What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump and the FBI (1 Viewer)

@Bozeman BruiserThese are the documents obtained in the Foia suit about McCabe.

- You can see on p. 133 the email where McCabe informed Comey he was working with the WSJ. The basic underlying basis for the claim that McCabe had lied was that supposedly he had not informed the FBI Director of his activities on that. Clearly the DOJ was never going to be able to prove that.

- McCabe has an ongoing lawsuit against the DOJ, which is a separate process, so I'm guessing more will come out of that about what happened here.

- There's more here. - Obviously you don't have to accept the analysis or the claims here but the original source documents are available in case you ever have the curiosity to determine whatever you may yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

The tensions between the office, the Justice Department and the White House date back further than the tumult in the Stone case. They have been simmering since at least last summer, when the office’s investigation of Andrew G. McCabe, a former top F.B.I. official whom the president had long targeted, began to fall apart.

Mr. Shea’s predecessor, Jessie K. Liu, a lawyer whom Mr. Trump had appointed to lead the office in 2017, pressed the McCabe case even after one team of prosecutors concluded that they could not win a conviction. After a second team was brought in and also failed to deliver a grand jury indictment, Ms. Liu’s relationship with Mr. Barr grew strained, people close to them said. She left the position this year, though she and Mr. Barr have both stressed to associates that her departure was amicable.

The McCabe case had always been politically charged: Investigators were scrutinizing an accomplished former top law enforcement official whom the president had repeatedly attacked for his deep involvement in the Russia investigation. The inquiry focused on whether he misled internal investigators examining the source of disclosures of sensitive information in a Wall Street Journal article.

But the case eventually fell apart because a number of hurdles proved too steep, including problematic witnesses and prosecutors’ concerns that Mr. Barr’s handling of the special counsel report would make their case look politicized, people familiar with the investigation said.

The two main prosecutors, Kamil Shields and David Kent, also came to believe that they could not get a jury to convict Mr. McCabe, the people said. They concluded that Mr. Trump’s relentless broadsides against Mr. McCabe had poisoned any potential jury, and they were worried about the appearance of a vindictive prosecution: Mr. McCabe revealed in early 2019 that he had opened the inquiry into whether Mr. Trump obstructed justice by firing James B. Comey as F.B.I. director.

Ms. Shields eventually left the case and the department. Mr. Kent also decided to quit the case. Two other prosecutors known for their aggressiveness, Molly Gaston and J.P. Cooney, took over.

An indictment seemed imminent after Ms. Liu and the deputy attorney general, Jeffrey A. Rosen, rejected pleas in September from Mr. McCabe’s lawyers to drop the investigation. The grand jury hearing the case was reconvened after months of inactivity, but the prosecution never appeared to advance.

The investigators’ difficulties began to creep into view in news reports, creating an awkward situation for Ms. Liu.

For months, her office refused to tell Mr. McCabe’s lawyers what was happening with the case. Informing a defense team eager to publicly clear its client would have almost certainly provoked the president’s anger, people close to Mr. McCabe speculated.

While the case remained in limbo, Ms. Liu had difficult conversations about it with officials at the main Justice Department, according to two people briefed on their discussions. ...
NYT

Ms. Liu sought a top Treasury Department job, and Mr. Barr made no attempt to stop her, according to three people briefed on her job search. A new role outside the Justice Department seemed to put to rest political issues for both her and Mr. Barr. Ms. Liu said she took the Treasury job only because she saw it as a good opportunity, people close to her said.

But Ms. Liu’s departure created unrest within her office.

She had initially emailed her office to say that she would remain in place until the Senate confirmed her to her new post, as is typical. But Mr. Barr then asked her to leave early in the new year, saying he was concerned he would have trouble finding a replacement if her confirmation process stretched on toward the end of Mr. Trump’s first term. Though Ms. Liu was taken aback, she eventually agreed to the terms but told few people in the U.S. attorney’s office.
- It's confirmed that Barr persuaded Liu to leave her position as the US Attorney for DC.

@squistion - Hey Squiz, I’m thinking of piling in detail about Trump’s war on the IC, State, DOD and other agencies besides DOJ in here. It just seems of a piece. I’ll leave it up to you if you want to change the thread title or if you think there’s a better thread for this or whatever, let me know, etc. - Thanks, have a good one.

The Z Machine said:
As Liu wss leaving her office for the last time, she was heard saying, "they're going to do me, Ronnie." *

* not a real quote
I think what Randy Credico has to say about his letter to the court in the Stone case was pretty revealing.

- Liu actually quit twice. It’s really unusual for a US Attorney to just quit and the DC position is especially plum. She’s obviously ethically driven but she clearly was trying to find a way out. So did Rachel Brand. The pressure comes in different ways for these folks, but have to remember, they can be threatened but also loved ones. I’m sure it’s been pretty harrowing for her. Now her career is stuck in limbo, she has no home, no place no position in US Government, her career.

Yes. That was discussed in Mueller’s and Horowitz’s reports. Mifsud was never discussed as a Russian agent, however he was in communication with Russian agents.
That's right, it was Comey who implied that about Mifsud. And Mifsud was never charged with lying to the FBI.

The newly declassified FBI 302s shed some interesting light on PapaD's FBI interviews.  It now looks like Mueller's team mislead the courts during sentencing.  Shocking from the FBI.  It really is.  

That's right, it was Comey who implied that about Mifsud. And Mifsud was never charged with lying to the FBI.

The newly declassified FBI 302s shed some interesting light on PapaD's FBI interviews.  It now looks like Mueller's team mislead the courts during sentencing.  Shocking from the FBI.  It really is.  
The FBI couldn’t find Mifsud again because Papadopoulas lies about his activities and whereabouts.

Trump's "Deep State" hit list

- So... apparently people in the WH leading the executive purge include Clarence Thomas’ wife and Barbara Ledeen, whom Mueller describes as participating in the Peter Smith project to obtain Hillary’s email data.

- The effort to discredit Liu and destroy her Treasury nomination is truly disgusting 

>>The Jessie Liu memo: Shortly before withdrawing the nomination of the former D.C. U.S. attorney for a top Treasury role, the president reviewed a memo on Liu's alleged misdeeds, according to a source with direct knowledge.<<

That was the story wasn't it...

What if I told you the declassified 302s show PapaD told the FBI where to find Mifsud 3 times and they choose not go get him.  
I dunno, but I do know the Deep Dark State is so awful they’ve released the 302s to begin with. Glad to post it when possible.

Max I guess what I recall is that Papadopoulas pleaded guilty to withholding the Mifsud info, not only to the FBI but also in open court. The judge heard it, considered it valid, accepted it. Papa cooperated and so only got 2 weeks. That’s on Papa’s own sworn evidence. I’m not sure what else you need even if we do look at the text of the 302.

Max I guess what I recall is that Papadopoulas pleaded guilty to withholding the Mifsud info, not only to the FBI but also in open court. The judge heard it, considered it valid, accepted it. Papa cooperated and so only got 2 weeks. That’s on Papa’s own sworn evidence. I’m not sure what else you need even if we do look at the text of the 302.
Because he got backed into a corner when Mueller asked the Judge for 6 months.  Those 302s clearly show he is cooperating with the FBI and trying to help them.  He gave them Mifsud 3 times and they failed to act.  So I find it insulting that the FBI would go to the courts and the press to say PapaD impeded their investigation and they couldn't get more information from Mifsud because of how uncooperative he was.  It's just a lie.  

It's not a good look for the FBI again to telling half truths.  The FBI let Mifsud slip away and then claimed PapaD was responsible for it.  Make me question if the FBI ever wanted to deep dive with Mifsud to begin with.  

Because he got backed into a corner when Mueller asked the Judge for 6 months.  Those 302s clearly show he is cooperating with the FBI and trying to help them.  He gave them Mifsud 3 times and they failed to act.  So I find it insulting that the FBI would go to the courts and the press to say PapaD impeded their investigation and they couldn't get more information from Mifsud because of how uncooperative he was.  It's just a lie.  

It's not a good look for the FBI again to telling half truths.  The FBI let Mifsud slip away and then claimed PapaD was responsible for it.  Make me question if the FBI ever wanted to deep dive with Mifsud to begin with.  
He had lawyers, and a judge to hear him. Please.

Funny how the FBI keeps doing that to people.  
Yes, read that again. Yes indeed, the DOJ gets people guilty of everything from shooting endangered birds to espionage and money laundering and passport forgery to plead guilty in thousands of cases every year. Outside of the Trumpverse, which one is a good exemplar of bad behavior that got resulted in an overturned case in your opinion?

@Megla @Max Power... here is the Rosenstein 302 interview - go to Page 115, or search "interview of rod rosenstein".

Note - the mainstream media obtained these. Not fox, not Judicial Watch, not any right wing blog. In fact it's Buzzfeed, the bad guys who were supposedly trying to sink Trump by posting the Steele dossier. And yet here they are going to great lengths to file suit against Trump's DOJ to make them release these supposedly incriminating documents. Weird huh?

In fact there have been 5 releases so far. Scads and scads of 302's.

And Max BF makes them searchable. - The FBI does not and the GOP Congressional and right wing sources do not. And LOL you were looking at RedState and Bongino and yet neither of them bothered to post the 302 - which I take it was readily available to them, No?

I'll get to Bongino's claims next.

Here's the RedState summary of the er analysis of the estimable Dan Bongino.

It only quotes the 302 once, and then only partially:

Rosenstein elaborated that based on his May 10 briefing, “there appeared to be no evidence the President was involved personally.”
That's it. That's the only point at which Bongino references an actual statement by Rosenstein, and then he and RedState don't give you the 302 for you to see for yourself..

Here's the full text of that portion of the interview:

...When Rosenstein learned Comey was informed of the termination by e-mail, he was "angry, ashamed, horrified, and embarrassed." It was also humiliating for Comey. Rosenstein was not copied on the e-mail to Comey, and was surprised the media portrayed the termination as Rosenstein's idea. At some point that evening, Sarah Flores told Rosenstein something she had heard from a contact at the White House. (Schools advised Rosenstein not to discuss the content of the conversation.) Based on the exchange with Flores, Rosenstein told her the Department of Justice "cannot participate in putting out a false story." Rosenstein opined Flores's White House contact was someone from the White House Chief of Staff's Office or Public Affairs. Flores informed Rosenstein the White House requested he attend a press conference on the termination but Rosenstein refused. Later that evening, Rosenstein received a short telephone call in his office from the President. Crowell was in Rosenstein's office at the time. After the telephone call, Rosenstein visited Sessions' office (not as a result of the call). Flores was in the secretary's vestibule outside Sessions office on a phone call. Once the call terminated, she informed Rosenstein it was a call from a "high ranking official at the White House." Sessions was not part of that conversation, and nothing significant was discussed between Rosenstein and Sessions at that time. By the evening of May 9, it was clear White House officials had been telling the story about the Comey termination in a manner "inconsistent with my experience and personal knowledge."

Events of May 10, 2017

Rosenstein first contacted Mueller on May 10 at 7:34 am, but "of course" he was thinking about the issue of appointing a special counsel before that time. Then, at 11:30 am, Rosenstein attended a previously scheduled meeting with the prosecutors assigned to the Russia investigation. This was the first regularly scheduled meeting on the matter. During this first meeting, and in light of all the controversy surrounding the investigation, Rosenstein declared, "In my acting capacity as the Attorney General, leave no stone unturned" or words to that effect. However, those assigned to the case are career prosecutors, so in his personal opinion, telling them to do so was unnecessary because he knew they would do the right thing. During his May 10 briefing, the team confirmed for Rosenstein the President was not a suspect. This was also Rosenstein's impression from his initial April 28 briefing he received from then Director Comey. Carl Ghattas may have attended this briefing, as well as several prosecutors.

Rosenstein elaborated that based on his May 10 briefing, "there appeared to be no evidence the President was involved personally." Rosenstein inquired whether they needed additional resources, and was informed there was no such need.

[REDACTED by Trump's DOJ - for b5 - ie they're just not gonna tell you what this paragraph is because they don't feel like it.]

Several times throughout the day on May 10, Sarah Flores gave Rosenstein "tick tock" summaries of news events related to Comey's termination, which Rosenstein explained was not a time line, but a sequence of events. Sometime later that evening, Flores showed him a tick tock summary he believed was reasonable, and authorized its release. Rosenstein and McGahn spoke later that evening on the subject (and before the summary's release). Both were stressed over the situation. Rosenstein's main reason for appointing a special counsel was due to public perception of the process. It did not reflect a lack of confidence. Rosenstein was inclined to appoint a special counsel immediately the morning of May 10. Rosenstein was concerned about his position at the Department of Justice and it caused him stress, but it did not influence his decision. Rosenstein was not present at the White House on May 10 when President Trump referred to Comey as a "nut job," does not know who else was present, and knows only what he read in the newspaper. ...

@Megla @Max Power... here is the Rosenstein 302 interview - go to Page 115, or search "interview of rod rosenstein".

Note - the mainstream media obtained these. Not fox, not Judicial Watch, not any right wing blog. In fact it's Buzzfeed, the bad guys who were supposedly trying to sink Trump by posting the Steele dossier. And yet here they are going to great lengths to file suit against Trump's DOJ to make them release these supposedly incriminating documents. Weird huh?

And Max BF makes them searchable. - The FBI does not and the GOP Congressional and right wing sources do not. And LOL you were looking at RedState and Bongino and yet neither of them bothered to post the 302 - which I take it was readily available to them, No?

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at it when I get a break from work.

Yes...thats what you get when you rely on Bongino and RedState and their analysis.  Similar to the past with Wikileaks.  Their leaknof documents would be accurate, but the analysis not so much.

Bongino made his comments on air, so that is harder to source.  RedState should have though.

I'm glad the MSM tried to obtain these.  They haven't really touched on them very much.  I'm more concerned with the content than what media group did what. 

I don't see the included paragraphs changing the content much.  Rosenstein stated "there appeared to be no evidence the President was involved personally" and indicated both Comey and the prosecutors did not view the president as "a suspect".

The one additional take away was that even after the team said they had nothing on Trump, Rod's response to was offer them MORE resources.  

It was an investigation that started with nothing and ended with nothing.   

Bongino made his comments on air, so that is harder to source.  RedState should have though.

I'm glad the MSM tried to obtain these.  They haven't really touched on them very much.  I'm more concerned with the content than what media group did what. 

I don't see the included paragraphs changing the content much.  Rosenstein stated "there appeared to be no evidence the President was involved personally" and indicated both Comey and the prosecutors did not view the president as "a suspect".

The one additional take away was that even after the team said they had nothing on Trump, Rod's response to was offer them MORE resources.  

It was an investigation that started with nothing and ended with nothing.   
The Mueller report, which addressed this period, is totally consistent with this, but the 302 also says “Rosenstein's main reason for appointing a special counsel was due to public perception of the process. It did not reflect a lack of confidence.”

The Mueller report points out that the subjects of the Fisa’s - Page, Manafort, Flynn and Papadopoulas - were under investigation, not Trump.

Its strange to me because there seems to be some sort of complaint that Trump was *not being targeted.

DC Circuit rules 2-1 that Congress doesn’t have standing to compel McGahn to testify.

- So yeah as a democracy we’re fairly well screwed in terms of investigating presidents unless the USSC steps in.
So the opinion is that because no individual was harmed in the ignoring of the subpoena, the court should not get involved in disputes between the executive and legislative branches?

If the 3rd branch can't settle disputes between the other 2, why do we have this structure at all?

Furthermore, what is the remedy for Congress when they want answers from the executive branch? Pass a law that says it's a felony to ignore a congressional subpoena? Then arrest the perp themselves? Time for Congress to staff a constablery?

So the opinion is that because no individual was harmed in the ignoring of the subpoena, the court should not get involved in disputes between the executive and legislative branches?

If the 3rd branch can't settle disputes between the other 2, why do we have this structure at all?

Furthermore, what is the remedy for Congress when they want answers from the executive branch? Pass a law that says it's a felony to ignore a congressional subpoena? Then arrest the perp themselves? Time for Congress to staff a constablery?
The way this panel presents it the remedy is conflict - either arrest and jail a witness in Congress or impeach and remove officials. So yes, a constabulary. It’s madness.

But there is a chance the DC Circuit en banc or the USSC sees that and hears the appeal. 

Hannity was a Trump supporter who publically applauded Manafort's hiring by the Trump Campaign. Hannity said, "Finally, we have an adult in the room" when Manafort was hired. During the campaign, Hannity tailored his shows to the agenda Manafort suggested.
- Gates.

GORDON said he hoped the Russian investigation was very thorough. GORDON thinks TRUMP must be guilty of something. He is constantly ripping people off. TRUMP lies all the time and surrounds himself with people who don?t tell the truth. GORDON explained HICKS had lied about contact with Russians. GORDON thinks she probably lied to protect TRUMP whether she knew anything or not.
- JD Gordon.

LEWANDOWSKI explained he told PAGE he could do whatever he wanted because he didn't speak for TRUMP. The whole foreign policy team was a scam to get something on paper for the Washington Post editorial board meeting.
- Lewandowski

GORDON quit working for the campaign on August 10, 2016 because he was tired of working so hard for free and they would not pay him like they had promised they would. GORDON was offered a position with the Presidential Transition Team but said he wouldn't show up until he got a check and he never received payment. DEARBORN had been getting  [redacted] month since April. The campaign was shady and dishonest.
- Gordon

GORDON quit working for the campaign on August 10, 2016 because he was tired of working so hard for free and they would not pay him like they had promised they would. GORDON was offered a position with the Presidential Transition Team but said he wouldn't show up until he got a check and he never received payment. DEARBORN had been getting  [redacted] month since April. The campaign was shady and dishonest.
Trump; always the crook

In March 2016, PAPADOPOULOS spoke to the press and told GORDON and PHARES about it. After that PAPADOPOULOS was told to stop talking to the press. GORDON explained that he shouldn't have brought up the PUTIN thing either. Eventually CLOVIS was pushed out of his role. CLOVIS had brought on PAPADOPOULOS and PAGE who were bad news for the campaign. made in a BBC interview. CLOVIS wanted to give PAPADOPOULOS a second chance. They were worried that if they fired PAPADOPOULOS he would go to the press and tell them that the foreign policy advisor team was a scam.
- Gordon

Gates stated that Donald Trump ?hated? Nikki Haley. Gates stated that it was known among Trump's advisors that [redacted b7C] Vice President Mike Pence has all the ties in Congress amongst the administration. Gates pointed out that President Trump and Senator Mitch McConnell hated each other. Gates believes that Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, as well as several other cabinet members, merely accepted their roles to obtain a divestment tax credit for their portfolios.
- Gates.

Users who are viewing this thread