What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP **** Enberg (1 Viewer)

Madden and Summerall got most of the fanfare, and deservedly so, but Enberg and Merlin Olsen were a hugely underrated broadcasting team. They did the big AFC games each week, which usually involved Oakland, Miami or Denver, and that's what  remember most from him.

Enberg did not have an ounce of self-promotion in him. He may have been even more popular otherwise. "Ohhhh my" was legitimate excitement.

"Do kids ever tire of Christmas? The excitement of this job is never dull because in all the years and thousands of games I've called, I've never done the same one twice." — **** Enberg

He was extremely versatile, working as wide a variety of sports as anyone.  His style complimented an even greater variety of broadcast partners including idiosyncratic ones like Al McGuire and Bud Collins.  Enberg's solid play-by-play gave his color men tons of rope to play with but you got the feeling that Enberg enjoyed hearing their stories as much as they liked to tell them.

I loved it when he came out of retirement to do Padres television broadcasts in recent years.  San Diego could be 30 games back but his presence in the booth made meaningless games seem more important.  But even as a broadcasting legend, he never made himself bigger than the game.

:(  Sad that he had his bags packed for a trip to Boston (working?), but never made it.  I'm glad he didn't suffer.  Nice man, great broadcaster.  

Easily my favorite announcer as a kid.

Sundays were for going over to play football at a friend's house where we'd made a football field complete with a goal post at one end for extra points. Then coming back home, battered and bruised, and lying in front of the fireplace and watching the afternoon game that usually seemed to have Enberg and Olson calling them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved his voice.  Great combination of knowledge and warmth that you don’t see in broadcasting much anymore. 

R.I.P.  to a true legend. 

I still remember his dialogue at the end of Super Bowl 32 about John Elway, regarding him crying the prior year when they lost to Jacksonville and how this, the win over the Packers, was the culmination of a Hall of Fame QB.  Just perfect. 

Madden and Summerall got most of the fanfare, and deservedly so, but Enberg and Merlin Olsen were a hugely underrated broadcasting team. They did the big AFC games each week, which usually involved Oakland, Miami or Denver, and that's what  remember most from him.
Some of my earliest football on TV memories are of Enberg and Olsen, and me being confused why the guy on Little House on the Prairie knew so much about football.

On the mount Rushmore of all time sports broadcasters. In a class all by himself.

RIP to a legend.

On the mount Rushmore of all time sports broadcasters. In a class all by himself.

RIP to a legend.

Tell me this 1988 AFC Playoff game opening doesn't take you back. Enberg delivered that week in, week out in at least four sports (baseball, football, basketball, and tennis) not counting his iconic Olympic coverage.

Requiescat in pace.
Not to get off subject.....but watching that reminds me of how bad the NFL is today. And how they have destroyed the broadcast experience with Instant Replay and the endless noise of talking about what makes a catch and so many horrible announcers we have today who just do not have the elegant delivery of Enberg.

The golden goose is truly dead. 

Enberg was part of the golden age of the NFL. A huge part of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
all of my guys are gone or going its pretty sad for me brohans enjoy the time you get with the guys you like is all i can say take that to the bank 

Seriously had the perfect voice for his job.   Seemed intelligent but not overbearing.   He pulled you into the games but then was so good that you didn't notice him.  Legend.  

... so many horrible announcers we have today who just do not have the elegant delivery of Enberg.
Man, didn't Enberg's enthusiasm make even the promotional material sound cool? "The Heartbeat of America ... Chevrolet!" Announcers today usually deliver that stuff with a disaffected "whatevs" tone. Yeah, it's boilerplate and nowhere near the main course of the broadcast ... but Enberg's professionalism on even the smallest details of the broadcast made a huge difference to the listener's anticipation of the event itself.

These days ... if you miss the first 10 minutes of an NFL game broadcast, do you really feel like you've missed anything?

Easily my favorite announcer as a kid.

Sundays were for going over to play football at a friend's house where we'd made a football field complete with a goal post at one end for extra points. Then coming back home, battered and bruised, and lying in front of the fireplace and watching the afternoon game that usually seemed to have Enberg and Olson calling them.
:thumbup:   Same here.  Early football & home to listen to Enberg call Raiders games when they were on regularly. Ate a lot of Sunday dinners with either Enberg or Summerall.

Rough couple of years. So many voices that made the soundtrack of my life have been silenced.  

Great announer, but his work with Merlin Olson on the national AFC games will always stand out to me.  If I close my I can still hear **** and Merlin calling a Raiders/Broncos game from Mile High with my dad while my mom’s chili cooks in the kitchen.  

That era had so many great teams and personalities. **** Enberg was a big part of that era.  RIP. 

Watched a Sports Challenge last night on YouTube.   1957 Yankees vs 1957 Mil Braves and then the Yankees again vs LA Kings.  Just amazing.  On most of the clips, he would recreate the play by play again and in everyone, it sounds like he was actually there when it happened.  

I only missed a handful of his radio broadcast of the ten years of Angels games with my radio under my pillow. Same with Chick Hearn and the Lakers   

Loved Enberg. He and Scully the ultimate play by play guys for a generation imo.  

RIP

Watched a Sports Challenge last night on YouTube.   1957 Yankees vs 1957 Mil Braves and then the Yankees again vs LA Kings.  Just amazing.  On most of the clips, he would recreate the play by play again and in everyone, it sounds like he was actually there when it happened.  

I only missed a handful of his radio broadcast of the ten years of Angels games with my radio under my pillow. Same with Chick Hearn and the Lakers   
I used to love that show

Baseball, football, basketball, golf, whatever. He was great at what he did and made it enjoyable for the audience every time. RIP to one of the greatest. 

The consummate professional and my favorite announcer of all time. I loved that he always did the big AFC games back when I was a huge fan of the Dolphins back in the Shula era.

Todem said:
Not to get off subject.....but watching that reminds me of how bad the NFL is today. And how they have destroyed the broadcast experience with Instant Replay and the endless noise of talking about what makes a catch and so many horrible announcers we have today who just do not have the elegant delivery of Enberg.

The golden goose is truly dead. 

Enberg was part of the golden age of the NFL. A huge part of it.
Preach dot gif

RIP ****. 

Users who are viewing this thread