and get some feedback.

I am curious what others may be doing while watching players and taking notes?

I will still consider things like college production and combine metrics also and try to convert those into a 1-10 scale as well. I think that is about how relatively important those things are. Maybe the college production should be worth two traits? I haven't really decided about that. The combine metrics being 1/14th or so of the overall grade seems about right to me though. I think the college production is a bit more important than that.

Then post draft the NFL draft position and fit come into play.

I will still try to fit the players into the 3 tiers for fantasy. But this more detailed way of grading the players should help me rank them a bit more precisely. It is still going to be very subjective though as far as what kind of grade I give each player in each of these traits.

I recognize there is some overlap with some of these traits. Trying to make each one distinct as I can.

It’s so hard to say how good or bad a class will be. This time last year, nobody had an idea that Hunt and Kamara would be so good. 

It’s so hard to say how good or bad a class will be. This time last year, nobody had an idea that Hunt and Kamara would be so good. 
No true, several of us was taughting Hunt and many were taughting Karma. The GREATEST asset to FBGs is this board. If you click on the right thread you’ll strike gold. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but you have to know what you’re looking for.

:twocents:

Tex

What kind of numbers are you referencing here?

I am pretty curious about that.

I was thinking about trying to get a bit more serious about this for the 2018 draft and try to use a 1-10 rating in specific categories for the players, then once I am done with that for all the players of interest, to add them all up and see how that shakes out.

It is pretty much what I have already been doing, just not as detailed and specific before.

I was thinking to do it like this:

The following categories will be 1 for 1 in the composite grade

Vision - Spatial awareness and recognizing holes and cut back lanes.

Speed - pure speed

Acceleration - ability to change speed, make defenders miss with a burst of acceleration, gain separation.

Elusiveness - ability to make defenders miss. This is more related to juke moves and change of direction ability.

Burst - a combination of pad level and acceleration.

Power - ability to gain yards after contact and break tackles.

The following categories will be .5 for 1 in the composite grade

Footwork - The ability to make quick cuts in traffic. Similar to elusiveness but more subtle. Can just be changing a gap with step over moves.

Pad level - getting skinny and using leverage to make it difficult to tackle. Helps yards after contact.

Ball security - players ability to avoid fumbles.

Pass protection/blocking - blocking is important.

The following categories will be .5 for RB prospects but 1 for 1 for WR and TE.

Route running - related to vision but used for running routes in the passing game.

Hands - ability to catch the football.

That is 12 different traits. Some of these traits I think are more important than others, thus the different points awarded for them (1 or .5) in the composite score while still using a 1-10 scale for each one.

I do wonder if this is more effort than its worth? But these are basically the things I look for with college skill players.

Anything I have missed or should be trying to grade?

Maybe some think footwork is as important as say acceleration?

Since I have time I figured I would throw this idea out there and get some feedback.

I am curious what others may be doing while watching players and taking notes?

I will still consider things like college production and combine metrics also and try to convert those into a 1-10 scale as well. I think that is about how relatively important those things are. Maybe the college production should be worth two traits? I haven't really decided about that. The combine metrics being 1/14th or so of the overall grade seems about right to me though. I think the college production is a bit more important than that.

Then post draft the NFL draft position and fit come into play.

I will still try to fit the players into the 3 tiers for fantasy. But this more detailed way of grading the players should help me rank them a bit more precisely. It is still going to be very subjective though as far as what kind of grade I give each player in each of these traits.

I recognize there is some overlap with some of these traits. Trying to make each one distinct as I can.
Yes, you’re on to a bit of what I do. There’s certain data AND events that are just fluff. The best way to explain it is that certain events, jargons, numbers, data, etc....are just entertainment. It all depends on YOUR view of Fantasy Football. Do you view it as a hobby? A game? This is important because not everyone IMHO do this for the same reason there is a difference but I view it more as a sports and with that I’ve learned what events is in important to what position and which data to concentrate on with certain positions as well. And like sports you “study” lol. Like a boxer for instance you study your opponents weaknesses and strengths but you have to know your own strengths and weaknesses as well. When you your opponent zip do you really zap? If so, why or how?

Again, it’s a sport to me and my lenses might be a little different than most. There’s no right on wrong unless your are “viewing” the EXACT same thing and it’s only then we can come to a conclusion which often takes time to develop. As someone who has made A LOT of mistakes in developing my craft in the Sport. It does take some luck as it’s a degree of “Probability” involved but it also takes some study and know what to look at and don’t waste your time with the fluff because it’s just entertaining to keep people involved.

What I mean by Sport it’s because how I view FF and I like making money doing this! Lol

Tex 

So I set up a spread sheet and I charted the first game for Nice Chiubb against Tennessee.

I am just looking at each play and if they demonstrate one of the traits listed above, then I note +1 in that category. If they do something negative then I note -1 in that category. On some plays there may be a combination of 2 or more of these traits demonstrated.

For this game I have Chubb with 5 in vision,  1 speed, 2 acceleration, 0 elusiveness, 3 burst, 3 power, 4 footwork, -1 pad level, 0 ball security, -1 blocking, 0 route running, -1 hands.

It didn't really take me that long to watch the cut ups on draft breakdown and note the above. I hadn't seen this game before and Chubb gets stuffed I think 3 times while he has two really nice runs, but otherwise a pretty normal game for a RB. Didn't look as impressive as one of the games I watched of his live earlier this year.

So I will just keep doing this for each player and hopefully be able to see 5 or more games for each player. Then I will add them all up at the end for the composite scores before assigning the 1-10 grade in each category.

I am still curious about what peoples opinions are on the importance of footwork? Equal to speed or power? Or not as important?

I was a bit disappointed with Chubbs pad level in this game. He is 5' 10 220 which is pretty much an ideal build for a RB but he didn't use pad level and leverage to his advantage as much as I think he could have in this game.

So I set up a spread sheet and I charted the first game for Nice Chiubb against Tennessee.

I am just looking at each play and if they demonstrate one of the traits listed above, then I note +1 in that category. If they do something negative then I note -1 in that category. On some plays there may be a combination of 2 or more of these traits demonstrated.

For this game I have Chubb with 5 in vision,  1 speed, 2 acceleration, 0 elusiveness, 3 burst, 3 power, 4 footwork, -1 pad level, 0 ball security, -1 blocking, 0 route running, -1 hands.

It didn't really take me that long to watch the cut ups on draft breakdown and note the above. I hadn't seen this game before and Chubb gets stuffed I think 3 times while he has two really nice runs, but otherwise a pretty normal game for a RB. Didn't look as impressive as one of the games I watched of his live earlier this year.

So I will just keep doing this for each player and hopefully be able to see 5 or more games for each player. Then I will add them all up at the end for the composite scores before assigning the 1-10 grade in each category.

I am still curious about what peoples opinions are on the importance of footwork? Equal to speed or power? Or not as important?

I was a bit disappointed with Chubbs pad level in this game. He is 5' 10 220 which is pretty much an ideal build for a RB but he didn't use pad level and leverage to his advantage as much as I think he could have in this game.
Just curious. You said above that burst is a combo of acceleration and pad level. So I’m wondering how he could get a 3 burst if his acceleration rated a 2and his pad level a -1?

Just curious. You said above that burst is a combo of acceleration and pad level. So I’m wondering how he could get a 3 burst if his acceleration rated a 2and his pad level a -1?
Well I have burst as a separate category although I recognize that it has some overlap with acceleration and pad level.

The 3 plays where I gave him a +1 in the burst category he hits the hole well and gains yards after contact on the plays. However this is distinct from the two plays where he shows good acceleration and creates a bad angle from doing that, and also different than the plays where I noted good or bad pad level. He has some plays in this game where he got zero for burst but a +1 or -1 on pad level, so that is how the final number ends up being different. The plays where I gave him +1 on acceleration were runs where he had more of a crease to work with, so space to demonstrate acceleration separate from burst. The plays where I noted burst, he didn't have as much space to work with. One of these plays he has good burst but bad pad level, that if he got a bit lower when hitting it, I think could have generated more yards after contact. So still a +1 for burst, but a -1 for pad level on the same play.

I am experimenting with this, and so if you or anyone has suggestions about a better way to approach it, I am all ears.

eta - Thanks for the question. Look at the play at the 1:30 mark of the clips. On this play I see good footwork by Chubb to step back inside behind his block and burst to hit this hole, however he runs upright, where if he had better pad level should have gained more yards after contact. So this would be my example of +1 burst but -1 pad level. He gets turned backwards on contact instead of being able to fall forward. He shows vision and footwork on this play as well. Because of the cut inside to use his block (as the defender gets outside leverage on the block filling the outside hole) may be the reason why he doesn't get low enough here. It is all happening pretty quickly. It is good burst in my view however because of his acceleration after he cuts inside, he is able to get past the defender who is crashing inside and get in front of him with this burst of speed.

Users who are viewing this thread