What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Season - FIVE THINGS I VOW TO DO FOR 2018 (1 Viewer)

TZMarkie

Footballguy
 Each year, I have a pad and pen, and jot down notes all along the fantasy season. Sure, I remember the players and many intricacies enough, but writing down small things......AT LEAST FOR ME helps to reinforce certain points for the following fantasy year.

You would be surprised when you do this, and you look back during the following year , how often if you violate your own "rules" preseason so to speak, how often it comes back to haunt you. 

Many of us as the new season approaches, tend to forget the bitterness of being stung by an injured player (we swore we would never draft again)...... or simple things like "drafting a QB early", "drafting a TE early", or any one of a number of rules or concepts that many of us have.  We often try to stick to them, but sometimes we get sucked back in to the hype, and time after time we get burned.   Going back to the well on high injury-risk players is a big one, and most often its running backs.

I thought it was important to write this while this season is  still going on , as its so many things still fresh in our minds, that may not be lingering there in a couple months. We might tend to forget many things that helped us along the way, especially if we have successful seasons and possibly win championships. Think about it, the winner usually tells himself "I won, so I had a great season, my skill this year was a tad better than the others", or whatever it is the average guy tells himself when he wins.  :D

I on the other hand, like to think back in my successful seasons AS WELL AS MY BAD SEASONS , because I think you can learn just as much in your winning seasons, as you can in your poor ones.

This is something, that we can use to our advantage, as the next season approaches. This can be general fantasy concepts, or even many specific cases or players to target/avoid next year. Months from now we can look this back over, and read things we swore we would do in next years drafts. (It also may be entertaining to read, even if its something not quite as "helpful", because no doubt there will be many  situations and backfields that change drastically.)

I could write close to an endless list, but here are 5 things I will use and remember next year if I can.

IN 2018 I VOW TO TRY TO -

#1 - STAY AWAY FROM THE CLEVELAND BROWNS BACKFIELD - (The addendum should be "until there is proof/or a track record of a competent running game")  This is literally every year, one of the big RB stories heading into the season. Typically its "there is going to be great value in the Cleveland backfield", but this year it was just all out hype, and O-Line praise.  This past offseason, I got "sucked in" to the hype yet again. I told myself like everyone did..."That line will be the best in football, Crowell should give you at least strong RB2 #s  etc. etc". Horse####. This is literally like the 4th year in a row, possibly 5, I talked myself into drafting a Browns RB early, and Crowell was just a cancer. I actually traded for Crowell after week 2 in one league, figuring the workload would at least make him a low end RB2. Well, finally before the week 8 Sunday I dropped him. Until that point he had 78 carries, and not even had broken 9 fantasy points in fantasy in any week. (Owners should know the story - that week was a London game, vs a stout MINNESOTA defense. It was an easy cut, then he promptly got his first TD of the year.)  :wall:     All that Crowell and situation BS aside, had I just not traded for him and avoided it completely, I may have had a far easier season in the 2 leagues I had Crowell in.  Maybe next year I will finally "JUST SAY NO!" and stay away from that scenario altogether.  (Now, I want to state, our leagues are start 3WRs, and I tend to go WR-WR early in drafts if I can, and get by on "RB2-ish type backs".  Those type value backs and scenarios are how I often get by, Cleveland has just been a notoriously bad RB scenario the last few years) 

#2 - CONTINUE TO STAY AWAY FROM "INJURY RISK" or "OLD" PLAYERS -  Several players I swore off last year were - AARON RODGERS, JORDY NELSON and KEENAN ALLEN. These are in fact good examples, because they go both ways on my draft day decisions. When word came out that AARON RODGERS  was training with a "Hollywood trainer" in the offseason,(and was opting to train on his own, and away from team facilities and early activities there) I told my buddy "I want absolutely nothing to do with Aaron Rodgers, I bet he gets injured at some point."  Many other small rumors came out, his breakup with Olivia Munn "affected him", he was supposedly leading more of a "Hollywood lifestyle", and he was even "neglecting his family" in that sense, never calling them , not giving them tickets to games, I remember reading all sorts of wild things. (and I generally don't care about players personal lives if I can help it...but a buddy showed me a few links preseason, as he is a fan of Rodgers, and wanted my opinion)   Anyway, the point is, I am not saying "I'm right" about Rodgers because he got injured. But the few times he has been injured, all the "gossip" in the preseason, and a few other small things just soured me on his situation. He is good when he is rolling, but the risk is just too great for me now, there is just too many other factors making me steer clear of him. Case #2 is JORDY NELSON -  I went on record and told several friends of mine, "I want nothing to do with Jordy Nelson" this year either. This time, it is the many injuries he has been through, and the biggest part of why I wanted no parts of him this year, is many times last year he looked like he had lost a step.... especially early in the season.   Another case where all the small things, plus age and he looked to be dropping off last season, well that all saved me a massive headache this year. Case #3 is KEENAN ALLEN . Another one plagued by many injuries, and several seemed to be very flukey, I vowed to steer clear of his this year. Well, this time it "backfired" if you want to call it that. He has had a great season, in particular a 4-5 week stretch up until last week. (He didn't really have a great October though) Point is, we all make calls.  We all make choices in drafts, and try and stay away from certain players. Over the last 5 +  years, it has worked out pretty well for me, when I decide to avoid certain players, it generally is a wise move. (Often it takes a multitude of issues or things to happen for me to put them on my "avoid list", its not just a personal thing)   Call it a gut call, or whatever you want to say, this "avoid list" has generally been the right decision for me personally, the last number of years. I already have a list of guys I am steering clear of next year, and you should at least mentally make a list and follow it too. (Yes, Rodgers and Nelson and  Keenan Allen will all be on my "do NOT draft list" going into next year) There are other notables, but for a variety of reasons DEMARYIUS THOMAS is now on my list. ODELL BECKHAM JR. is borderline/close to my list as well, and is likely to be another I avoid next year.

#3 -  ACT QUICKER WHEN A STARTER IS "UNDERPERFORMING/NON-PERFORMING" -   I call this the "silent killer" in fantasy. Continuously rolling out a big name player, even after he is slowly sucking the life out of your team, week in and week out with abysmal production.  I have always been guilty of "sticking with" a stud  player, even when its starting to become apparent he should be benched. This season, I have been fortunate and had success (deep playoff runs) in 3/4 of my leagues. But one player I was high on this year was MARCUS MARIOTA. In fact I drafted Mariota in 3 of my 4 leagues, and the only reason I didn't nab him in the last league, was I just wanted to diversify a bit and not be tied to him in every league .  In all of my leagues I consider a "success" this year, I acted and benched Mariota (and others) when it just wasn't working early on.In fact I benched him after week 2, in 2 leagues. I stuck with him for TOO LONG in one though, and you guessed it.......thats the one league where I didn't make the playoffs. As it turns out, I likely wouldn't have made the playoffs had I benched him sooner there in that league anyway, as there were also other big name players that should have likely been benched sooner than I did. This is a concept I have always struggled with, and I suspect it bothers many , "knowledgeable" fantasy players. Just when should you take a guy out, and replace him? I don't know if any of you have any personal rules of thumb, but I am open to hearing what many of you do. Its especially difficult in the "elite players" cases. Check out Julio Jones this year. I never did outright bench him, but it crossed my mind a couple of times.  In the future, I need to have the intestinal fortitude to react quicker and faster when it comes to benching players, making trades etc.

#4 -  CONTINUE TO AVOID EARLY ROUND QBS -  This should be pretty self explanatory. In a year where we had the explosion of CARSON WENTZ, the strong rookie showing of DESHAUN WATSON  (until injury), the totally unexpected great numbers at times by ALEX SMITH , and other interesting cases  :P with CASE KEENUM, JARED GOFF, BLAKE BORTLES and others, this is just another year where we can say it was better to wait on QB. I know many here have been on that bandwagon for a few years (or far longer). With each year that passes, I just see less and less of a need to draft a QB early, unless you are in a 2QB league or certain have settings that warrant it.

#5 - PAY MORE ATTENTION TO DEFENSES AND KICKERS -  (especially towards the end-of-season) I have always thought these positions were "neglected". Everyone wants to have a kicker that "goes off" right? HARRISON BUTKER, ROBBIE GOULD, GREG ZUERLEIN and a few others, helped people win weeks here and there. That is a bit harder to judge on a week to week basis.    But one thing I personally need to do is try and nab a strong defense for the playoffs. You can generally spot these about 8-10 weeks into the season, and most good fantasy players will try and  pick up a good defense with a strong end-of-season schedule 2-3 weeks in advance.  In 1 particular league this year, I wish I had acted sooner.  I have found myself starting a defense I am not completely happy with, and several of the big ones are long gone of course, and even many of the "mid tier" defenses are now gone too. I ended up with something serviceable, but man isn't it good to roll out a defense that can put up 15+ on a given week? (or more) Thats such a massive edge in the playoffs if you happen to have it.

These are just a few of the things I "vow to do for 2018", and I will undoubtedly add in a few more sooner.

What are some of the issues that have come up, that many of you are already swearing to remember or vow to do/not do next year when the season rolls around?

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
You are delusional on #2
Not delusional in the slightest.

I have scores of players I avoided, and ultimately it tends to turn out for the better in most cases. (Now, that aside, I am not saying "I was right" just because Aaron Rodgers got hurt) But whenever there are many points and reasons that make me want to personally steer clear of a certain player or scenario, it usually works out for the better.  Its like the old running back statement... "I would rather give up one year too soon, than one year too late". You can win these leagues without tying yourself to one individual player, or players.  These are just a few I avoided this year.  ( This year only, I also avoided Ezekiel Elliot....not because he isn't good, but more so I didn't want to deal with the suspension headache)

So one can say "You were wrong on Keenan Allen" , well I may have been, but if a player has multiple issues over the course of several seasons, I would just as soon stay away from a known injury risk.  If you choose to draft a known injury risk, and you are successful with that player and get a good season, then great~!  But I don't like taking on board even more risk than one usually gets from the usual running back position.

TZM

Don’t be afraid to drop a guy.

I found myself holding guys like Crowell and martavis on my bench instead of cutting bait. I even had offers for martavis but kept saying “as soon as I get rid of him he’s going off for 150/2” and held and held. Still have him I’m fact, and am starting juju instead in the one week I might zconsider using him....every year I convince myself that my late round picks are worth more than a week 2 ww guy. 

In one league in particular I won’t ever draft an injured qb (luck) again. I don’t mind that Irsay lied all summer about his status, it cost me a double digit pick and I got burned. But it really really burned me when Winston, my other qb, got a bye scheduled week 1, leaving me without a qb and no we until after week 1. Had to give a late pick (and luck) for dalton, who then scored me -2 points. 

Derek Carr has made my “never again” list for fumbling my championship hopes away. 

Don’t be afraid to drop a guy.

I found myself holding guys like Crowell and martavis on my bench instead of cutting bait.

In one league in particular I won’t ever draft an injured qb (luck) again. I don’t mind that Irsay lied all summer about his status

Derek Carr has made my “never again” list for fumbling my championship hopes away. 
<some snip>

I need to make myself act faster when cutting and dropping guys in general.

You mention ANDREW LUCK , and he instantly hit my "do not draft list" when the first word came out that he "might not be ready to play until early season", and of course by then it was known he wasn't going to do much if anything in the preseason. I just can't see spending precious draft capital  (in many cases very early rounds) on situations like this.  Oddly enough, last year I told a couple of guys when they asked what QB I was targeting in 2017, I said Luck immediately.

Once that injury crap sets in, if its something that has the look and smell of any type of multi-week situation, I generally avoid any of those guys in the drafts. I let the other guys have to screw up their rosters for weeks. People don't realize a win in week 2, is just as important as a win in week 12 at the end of the season. One win often makes the difference in a playoff appearance.

It usually takes about 10-12 "bigger name" guys out of the mix for me in drafts every year, but I don't mind. Like I mentioned when responding to cockroach, "You can win these leagues without tying yourself to one individual player or players".  It has saved me a ton of issues and headaches when avoiding these players.

On Derek Carr -  I know it stings Snorkelson. But those types of reasons aren't usually the types of reasons I personally avoid players, usually its a combination of factors. General injury risk, situation, poor performance and age. Most often its some combo of all 4 of those that causes me avoid players. (actually there is a 5th reason, but its a minor one, thats being a knucklehead.......and then I usually add that in to the other reasons) Like ODELL BECKHAM JR. seems to be a bit of an idiot at times, like that time where he was suspended for a game for fighting with Josh Norman, Cortland Finnegan.  Things like that won't make me NOT draft him altogether, but adding that in with other factors like injury risk, its just yet another reason to steer clear. I haven't owned him since his rookie year, but if I were to draft him next year, knowing he may be suspended at any time for acting like a moron would always be in the back of my mind. It certainly wouldn't surprise me anyway.

I likely won't have Carr next year though. But thats because he has just looked flat out awful at times this year.

TZM

Oh, I traded at the deadline for MJD years ago and he did nothing the last 3 weeks of the season and it dropped me from division win/bye to out of the playoffs. “Never again”, even though MJD had a couple solid seasons after that. Clearly just “you pissed me off” bias, which yes, I know I should ignore in FFL like homerism, but I’m stubborn like that. Carr’s season was disappointing and likely makes someone’s team as a backup but it won’t be mine. Ameer Abdullah will still be a rb1 too.....go lions.

I'd be real careful about #3. I made a huge mistake this year of dropping Jordan Howard after his horrible first 2 weeks. Keep in mind this is a very shallow bench league - we can only have 3 RBs on our roster. It just seemed like there was something wrong with him and that Chicago's offense was going to suck.

I vow to have more patience with my first 3-4 picks. Sometimes it takes 3-4 weeks for a guy to get going. You certainly hope that's not the case, but this might've been the biggest blunder I've ever made in fantasy football. I barely missed the playoffs and may actually win the total pts championship. I would be in the actual championship game had I held onto Howard because that would've given me at least 1 more win and my team has dominated the last 2 weeks...

:wall:

So one can say "You were wrong on Keenan Allen" , well I may have been, but if a player has multiple issues over the course of several seasons, I would just as soon stay away from a known injury risk.  If you choose to draft a known injury risk, and you are successful with that player and get a good season, then great~!  But I don't like taking on board even more risk than one usually gets from the usual running back position.

TZM
I don't mind the rule however I think you missed on Keenan Allen because you categorized him as injury prone.  As you alluded to his injuries were of the freak/unfortunate variety (lacerated kidney, ACL).  Injury prone to me are soft tissue injury guys (hamstrings, etc) or concussions.  Those linger and come up every year even if they don't miss multiple games....think Alshon Jeffrey or Jordan Reed.   They are injury prone players.  Too many soft tissue injuries/concussions that lead to being questionable all the time.

Keenan Allen doesn't fall into that category and I wouldn't label him as injury prone.

Yep. 

I'm still hanging on to Beshard perriman in dynasty :bag:  (mostly because there isn't much on the wire)
This is a big one for me.  I'm so afraid of being "right, but too impatient" I end up holding guys like this and missing on value spikes like Keelan Cole, for example.  I still haven't dropped Maxx Williams!

This is a big one for me.  I'm so afraid of being "right, but too impatient" I end up holding guys like this and missing on value spikes like Keelan Cole, for example.  I still haven't dropped Maxx Williams!
Ever since I dropped Tom Brady and then Antonio Gates I've been really reluctant. Thankfully the roster is large enough there that I do get guys like Cole.

I don't mind the rule however I think you missed on Keenan Allen because you categorized him as injury prone.  As you alluded to his injuries were of the freak/unfortunate variety (lacerated kidney, ACL).  Injury prone to me are soft tissue injury guys (hamstrings, etc) or concussions.  Those linger and come up every year even if they don't miss multiple games....think Alshon Jeffrey or Jordan Reed.   They are injury prone players.  Too many soft tissue injuries/concussions that lead to being questionable all the time.

Keenan Allen doesn't fall into that category and I wouldn't label him as injury prone.
:goodposting:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Stay the hell away from guys with concussions or soft tissue injuries (sound the 2018 Leonard Fournette warning siren here!), but there's lots of profit to be made in buying low on guys like Allen, whose "injury risk" is most likely nothing but a run of bad luck.

My vow for 2018: Remember that progression (and regression) are not linear.

If it's better to get out a year too early than a year too late, sometimes it's also better to get in a year too late than a year too early. Winston and Mariota both finished as low-end QB1s last season, so it was logical to build in growth and project them as mid-range QB1s this season. Which is all well and good, except that's where they were already going by ADP. That's the textbook definition of "buying someone at their ceiling".

Similarly with names like Ty Montgomery, Derrick Henry, Terrelle Pryor, DeVante Parker (all of which I owned shares of). Even guys who aren't suckers for raw talent like I am can see it's evident in them, but the chasm from "stud talent" to "stud production" is a big one. Sometimes the leap takes years, many times it never happens at all. Investing in young uber-talents as bench depth is how you win leagues - but if you're counting on them as starters, you'd better have a good backup plan.

1: wait even longer on a qb 

2: drink more at draft

3: avoid players looking at suspension

4: draft better players

5: don’t touch the strippers 

Gally said:

:goodposting:

Came here to post this exact thought. I think it also raises a broader issue about the value of information.

Fantasy football these days is like the stock market. There is so much information available, even compared to five or ten years ago, that it's very hard to gain a meaningful advantage from it. However, there are still a few areas where the market doesn't seem to have caught up, and savvy FF owners can still gain an advantage.

I think injuries are one such area. As much as we like to complain that most fantasy football podcasts are nothing more than supposed "experts" spouting their opinions, there's an increasing trend of integrating medical expertise into shows, specifically people like Dr. Jene on FBG and Stephania Bell on ESPN. These people have taught me a ton, not just about who is likely to play in a given week, but how to think about different injuries. Bell has even launched a spinoff podcast where she does deep dives on common sports injuries. 

Anyway, all preseason long, Bell was making this exact point about Allen: ACL tears and lacerated kidneys are freak accidents that tell us nothing about how prone a player is to injury. It was largely on that basis that I picked Allen in the second round.

Incidentally, two of my other favorite podcasts that offer an information edge are Harris Football and the Late Round Podcast. Harris watches a crap-ton of film, and JJ Zachariason goes way deep on numbers (Mike Clay of ESPN is also very good with that, specifically charting WR/CB matchups). That doesn't mean they've discovered some secret sauce, or that their analysis is always correct. But it does mean that they can offer you information that may not be widely disseminated among fantasy owners.

cockroach said:
You are delusional on #2
Agreed.  Rodgers isn't injury prone just caught a bad break.  Throw enough darts at the board you're bound to hit a bullseye now and then.  You could argue you were avoiding him because his ADP that makes sense.  To say you avoided him because you thought he was an injury risk is comical.

TZMarkie said:
Not delusional in the slightest.

I have scores of players I avoided, and ultimately it tends to turn out for the better in most cases. (Now, that aside, I am not saying "I was right" just because Aaron Rodgers got hurt) But whenever there are many points and reasons that make me want to personally steer clear of a certain player or scenario, it usually works out for the better.  Its like the old running back statement... "I would rather give up one year too soon, than one year too late". You can win these leagues without tying yourself to one individual player, or players.  These are just a few I avoided this year.  ( This year only, I also avoided Ezekiel Elliot....not because he isn't good, but more so I didn't want to deal with the suspension headache)

TZM
I was there with you on Jordy, and I can totally see how you reached your conclusion on Rodgers, but gotta disagree on Keenan Allen.  Not all injuries are indicia of frailty/faulty technique/inadequate training.

In my opinion, he had one relevant prior injury back in August... the ACL tear from 2016.  This is not hindsight... there are numerous threads back in August where many knowledgeable dynasty folks talked about the fact that he was not an injury risk.

One thing I promise to do in 2018 is to continue to Focus on the head coaches and what they do (more than what they say).  I grabbed Burkhead off the wire late preseason when I learned it was Belichek that wanted him brought to NE... Bill plays "his" guys.  When I heard that all Payton did with Kamara predraft was go through the whole route tree, I figured he had a very bright PPR future.  When I heard Harbaugh originally wanted to draft Collins and that he had tried multiple times to get other RBs despite having a few names on the roster, I knew to pick him up off the wire soon after the ravens singed Collins.

That's the good.  Now the bad.

Don't get too preoccupied with Opportunity.  If the player has not shown elite talent at some point, then they are not worth much, even when given an ideal opportunity.  I wasted early waiver wire priority on Kerwyn Williams after DJ went down... I drafted TWest too early (Like 7th round when he really should have been 12th)  

Don't miss out on talent just because of same team/position roster conflict.  I had Rams WR Sammy Watkins in dynasty so I passed on adding Cooper Kupp even though I loved him at draft time.

Trade Players you Don't Trust, Even if Everyone Thinks You Are Crazy to do So.  At some point last season I lost my trust in Amari Cooper.  When he did well, I was relieved rather than pleased.  When you have a player like that (high ranked but you don't trust them) for your own emotional wellbeing, make the trade. 

Stay Away from your NFL Team.  No matter how objective we try to be, we will never look at our own team's players fairly.  We are destined to over or under value them.  Better to just stay away.

One thing I can agree on is that if Rodgers hadn't (Chris Farley voice) gone all PRIMA DONA with that GD HOLLYWOOD trainer, then he would've been doing proper COLLARBONE CURLS and it wouldn't have SHATTERED LIKE GLASS when 250 pounds of FULL STEAM LINEBACKER landed on it. (/Chris Farley voice)  :suds:

Trade Players you Don't Trust, Even if Everyone Thinks You Are Crazy to do So. 
In 2018, I need to quit thinking about it and learn the art of The Trade.  I tend to take the "a bird in the hand . . . . . " approach to the players on my roster.  That, and counting on the SP to give me a one week head start over my league mates on ww gems has made me lazy about trading.

My biggest weakness, as I see it, is struggling through sit/start decisions. I have won and lost leagues and made or missed the playoffs based on one lineup decision. I typically crush drafts and I feel like I'm a solid trader, evaluator and I'm strong on the waiver wire and with roster management. But I will 2nd guess and go back and forth between Jamaal Williams vs the Vikes tomorrow or McKinnon in the same game ten more times in my head tonight and tomorrow. I really don't like either option. Kelvin Benjamin is an option as well. Would have been Davante Adams.  I'm not saying this to solicit advice. It's just an example and it is happening right now. 

My biggest weakness, as I see it, is struggling through sit/start decisions. I have won and lost leagues and made or missed the playoffs based on one lineup decision. I typically crush drafts and I feel like I'm a solid trader, evaluator and I'm strong on the waiver wire and with roster management. But I will 2nd guess and go back and forth between Jamaal Williams vs the Vikes tomorrow or McKinnon in the same game ten more times in my head tonight and tomorrow. I really don't like either option. Kelvin Benjamin is an option as well. Would have been Davante Adams.  I'm not saying this to solicit advice. It's just an example and it is happening right now. 
If it's causing you so much agita, and you feel like you keep getting it wrong, take the decision out of your hands. Use Fantasy Pros average of expert rankings, or find a particular ranker whose opinion you trust, and then, when in doubt, go with whoever he or she ranks higher. I don't do that all the time, but occasionally when I'm really stumped I'll just defer to someone else. 

The other thing is that as long as you have a process, whether it's outsourcing the decision or something else, trust that process and don't beat yourself up over outcomes. I started J Williams last week and he stunk, which I suspected might happen, but he had been one of my hottest players the four weeks before that, and I decided I was going to ride that pony until he slowed down. So I didn't stress over it despite the bad outcome.

I know that analyzing decisions is one of the things that makes fantasy fun, but if it stops being fun, take it off your plate and focus on the aspects you do enjoy.

Same. It gets amplified in "start once" leagues. Which are fun but I won't play DFS. 

Agreed.  Rodgers isn't injury prone just caught a bad break.  Throw enough darts at the board you're bound to hit a bullseye now and then.  You could argue you were avoiding him because his ADP that makes sense.  To say you avoided him because you thought he was an injury risk is comical.
I knew fully well before I posted the original "I avoided Aaron Rodgers" that it would be controversial.

But if everyone that disagreed with my original point on Rodgers thought that "I avoided Aaron Rodgers because of injury risk" , then they failed to read the rest of that post....or comprehend the bigger point.

The fact is, I avoided Rodgers for a multitude of reasons , that was just one.  I made that pretty clear.  All the "Hollywood trainer" BS preseason is also a big warning flag for me. Frankly, I don't even care if that concerns many of you or not. Every time a player thinks they are "smarter than the system" when it comes to training and staying in football shape (and they opt to train a little outside the box or away from normal team activities) then I try and steer clear.  But even that was only one of many factors.

I hoped I didn't have to point this out, but its glaringly obvious. #4 - CONTINUE TO AVOID EARLY ROUND QUARTERBACKS    That is just another big reason I avoided Aaron Rodgers. All those reasons combined, I had no desire to have any parts of Rodgers this season. When my buddy asked, I told him why.

(This is also one of the many reasons I wanted no part of Jordy Nelson, was my concern with Rodgers. Plus the fact he seemed to have lost a step last year at times, and he is now at that age where I get cautious.)

This isn't about necessarily discussing just my opinions though guys, its about everyone's thoughts on how they are approaching next season. Feel free to agree or disagree with anything I write.

TZM

BlueDredSo said:
I'd be real careful about #3. I made a huge mistake this year of dropping Jordan Howard after his horrible first 2 weeks. Keep in mind this is a very shallow bench league - we can only have 3 RBs on our roster. It just seemed like there was something wrong with him and that Chicago's offense was going to suck.

I vow to have more patience with my first 3-4 picks. Sometimes it takes 3-4 weeks for a guy to get going. You certainly hope that's not the case, but this might've been the biggest blunder I've ever made in fantasy football. I barely missed the playoffs and may actually win the total pts championship. I would be in the actual championship game had I held onto Howard because that would've given me at least 1 more win and my team has dominated the last 2 weeks...

:wall:

I tend to have a bit more patience with top 10-ish guys at their respective positions, most especially running backs .    I didn't get Howard anywhere this preseason because I thought he was being anointed this top 5-ish guy a bit sooner than what I would have thought was appropriate.  That aside, had I drafted him, I never would have cut him after week 2, he would have been sitting on my bench along with 4+ other RBs I suppose.

I will say I was perilously close to outright dropping CJ Anderson  mid-season this year though.  I ended up packaging him with another player in a trade though.

That makes me remember another "vow" though.   "STAY AWAY FROM CJ ANDERSON IN 2018" :D     I got sucked in again last season on him. 

TZM

My only rule is don't ever listen to someone elses rules at the end of a fantasy football season. 
I don't mind these reviews.  What's going to bug me is the off-season mocks on FantasyFootballCalculator, and the "I've won all ten of my leagues for ten years in a row" guys that show up.  I hate to turn off chat, there's some great info at times.

If it's causing you so much agita, and you feel like you keep getting it wrong, take the decision out of your hands. Use Fantasy Pros average of expert rankings, or find a particular ranker whose opinion you trust, and then, when in doubt, go with whoever he or she ranks higher. I don't do that all the time, but occasionally when I'm really stumped I'll just defer to someone else. 

The other thing is that as long as you have a process, whether it's outsourcing the decision or something else, trust that process and don't beat yourself up over outcomes. I started J Williams last week and he stunk, which I suspected might happen, but he had been one of my hottest players the four weeks before that, and I decided I was going to ride that pony until he slowed down. So I didn't stress over it despite the bad outcome.

I know that analyzing decisions is one of the things that makes fantasy fun, but if it stops being fun, take it off your plate and focus on the aspects you do enjoy.
All good advice there. I don't get agitated about it and I have a ton of fun with it. One of my "rules" that I try to live up to, but not always, is that I almost always go with my gut. I've been more successful by far doing it that way. I also don't regret it when I swing and miss, like with JWilliams last week for me as well.  But I can definitely go back and forth a bit. I'm actually now adding another couple names in the mix that I mentioned above. So now I'm pondering one of 5 names for my last flex. But I'm in the Championship Round! This is what we sign up for!

I don't mind these reviews.  What's going to bug me is the off-season mocks on FantasyFootballCalculator, and the "I've won all ten of my leagues for ten years in a row" guys that show up.  I hate to turn off chat, there's some great info at times.
 I posted this to hear from a bunch of people. I am of the opinion that the more opinions and information we have to sort through, then we can make our own personal decisions.

(which is also the reason I don't subscribe to any particular site's "rankings"....I prefer to make my own decisions, and I can live with the consequences win or lose, not some other site's BS rankings)

So you are one of the guys that frequents the FFC site for offseason mocks?  :)    Nice, I have been a frequent there for a number of years now.  I actually like their old school "grid layout", but it might have been over a year since I have been there. They may have changed it. It was very bare bones, but I liked the fact you could come and go all year long and mock with others.

TZM

Don't be afraid to admit when you are wrong.

I planted a flag pole for Ameer Abdullah this year, had him on a bunch of teams.  Dude did pretty much jackcrap all year, and his best game was against Minnesota when all of us sat him early in the year.  I hung on to this piece of turd because I was convinced that he was going to still somehow breakout and take my team to the playoffs.

Same goes for Doug Martin, perhaps one of the worst RBs in the league by a metrics standpoint.

I finally dropped these two idiots, but I waited far too long.

I’d add: don’t be afraid to draft 2 WRs from the same team. I was all in on diggs this year so when Thielen was available two to three rounds later I passed on him (did get him in one league where I missed out of diggs). There are examples of this all over the place (m Thomas and Ted Ginn is another one) You will take a rb and his backup from the same team, so don’t be afraid to take 2 starters. 

Also, quarterback play matters. I’d call this the Crabtree rule:  when a wr goes to a better qb, even if that wr was never “that good”. Late round consideration is essential. Woods, Goodwin, Sanu and Marvin Jones jr all all examples of this. In some cases is may take 2 seasons for them to be viable, but some qb situations are just better for the player. 

ANOTHER ADDITION -  I vow to take better notes all season long next year.

I mentioned in the original post, I tend to jot down notes every year as the season goes along.  It ranges from "Amari Cooper has been a bust yet again" to "Alex Collins looks great at times, but still seems to be in a bit of a timeshare" or whatever. (I just used these as examples, I did not go back through my notes)

But I am making a conscious effort to write down every thing I can, NOW....while the season is still fresh in my mind.   If there is anyone reading this, that does NOT do this type of exercise, you will be surprised at how helpful this can be.  You often notice little small things along the way, that you forget over the offseason.  Then when you get the notes back out as you start thinking about next year's draft, its very interesting what you took note of.

As I alluded to before, not only will you be surprised at how interesting this exercise can be, but you will also be surprised at whenever you "ignore" your notes, or do something that you swore not to do anymore (example, draft Cleveland running backs yet again) that it seems to backfire over and over.  The new seasons hype comes along, and you ignore things, and you fall into the same traps over and over.

This coming year and current end-of-season, I am vowing to take more notes and make more reflections of the season thats just ended.

Anything easy like this I can do that may give me a leg up on the next guy, and helps me to win more leagues, then I'm going to do it. :thumbup:

TZM

TRUST IN THY DRAFT BOARD!!!

Whenever I stick with my draft board I do very well. All the reading during the off-season , all the game watching during the season and more during the off-season over and over then when it comes draft time I talk myself into a different player only to regret the dumb decision because I deviated from my board. I have better seasons whenever I stick with my board. 

TRUST IN THY DRAFT BOARD!!!

Tex

TRUST IN THY DRAFT BOARD!!!

Whenever I stick with my draft board I do very well. All the reading during the off-season , all the game watching during the season and more during the off-season over and over then when it comes draft time I talk myself into a different player only to regret the dumb decision because I deviated from my board. I have better seasons whenever I stick with my board. 

TRUST IN THY DRAFT BOARD!!!

Tex
This.  I had a really unconventional draft somehow ending with Gronk and Kelce in addition to (MY) usual 3 stud RBs before getting a QB - it felt goofy at the time but it worked out.

Last chance saloon WR 1s (this year's was Jeffrey last year's was Hilton) have generally been sufficient - much easiet for a WR to crop up in-season than a RB.

-QG

With the news coming about about Gruden going to the Raiders, it dawned on me to think about the coaching changes a bit more this year.

I'm sure many here do, as do I typically, but I need to think about this even more in the coming offseason.  Seems like I never pay quite enough attention to the coaching switches and moves, but this year I vow to try and stay more on top of these things.

I tend to use this info generally as to aid in my "stay away/do NOT draft file". (avoid certain teams, and offenses)

The last 2 years after sub-optimal numbers, I sort of sworn off Amari Cooper, but this news and the apparent coming departure of Michael Crabtree , I may get sucked in again, if I can get Cooper cheaply.

TZM

I like the idea of taking notes in-season. I had Thielen in my main league this year, had noticed him last year, but had to be reminded by this very board and mocks to take him. He turned out to lead me to the silver, and if he'd been hit on that wide open pass in Green Bay, it would have been a title. 

What could have been! Oh well, I've already won my main league and finished second three times in seven years, so I'm happy. It's a competitive game, this is, and staying on top of it requires some darn skill.  

So...that said.

1) Never Underestimate What You're Looking At. Because right now, as an anecdote, I see Thielen as overvalued next year and won't be taking him too early. He's a great story, but after watching him more this year, he's not a true WR1. He's a slot guy. How much of that is Keenum we won't know, and Minnesota does things a little differently than most. I won't be buying overpriced shares of him when he's not a touchdown guy...more on that at point #5.  

2) Trust Talent. Another anecdote: I drafted Tyreek Hill as my WR1 this year in about the fifth or so round because everybody was down on Andy Reid's usage and Alex Smith. He was a clear WR1. When a guy scores that much on special teams and his usage dictates that he's a WR1 and they got rid of their WR1 to use him -- they're gonna use him.  

3) Suspension Drama and Getting In On The Cheap. Don't. I drafted Elliott this year and got by with a hodge-podge of things when he was out of my lineup. When he came back, it was to fanfare but little results that I needed. 

4) Kickers and Streaming D/ST. Pay attention, people! I just lost another championship because I fell asleep on a kicker. Or remove the requirements from your league. It segues to my next point...

5) Red Zone Usage Has anybody feasted on this stuff more than Jimmy Graham? It's been his whole career. I don't care what people and the metrics say, yards are great and total yards is dependent upon talent, but you have to figure out red zone usage to win this game. Witness -- ahem -- Zeke and Jason Garrett in Week 16. Or Marshawn Lynch in 2012, when most of his points came from Pete pounding the rock inside the five. Red Zone usage and tendencies are huge in fantasy football when touches count for six. Which leads me to my next point...

6) Team Tendencies For TE's. Has Cameron Brate been anything without Winston in the lineup? No. Which again segues

7) Quarterback Favorites. Always try to pick up these mid-year. If a quarterback finds a guy who can find soft spots in the zone and feels comfortable with him, I'm going with that WR or TE until the cows come home. They can be had on the wire. Anecdotally, Tony Romo and Laurent Robinson were the perfect example of this. Robinson shredded with Romo, never had a career afterward. 

And those are just things I look for and will keep looking for in 2018. Thanks for taking the time to read this. 

My biggest mistake 2 seasons running now is being impatient with a team's #1 WR. This season it was Robbie Anderson(owned him in 10 of 18), who I dropped in week 4 in 9 of my leagues. The year before it Rashard Mathews who I dropped in similar fashion. This likely changed my profit totals to a small portion rather than what could have been a bit more.

I need to be a little more patient with those guys that I identify as sleepers in the mid to late round targets. But as fine line works, not be too patient with others .... this FF thing is complicated. 

Also not drafting Gurley even once this year is going to make me re-evaluate the RB position a bit. 

My biggest mistake 2 seasons running now is being impatient with a team's #1 WR. This season it was Robbie Anderson(owned him in 10 of 18), who I dropped in week 4 in 9 of my leagues. The year before it Rashard Mathews who I dropped in similar fashion. This likely changed my profit totals to a small portion rather than what could have been a bit more.

I need to be a little more patient with those guys that I identify as sleepers in the mid to late round targets. But as fine line works, not be too patient with others .... this FF thing is complicated. 

Also not drafting Gurley even once this year is going to make me re-evaluate the RB position a bit. 
You are in 18 fantasy leagues?

I only want to do one thing differently in 2018 and that is to win 4 out of 8 of my dynasty leagues instead of 3.

You are in 18 fantasy leagues?
yup, it takes the agony of luck and injuries a bit out of the door due to higher volume of teams/players. It also helps me with lineup decisions, there is no obsessing over one league/lineup. Plus there is always the profit upside, I pay my yearly golfing dues with FF winnings for now 4 consecutive seasons. 

yup, it takes the agony of luck and injuries a bit out of the door due to higher volume of teams/players. It also helps me with lineup decisions, there is no obsessing over one league/lineup. Plus there is always the profit upside, I pay my yearly golfing dues with FF winnings for now 4 consecutive seasons. 
8, not 18

One thing I can agree on is that if Rodgers hadn't (Chris Farley voice) gone all PRIMA DONA with that GD HOLLYWOOD trainer, then he would've been doing proper COLLARBONE CURLS and it wouldn't have SHATTERED LIKE GLASS when 250 pounds of FULL STEAM LINEBACKER landed on it. (/Chris Farley voice)  :suds:
Live in a van down by the river /Chris Farley voice.

I probably say this every year, but I am going to load up on every rookie/young RB I can who has some modicum of talent and seemingly not mired in RBBC should the starter go down.

I was never able to recover from the loss of DJ and was too far down in waivers to get season savers like Drake, Collins, etc. If I can preemptively grab one or two of those guys next year, that could salvage my season.

With the seeming re-emergence of stud RBs, I plan on going lighter on WR, TE, K and DEF, all of which can be more easily replaced in waivers.

IN 2018 I VOW TO TRY TO -

#1 - STAY AWAY FROM THE CLEVELAND BROWNS BACKFIELD - (The addendum should be "until there is proof/or a track record of a competent running game")  This is literally every year, one of the big RB stories heading into the season. Typically its "there is going to be great value in the Cleveland backfield", but this year it was just all out hype, and O-Line praise.  This past offseason, I got "sucked in" to the hype yet again. I told myself like everyone did..."That line will be the best in football, Crowell should give you at least strong RB2 #s  etc. etc". Horse####. This is literally like the 4th year in a row, possibly 5, I talked myself into drafting a Browns RB early, and Crowell was just a cancer. I actually traded for Crowell after week 2 in one league, figuring the workload would at least make him a low end RB2. Well, finally before the week 8 Sunday I dropped him. Until that point he had 78 carries, and not even had broken 9 fantasy points in fantasy in any week. (Owners should know the story - that week was a London game, vs a stout MINNESOTA defense. It was an easy cut, then he promptly got his first TD of the year.)  :wall:     All that Crowell and situation BS aside, had I just not traded for him and avoided it completely, I may have had a far easier season in the 2 leagues I had Crowell in.  Maybe next year I will finally "JUST SAY NO!" and stay away from that scenario altogether.  (Now, I want to state, our leagues are start 3WRs, and I tend to go WR-WR early in drafts if I can, and get by on "RB2-ish type backs".  Those type value backs and scenarios are how I often get by, Cleveland has just been a notoriously bad RB scenario the last few years) 
Duke Johnson was RB #11 in my league.  Got him in the 10th round.  Saved my season and got me to the playoffs when I lost DJ in round one.  You just drafted the wrong Clevland RB.  

Users who are viewing this thread